PDA

View Full Version : A little control state venting...

Halifax
06-14-2010, 14:17
So I'm a relative bourbon noob. About one year into my journey of rocks/neat consumption. Thru recommendations and searching here @ SB.com I have found some really good bourbons and whiskies that I enjoy. Problem is that most of them are being dropped by the comrades over at the state ran ABC.

Late last night I was reading a post in the rye section. Decided I would have a pour of baby Saz. Anyway, look around the whiskey cabinet and only find 1 bottle with a couple of pours left. I thought I had a couple of more bottles bunkered, but I must have been overindulging. :bigeyes: :cool: Well the last two pours were wonderful as usual.

Fast forward to today. Stop by the local store to pick up a few for the bunker. Told sorry we're sold out. Sazerac has been discontinued. Well if that ain't a bite in the rear. :hot:

So over the last few months the ABC has discontinued some of my favorite pours. ETL, Weller SR, Berheim Wheat, and now baby Saz. We've got plenty of Red Stag tho'. :rolleyes:

SMOWK
06-14-2010, 14:44
Think of it as a blessing in disguise. A reason for an out-of-state hunting trip.

Res/st-or
06-14-2010, 16:21
I have wanted to try the Berheim Wheat myself for quite awhile now. Picked one up and set it back down just last night like I have on many occasions in the past, and it was on sale... Looks like I better grab one before they disappear. It was the last one they had.

Halifax
06-14-2010, 17:13
Think of it as a blessing in disguise. A reason for an out-of-state hunting trip.

Looks like another trip will be in the works soon. Just found out that not only did the state ABC drop baby Saz they also took it off the special order list completely.

B1bomber
06-14-2010, 18:33
As much as there is to hate in NJ, for bourbon consumption and dusty hunting it's pretty tough to beat. My condolences to all the control state people. (But at least you don't have NJ taxes!)

ggilbertva
06-14-2010, 19:02
I live in a control state and make a point of traveling out of state for bourbon purchases. While my state has dropped some good labels, they've managed to pick up others. Problem is, prices are too high for my wallet so I get the double benefit of finding good bourbon out of state and paying less.

ErichPryde
06-15-2010, 02:55
Control states are a perfect example of why, if the government was a business, it would be out of business.

p_elliott
06-15-2010, 07:50
I have wanted to try the Berheim Wheat myself for quite awhile now. Picked one up and set it back down just last night like I have on many occasions in the past, and it was on sale... Looks like I better grab one before they disappear. It was the last one they had.

I don't want to change the subject but if you get Bernheim make it your first pour of the night. It doesn't follow well but it leads well.

I live in a control state as well I make most of my purchases out of state. Gee guess where my tax dollars are going.

matthew0715
06-15-2010, 08:32
As much as there is to hate in NJ, for bourbon consumption and dusty hunting it's pretty tough to beat. My condolences to all the control state people. (But at least you don't have NJ taxes!)

While I haven't seen many old bottles, I really have NOT been very serious about dusty hunting in NJ. Perhaps that's because the places I go that have a good variety and decent pricing are the places that rotate stock and don't really have dusties.

Pricing is the toughest thing here. For example, Bookers sells for $55-65 here in NJ, while in control state PA, it's on sale for $42 every other month (starting 6/28) like clockwork. On sale in PA this month - WT 101 Rye for $18, usually $22-26 here in NJ. Now I'll admit most of PA's pricing is not that favorable, but you can look it all up on their website. (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=622654&mode=2)

When PA was closing out Russell's Reserve Rye, I got it for $17. If I want it now, shops in NJ have it for $34. You win some, you lose some.

ILLfarmboy
06-15-2010, 08:46
Control states are a perfect example of why, if the government was a business, it would be out of business.

No, it wouldn't...........it would just be mandatory that you buy "your fair share" of....X.....for example......... JB White and Red Gag..........:grin:

(If you were a bureaucrat with some pull.....you might be able to score a case of Baby Saz...... if it was still made........)

ILLfarmboy
06-15-2010, 09:01
Living close to the Mississippi, I do a fair amount of shopping on the Iowa side, and I can sympathize with those living in IA. But I have seen a few surprises, things I didn't expect to see on the Iowa side, FRSB and Laird's Apple Brandy, not the blended stuff but the age stated 7yr stuff.

Res/st-or
06-15-2010, 09:56
I must be mistaken... These items are discontinued in certain states but not altogether?

Please excuse my ignorance....

CorvallisCracker
06-15-2010, 10:17
I must be mistaken... These items are discontinued in certain states but not altogether?

That's almost always the case.

Here in Oregon, our beloved OLCC, when it decides to stop carrying a particular spirit, will assign it a status of COMPANY DISCONTINUED. 90% of the time, this is a lie.

independant
06-15-2010, 22:14
In Va I think we have the best state system of any control state. We seem to get the new releases here and in the last two years I have not seen any bourbons removed. All and all it could be worse. I could live in PA.

BourbonJoe
06-16-2010, 04:44
AMEN.
Joe :usflag:

BBQ+Bourbon
06-16-2010, 17:25
LOL you won't have trouble finding that one in KC anytime soon. I can turn you onto all of it you want....

foxflyer5
06-21-2010, 13:09
In Va I think we have the best state system of any control state. We seem to get the new releases here and in the last two years I have not seen any bourbons removed. All and all it could be worse. I could live in PA.

true story. PA is horrible for purchasing liquor or beer.

off topic: do you ever hit the Cavalier in Lynchburg? i always make sure to stop there for beers and grub whenever im there.

Res/st-or
06-21-2010, 15:40
LOL you won't have trouble finding that one in KC anytime soon. I can turn you onto all of it you want....

I actually picked up a bottle... It is on the sweet side. Not bad though. Ben at Bubbles said the rumor must be out, 3 bottles on his shelf flew out of there within 2 days. I'm sure there are alot of non-members reading these posts. You are right though.... No shortage in this city.

We will have to get together sometime for a sample or 2 Matt...

Jeff

ThomasH
06-22-2010, 05:07
I just saw some baby Saz in a local store the other day. Not only is Ohio a control state, its stores are agency stores staffed by people who are many times clueless. You never know what you might find until you stop and look!

Thomas

NeoTexan
06-22-2010, 06:34
Bill renews fight to privatize Pa. liquor stores
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
By Evan Trowbridge, Special to the Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10173/1067279-454.stm (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10173/1067279-454.stm)

JamesW
06-22-2010, 09:20

This is entirely true save for New Hampshire. Best prices and pretty good selection!

foxflyer5
06-22-2010, 09:34
im near the southeastern border of PA, so ill dip down into DE to look for bottles, but the selection isnt any better unless you find some sort of mega-liquor store thats the size of gymnasium.

jiggahertz
06-22-2010, 14:04
This is entirely true save for New Hampshire. Best prices and pretty good selection!

I agree on the price, but selection has a lot to be desired. The good thing is just about the stores will have the same products in stock. Working in MA it's hit or miss finding decent bourbon at the liquor stores.