PDA

View Full Version : From across the pond

sjoerd972
05-19-2010, 00:42
Hi there,

I'm new to the boards. I have been 'testing' some bourbons, but here in the Netherlands, it is hard to find knowledgeable advise on what to buy. There is a lot available, but not many people know a lot about American Whiskey in general.

I am not new to Single Malt, so there is a bit of a base to start building upon. Hoping to find good advise and loads of knowledge about bourbon and other good American stuff here!

The Boards look promising!

p_elliott
05-19-2010, 07:35
Welcome aboard, There are a couple of post on this thread about basic bourbons for beginners. You may want to check them out. Bourbon and malts are worlds away from each other so your going to be starting all over again. Do some reading on the boards, asks as many questions as you want we don't mine answering them. Then post what you have learned for yourself or what you think. Post often and have fun, make some new friends. With the time difference chat may not work out for you but keep an eye out for it when your on line if you see people in there drop by. It's fun and informative.

sjoerd972
05-19-2010, 12:21
Hi p_elliott,

I have realised that there is an incredible lot to discover in american whiskey, and mostly in bourbon.

I'm not even up to scratch on brands and distilleries yet, so there is so much to learn. Today I've bought a Wild Turkey Rare Breed.

I'll start reading the beginners posts! That is a good tip of course.

Maybe an odd question, but is there a specific reason to focus on bourbon on this forum, or has it just grown that way? I ask this since there are so many non-Kentucky distilleries in production in the States, especially since the 'artisan' boom.

Cheerio!

Enabler
05-19-2010, 12:41
But the only bourbon is bourbon.

fishnbowljoe
05-19-2010, 13:01
Welcome to SB Sjoerd. I always find it interesting when we get new members from places other than the States. I appreciate hearing things about the bourbon/spirits world, from a different perspective.

This is a great place to learn about bourbon. As p-elliott stated, do some research of some of the old (and new) threads here. There's lots and lots of information to be found. If you can't find what you're looking for, go ahead and ask some questions. That's why we're hear. To learn about, and share our knowledge and fondness for bourbon.

I will take it upon myself to answer your first question. :cool: Straightbourbon was created as a bourbon specific site. However, there are different forums available on the site where you can post about other spirits and such. Most folks aren't quite so serious that they won't tolerate talk of any other refreshments. :lol: Although..........:skep: In case you can't tell, we like to have a little fun too. As I like to say, "It's all good!"

Again, welcome, and I hope you enjoy the site. Cheers! Joe

p_elliott
05-20-2010, 07:05
There are other sites that are the opposite that focus primarily on scotch buy will tolerate the discussion of other whiskies including bourbon. As far as I know there are only 3 web sites that are primarily focused on bourbon and this is the biggest and most active one. I do participate in all three. Other American whiskey I don't think have the sales that Bourbon does. Rye whiskey is a small market and American blended whiskey is a small market, the micro distilleries and rectifiers are small markets.

Wild Turkey Rare Breed is a very good bourbon you should like it. By the way people on here use lots of abbreviations and acronyms there is a list of them at the top of this thread you may want to print it out.