PDA

View Full Version : New to Bourbon

nooga
05-26-2010, 06:05
My name is Mark and I am from Chattanooga, TN and recently have discovered that I love bourbon. I have not had the opportunity to try many bourbons yet and would love some suggestions on what to try next. What do you recommend for a newbie to try? I really like Buffalo Trace, Bulleit and thought Maker's Mark and Knob Creek. 1792 and Four Roses yellow label were the two I was least crazy about. Based on my likes/dislikes, what other bourbons should I try?

Josh56
05-26-2010, 12:45
New to the board and to Bourbon so I thought I'd glom onto this post instead of starting another. Hope you don't mind. So far I've tried Dickel, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Makers and I just opened a bottle of Sam Houston. For my new taste in bourbon, mellow and smooth are most important, and baring that in mind, Sam Houston has been the best I've tried followed by Knob and Dickel. I would love to try Dickel Barrel Select but it's hard to find in Vanc/Portland area and I don't want to special order a case. Any great recommendations to meet my tastes?

OscarV
05-26-2010, 12:50
Hey you two newbies!:grin:
Get some Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Four Roses Single Barrel.
If any of the retailers that you frequent has any Four Roses Barrel Strength of secificate recipes, then get the OESO.
The extra cost is worth it. IMHO.

CorvallisCracker
05-26-2010, 13:00
New to the board and to Bourbon so I thought I'd glom onto this post instead of starting another. Hope you don't mind.

Heck no. We like glom. Except when it gets in our hair.

So far I've tried Dickel, Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, Makers and I just opened a bottle of Sam Houston. For my new taste in bourbon, mellow and smooth are most important, and baring that in mind,

:bigeyes:

Bear in mind that there are ladies present.

Sam Houston has been the best I've tried followed by Knob and Dickel. I would love to try Dickel Barrel Select but it's hard to find in Vanc/Portland area and I don't want to special order a case.

When I was last at the Hyland Hills liquor store on Allen Boulevard in Beaverton (late February) they had several bottles.

Any great recommendations to meet my tastes?

If you like Knob Creek you'd probably like Baker's or Booker's, which are the same bourbon but in more concentrated form.

Welcome to SB.com!

Oh goody, another PacNW'ster. We'll get enough here yet for a local get together.

nooga
05-26-2010, 13:15
Interesting! I knew Booker's, Baker's, and Knob Creek were all made by Beam, but I wasn't sure if they were different recipes or the same recipe just aged and finished differently.

CorvallisCracker
05-26-2010, 13:22
Interesting! I knew Booker's, Baker's, and Knob Creek were all made by Beam, but I wasn't sure if they were different recipes or the same recipe just aged and finished differently.

They start out the same, but I believe the decision re which barrels will eventually be used for Beam vs KC vs Bakers vs Bookers is made fairly early, and the barrels are aged in different places (different locations in the same warehouse and/or different warehouses).

Commencing in 2006 the company began distilling at different proofs. That destined to be bottled as Beam is distilled at 135, that for KC at 130 and that for Baker's and Booker's at 125. It will be a few years before any of the lower-proof-distilled stuff is bottled.

sgtgto
05-26-2010, 13:26
That Dickel Barrel Select from the BHC is quite a find nowadays, and likely not to be seen in a control state.

sgtgto
05-26-2010, 13:30
My name is Mark and I am from Chattanooga, TN and recently have discovered that I love bourbon. I have not had the opportunity to try many bourbons yet and would love some suggestions on what to try next. What do you recommend for a newbie to try? I really like Buffalo Trace, Bulleit and thought Maker's Mark and Knob Creek. 1792 and Four Roses yellow label were the two I was least crazy about. Based on my likes/dislikes, what other bourbons should I try?

Not to forget about the original poster here! Welcome Mark. The Bulleit is high rye, so why not try the Old Grand Dad 114? And if you liked Maker's, why not try some Old Weller Antique?

Come often, read a lot, and stop on into the chat room in the evenings.. there is usually a few people in there. You click on the Gazebo forum at the top of the forums page and enjoy :)

Jake

callmeox
05-26-2010, 14:14
That Dickel Barrel Select from the BHC is quite a find nowadays, and likely not to be seen in a control state.

Ohio carries a Dickel Barrel Select that is listed at 10yo/86pf, though I'm sure it isn't the BHC packaging.

CorvallisCracker
05-26-2010, 14:23
Ohio carries a Dickel Barrel Select that is listed at 10yo/86pf, though I'm sure it isn't the BHC packaging.

The ones I've seen here in Oregon are not BHC.

nooga
05-26-2010, 14:29
Not to forget about the original poster here! Welcome Mark. The Bulleit is high rye, so why not try the Old Grand Dad 114? And if you liked Maker's, why not try some Old Weller Antique?

Come often, read a lot, and stop on into the chat room in the evenings.. there is usually a few people in there. You click on the Gazebo forum at the top of the forums page and enjoy :)

Jake

Thanks for the suggestions, and I am sure I will drop by the chat from time to time.

fishnbowljoe
05-26-2010, 14:38
Welcome Mark and Josh. Glad to have you. Not much I can add to what's already been said, so.... Cheers! Joe

Hawg73
05-27-2010, 16:44
Hey Mark. It was good chatting with you the other night. This site is fantastic and the members are really friendly and so damn smart when it comes to bourbon. I learn a lot every day.

Res/st-or
05-27-2010, 17:24
welcome Mark... I'll tell ya, I've really been enjoying my Henry McKenna Bottled in Bond lately... If you can find it around, you should try it... Reasonably priced.

Jeff

woody
05-27-2010, 19:06

Jake

Totally 2nd the OGD 114 & OWA. Also Wild Turkey Rare Breed. All really good. But maybe I'm not the best one to listen too. I seem to like everything.

nooga
05-28-2010, 17:47

I went with the Weller Antique, and it was a great flavor but it is really strong. I drank it on the rocks, and it became more to my taste as the ice melted and cut it a bit. Good suggestion, thanks!

exthalion
06-01-2010, 14:15
Hey someone said something about a chat room tonight? Whats that about? Where is it at?

p_elliott
06-02-2010, 07:23
Hey someone said something about a chat room tonight? Whats that about? Where is it at?

We have a chat room called the gazebo ( if you stick around long you'll learn why). It's at the top of the forums page, it's officially Thursday and Sunday nights but people are in there most every night. It says at the bottom of the forums page who is in chat. Stop by you'll have a good time and maybe learn a thing or two in the process. When I started on here I finally got the nerve to go into chat and a couple of very experienced members took me under their wing so too speak. When it was just them and me in chat I could ask questions that I never would have posted in the forum. So what I'm saying don't think because it's not a big crowd I'm not going in, a small group or just one on one can be VERY helpful.

Paul

Josh56
06-02-2010, 07:38
trying to imagine what you were too nervous to ask on the board, and I don't wanna get kicked off on my second post, so I won't make any guesses.:grin:

p_elliott
06-02-2010, 08:39
trying to imagine what you were too nervous to ask on the board, and I don't wanna get kicked off on my second post, so I won't make any guesses.:grin:

Josh welcome aboard, You have to work on it to kicked off of here. I can't remember all of it. they suggested I get a William Larue Weller which I confused with W. L Weller. The dumbest question I asked here was about letting a bottle breathe. I thought they meant leave the cork out of it, so I said won't it go bad? Then it was explained to me that it was after the bottle had been opened and air was let in the bourbon bottle breathes. I was a dork but it was cool nobody gave me any shit about it and most said there are no stupid questions.

You'll be cool here have fun.

Paul

CorvallisCracker
06-02-2010, 09:06

Down on the corner, out in the street. Ask for Willy.

You'll need a password to get in. The one for tonight is "redwax".

Heck, I'm still here. In my second post I asked, "Has anyone seen an uglier dog than the one in Jim's avatar?"