PDA

View Full Version : Joshua Brook 8 year old 90 proof

PaulO
07-02-2010, 06:39
The label says bottled by Frank-Lin Distillers Products Ltd San Jose, CA. One case of this showed up at a local store a few years ago. Then I didn't see it again until earlier this week. It is an interesting bourbon. It has mild flavors that remind me of maple syrup, vanilla, and pecan pie. Old Rip Van Winkle also had something similar but not exactly the same. This Joshua Brook is a real curiosity to me. Does anyone know who made it?

cowdery
07-02-2010, 11:15
The label says bottled by Frank-Lin Distillers Products Ltd San Jose, CA. One case of this showed up at a local store a few years ago. Then I didn't see it again until earlier this week. It is an interesting bourbon. It has mild flavors that remind me of maple syrup, vanilla, and pecan pie. Old Rip Van Winkle also had something similar but not exactly the same. This Joshua Brook is a real curiosity to me. Does anyone know who made it?

The best answer is "probably Heaven Hill." If it says "Kentucky" on the label, that makes Heaven Hill slightly more likely as it eliminates Lawrenceburg, IN from contention. However, the truth about bulk whiskey sales and the Kentucky distillers is that nobody sells bulk except when they do. Heaven Hill does bulk sales to companies such as Frank-Lin as part of its regular business, mostly on long term contracts although they also do spot sales. Barton/Tom Moore was also in that business but Sazerac claims they no longer are. Everybody sells bulk when they have a little excess. That's their safety valve.

PaulO
07-04-2010, 05:12
I have had some KBD brands that were good, but reminded me a lot of Heaven Hill brands. This J Brook seems different. Maybe it's from Barton or someone else?

cowdery
07-04-2010, 12:57
I have had some KBD brands that were good, but reminded me a lot of Heaven Hill brands. This J Brook seems different. Maybe it's from Barton or someone else?

It could even be a mixture from a couple of different places. Brands like that are very catch-as-catch-can.

Gillman
08-04-2010, 13:10
I have tasted Joshua Brook and differently branded bourbons from this company, and all share the mild, maple syrup-like taste mentioned. Clearly the company has and maintains a profile for its bourbons. It may well be from vatting the produce of two or more distillers. I'd say Heaven Hill is likely one of them judging by taste, because e.g., current EWSBs have that kind of profile (mild, even-tempered). Maybe the Brooks are from similar barrels mingled.

Gary

OscarV
08-04-2010, 13:14
It could even be a mixture from a couple of different places.

It may well be from vatting the produce of two or more distillers.

That's what I say it is judging from the taste, it's like nothing I've had before and that's not a complment.:rolleyes:

SBOmarc
08-04-2010, 14:14
The juice is awful, but it's not good...I did get a nice Joshua Brook hat from my local liquor store free...and that's okay.