PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from GB

Rutter
06-10-2010, 00:55
Morning chaps!

My name is Mark and i am a big fan of all things whiskey! I have a modest collection so far but am always keen to expand it and try new things, We have a very limited range available over here but are able to get hold of a certain few bottles via online retailers. I would be interested to here from other UK members to find out where they purchase their bottles from.

Here is a photo of my cupboard which the mrs is annoyed about as her books used to be on this shelf!

Hope to have many a fine chat with you all.

sailor22
06-10-2010, 06:57
Welcome to the Forum. Looking forward to hearing what you find and your impressions on the Bourbons you can find.

Are you any relation to the motorcycle racer Michael Rutter? His dad went pretty well at the Isle Of Mann in his day so I hear :-)

Rutter
06-10-2010, 07:02
I'd like to say I were but sadly not, I'd love to be half as quick as he were my wobbly antics on a 125 the other week have shown me that family name does not equal biking talent, still good fun though!

I'm on the lookout for more bourbons all the time, I can get hold of loads of whisky but i prefer bourbon so have to hunt much harder and usually online.

Josh
06-10-2010, 07:07
Welcome Mark! Just off the top of my head, I can't think of any very active UK members here, but I'm sure we do have some.

How much of a nerd am I? When I saw the name Rutter, I instantly thought of composer John Rutter who is one of the wife's favorites.:grin:

At any rate, Mark, out of the bourbons you can get, which ones are your favorites?

Rutter
06-10-2010, 07:17
I'm still yet to try a few bottles from my collection, but I am a fan of WT 101 8yr, looking forward to trying the WT 101 Rye that arrived this week and my mum brought me back a couple of bottles of RR90 10yr from a recent trip that went down well last weekend.

The only whiskies we can pick up in supermarkets here ar JBW, JBB, MM, BT and WR we have a few speciality shops and when I head into London later in the month I will pop in to one and see if they have anything special in.

Most of the imported bottles have a really high premium I guess due to having to pay tax twice, once on either side of the pond!

Thanks for the warm welcome and if anyone has trouble finding any malts I'll gladly see what i can find over here if you know what i mean...

p_elliott
06-10-2010, 07:56
Hi Mark welcome to the site, I see your making your way around. We had a new member sign up from the UK not that long ago maybe a couple of months ago. Look back through the New members thread here and you should be able to find him and shoot him off a PM. You'll enjoy this site gets lots of traffic and lots of post. We have chat but it will probably be hard for you to meet up with anyone because of the time difference but keep your eyes peeled you never know it says on the main forum page who's in chat. Actually I think I just missed you there this morning. Have fun and make some new friends.

Paul

harshest
06-10-2010, 08:10
Here is a photo of my cupboard which the mrs is annoyed about as her books used to be on this shelf!

Bourbon over books, my kind of man.

Where abouts in GB are you from? I have friends that live just outside of Manchester.

Rutter
06-10-2010, 08:19
I live in Milton Keynes, its around 40 miles north of london and more roundabouts than the rest of the world combined (probably). I have friends in knutsford which is just outside manchester.

OscarV
06-10-2010, 12:16
Hey Rutter, what do you think of the Dickel red label and how did you get it?
Oh, welcome aboard.

ErichPryde
06-10-2010, 19:44
Welcome to the forum! I also enjoy Wild Turkey 8 year old export, but I bet I have a harder time finding it than you do!

Rutter
06-11-2010, 00:52
Not opened the Dickel red yet, but i've not tried their other expressions so maybe i'm not the best to comment! really looking forward to opening a few new bottles tonight and having a few big glasses!

fishnbowljoe
06-14-2010, 17:22
Welcome to SB Mark. Your modest collection looks okay to me. We all had to start somewhere. :grin: I started with three bottles. I'm not gonna say how many I have now. :skep: Looking forward to your posts. Cheers! Joe

Rutter
06-15-2010, 00:51
Hey Rutter, what do you think of the Dickel red label and how did you get it?
Oh, welcome aboard.

Opened the Dickel Red last night and was underwhelmed, it lacked in most areas, it was sweet and hot at first but lacking any depth or finish, I paid the best part of £35 for it as it came recomended from the whiskey exchange I didn't have a side by side comparisson but when i can get almost any other mid shelf whiskey for that price or less i'm a bit disappointed! :smiley_acbt:

Oh well I have you lovely folks to help guide my future purchases :grin:

ErichPryde
06-15-2010, 01:03
Rutter, can you find the Wild Turkey 12 year export where you are?

Rutter
06-15-2010, 01:07
Rutter, can you find the Wild Turkey 12 year export where you are?

I have had a bottle in the past, not seen any when i've looked recently but will keep my eyes open for some, but i remember it being around the £30 mark so you can understand my frustration with the Dickel!

Josh
06-15-2010, 04:14
I have had a bottle in the past, not seen any when i've looked recently but will keep my eyes open for some, but i remember it being around the £30 mark so you can understand my frustration with the Dickel!

In the U.S. there are 4 Dickel products available. The one you got, Cascade Hollow, is the cheapest (about $17 here) and youngest. The others are the No. 8, the No. 12, and the Barrel Select. I like them all, but not everybody likes the No. 8.

Anyway, if you haven't soured on Dickel entirely, try the No. 12 or the Barrel Select if you can get them.

Rutter
06-15-2010, 04:21
In the U.S. there are 4 Dickel products available. The one you got, Cascade Hollow, is the cheapest (about $17 here) and youngest. The others are the No. 8, the No. 12, and the Barrel Select. I like them all, but not everybody likes the No. 8.

Anyway, if you haven't soured on Dickel entirely, try the No. 12 or the Barrel Select if you can get them.

I had this conversation with Erik this morning, Barrel select is available but sells for around £60 I'm sure i can get a much better product for that kind of cash!

To make things worse I took cascade hollow on a recomendation, i could have had 12 for the same price! :rolleyes:

marco246
06-15-2010, 11:58
Rutter,

Welcome on board! If you were to offer me a pour of anything in your cupboard, I'd probably ask for a shot of Buffalo Trace. What do you think of it?

Cheers!

Rutter
06-15-2010, 12:39
Rutter,

Welcome on board! If you were to offer me a pour of anything in your cupboard, I'd probably ask for a shot of Buffalo Trace. What do you think of it?

Cheers!

Let me pour myself a glass now and i'll let you know! Last time i had it i don't remember being blown away by it though.

Josh
06-15-2010, 12:57
I had this conversation with Erik this morning, Barrel select is available but sells for around £60 I'm sure i can get a much better product for that kind of cash!

To make things worse I took cascade hollow on a recomendation, i could have had 12 for the same price! :rolleyes:

I really enjoy Dickel Barrel Select, but no way in hell is it worth £60. Good choice. Stick with guys like Erik and you'll not go wrong.:grin:

nor02lei
06-16-2010, 01:52
I think you should lock at the German online store market Mark. The prices are general lower than in GB and the shipping fee inside EU is very reasonable. Most/many of them wonít ship to Sweden, but I donít think you will have that problem in GB.

Leif

Rutter
06-16-2010, 02:01
I think you should lock at the German online store market Mark. The prices are general lower than in GB and the shipping fee inside EU is very reasonable. Most/many of them won’t ship to Sweden, but I don’t think you will have that problem in GB.

Leif

Sounds great I'll have a look and see what i can find, my german is a little rusty though! Have you got any links or suggestions to good sites?

Edit to say that i've had a look and some prices do seem cheaper, but I will have to pay 19% VAT in germany and then likely have to pay 17.5% VAT if customs here decide I should which is almost a dead cert!

nor02lei
06-16-2010, 07:20
Sounds great I'll have a look and see what i can find, my german is a little rusty though! Have you got any links or suggestions to good sites?

Edit to say that i've had a look and some prices do seem cheaper, but I will have to pay 19% VAT in germany and then likely have to pay 17.5% VAT if customs here decide I should which is almost a dead cert!

19 % vat are included in the prices and why in heavens name should you pay GB vat? I never pay Swedish vat when ordering from Germany. Here are a few links.

https://www.weinquelle.com/index_e.html
http://www.whiskydepot.com/
http://www.maltharry.de/shop/
http://www.big-market.de/
Leif

Rutter
06-16-2010, 07:33
Thanks for the links, I'll check them out, I have in the past had to pay customs charges on purchases from over seas so I would be suprosed if I didn't again, I love our Country, tax the workers then give it all out to the workshy layabouts to spend on luxuries I can't afford due to the taxes!

Marco246
I had a few glasses of BT last night, its not a bad drop at all, seemed to improve when i dropped in a cube of ice though, helped bring out a bit more flavour, can't say I was overwhelmed by it though.