PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here-- need suggestions for a gift!!

socal
06-30-2010, 11:02
Hello,
I hope someone here can assist me. I have to purchase a gift for a Bourbon lover. The recipient of this gift is a 60 year old man originally from Kentucky. I know he loves bourbon and he likes the "good" stuff and he can afford it. So if I get him a bottle it has to be something impressive or unique.

Do any of you have any suggestions about a type of bourbon I can perhaps get online. I don't think he goes online, but shops at local stores. If there is something unique out there that is not readily available in stores and under $200 I'd love to hear about it. Thanks for your help. I'm new to the world of bourbon, so any advice would be appreciated.
Socal

CorvallisCracker
06-30-2010, 11:48
If "socal" means southern California then there should be no legal obstacles preventing you from ordering from K&L (http://www.klwines.com).

Any of these would probably do:

Four Roses Mariage Collection Bourbon $84.99
Parker's Heritage Collection Second Edition 27 year Bourbon $199.99
Parker's Heritage Collection Golden Annivesary Bourbon $139.99
1991 Jefferson's Reserve Presidential Select 18 Year Old Single Barrel "K&L Exclusive" 17 year Batch A Bourbon $89.99

If it were me (as the receipient, that is) I'd probably be happiest with the first one...which also happens to be the least expensive (but then, I'm a cheap date).

StraightBoston
06-30-2010, 11:57
Scott's suggestions are excellent -- the only addition I'd make is:

Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old $99-109

CorvallisCracker
06-30-2010, 12:05
Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old $99-109

Not currently listed at K&L (although it has been in the past), but, yeah, if you can find that one it would be a great choice too.

I note that K&L is listing a "new release" of BMH 16yo, for $125.99 :rolleyes:

gblick
06-30-2010, 13:59
Wild Turkey Tradition would also be a good gift IMO.

fishnbowljoe
06-30-2010, 15:17
Maybe you could check the Party Source for one of their special bottlings. They have many to offer. I hear their Willett's is quite good. They ship to a lot of states too. http://www.thepartysource.com/ Good luck. Joe

socal
06-30-2010, 17:25
Why thank you kindly for your suggestions. And yes I live in Southern California, so I'm glad that won't be an obstacle.

Thanks all!! I will still be lingering on the boards because my husband love bourbon (hates scotch :lol: ) and I'm sure we can get good tips from you all!!

Thanks again.
Cindy

ErichPryde
06-30-2010, 18:58
This may sound ridiculous, but if you have any idea of what the recipient's "go-to" every day bourbon is (or which ones he seems to prefer) we may be able to narrow down the selection more for you.

socal
06-30-2010, 19:13
Hi,
I don't know him well, but I know he's from Kentucky. I know he likes a very high proof bourbon and usually spends about 100 dollars at the local BevMo or
or Bristol Farms. He's got money, but I only know this was his normal price range. I don't think he shops online though so I'm hoping for something different. Do you think the Four Roses would be high proof enough for someone who likes strong bourbon?? Thanks!!

p_elliott
07-01-2010, 08:27
The Four Roses Mariage 09 is 109.6 proof and is very good. The Parker Heritage Collection 2nd edition 27 year old I believe is 120 something proof and is an outstanding bourbon but very pricey as you can see. Everything that has been recommended would be a good choice.

By the way welcome to the site I hope you and your husband enjoy yourselves here.

birdman1099
07-01-2010, 09:34
Actually, The PHC 27 is only 96 proof......

Since you are in Cali, I would look for some of the Willett private bottlings. They will be cask strength and quite rare. I know there are a couple California liquor stores that are currently bottling Willetts.

sgtgto
07-01-2010, 10:38
Depending on what city you live in.. in San Fernando, there is a store, the Wine and Liquor Depot. They have the most impressive selection of Willett bottlings I have ever seen, and their prices are quite good.

I believe Mission Liquors in Glendale ships, and they have some nice stuff.

Enabler
07-01-2010, 16:51
I am going to say try and find the Woodford Reserve Masters Collection 1838 Sweet Mash (I think about 90 bucks) which is unusual and I think perhaps the finest sipping whiskey I have ever had.