PDA

View Full Version : What beer are you drinking Summer 2010

HipFlask
07-02-2010, 06:14
There is lots going on now that we have summer here in Wisconsin. Right now Summerfest is going on. The largest Music Festival in the world. Today at Summerfest my beer choices will be Miller products and a local brew pub Water Street Brewery. Over priced and in a plastic cup but it sure goes well with the music and Summertime! Cheers.

So what are you drinking to make summer fun?

unclebunk
07-02-2010, 06:50
There is lots going on now that we have summer here in Wisconsin. Right now Summerfest is going on. The largest Music Festival in the world. Today at Summerfest my beer choices will be Miller products and a local brew pub Water Street Brewery. Over priced and in a plastic cup but it sure goes well with the music and Summertime! Cheers.

So what are you drinking to make summer fun?

Always a good time at Summerfest. This holiday weekend is supposed to really heat up around here by Sunday, so I'm looking at beers that quench your thirst. I'll be drinking Newcastle Summer Ale and Victoria (lager), Mexico's oldest beer that is new to the American market as of two weeks ago. The latter is comparable to Negra Modelo, amber in color but not heavy in any way. Have fun!

OscarV
07-02-2010, 15:10
4th Of July weekend on the horizon and Canada Day yesterday and I'm thirsty so ice cold Molson Golden.

SBOmarc
07-02-2010, 15:13
Sam Adams Summer, and I see some Negro Modello in my future.

HipFlask
07-03-2010, 07:33
I found some pretty good beers at the Summerfest. Lakefront brewery had their IPA and Riverwest Stein. Water Street Brewery had an October fest and a Red Ale. This all went down with a Turkey Leg and an ear of corn and some good live music. Yes and O.A.R. and the Scorpions

ebo
07-03-2010, 08:54
Storm King Stout. 9% ABV. Tasty stuff!

craigthom
07-03-2010, 09:51
I haven't been to Water Street in a long time, and I appreciate that they were a brewpub pioneer, but I've never been impressed with their beers.

The Ale House, Sprecher, and especially Lakefront, though, make great stuff.

Jono
07-04-2010, 10:16
For our "July 3rd" party for the 4th I selected various beers and the one that stood out as quite exceptional and surprising was Michelob Dunkelweisse. The yeast it uses produces quite a unique taste...though the label says "clover and banana" it tastes like cherry to me. My neighbor agreed. We enjoyed it quite a bit..."a dark wheat ale"....unusual and very tasty. Despite being dark it is not "heavy", instead it is very refreshing.

http://www.michelob.com/ExploreDunkelWeisse.aspx

I have always enjoyed the Michelob brand and it various products.

SMOWK
07-15-2010, 11:39
Successfully finished a Chimay Grande Reserve Magum 51oz last night all by myself. Everyone else had their local brews from the Weeping Radish Brewery.

Bourbon Boiler
07-15-2010, 16:26
I found some pretty good beers at the Summerfest. Lakefront brewery had their IPA and Riverwest Stein. Water Street Brewery had an October fest and a Red Ale. This all went down with a Turkey Leg and an ear of corn and some good live music. Yes and O.A.R. and the Scorpions

I'm not generally an IPA fan, but Lakefront's is fantastic. They also offer the best brewery tour in Milwaukee.

texascarl
07-16-2010, 18:44
My summer beer is Boulevard Pilsner - good stuff.

http://www.blvdbeer.com/pilsner.htm

Phischy
07-21-2010, 15:26
A buddy of mine that lives a few blocks from me won the Stone homebrew competition. They've already brewed the West Coast Bitter (or San Diego Session beer, can't remember the official title). It is the hoppiest beer AND lowest ABV beer stone has ever made.

Should be hitting the shelves at theend of the month in time for GABF. If you like hoppy beer, you've got to try this. I've got my 2nd batch of his recipe in the fermenter now...it's so easy drinking at 4.3% and hoppy as hell!

craigthom
07-22-2010, 04:30
That sounds good. I'm not thrilled by the escalating ABV that seems to be happening. 8% limits the number of beers I can drink in an evening.

ratcheer
07-24-2010, 11:01
I just got a 6-pack of Michelob "Irish Red - All Malt Ale - ". It is quite good.

Tim

HipFlask
07-24-2010, 11:31
Capitol Brewery's Dark Lager is outstanding. I had one with a fish dinner last night. It sure went well with the Walleye. I also put some in the batter. And then I cracked open some Carlsburg Elephant Malt for swatting mosquitos on the deck. fun times!

PAspirit1
07-25-2010, 08:21
More than anything else this summer, I'm drinking Yuengling's Black and Tan in a can. I love the taste and the price, 10$ for a 12, is very reasonable.

OscarV
07-25-2010, 08:29
Yesterday Tony and I took a bourbon break and went up to Michigan Brewing Co.
We had, High Seas IPA, Sunset Amber, Superior Stout and a growler of Mai Bock and Celis White to go.

SBOmarc
07-25-2010, 09:30
Tony and Oscar traveling together and drinking? Who knew?

Attended a dinner with a Southwest menu. Negro Modello, Corona, Tecate and both Dos Equis were the beers of choice. Stayed with the Negro Modello and XX Dark. Both of those beers show well against some pretty pumped up chili peppers.

ratcheer
07-25-2010, 09:45
Tony and Oscar traveling together and drinking? Who knew?

Attended a dinner with a Southwest menu. Negro Modello, Corona, Tecate and both Dos Equis were the beers of choice. Stayed with the Negro Modello and XX Dark. Both of those beers show well against some pretty pumped up chili peppers.

I have a favorite restaurant where I have always ordered Dos Equis Dark. One day, they were out and the bartender suggested Modelo Negro. I accepted, saying I had been intending to try it sometime, anyway. Man, is it good!

Tim

unclebunk
07-25-2010, 11:29
I have a favorite restaurant where I have always ordered Dos Equis Dark. One day, they were out and the bartender suggested Modelo Negro. I accepted, saying I had been intending to try it sometime, anyway. Man, is it good!

Tim

Yes. The Negro Modelo is very good and pairs well with Mexican food.

smokinjoe
07-27-2010, 16:01
A frosty glass of Delirium Tremens Belgian Ale after a medium length run on a mid 90's afternoon. I've not had a lot of experience with Belgian beers, but that may change after this beauty.

SBOmarc
07-27-2010, 16:04
Enjoying some Yeungling Lager that a friend of mine was nice enough to deliver from Philadelphia. It is not to be found outside the immediate area and I am savoring what is left of the 6 pack...I could not help myself.

Bourbon Boiler
07-27-2010, 18:25
Enjoying some Yeungling Lager that a friend of mine was nice enough to deliver from Philadelphia. It is not to be found outside the immediate area and I am savoring what is left of the 6 pack...I could not help myself.

I killed a case of the Yinger a few weeks ago. My brother came up, and he had never tried it before. Good stuff, although people I know in Pennsylvania don't seem to think as much of it as I do.

hannibal
07-27-2010, 21:29
I am taking a temporary hiatus from beer in preparation for the Music City Brewer's Fest this weekend. Taking my microbrewing father with me to sample a bunch of different types of beers.

StraightBoston
07-28-2010, 09:00
I've been drinking Left Hand Milk Stout (closest thing to no-longer-imported Mackeson's) on cooler nights and Harpoon Raspberry UFO on the hot days (reminds me of Thomas Kemper from the early-90's!)

Restocked on Sierra Nevada Kellerweis but haven't cracked one open yet. Wasn't that supposed to be a year-round offering? Very refreshing on a hot summer's day.

doubleblank
07-28-2010, 09:15
I've been drinking a variety of beers from Deschutes Brewery. Mostly Inversion IPA and Green Lakes Ale. Spec's has all varieties on sale for $6.30 a sixer and Green Lakes for $3.99. Cheaper than the mass market beers!

Randy

pepcycle
07-28-2010, 10:25
In reference to the Yuengling post.

I passed a bar the other day in NJ that has a Monday Night Special

Yuengs and Wings!!!

Yes, it rhymes.

jesskidden
07-28-2010, 11:59
Enjoying some Yeungling Lager that a friend of mine was nice enough to deliver from Philadelphia. It is not to be found outside the immediate area

That hasn't been the case for probably over 30 years now. Yuengling is, by some sources' figures (http://www.beerinsights.com/popups/brewersimportship.html), the third largest brewery in the country (after A-B and M-C, and not counting the non-brewery owning "Pabst")- running neck and neck with the nationally distributed Boston (Samuel Adams) Beer Co. They own 3 breweries (their original in town, a new one outside of Pottsville and a former Schlitz/Stroh brewery in Tampa, FL) and their beers are distributed all along the East Coast (sans New England), from New York to Florida, and they've moved "inland" to AL, TN and WV in recent years.

Granted, they're hardly "national", have less than 1% of the market, and probably may never reach the Mid-West much less the Pacific Coast (by design, according to interviews with Dick Yuengling himself who wants to slow down expansion) but they're no longer just an Eastern PA local brewery.

Yuengling's Distribution Area (http://www.yuengling.com/distrib.htm)

CorvallisCracker
07-28-2010, 12:43
...their beers are distributed all along the East Coast (sans New England), from New York to Florida...

It showed up in Tallahassee early in the decade. It was on tap at the local Hooters (which was the only reason I went there)(at least, that's what I told my wife).

...probably may never reach the Mid-West much less the Pacific Coast...

Which is a real shame, because they are (or were, in 2006) priced in the Budweiser range. We have a lot of good brews here in OR, but nothing in that price range that's as good as Yuengling.

SBOmarc
07-28-2010, 13:40
I can't get it here. Come to think of it I have been out here for close to 30 years...no wonder I don't know what Yeungling is doing.

CorvallisCracker
07-28-2010, 13:58
I've been drinking a variety of beers from Deschutes Brewery. Mostly Inversion IPA and Green Lakes Ale. Spec's has all varieties on sale for $6.30 a sixer and Green Lakes for $3.99. Cheaper than the mass market beers!

Cheaper than you can get it here!

I can get the various Deschutes for the equivalent of $6.35/sixpack, but that's if I buy a case (it can be a mixed case). But $3.99? :bigeyes:

jesskidden
07-29-2010, 03:33
I can't get it here. Come to think of it I have been out here for close to 30 years...no wonder I don't know what Yeungling is doing.

Yeah, Yuengling has probably been the most successful "old line" brewery during the modern "craft beer era" in US (not to suggest that Yuengling is "craft", of course). Maybe Spoetzl (Shiner) comes in second in that category, but that's a slightly different story (new ownership).

When I first started paying attention to the US brewing industry (mid-1970's or so), Yuengling was only the 9th largest brewery just among the Eleven or so left in Pennsylvania, and they fell somewhere in the bottom third of the 50 or so breweries in the US. Now, with just about a dozen of those pre-craft, independent (i.e. not A-B or M-C) breweries left, Yuengling is far and away the largest.

Which is a real shame, because they are (or were, in 2006) priced in the Budweiser range. We have a lot of good brews here in OR, but nothing in that price range that's as good as Yuengling.

Yeah, but I think that the reason that Yuengling CAN'T go national is because in most markets they do compete head-to-head, or just above that price point, with A-B and M-C. There's just not a lot of profit in selling beer for under $20 a case. Sure the craft brewers can do it - ship beer from Delaware to Calif. or Calif. to Mass.- but that's in part due to the much larger prices they can command- it's easier to cover the shipping cost in a $8-10 six-pack or $6 bomber than Yuengling Lager's $10 12/pk.

Think about it- Yuengling is holding it's own with 3 comparatively small breweries on the East Coast even as A-B and M-C has, what, maybe 8 or more super-efficient mutli-million barrel breweries in those same states? (A-B= NY, NJ, VA, GA, FL and M-C= VA, GA, NC and one "next door" in Ohio). I'd be pretty difficult to compete on the West Coast with BMC and ship 'cross country. It's sad that just about ALL the old line breweries west of the Rockies (Rainier, Oly, Blitz-Weinhard, the various SF and LA breweries) shut down/converted to other uses before anyone else got big enough to take them over, as Yuengling did in Florida for that old Schlitz brewery. At the time, when Pabst, Stroh and Heileman all collapsed, those breweries were "too small" for BMC's 10m bbl. requirements and "too large" for the brewers who were left (most of whom were running under capacity as it was) or the craft brewers who'd come along in the past few decades.

hannibal
07-30-2010, 20:06
I'm not having a beer tonight, but tomorrow will be a whole different story. Headed to the Music City Brewer's Fest in Nashville, TN with my dad. Lot's of smaller brewers, kind of my dads dream since he's been homebrewing for the last ten years or so. The question is what to try first?

StraightBoston
08-01-2010, 12:01
Restocked with Sierra Nevada Kellerweis (and at this rate, will need to restock again by the end of the day, though won't be legal to drive to get it!)

Special Reserve
08-01-2010, 13:07
Naked Sunday a Belgian Triple at LSBC the local brew pub. So good I had two.

unclebunk
08-03-2010, 04:46
After many, many years, one of my favorite Czech beers miraculously reappeared on the shelves at Binny's: Primator Lager. I used to drink it regularly, in part because it reminded me so much of my favorite Czech beer, Gambrinus, which has been unavailable in the US for many years now. Primator is not a beer that will bowl you over with flavor. Instead, what I like about it (and Gambrinus) is the creamy, soft texture and perfect malt/hop balance. The mouth-feel (I hate that term but can't think of a better one) is hard to describe but each sip transports me to the taverns of Plzen where the beer is nothing short of perfect. The only downside to this discovery is that Binny's is charging way too much for a six pack which will keep it out of range for most folks. I grabbed a sixer for $10.99 but feel it should be priced much closer to $7.99 or $8.99 at most. I know there are market forces at play, but it would be a shame if more beer lovers didn't get to try this beer due to the prohibitive price tag.

Martian
08-06-2010, 11:14
I've been enjoying a Rio Blanco Pale Ale from a young brewery in llano, Texas called Real Ale Brewing Co. It's very tasty, crisp, and refreshing on a hot Texas day.
It's a little less hoppy than a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. They use Czech Saaz hops, and the brewery calls it "a uniquely Texan interpretation of an English-style pale ale." I'm very impressed and look forward to trying their other ales.

dean_martin
08-09-2010, 08:49
Had Dale's Pale Ale and Lagunitas Maximus yesterday while grilliing. Friday night I picked up a bomber of Stone's 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA. I'm looking forward to this one. http://www.stonebrew.com/anniv/ale/

smokinjoe
08-11-2010, 15:23
Sitting down after my run with a Krusovice Imperial Czech Premium Lager. Yesterday, it seemed a little tinny, but that must have been my own tainted palate. Because, today it is terrific. I'm pretty much Summerbeer'd out, now. Time to start the transition to heavier beers, and this one seems just about perfect as an initial first-step in that process.

Gillman
08-11-2010, 18:15
I didn't succeed on the last attempt (too much to take to Houston), but will try to bring to Joe in Bardstown soon some Pilsner Urquel, and/or Czechvar (called Budweiser Budvar in some markets) imported within two months from packaging. Phenomenal beer which is exceeded rarely even by our best micros. Currently sampling some St-Ambroise Imperial Stout, from Montreal. 9% ABV but I cut it with sparkling water to about 6%. Even with the dilution it is a heavy, rich stout. Very English palate (not American), i.e., Worcestershire sauce, Bovril, coffee flavours, bitter but no (detectable) aroma hops as per the original porter recipes in England. Really quality stuff.

Gary

Luna56
08-11-2010, 21:44
I had the Krusovice (pilsner maybe?) draught a few years ago in Slovakia and was mightily impressed. I raved so much the waiter gave me a great Krusovice glass. I gotta look for that stuff, hard to find in NH.

Cheers!

Sitting down after my run with a Krusovice Imperial Czech Premium Lager. Yesterday, it seemed a little tinny, but that must have been my own tainted palate. Because, today it is terrific. I'm pretty much Summerbeer'd out, now. Time to start the transition to heavier beers, and this one seems just about perfect as an initial first-step in that process.

smokinjoe
08-13-2010, 13:39
Accelerating my transition away from Summer beers, and picked up a 12 of Sierra Nevada Tumbler Autumn Brown Ale. Ooooohhhh, very nice. Nice roasted malt. Tasty.

imbibehour
08-17-2010, 18:40
Dogfish win... never fails... my go to beers...

but not the only :grin:

cigarnv
08-19-2010, 04:57
I have gotten into the brews from Founders Brewery big time. Enjoying their Double Trouble, Centennial and Scotch Ale. Have also enjoyed their Breakfast Stout and Kentucky Bourbon Stout but it has become almost impossible to get.

Special Reserve
08-19-2010, 05:45
I have gotten into the brews from Founders Brewery big time. Enjoying their Double Trouble, Centennial and Scotch Ale. Have also enjoyed their Breakfast Stout and Kentucky Bourbon Stout but it has become almost impossible to get.

Founders has great products. KBS is very hard of get even around here and when it is released. My store rationed it to a 4 back to a customer. KBS along with Backwoods Bastard are amongst my favorites.

I recently spend a day with my siblings and some of their children at Cedar Point. My niece was an avid roller coaster rider, she is a nurse in Grand Rapids and it didn't take too long before Founders was brought up, she realizes how fortunate she is to easily go to their brew house.

texascarl
08-19-2010, 18:34
In the fridge right now - Bohemia, Fuller's ESB, Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Boulevard Pilsner

unclebunk
09-01-2010, 11:24
Dogfish win... never fails... my go to beers...

but not the only :grin:

Been digging the Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA a lot lately and it's been a real winner, particularly on the hot summer days we've been getting around here. Loved the Raison D'Etre too.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never had a single Founders beer yet but that's likely to change very soon when the autumnal weather rolls in. I was standing in front of the shelf of microbrews at Binny's on Saturday and some guy pointed out Founders' Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale and strongly suggested that I pick up a six pack, stating that it's the best beer he's ever had. Strong words, but my interest is now piqued.

bigman
09-02-2010, 00:16
This summer I have continued to use my, I don’t drink a lot so make it count, philosophy. So I have been trying new things, or new to me things.
There is always some Leinenkugel’s, usually the Sunset Wheat and the Summer Shandy, but those are my only go to brews. I have been on a Dogfish Head kick lately, trying the Palo Santo Marron, Midas Touch Golden Elixir, 90 Minute IPA, 60 Minute IPA, and World Wide Stout (really like this one, but pricy). Also, the Serra Nevada Summerfest Lager, the New Belgium Ranger IPA, and their Skinny Dip, as well as the Mothership Wit, Fat Tire, and 1554. Stone Arrogant Bastard Ale, Boulevard Brewing Double Wide IPA, the Brew Dog Ltd Bashah, and Upland Brewing Co. Dragonfly IPA, and their Wheat Ale. I’m sure there were others, but these are the standouts. My goal is to try all of the Dogfish Head Lineup that I can get in my area, though my current favorites are the World wide stout, and the Palo Santo Marron, but the 90 minute IPA is my favorite IPA to this point.

cigarnv
09-02-2010, 01:08
Have been enjoying a few big brews as of late.. Terrapin Rye Squared and Monk's Revenge.... both big beers with big alcohol. Also enjoyed a Founders Nemesis which is huge but not worth the $$... better to stick with their Double Trouble for half the price.. IMO

nor02lei
09-02-2010, 08:46
Yvonne and me went to a bar in the town 25 km north of ours for some beers, food and a beer-tasting event with some friends yesterday. We had lots of good beers, mostly American but also Danish, English and Scotch. Actually the Scottish one blow as all away. It was sink the Bismark and it is a frozen IPA with 41 % alcohol. I know people on this forum have said it is vulgar to do this to beer, but after I have tasted this one I defiantly disagree. It was like an essence of an IPA and it was very fresh tasting with no alcohol burn or sweet stuffiness that one sometimes can find in normal + 10 % IPA. Of cause it have to be extremely good quality of the beer at the beginning, as all bad flavours will show up for sure when it gets concentrated this way.

Leif

Tony
09-02-2010, 11:56
Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

Being summer time in Michigan I continue to go with Bell's Oberon, my go to summer beer.

Best regards, tony

cigarnv
09-02-2010, 12:14
Just visited with a Bell's Brown ale..... one of the best Browns around IMO..

unclebunk
09-02-2010, 15:43
Bell's is another one of those micrbreweries that can seem to do no wrong, in my book. I love all of their beer and would struggle to pick a favorite.

nor02lei
09-03-2010, 14:56
Avery seventeen dry hopped black lager. Real good at the category of cause and both my lady partner and me liked it. It is made with German hops so it is not as aromatic and flavourful as beer made of American hops of cause. Nice to taste and a good beer, but at the high price I would not bay it ones more.

Leif

cigarnv
09-04-2010, 03:04
Enjoyed a small beer tasting with Greg, ggilberva, last evening. Founders KBS and Double Trouble, Terrapin Rye Squared and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout (2009). All excellent brews but IMO the Rye Squared was the best of the evening... big, rich, excellent balance of hops and malt.... delicious.

ODaniel
09-04-2010, 15:28
Bell's is another one of those micrbreweries that can seem to do no wrong, in my book. I love all of their beer and would struggle to pick a favorite.

I love many of Bell's beer, but their Cherry Stout is one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. Like Cherry Cough Syrup and about the same carbonation. Drain pour, and I will drink just about anything. The girlfriend and I choked down half and couldn't stand any more.

Drinking my Kentucky Common now. Picked up some Bell's The Oracle a couple nights ago. May have one later.

cigarnv
09-04-2010, 16:58
Has anyone tried the Costco beers? Some locals here say it is decent...

imbibehour
09-04-2010, 21:36
Been digging the Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA a lot lately and it's been a real winner, particularly on the hot summer days we've been getting around here. Loved the Raison D'Etre too.

I'm ashamed to admit that I've never had a single Founders beer yet but that's likely to change very soon when the autumnal weather rolls in. I was standing in front of the shelf of microbrews at Binny's on Saturday and some guy pointed out Founders' Dirty Bastard Scotch Ale and strongly suggested that I pick up a six pack, stating that it's the best beer he's ever had. Strong words, but my interest is now piqued.

Raison is my absolute go to, I love this beer to death.. However! It is easy to get a bad one and the shelf life of those things are sometimes not good, also many places that I have had it served at (of course NEVER this way at the Dogfish Ale houses..) have also had their kegs go bad.

I've had just about everything they make I have my favs too. They just released Bitches Brew (http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/bitches-brew.htm)and I got two bottles can't wait to crack it open.

unclebunk
09-05-2010, 00:09
I love many of Bell's beer, but their Cherry Stout is one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. Like Cherry Cough Syrup and about the same carbonation. Drain pour, and I will drink just about anything. The girlfriend and I choked down half and couldn't stand any more.

I've never seen or even heard of their Cherry Stout but no doubt would have hated it myself, as the notion of cherries in stout sounds like an awful idea to begin with. I've had a few great Belgian beers that had cherries in the mix, but as a rule I'm not into the whole "fruit in beer" thing, unless the inclusion of the fruit is very, very subtle.

ggilbertva
09-05-2010, 17:05
Has anyone tried the Costco beers? Some locals here say it is decent...

Reid - I've had them and to me there just ok. There are many other beers that I would rather have.

Tonight I enjoyed a Smithwicks. Good Irish Ale.

spun_cookie
09-05-2010, 17:25
Reid - I've had them and to me there just ok. There are many other beers that I would rather have.

Tonight I enjoyed a Smithwicks. Good Irish Ale.

I'll see you bastards that kids beer and raise you an Arrogant Bastard and a double Bastard.... Oh, there was also a midnight special in there as well

cigarnv
09-06-2010, 06:55
Yesterday afternoon I enjoyed a few Clipper City Heavy Seas Hop3's.... a very well made beer that does a good job of bringing forth ton's of hop flavor but still being well balanced...

smokinjoe
09-07-2010, 15:39
Am into this year's Sam Adams Octoberfest beer. I know, a little quick on the trigger, but as I said upthread...I'm really Summer beer'd out, and we've had some nice coolish evenings. What a really nice beer, this is. I don't know if I look forward to a seasonal release of any beer, like I do this one. It's always my favorite Fall brew; however, this year's Sierra Nevada Tumbler Brown Ale may give it a run for Joey's money.

SBOmarc
09-07-2010, 15:42
Stone Levitation at a local watering hole that saw fit to bring this gem in for the next 8 weeks. I know that Stone gets mixed reviews among the hard core beer drinkers here, but I enjoy this oh so much.

spun_cookie
09-07-2010, 16:43
Going to pour a new bottle by Stone Brewrey I have yet to have. The Stone 14th Ann Emperial IPA, India Pale Ale.

We went to England this past spring as self-styled “IPA Hunters” on a mission to learn more about the confusing and often contradictory history of India Pale Ale – to look for some certainty where those before us have found mostly mystery and mercantilism. While our success in this pursuit is open to debate, there can be no question that we returned home inspired by the ghosts of Burton and by the experience of poring over 150-year old brewer’s logs handwritten in (India?) ink. Stone Brewing Co., after all, traces its lineage back to the British Empire’s brewing history: we make ales, and all of our original offerings used traditional British styles as a jumping-off point. If this seems a roundabout way of letting you know that, yes, we are in fact brewing another IPA to mark our Anniversary, well, so be it.

This one however, promises to be different! From the imported white malt to the “Burtonised” water to the rare yeast strain to the most pungent hops Kent has to offer, we used all British ingredients to brew our “Emperial” IPA.* While we may have brewed Stone 14th Anniversary Emperial IPA with our own distinctively modern, San Diego-style touch, what good is history if you can’t rewrite it to suit your tastes?

In this case, our tastes called for highly intemperate quantities of Target, East Kent Goldings, and Boadicea hops, bestowing upon this dry-bodied ale a powerfully spicy, earthy aroma. On the palate, peppery hops assert themselves early and often, with malt sweetness making a brief appearance before being beaten back by a long, complex, and decisively bitter finish. What better way to contemplate the fate of empires past, present, and future?

ggilbertva
09-09-2010, 17:04
A mug of Ommegang Abbey Ale. Love it.

smokinjoe
09-09-2010, 18:06
Picked up Terrapin's latest in their series of "Side Projects", Volume 10--Black India Pale Ale. Wonderfully dark. Awesome nose. I could inhale these fumes all night. Coffee notes. Chewy. Although, it's chock ful-o-hops, it's nicely balanced. I'll have to load up on these while they're available.

spun_cookie
09-09-2010, 19:08
Its been a stoney week. Hitting their 11th Ann juice tonight, Self Righteous Ale. Good stuff

MurphyDawg
09-10-2010, 01:35
Going to pour a new bottle by Stone Brewrey I have yet to have. The Stone 14th Ann Emperial IPA, India Pale Ale.

The new Stone Anniversary beer was weird. I think after pondering it a while, I liked it, but kinda wished it was so uber imperial intense. Though from stone that would be like asking a dog not to bark. That said, I'd buy it again

MurphyDawg
09-10-2010, 01:38

I would agree. I am hard pressed to think of one I dont like, even Oberon is good and I generally detest wheat beers. To boot, Two Hearted is my go to beer. Now if only I could get my mitts on a few bottles of the 25th anniversary beer. . .

spun_cookie
09-10-2010, 05:22
The new Stone Anniversary beer was weird. I think after pondering it a while, I liked it, but kinda wished it was so uber imperial intense. Though from stone that would be like asking a dog not to bark. That said, I'd buy it again

It was good. The only Stone Brew I think I will not buy more of is the Double Bastard. My taste just do not run that way when the beer starts to go towards spirits.

The 11th was very good last night. Running out of options for another one tonight. Might have to go Oak Bastard or porter hunting to get one.

unclebunk
09-10-2010, 06:31
Anyone else try Ommegang's new BPA (Belgian Pale Ale)? I had it last night, along with Ommegang's Biere de Mars and loved them both. Can't wait to try their Scotch ale, Cup O Kyndness, when it becomes available around here. I'm a sucker for a "wee heavy" when autumn/winter rolls around.

ggilbertva
09-10-2010, 08:10
Anyone else try Ommegang's new BPA (Belgian Pale Ale)? I had it last night, along with Ommegang's Biere de Mars and loved them both. Can't wait to try their Scotch ale, Cup O Kyndness, when it becomes available around here. I'm a sucker for a "wee heavy" when autumn/winter rolls around.

No, but now I'll be on the lookout. I had the Ommegang Abbey Ale last night and really enjoyed it.

unclebunk
09-10-2010, 09:27
No, but now I'll be on the lookout. I had the Ommegang Abbey Ale last night and really enjoyed it.

If you enjoyed the Abbey Ale, you'll also love the BPA. I read somewhere that if sales are brisk enough, Ommegang will make the BPA part of their regular year-round stable of brews, not just a specialty/seasonal offer.

cigarnv
09-10-2010, 15:21
Enjoying a Clipper City Uber Pils with a nice cigar. Not typically a pils fan but this one has some stuffing to it. Lots of body and big flavors... a deep yellow brew.

SMOWK
09-10-2010, 15:46
Found a few quad-packs of '09 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. I can't wait for this year's release. This and 90 minute IPA's from Dogfish Head are my two favorite beers. I really like mixing the two as well. Right now, I'm mixing a Brooklyn BCS with a Yuengling Lord Chesterfield. Chesterfield is the gem among the rocks at Yuengling IMO.

ggilbertva
09-10-2010, 17:14
Found a few quad-packs of '09 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout. I can't wait for this year's release. This and 90 minute IPA's from Dogfish Head are my two favorite beers. I really like mixing the two as well. Right now, I'm mixing a Brooklyn BCS with a Yuengling Lord Chesterfield. Chesterfield is the gem among the rocks at Yuengling IMO.

I was on the lookout for the BCS while beer shopping tonight but no dice. I did pick up a Gulden Draak (which I drank), Brooklyn Local 1 and Redhook 8-4-1 Expedition.

unclebunk
09-11-2010, 06:13
Sam Adams Oktoberfest went down nicely by the fire last night, accompanied by some smokey Lagavulin 16, of course!

nor02lei
09-12-2010, 01:38
I did split a bottle of Avery Maharaja DIPA with Yvonne late last night after a dinner at my sister’s house. I have had it a couple of times before and it is none of my favourites, but I thought it deserved a new chance. It was even less good than I did remember. Very sweetish and this bottle also had a slight of note of yeast. I won’t bay this any more.

Leif

cigarnv
09-12-2010, 03:06
In Philly yesterday and enjoyed an Williamsburg Ale Werks Pumpkin ale. While not a huge fan of this seasonal favorite this one was done very well and is worth a try if you come across it in your travels.....

Gillman
09-12-2010, 14:47
DAB Original, the German Export beer - Export is a style - from Dortmund. Consolidation in the industry has proceeded apace but DAB's version is as good as ever. It's from a can not more than 3 months from brewing. It has a clean oaty-like smell and round firm body, with bitter herbal tones on the after-palate.

Gary

ggilbertva
09-13-2010, 10:30
Over the weekend I received some Ry(e)an Ale. Smuttynose aged in used HH bourbon barrels. Looking forward to trying one of these.

T Comp
09-13-2010, 14:37
DAB Original, the German Export beer - Export is a style - from Dortmund. Consolidation in the industry has proceeded apace but DAB's version is as good as ever. It's from a can not more than 3 months from brewing. It has a clean oaty-like smell and round firm body, with bitter herbal tones on the after-palate.

Gary

The DAB in can has pretty much been my beer of the summer with a local store selling it at $9.99 a 12 pack. Another recent purchase in a can is a big tasting IPA, Modus Hoperandi from Ska brewing out of Durango, Colorado. As a pale ale it has more than usual malt-caramel flavors that balance out well against the citrus-herbal hops. Awfully delicious.

smokinjoe
09-13-2010, 14:57
I'm continuing to thoroughly enjoy this Sierra Nevada "Tumbler" Autumn Brown Ale. Sam Adams Octoberfest has been my favorite Fall beer for several years, now. But, this is right up there with it for me.

Gillman
09-13-2010, 15:56
Super Bock, a best-selling brand in Portugal I first discovered there, now an import here (Ontario), and not more than 3 months from packaging. This is a commercial pils style but very well made, the rich malt, drying hops and prominent yeast background blending to perfection. Some brewers just get it right, it doesn't matter how big or small they are. (And unfortunately, the reverse is also true, but I'd rather mention the good ones. :)).

Gary

cigarnv
09-13-2010, 16:13
Just finished a Founders Nemesis.... great beer with quite a punch.

SBOmarc
09-13-2010, 16:14
Sammy Octoberfest that had just been tapped today at a local wing joint. Still a fantastic beer, and I do think it tasted even better due to it just being tapped.

I managed to stop after only 6 wings and one beer. I was proud of myself.

ggilbertva
09-13-2010, 17:34
Chimay Blue tonight. First time tasting this beer and really enjoyed it.

cigarnv
09-14-2010, 01:31

You are enjoying those Belgium's Greg!!

unclebunk
09-14-2010, 06:02

Isn't it fantastic? I love the entire Chimay line of products but have a particular fondness for the Blue which I drank in large quantities while visiting Belgium. Great stuff!

ggilbertva
09-14-2010, 07:02
Isn't it fantastic? I love the entire Chimay line of products but have a particular fondness for the Blue which I drank in large quantities while visiting Belgium. Great stuff!

Over the last month or so, I've picked up a number of Belgian and domestic Ale's. That Chimay Blue really got my attention. I'm not a fan of hoppy beers and really gravitate towards lower hop, high malt content. The Chimay had a great fruity/malty nose that was accentuated on the palate. In fact, after my first taste I believe I made a "mmmmm" noise. I have a Rochefort Trappist #8 that I'll try tonight.

unclebunk
09-14-2010, 09:58
Over the last month or so, I've picked up a number of Belgian and domestic Ale's. That Chimay Blue really got my attention. I'm not a fan of hoppy beers and really gravitate towards lower hop, high malt content. The Chimay had a great fruity/malty nose that was accentuated on the palate. In fact, after my first taste I believe I made a "mmmmm" noise. I have a Rochefort Trappist #8 that I'll try tonight.

Although I appreciate some of the hoppier-style beers, I tend to lean towards the lower hop/high malt content beers as well which puts many of the fine Belgian ales high on my list of favorites. If you haven't picked it up already, be on the lookout for the six pack sampler packaged by Brouwerij Van Steenberge which generally costs around $18. It's a good investment, as you get to sample a half dozen quality Belgian ales for $3 a piece and each has its own unique character despite coming from the same brewery. I've seen different configurations of the sampler in recent years, but whichever one you find will be well worth your money and quite enjoyable. Hopefully this link will work for you.
http://deespackagestore.com/HO_6-beer-samples.html

ggilbertva
09-14-2010, 10:01
Although I appreciate some of the hoppier-style beers, I tend to lean towards the lower hop/high malt content beers as well which puts many of the fine Belgian ales high on my list of favorites. If you haven't picked it up already, be on the lookout for the six pack sampler packaged by Brouwerij Van Steenberge which generally costs around $18. It's a good investment, as you get to sample a half dozen quality Belgian ales for $3 a piece and each has its own unique character despite coming from the same brewery. I've seen different configurations of the sampler in recent years, but whichever one you find will be well worth your money and quite enjoyable.

Actually, I was eyeballing that sampler just the other day. Instead I picked up a Brooklyn Local 1, Gulden Draak and RedHook Expedition 8-4-1. I'll probably go back and get the sample this weekend.

smokinjoe
09-14-2010, 12:43
It's only 3:20, but I'm having a SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale. Hopefully, will make a what's been a crappy day go better.

cigarnv
09-15-2010, 04:29
Enjoyed a Flying Dog IPA last evening..... decent beer for what has become a large producer......

ggilbertva
09-17-2010, 17:15
Ommegang Rare Vos. Huge difference between this and the Abbey Ale. Mild hops, citrus and roasted grain and malt in the background. Lighter brew than the other Ales I've had this week. Refreshing.

spun_cookie
09-17-2010, 18:50
Working. 5 day IPA at the Cardinal's game (San Diego down 3 to 8 in the Bottom of the 4th).

The beer is OK. A little light for the IPAs I have been working.

OscarV
09-17-2010, 19:18
Working. at the Cardinal's game (San Diego down 3 to 8 in the Bottom of the 4th).

Cool, go Cards.
I don't have much faith if any for those West Coast teams.
But I do wish the Cards were in it so that I'd have something to follow.

unclebunk
09-18-2010, 07:07
Nice autumnal evening last night, so we lit the fire and knocked off a case of Guinness bottles (not the cans with the nitrogen gizmo). It was a nice change of pace and went well with a few cigars and some FRSB.

smokinjoe
09-19-2010, 19:13
Great Lakes "Dortmunder Gold". Finally got it cold after returning with it from Kentucky and KBF several hours ago. I had just finished my last bottle couple of weeks ago, but now can go back to enjoying one of my favorite brews. Yummy stuff.

Pieface
09-19-2010, 20:30
Weinstaphaner hefeweiss for the past couple of days and chimay red prior. Both good drops but I think I favour the Chimay ahead of the Weinstaphaner.

Will have to try and lay my hands on some of the Chimay Blue!

nor02lei
09-20-2010, 02:53
From a recommendation I got at Helsinki beer festival in April me, my lady partner and her daughter with boyfriend did visit a brew bar in Helsinki in the weekend. They had very good beer with a ale they called amber ale that tasted like an punchy IPA and an imperial porter as the best. A very surprising fact was that the beer was much cheaper than this type of beer in a Swedish quality bar. If anyone will visit Helsinki I would be glad to give directions.

Leif

nor02lei
09-24-2010, 02:23
Yvonne and me had a side by side of Bigfoot 2009 and 2010 yesterday. She liked the 2009 better and I the 2010, but we did both agree that the storage had taken away quit a lot of the hop character in the 2009 and let other flavours thru.

Leif

cigarnv
09-24-2010, 03:32
I am not big on flavored beers but will dabble a bit in pumpkin ales during the fall. I was given a bottle of pumkin ale made by the Williamsburg Alewerks that is probably the best I have ever had. Great flavor, good pie spice but very well balanced. I have tried finding some locally with no luck... if you see it, try it.....

ggilbertva
09-24-2010, 05:40
I am not big on flavored beers but will dabble a bit in pumpkin ales during the fall. I was given a bottle of pumkin ale made by the Williamsburg Alewerks that is probably the best I have ever had. Great flavor, good pie spice but very well balanced. I have tried finding some locally with no luck... if you see it, try it.....

I'll stop tonight, I believe either Wegman's had it or Total Wine.

cigarnv
09-24-2010, 07:07
I'll stop tonight, I believe either Wegman's had it or Total Wine.

Greg, I tried both Total and Wegmans by me with no luck...

ggilbertva
09-24-2010, 19:07
After a very long day, relaxing with a Sierra Nevada Glissade.

sailor22
09-25-2010, 04:25
Last night I tried a Hebrew Ale - really liked it --- then I had a Mendocino Red Tail Ale - liked that too. For years I thought most smaller brewerie's beers were not so good but it turns out it is because my friends kept pushing IPA's at me. Now I know I prefer an Ale to an IPA - by a mile. Just don't dig the bitter hoppy thing much.

I have a Mendocino Black Hawk Stout to try tonight. This is fun.

cigarnv
09-25-2010, 04:54
Sammy Smith Pale Ale with dinner last evening..... one of the classics that never lets one down but as of late a bit over shadowed by the american craft tidal wave........

smokinjoe
09-25-2010, 15:25
After working my freakin' arse off today around the house, this Bluegrass Brewing Bourbon Barrel Stout is really...I mean REALLY...hitting the spot.

spun_cookie
09-25-2010, 15:53
Going to Folsom Nights in a few. But, to prime the pump, working:

o St Peter's Sorgam beer (Non Wheat, Rye or Barley Grain) - differnt
o Belhaven Scottish Stout

I am sure a few more will go down before we blow this joint...

cigarnv
09-26-2010, 05:45
Revisited a Terrapin Monks Revenge last evening.... a cross between an IPA and a Belgium...... I am not sure thay got either right on this one. Possibly a matter of personal taste but IMO they created a brew that was less then the sum of its parts..... A pass for me.....

unclebunk
09-26-2010, 09:11
Goose Island Harvest Ale which they describe as "an American ESB." I used to love their flagship Honkers Ale but find myself drinking Goose Island IPA more often these days. Now the seasonal Harvest Ale is my favorite.

cigarnv
09-26-2010, 13:10
Just finished up a 5.3 mile walk and settled in with a nice Flying Dog Classic Pale Ale. Clean and crisp... very easy to drink. The perfect "health" drink to follow up forced exercise.... sure beats carrot and beet juice!!!

All I need now is a cigar and some of those ribs Greg is smoking up.....

Gillman
09-26-2010, 15:51
I too did a long walk today, and concluded with a canned VB from Australia - very good stuff, I was pleasantly surprised. VB originally meant Victoria Bitter, whilst (we will stick with British idiom) the beer itself seemed quite like a lager. But very drinkable. I'd much rather have a well-made commercial (mass-market) beer than a poorly conceived or brewed craft beer.

Gary

ggilbertva
09-27-2010, 05:49
...and those Ribs turned out quite nice. Used a single piece of applewood for light smoke.

Yesterday while cooking up the ribs and the subsequent feasting, I enjoyed three distinct beers; Blue Moon Seasonal Pumpkin, Ry(e)an Ale, Terrapin Sunray. The Blue Moon was an impulse buy since this was something new. I'll admit, it was a nice beer and one I like better than the normal Blue Moon.

smokinjoe
09-28-2010, 15:54
Oooohhh....A little nip in the air as the sun goes down. Makes this Great Lakes Blackout Stout all the better. I had a cord of firewood delivered last weekend in preparation for outdoor fireplace season. This coolness, and this exceptional stout, almost makes we want to go fire one up.

SBOmarc
09-28-2010, 16:26
While Joe contemplates firing one up, A Stone Brewery Ruination IPA.

smokinjoe
09-28-2010, 16:33
While Joe contemplates firing one up, A Stone Brewery Ruination IPA.

Well played, sir. :D Ya know, when I re-read that after posting, I wondered if somebody would hit on that. Oh gosh, I did it again...
BTW Marc, congrats on your Phils. Best team in baseball. :toast:

cigarnv
09-28-2010, 19:15
Flying Dog Porter to end the evening.... pretty pedestrian brew that does not hit may bells as porters go....easy drinker but won't be on future buy lists...

SBOmarc
09-28-2010, 19:23
Well played, sir. :D Ya know, when I re-read that after posting, I wondered if somebody would hit on that. Oh gosh, I did it again...
BTW Marc, congrats on your Phils. Best team in baseball. :toast:

Thanks Joe, and you are most likely correct for late September. If you can say that in late October, that would be even better.

smokinjoe
09-29-2010, 15:53
Terrapin Rye Squared after my run. This beer jumps around on me. It ranges from OK to spectacular. Probably the most mood/palate condition sensitive brew I work. Today it'sl pushing the spectacular range.

rocky480
10-02-2010, 05:48
A damp, windy, cool morning yesterday made me realize that fall really had arrived, so on the drive home I thought a couple of seasonal beers would be in order. So, I compared the Williamsburg Pumpkin Ale (thanks to Reid's post) against the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale (a favorite of my wife's). I'm generally not a fan of the pumpkin flavored beers, but the Williamsburg was very enjoyable and completely outclassed the Dogfish Head for my tastes. I finished with the last bottle of Legend Brown Ale that I had. I've been underwhelmed by this brew, particularly at it's price point, and I don't plan on giving it another shot.

cigarnv
10-04-2010, 18:37
A damp, windy, cool morning yesterday made me realize that fall really had arrived, so on the drive home I thought a couple of seasonal beers would be in order. So, I compared the Williamsburg Pumpkin Ale (thanks to Reid's post) against the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale (a favorite of my wife's). I'm generally not a fan of the pumpkin flavored beers, but the Williamsburg was very enjoyable and completely outclassed the Dogfish Head for my tastes. I finished with the last bottle of Legend Brown Ale that I had. I've been underwhelmed by this brew, particularly at it's price point, and I don't plan on giving it another shot.

Don't drink all that Williamsburg Mike!!!!:grin: :grin:

unclebunk
10-05-2010, 06:46
Belhaven Wee Heavy and a pour of Springbank 10 will be had this evening before going to see the great Scottish rock band Teenage Fanclub. This is going to be a great night!

smokinjoe
10-08-2010, 15:59
Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. I am forever thankful to my longtime German neighbor Walter, for introducing me to this beer a couple of years ago. A really wonderful beer.

PAspirit1
10-10-2010, 14:54
I've finally started to explore the world of beer beyond our usuals. Some of my favorites so far are: Chimay Blue and Red and Unibrough Maudite. Not too far behind those are Hoegarden and Double Bock. Orval and Duval are at the top of my list of ones to try soon.

unclebunk
10-10-2010, 15:56
Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. I am forever thankful to my longtime German neighbor Walter, for introducing me to this beer a couple of years ago. A really wonderful beer.

The entire Weihenstephaner line are classics in my book. I wish I could find their products on tap more often but will happily settle for what I can get.

Barrel_Proof
01-19-2011, 17:59
It may not be the Summer of 2010, but I just enjoyed a can of 666 Devil's Pale Ale that Gillman sent to me through Scratchline. Thank you Gary; thank you Mike! This is a tasty Toronto-brewed English-style pale. Thoroughly enjoyed it Gary! Thank you Mike for the hand-off!

imbibehour
01-19-2011, 18:07

That's a great friggin Hefeweizen.

unclebunk
01-19-2011, 18:24
Old Thumper, a British ESB, produced in England by the Ringwood Brewery but made in the US under contract by the Shipyard Brewery in Maine. Really fine quality ale which went well with tonight's roast beef dinner.

Gillman
01-19-2011, 18:50
Hey glad to hear the 666 found a home. It's more popular than ever here!

Gary

Barrel_Proof
01-19-2011, 18:56
How very thoughtful of you, Gary. You know that pale ales are my favorites!
Hey glad to hear the 666 found a home. It's more popular than ever here!

Gary