PDA

View Full Version : New here

houstonevo8
05-25-2010, 20:16
I really just joined because I have a question on a bottle of bourbon me and my dad found cleaning out the old liquor cabinet.

An unopened bottle of schenley 1945. We were looking for something tastey to drink and found a bottle of this still corked in the liquor cabinet.

my dad said he got it many years as a wedding gift and never opened it. Is it worth anything?

Josh
05-25-2010, 21:10
I really just joined because I have a question on a bottle of bourbon me and my dad found cleaning out the old liquor cabinet.

An unopened bottle of schenley 1945. We were looking for something tastey to drink and found a bottle of this still corked in the liquor cabinet.

my dad said he got it many years as a wedding gift and never opened it. Is it worth anything?

Welcome! And probably not. What kind of whiskey is it? Candadian? Blended?

houstonevo8
05-25-2010, 21:32
Yes, its a canadian blend.

Josh
05-25-2010, 21:35
Yes, its a canadian blend.

Canadians generally don't have much value, in my experience. If you like Canadian whisky, I'd pop it open now or save it for a special occasion. Maybe your parents' wedding anniversary, next time it comes around.:grin:

Barrel_Proof
05-25-2010, 21:37
Is it worth anything?

About $12.50, if the labels don't have too many flea bites.

houstonevo8
05-25-2010, 22:47
Well thanks for the info!

Gillman
05-26-2010, 05:55
I think the Schenley distillery in Valleyfield, Quebec opened in 1945 (or close thereto). My suggestion would be to taste it alongside a current whisky made under that label, e.g., Schenley OFC or if you can't find that, any decent Canadian whisky, say Seagram VO. Which is better, and why?

Gary

OscarV
05-26-2010, 13:38
I just read all the answers to "the newbie" wanting some info, and I gotta say ya'll were very civil.
I like that.
Wasn't long ago that this poor guy would have been skinned alive for asking a whiskey question on this whiskey board.

Josh
05-26-2010, 14:02
I just read all the answers to "the newbie" wanting some info, and I gotta say ya'll were very civil.
I like that.
Wasn't long ago that this poor guy would have been skinned alive for asking a whiskey question on this whiskey board.

I've got too many skins already, I'm running out of places to hang them, so I won't be skinning anybody any time soon.:lol:

wadewood
05-26-2010, 14:18
Since it looks like maybe you are from Houston, I'll be kind and answer. If you are looking for a value for resell - if it resell market exists - then it is on ebay. That said, as noted, this bottle would not go for much. Canadian blends are not very sought after. Only a few old bourbons are worth much.

My advise is drink it with your dad - the sentimental value is worth way more than the resell value. As long as it is not cloudy, it should be fine to drink.

In case you are wondering why we are responding the way we do, the answer is in this sticky thread: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=9&a=3

sgtgto
05-26-2010, 14:23
The part I find annoying is that instead of asking the obvious question of: Is it still good? He asks... IS IT WORTH ANYTHING?!?!