PDA

View Full Version : If you were going to KY, what would you "have" to buy?

woody
05-19-2010, 04:15
If you were going to KY, what are your "must have's"? Things not available in your home state (Michigan in my case), or anywhere else for that matter. Room will be an issue, so I'm thinking 6-12 bottles. I will be staying in Georgetown, so any recommendations on where to buy are welcome as well.

Josh
05-19-2010, 07:11
I better get this in quick before the site crashes again...

I would recommend you stop at Party Source in Newport/Bellvue and at the Liquor Barn in Lexington.

What I like to do the most of in KY when I go down is stock up on stuff. I will get 1.75 ltr bottles of stuff that I can't get in that size or at all up here such as the following:

4 Roses Yellow Label
Old Forester Signature
VOB Bottled in Bond
Old Fitz Bottled in Bond
Ancient Ancient Age 10 y/o

I also try to get at least one bottle of Rittenhouse Rye and Mellow Corn, both bottled in bond. The Willet in the potstill "I Dream of Jeanie" bottle is a good choice too, as is Kentucky Vintage. If you can find any Virginia Gentleman 90 proof, I'd pick that up too. It's out of production and a good summertime pour that makes good juleps and manhattans. Also look for some of the HH brands that we don't get up here, like the white label 6 y/o HH or JTS Brown bonds.

If you make it to Party Source, be sure to pick up a Willet or two. Try one of their 13 y/o ones and/or the 3 y/o, if you like young 'uns. Also look for special releases that we don't get, like 4R Mariage.

Hope that wasn't too rambling and incoherent!

funknik
05-19-2010, 07:22
I would agree with Josh's recommendation of AAA 10yr, but would go for the Party Source's single barrel version.

wadewood
05-19-2010, 07:25
I would add to that list a 1.75l of Old Bourbon Hollow for about $23. This is a Jim Beam product, 100 proof BIB, and I think only available in KY.

harshest
05-19-2010, 07:27
I have only been to KY once and we stopped at the Beam Distillery for their "tour" and I can tell you not to buy any thing there. They wanted about $23 for JBW.

Anyways here is the partial list of Bourbons and other Whiskys that are on the Michigan Liquor Control list. I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with what we can get here so you can compare it to what they have. Besides I would imagine anything you get there would be less $.

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-10570_14173_15087---,00.html

Josh
05-19-2010, 07:36
I would agree with Josh's recommendation of AAA 10yr, but would go for the Party Source's single barrel version.

Absolutely. Great stuff. I bought a bottle of it back in April and it is very very good.

I have only been to KY once and we stopped at the Beam Distillery for their "tour" and I can tell you not to buy any thing there. They wanted about $23 for JBW.

Anyways here is the partial list of Bourbons and other Whiskys that are on the Michigan Liquor Control list. I would suggest that you familiarize yourself with what we can get here so you can compare it to what they have. Besides I would imagine anything you get there would be less $.

http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-10570_14173_15087---,00.html

Be sure to check the supplemental lists too, those come out once or twice a month.

bonneamie
05-19-2010, 18:45
You can do what I did on my last trip to KY and print out the Michigan bourbon list and compare what's available here and there and the prices. Sometimes it's not cheaper in KY, but certainly the variety, at least at the stores mentioned, is greater.

ThomasH
05-19-2010, 18:53
Party source still had some Virginia Gentleman 90 when I visited in April. They also had some 1L bottles Of Weller Antique 107 with the 7yr. age statement. I would only buy stuff I couldn't get at home and in as big a bottle as I could get/afford!

Thomas

OscarV
05-19-2010, 19:09
If you were going to KY, what are your "must have's"?

Oh well, whatever, nevernind.
The previous selections are OK first timers.

Josh
05-19-2010, 20:24
Oh well, whatever, nevermind.

Dipping into your 1990s CD collection, O? :lol:

ello ello ello ello hello-oh

OscarV
05-20-2010, 02:20
Dipping into your 1990s CD collection, O? :lol:

ello ello ello ello hello-oh

just early morning coffee, real early.:skep:

Woody, also stop at Cork N Bottle in Covington, real good selection, you'll find something.

indyrider
05-22-2010, 06:22
+1 on Cork N Bottle...

Ive found most of my faves there over the party source....Weller 12 included!

Stadium Liquor is also a good stop and its right between PS and CnB

Indy

IronHead
05-22-2010, 07:00
+2 on Cork n Bottle. I stop by there whenever I am in Northern KY. They always have a decent selection of their own picked barrels. And if you are in Northern KY you definitely want to check out The Party Source. Evergreen Liquors in Louisville always has a decent selection as does Liquor Barn, but for whatever reason very few stores here do barrel selections.

fishnbowljoe
05-22-2010, 10:16
I would suggest a bottle of JTS Brown BIB. Also the current bottling of VSOF is pretty good. Joe

spun_cookie
05-22-2010, 11:09
You could always get a signed bottle of:

http://www.rainvodka.com/About/Contact

:D

OscarV
05-22-2010, 11:11
You could always get a signed bottle of:

http://www.rainvodka.com/About/Contact

:D

Hmmm,...organic now, impressive.:rolleyes:

tommyboy38
05-22-2010, 12:51
I always pick up some cheap bourbons that I've never seen before as souvenirs for my bourbon drinking friends.
The first trip down it was JTS Brown. The last trip I found Echo Spring and Prestige bourbon.

woody
05-24-2010, 05:29
so far I have picked up...

VOB BIB
AAA 10 yr
JTS Brown BIB
OLD FITZ BIB
JW DANT BIB
Willett Family Pot Still Reserve

There is 1 more, but cant for the life of me remember what it is right now. I tried the AAA 10yr last night. It is light years away from the 10 star. Much much better. Also tried Knob Creek at the hotel bar. Something about the Knob Creek that disagreed with my palate. Not sure what it was, but just not my thing. It seemed, disjointed. Like there was some flavor there that didnt belong. Maybe it was a dirty glass (it looked clean though). Anyway, I have to evaluate how much room, I'll have on the return trip. If I've got more room, I may stop somewhere on the way back and add to the list. Pretty happy thus far.

woody
05-24-2010, 05:36
Evan Williams 1783, was the other one I couldnt remember.

marco246
05-27-2010, 15:21
I was in Kentucky last month and a good friend gave me three bottles of bourbon to bring back in my luggage: PVWFR-23, PVWFR-15, and 4R SB/BS Limited Edition 2009. Now THAT'S friendship. I have ended up hoarding these wonderful whiskeys and breaking them out only on special occasions.

There are so many other interesting bourbons unavailable here in Hawaii that I contacted a store in Bellevue, KY, to get a supply of every-day drinkables. They sent me a mixed case which arrived yesterday and which contains:

--Very Old Barton BIB, 6/100
--VS Old Fitzgerald, 12/90
--Old Fitzgerald's 1849, nas/90
--Buffalo Trace, nas/90
--Old Charter, 10/86
--Eagle Rare SB, 10/90
--W.L. Weller Special Reserve, 7/90
--Old Weller Antique, nas/107
--Four Roses Small Batch, nas/90
--Jefferson's Presidential Select, 17/94
--Elijah Craig, 12/94
--Elijah Craig SB, 18/90

Drinking my way through these whiskeys is going to be a really pleasurable chore. Last night I started with the least expensive of the bunch, the Very Old Barton. Holy mack'al, Andy! How can such a good bourbon be so cheap? Why have I not known about this until now? What is the meaning of life? (Sorry--didn't mean to get carried away).

Anyway, since I can't get to Kentucky as often as I'd like, Kentucky can come to me--courtesy of the Party Source and UPS.

Cheers!

Hawg73
05-27-2010, 17:42
I don't know what I would buy. But I would definitely splurge. Of course, if I was going to Kentucky I would listen to the bourbon "pros" here to get the scoop on what my shopping list should include.

Lost Pollito
05-27-2010, 18:46
I'd buy a 12 pack of Ale-8-one, and a Hot Brown. Then, probably a bottle of Ezra Brooks.:cool:

woody
05-27-2010, 19:47
Barely got all my stuff in the car, so not much room on the return trip. I did stop at the liquor barn in Louisville and picked up the FRSB liquor barn select, and Elijah Craig (I know I can get it in Michigan but I really like the stuff), and finally WTRB. Was tempted to try to fit more, but I may have had to leave one of the kids here in Kentucky. I dont think their mother would appreciate that.

craigthom
05-30-2010, 04:37
If I'd known you were heading through Louisville I could have told you where to stop for a good local beer. I'm not familiar with what's available in the Georgetown/Lexington area, but over here there's some fine beer.

woody
05-30-2010, 09:45
The decision to go back through Louisville was last minute. It just happened that the exit we stopped for the hotel was about half a mile from the Liquor Barn. I think next time I'm gonna rent a bigger car or mini van so we have more room. My Civic is just too small to haul everything I wanted to. I did try Kentucky Ale, and the Bourbon Barrel Kentucky Ale.

cowdery
05-30-2010, 13:42
I'd buy a 12 pack of Ale-8-one, and a Hot Brown. Then, probably a bottle of Ezra Brooks.:cool:

Best advice so far, though I'd probably skip the Ezra Brooks.

bwh1927
05-30-2010, 16:02
Hi,
I am from Daviess County, Kentucky. Here is a brief answer to your question:
1. You must take at least one of the bourbon tours. There is the Jim Beam tour in Clermont, the Heaven Hill Tour in Bardstown, and the Maker's Mark tour at Star Hill Farms. Either of these tours will be about a one hour drive from Georgetown.
2. There are two brands of Bourbon that you might want to purchase: JIM BEAM 7 Year Old.....to commerate University of Kentucky's 7 NCAA Basketball Titles. and REBEL YELL, a wheated bourbon that is not sold north of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Hope this infomation is helpful:

bwh1927
05-30-2010, 16:06
This is Daviess County.....forgot to mention that Jim Beam 7year old is sold exclusively in Kentucky

Josh
05-30-2010, 16:47
Hi,
I am from Daviess County, Kentucky. Here is a brief answer to your question:
1. You must take at least one of the bourbon tours. There is the Jim Beam tour in Clermont, the Heaven Hill Tour in Bardstown, and the Maker's Mark tour at Star Hill Farms. Either of these tours will be about a one hour drive from Georgetown.
2. There are two brands of Bourbon that you might want to purchase: JIM BEAM 7 Year Old.....to commerate University of Kentucky's 7 NCAA Basketball Titles. and REBEL YELL, a wheated bourbon that is not sold north of the Mason-Dixon Line.
Hope this infomation is helpful:

Not to be picky, but a slight correction, Rebel Yell & Rebel Reserve are both available in Michigan, among many other Nothern states.

silverfish
05-30-2010, 17:11
Not to be picky, but a slight correction, Rebel Yell & Rebel Reserve are both available in Michigan, among many other Northern states.

Yes, I can find Rebel Yell in NY.

Halifax
05-30-2010, 21:25
This is Daviess County.....forgot to mention that Jim Beam 7year old is sold exclusively in Kentucky

They sale JB 7 here in NC.

bwh1927
05-30-2010, 22:16
Sorry........The Rebel Yell brand was sold a few years ago to an outfit in Missouri. It was speculated that he would sell it in the North....I did not realize that had happened yet.........I accept my being educated..........

ebo
05-31-2010, 07:39
Yes, I can find Rebel Yell in NY.

We have it here in Ohio, as well.

cowdery
05-31-2010, 12:59
Rebel Yell has not been exclusively Southern for more than 20 years. In the early 1990s, the company that is now Diageo tried to turn it into a worldwide brand, though without success. In 1999 it was sold to the company that is now Luxco in St. Louis. The whiskey itself is made in Louisville by Heaven Hill.

sgtgto
05-31-2010, 23:00
Rebel Yell has not been exclusively Southern for more than 20 years. In the early 1990s, the company that is now Diageo tried to turn it into a worldwide brand, though without success. In 1999 it was sold to the company that is now Luxco in St. Louis. The whiskey itself is made in Louisville by Heaven Hill.

I have some late '80s bottles that say "Especially for the Deep South".

cowdery
05-31-2010, 23:32

Which is revealing, because there is a difference between "especially" and "exclusively."

My guess would be that as long as the Van Winkles owned Stitzel-Weller, which is until 1972, they only distributed it in the South. The subsequent owners were less particular, but the suggestion that it was a "Southern thing" was probably good marketing.

Josh
06-01-2010, 06:04

My guess would be that as long as the Van Winkles owned Stitzel-Weller, which is until 1972, they only distributed it in the South. The subsequent owners were less particular, but the suggestion that it was a "Southern thing" was probably good marketing.

It's always struck me as funny that Rebel Yell "especially for the deep south" has always been made in Louisville. It seems to be similar to the salsa made in "NEW YORK CITY?!"

cowdery
06-01-2010, 09:03
It's always struck me as funny that Rebel Yell "especially for the deep south" has always been made in Louisville. It seems to be similar to the salsa made in "NEW YORK CITY?!"

Yes and no. While Kentucky and Tennessee were officially neutral during the War of Northern Aggression (as I was taught to call it when I lived in Kentucky), and Louisville was always in Northern hands, Louisville has also long styled itself as "the gateway to the South." Many Kentuckians favored the South and many enlisted and fought on the Southern side, including the sons of William L. Weller and many other whiskey-makers.

Here, from the time line compiled by Mike Veach, is how Rebel Yell began in 1936.

Rebel Yell was created to personify the South by Charles 'Charlie' Farnsley, a nephew of Alex T Farnsley, a Stitzel-Weller executive. It was originally sold on a limited, personally controlled distribution. Charlie went on to become Mayor of Louisville and a Kentucky Congressman.

Dr. François
06-01-2010, 21:04
Back to the original point...

Buy everything that is BIB. To my knowledge, we only have six widely-available 100 proof bourbons in Michigan: FR1B, Henry McKenna, OGDBIB, RHF, Knob Creek, and Old Forrester Signature. Only one carries the BIB designation (OGD).

JTS Brown BIB is wonderful. You really can't go wrong with 100 proof.

craigthom
06-02-2010, 06:45

It's often said that Kentucky seceded from the Union in 1865.

Enabler
06-03-2010, 22:24
Not what the scorecard says.