PDA

View Full Version : Stop putting price tags on my labels

theDon
05-14-2010, 09:02
Does this piss anyone else off? Whether it's a collectible dusty or higher priced bottling, some stores insist on putting price tags directly on the label and when you try to remove them it tears a hole in it. I want my bottles to look nice when displayed on the bar, not have to hide them because the labels are f-ed up. I've even seen prices written on the label with red permanent markers, what's that about. Some stores have no clue. I know it's about what's in the bottle, but seriously STOP this barbaric practice liquor store owners. Thank you!

unclebunk
05-14-2010, 09:11
Does this piss anyone else off? Whether it's a collectible dusty or higher priced bottling, some stores insist on putting price tags directly on the label and when you try to remove them it tears a hole in it. I want my bottles to look nice when displayed on the bar, not have to hide them because the labels are f-ed up. I've even seen prices written on the label with red permanent markers, what's that about. Some stores have no clue. I know it's about what's in the bottle, but seriously STOP this barbaric practice liquor store owners. Thank you!

I'm with you, man. I find it annoying as hell too and have even said something to store owners once or twice. They simply looked at me like I was from Mars. But of all the surface area that you can attach a price sticker to a bottle, why directly on the label?

harshest
05-14-2010, 09:56
Word.

Although I only run into this when I buy stuff at the supper market. The local liquor store doesn't put prices on the bottle.

theDon
05-14-2010, 10:07
Word.

Although I only run into this when I buy stuff at the supper market. The local liquor store doesn't put prices on the bottle.

Well it's only legal to sell liquor in liquor stores in Texas.

I just don't understand why they can't put prices on the shelves where they belong. That way if they need to chang the price they don't have to keep putting sticker after sticker on the bottle every time they jack up the price.

Although I have gotten some bourbon cheaper by peeling off the new price tag to reveal an older lower price underneath. If they say the price isn't right I say I won't buy it if it's more and they usually let me have it for the old price. Is that so wrong?

mjomalle
05-14-2010, 10:09
Although I have gotten some bourbon cheaper by peeling off the new price tag to reveal an older lower price underneath. If they say the price isn't right I say I won't buy it if it's more and they usually let me have it for the old price. Is that so wrong?

I wouldn't brag about this.

theDon
05-14-2010, 10:13
I wouldn't brag about this.

Well they are wrong jacking up the price on old stock. You sell out the old stock at the appropriate price from when it was bought and when you get new stock, then you raise the price to current pricing. I'm just righting a wrong here. If they are going to be deceptive then I will too. At least if the prices are on the shelf, they could hide the fact that they are raising prices on older stock.

mjomalle
05-14-2010, 10:18
Well they are wrong jacking up the price on old stock. You sell out the old stock at the appropriate price from when it was bought and when you get new stock, then you raise the price to current pricing. I'm just righting a wrong here. If they are going to be deceptive then I will too. At least if the prices are on the shelf, they could hide the fact that they are raising prices on older stock.

That is preposterous. Why would they not raise the price on their merchandise anytime they see fit? What could possibly be deceiving about that?

theDon
05-14-2010, 10:24
That is preposterous. Why would they not raise the price on their merchandise anytime they see fit? What could possibly be deceiving about that?

Just my opinion. It's not like the supplier went to them and said, "Hey you owe us x amount of money from that case of booze you bought from us 2 years ago because it costs more now." You are right they can raise prices anytime, but it's just greedy if it's old stock.

And in my defense I only did that one time when a bottle of Old Charter 12 year had a $25 price tag on it and the price tag underneath was $20. That just ain't right.

callmeox
05-14-2010, 10:25
Move to Ohio and you won't have to worry since the prices are on the shelf.

There's also that little issue with is having no dusty bottles anywhere in retail, but what we have is unmarked by stickers.

CorvallisCracker
05-14-2010, 11:04
Move to Ohio and you won't have to worry since the prices are on the shelf.

There's also that little issue with is having no dusty bottles anywhere in retail, but what we have is unmarked by stickers.

Same thing in Oregon.

cowdery
05-14-2010, 11:15
Where are all the free marketers?

Except as restricted by law, retailers can price their merchandise however they want and change the prices as they see fit. The control is supposed to be the free market, wherein if a business gets too greedy a competitor will undercut them. This web site seems to be full of people who love the free market except when the price of bourbon is involved.

People also persist in this naive assumption that prices are related to costs, when the relationship is indirect at best. Any good business person sets prices according to what the market will bear, period.

I'm not talking about the original subject of the thread, which is geeky and kind of cute. I'm talking about the people who think it's wrong for retailers to increase prices on merchandise that's already on the shelf, which is an appropriate and normal business practice.

doubleblank
05-14-2010, 11:19
No one complains when they reduce the price 25% because it's been sitting on the shelf for 10 years. When clearing shelf space......costs can be completely ignored.

Randy

Ultra
05-14-2010, 11:22
I love this thread.

theDon
05-14-2010, 11:30
I love this thread.

Well I do too now that Mr. Cowdery has posted a comment. I feel special, although I don't know what to say about him thinking I'm a geek (aren't we all) and kinda......cute?:grin:

hectic1
05-14-2010, 11:49
Just my opinion. It's not like the supplier went to them and said, "Hey you owe us x amount of money from that case of booze you bought from us 2 years ago because it costs more now." You are right they can raise prices anytime, but it's just greedy if it's old stock.

And in my defense I only did that one time when a bottle of Old Charter 12 year had a $25 price tag on it and the price tag underneath was $20. That just ain't right. Ever heard of anything called a carrying cost? Even though they bought those old dusties years ago it cost them money to have them sitting on the shelves...each year they sit there the more the bottle costs the liquor store...

CorvallisCracker
05-14-2010, 11:53
Ever heard of anything called a carrying cost? Even though they bought those old dusties years ago it cost them money to have them sitting on the shelves...each year they sit there the more the bottle costs the liquor store...

Them Swiffer refills ain't cheap.

unclebunk
05-14-2010, 12:04
Them Swiffer refills ain't cheap.

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

harshest
05-14-2010, 12:05
I love how topics on this board seem to get off topic rather quickly. :stickpoke:

ILLfarmboy
05-14-2010, 12:05
It is not what the product cost the retailer plus the mark up, it is what it will cost the retailer to replace the bottle + his mark up, at the time of the sale, that determines the correct pricing.

Pealing the newer price sticker off is like theft.

If I bought gas out of your fuel barrel, would you charge me what you paid for it this spring (when fuel prices were lower) or what it will cost you to replace it?

ILLfarmboy
05-14-2010, 12:09
Where are all the free marketers?

Late to the party............

...........I just got my internet back up. No more struggling with my Blackberry......I need to download I Spell again though.....

theDon
05-14-2010, 12:17
It is not what the product cost the retailer plus the mark up, it is what it will cost the retailer to replace the bottle + his mark up, at the time of the sale, that determines the correct pricing.

If I bought gas out of your fuel barrel, would you charge me what you paid for it this spring (when fuel prices were lower) or what it will cost you to replace it?

Well first of all the guy wouldn't be able to replace Charter 12 and second he knew the price was wrong, but because he would rather sell the bottle than have me walk out without a sale he sold it at the old price anyway. His choice not mine. I think dusty bottles should be like cars. They aren't going to sell last years model car for full the price of this years model, even though the car is still technically "new."

Also riddle me this. An experience dusty hunter taught me to look at the back of a shelf for dusty and to always check all the price tags, because sometimes not all of them get the mark-up. Is it wrong to take that bottle that didn't get the mark-up to the register and pay the lower price? Cause I've done that too. Are you going to call me a thief again?

mjomalle
05-14-2010, 12:23
Well first of all the guy wouldn't be able to replace Charter 12 and second he knew the price was wrong, but because he would rather sell the bottle than have me walk out without a sale he sold it at the old price anyway. His choice not mine. I think dusty bottles should be like cars. They aren't going to sell last years model car for full the price of this years model, even though the car is still technically "new."

Also riddle me this. An experience dusty hunter taught me to look at the back of a shelf for dusty and to always check all the price tags, because sometimes not all of them get the mark-up. Is it wrong to take that bottle that didn't get the mark-up to the register and pay the lower price? Cause I've done that too. Are you going to call me a thief again?

First. A Car Dealer can mark up last year's model if they want to. It is unlikely since the market probably won't bear the price.

Second. There is a difference between picking the bottle with the lower price and deviously changing the price marked on a bottle.

ILLfarmboy
05-14-2010, 12:24
Well first of all the guy wouldn't be able to replace Charter 12 and second he knew the price was wrong, but because he would rather sell the bottle than have me walk out without a sale he sold it at the old price anyway. His choice not mine. I think dusty bottles should be like used cars. They aren't going to sell last years model car for full the price of this years model, even though the car is still technically "new."

Point well taken about not being able to replace the Charter 12.

To answer your riddle. No it is not wrong. If the wrong price is placed on an item, the buisness should eat their mistake. They should honer the "advertised" price.

theDon
05-14-2010, 12:30
First. A Car Dealer can mark up last year's model if they want to. It is unlikely since the market probably won't bear the price.

Second. There is a difference between picking the bottle with the lower price and deviously changing the price marked on a bottle.

Well we all have done stupid things when we were younger. And I didn't change the price, my curiosity just got the best of me and I wanted to see what the price used to be. It was at that point I decided the guy was a crook and decided to buck the system. If that's the worst thing I do in my life, then I'm pretty sure I can still hold my head high when I walk through those pearly gates!

Enabler
05-14-2010, 13:25
Several things: First, peeling the label off does not seem kosher to me. If you wanted to take it up and say that the old price was lower, would you give it to me? That is bargaining. Taking the label off, unless you tell them you did, smacks of trying to get away with something.

In terms of pricing. In pricing theory, costs and age have little to do with pricing. Basically you should price at what maximizes your profit. Not necessarily on that item, but on your sales. Higher price but lower sales might be correct, or lower price higher sales. It really requires knowledge of a lot of other things. You could look to a few true aphorisms. "Whatever the market will bear" and "What is the value of gold? Whatever someone will pay for it."

And in terms of honoring mistakes, I tend to disagree with that. If it is an honest mistake, then that is what it is. If a retailer mistakenly advertised cars at $25.00 instead of $25,000 due to a printing or decimal problem, should they be held to that even though they might go broke? I don't think so.

And in terms of labels on the labels, they should be whipped on the steps of their club.

unclebunk
05-14-2010, 13:50
Alright, enough already about the sticker removal. Don, that'll cost you three Hail Marys and three Very Old Bartons. Penance served!

Ultra
05-14-2010, 13:53
Alright, enough already about the sticker removal. Don, that'll cost you three Hail Marys and three Very Old Bartons. Penance served!

If by cost you mean he has to drink them then by all means punish me too!!

theDon
05-14-2010, 13:55

Thank you! And it will have to be 3 Tom Moores cause we don't get VOB here. I'm also going to bourbon mass tomorrow in Houston.

unclebunk
05-14-2010, 14:16
If by cost you mean he has to drink them then by all means punish me too!!

It is so declared! Drink up!:grin:

Thank you! And it will have to be 3 Tom Moores cause we don't get VOB here. I'm also going to bourbon mass tomorrow in Houston.

Tom Moores will do. Go in peace, brother!

CorvallisCracker
05-14-2010, 14:31
I love how topics on this board seem to get off topic rather quickly. :stickpoke:

Okay, on topic:

I guess it all depends on where they put the price tag. I mean, if they put it on the wrong place on my Dickel, how can I be sure I'm getting Old No 12 Brand? I could be getting Old No 4 Brand, or Old No 73 Brand, or even (shudder) the accursed Old No 27 Brand! :bigeyes:

foxflyer5
05-14-2010, 14:38
i would be quite annoyed with a misplaced price tag. most places around here have it listed on the shelves. but there is one place that writes the price on the bottles with a wax crayon or market or something. slightly annoying, but easy enough to wash off.

ErichPryde
05-14-2010, 17:21

You forgot about inflation, which is particularly necessary to involve when we're talking about dusties from 30 years ago. The 20 dollars it was retailing at then is not going to cover the cost of what it is now.

Special Reserve
05-14-2010, 17:23
On more than one occasion I've purchased bourbon that was incorrectly priced. If I saw some thing on a shelf that I wanted and knew was incorrectly priced I was purchase one and if it scanned true to the marked price I'd ask for another. If it scanned at the correct higher price I'd ask for the advertised price. I have yet to get a merchant to take my offer. Then I decide if I want it.

When a merchant has something that I want at more that the state controlled minimum I'd ask for the minimum price even if I'd pay the state price. Most of the time I say the difference. Mostly I do that for sport. I don't mind if a merchant charges more but I really hate it when they advertise that they charge the minimum price but mark the prices of on their better products. I won't buy from them.

Now about the price tags, alcohol pads work great for removing the sticker glue without damaging the label but you must be careful.

ILLfarmboy
05-14-2010, 17:51
You forgot about inflation, which is particularly necessary to involve when we're talking about dusties from 30 years ago. The 20 dollars it was retailing at then is not going to cover the cost of what it is now.

You are right, but when I wrote the post I wasn't thinking of dusties. I was centering on Chuck"s post up thread : "I'm not talking about the original subject of the thread, which is geeky and kind of cute. I'm talking about the people who think it's wrong for retailers to increase prices on merchandise that's already on the shelf, which is an appropriate and normal business practice." I was so shocked that Chuck agrees with me, or I should say, I agree with him, I didn't make myself as clear as I should have.

ErichPryde
05-14-2010, 17:57
You are right, but when I wrote the post I wasn't thinking of dusties. I was centering on Chuck"s post up thread : "I'm not talking about the original subject of the thread, which is geeky and kind of cute. I'm talking about the people who think it's wrong for retailers to increase prices on merchandise that's already on the shelf, which is an appropriate and normal business practice." I was so shocked that Chuck agrees with me, or I should say, I agree with him, I didn't make myself as clear as I should have.

You and I are in agreement as well, but I find this less shocking than I might have some time ago. ;)

nblair
05-14-2010, 18:38
There is a place in Louisville I wish would put price stickers on the label. Instead they have NO prices listed, not on the bottle or the shelf.

I guess they do have prices on the shelf, but they are all random and incorrect. JRPS for $59.99? I couldn't believe it! Nope that's $95.99. BMH Rye 23 Year for $79.99? Oh sorry, that $139.99. It's maddening.

flsean
05-14-2010, 18:43
Having worked in different retail for a while, I hate stickers on product, period. Not only is it just a waste of time, especially when price changes come through, but it always leads to problems with people pulling off tags and putting them on more expensive items, or items not getting re stickered during price changes. It is just a whole lot easier and more cost effective to have the prices on the shelves- much easier to maintain pricing accuracy when you only have to change one or two pricing signs than 100.

It just doesn't make sense to put a sticker on in such a way that it damages a potentially collectible item, but I've seen it happen enough to hate the practice as well. I think the thing is that people in many liquor stores just don't realize that some people aren't buying just to get sauced. :puke: I've noticed that in stores that do carry higher end wines, they don't seem to use price tags though.

jburlowski
05-15-2010, 05:57
Well we all have done stupid things when we were younger. And I didn't change the price, my curiosity just got the best of me and I wanted to see what the price used to be. It was at that point I decided the guy was a crook and decided to buck the system. If that's the worst thing I do in my life, then I'm pretty sure I can still hold my head high when I walk through those pearly gates!

When you go, take a bottle of WLW for St. Peter. Even heaven doesn't get much of an allocation of those babies. :cool: