PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Black

ThomasH
06-28-2010, 18:55
I got a bottle of this last fall at Detroit duty free and thought it was only a duty free and UK release but have seen it in nearly every liquor store I have visited while vacationing here in Florida. Either it is gaining in popularity or supply!

Thomas

AVB
07-01-2010, 20:17
You are correct, the Black grouse was a Scandinavian only release then went to a duty free release before being offered elsewhere in Europe. While I have heard about a US release I haven't actually seen it for sale anywhere. Nice to know it has finally crossed the pond.

ThomasH
07-01-2010, 20:50
Grouse Black is not only in the US but is here in handle size bottles too. I think a lot of the overseas distillers are expanding their offerings here to try maximize sales after the bottoming out of the economy. Powers 12 and Paddy Irish are 2 more recent arrivals that I thought I would never see. I hope Famous Grouse keeps going and sends more of their whisky versions to the states!

Thomas

Josh
07-02-2010, 07:01
So how is it? Worth getting?

ThomasH
07-02-2010, 07:53
Grouse Black has a decent Islay whisky content in it and is smokier than some other blended scotch brands. I liked it!

Thomas

Rutter
07-02-2010, 08:35
We've had this for a while, are there other hard to find whisky you guys love but are hard/impossible to get out there?

ThomasH
07-02-2010, 08:51
We can't get Snow Grouse or Jamesons Crested 10 here either. I think Famous Grouse also has some sort of 15yr. version too but have never seen any around here. I'm sure if I checked Whisky Exchange's website, I could probably come up with more!

Thomas

Megawatt
07-05-2010, 18:50
So how is it? Worth getting?

Black Grouse is quite nice. It is smoother and more complex than Teacher's, Dewar's, etc., and has a better profile than Islay Mist. Highly drinkable.