PDA

View Full Version : Noob from New Mexico!!!

blopez50
07-24-2010, 11:33
Hello all!

It looks like you guys have a great site and Im glad to be a part of it. As a big time cigar smoker (a lot of collecting as well), Im glad to see that many of you are BOTLs as well!

I am fairly new to bourbon and have only tried 7 different bottles to this point. Its very hard to find many of the bottles that you guys talk about on here so Ill probably be doing some internet shopping!

:drink:
Brian

Bourbon Boiler
07-24-2010, 18:16
Welcome aboard. I'm fairly new myself, and have found nothing but friendly people and good advice from this community.

I wouldn't worry about trying to find the most oft discussed bottles right away. Get a feel for waht you like, and then use the discussions to guide you into what rare/higher cost offerings are more likely taylored to your taste. Just my $.02.

Off topic, but being in the Albuquerque area, have you by chance been to the Unser racing museum? If I'm in the area and an open wheel racing fan (but not particularly a follower of any of the Unsers), do you think it's worth a visit?

blopez50
07-24-2010, 18:26
Thanks for the advice man!

I have not made it over there, drove by it a few times but never stopped. To be honest I'm not a real big racing fan...

Are you in the area very often?

mrviognier
07-25-2010, 09:14
Welcome to the site! I assume you've been to Quarters, Kelly's and Jubilation? If you find yourself around the Santa Fe area, Kokoman may be worth a stop.

Used to spend a lot of time selling wine in ABQ. Really enjoyed Ambrozia, Artichoke Cafe and Gruet Steakhouse.

fishnbowljoe
07-25-2010, 16:27
Welcome to the site Brian. There is a thread in this forum titled "Affordable Bourbons and Ryes For Beginners", that you might find helpful. I'll bump up another one with some helpful hints that you may find useful too. Hope you enjoy yourself here. Cheers! Joe

Bourbon Boiler
07-25-2010, 17:22
Thanks for the advice man!

I have not made it over there, drove by it a few times but never stopped. To be honest I'm not a real big racing fan...

Are you in the area very often?

I will probably be in the Alb area sometime this fall for a couple of days on business. I'm in the Las Cruces area probably 3-4 times a year. I always love my fall visits so I can stuff my suitcase with fresh peppers for the flight home.

blopez50
07-26-2010, 13:37
Matt, thanks for the Santa Fe suggestion. Ive been to all three that you mentioned and while they (especially Kellys) have a huge scotch selection, the bourbon isle is pretty short..

Joe, thanks for the welcome and the push in the right direction.

Boiler, no trip to the Cruces/Hatch area would be complete without lots of green chili!

On a more bourbon related note, I was able to try quite a few different pours this weekend. I had some EC 12, 1792, BT, Eagle Rare, and the classic EW. The EC was by far my favorite!

Josh
07-26-2010, 13:44
Matt, thanks for the Santa Fe suggestion. Ive been to all three that you mentioned and while they (especially Kellys) have a huge scotch selection, the bourbon isle is pretty short..

Joe, thanks for the welcome and the push in the right direction.

Boiler, no trip to the Cruces/Hatch area would be complete without lots of green chili!

On a more bourbon related note, I was able to try quite a few different pours this weekend. I had some EC 12, 1792, BT, Eagle Rare, and the classic EW. The EC was by far my favorite!

Those are some great, benchmark (no pun intended) pours. Oh, and welcome!

Joshua
07-26-2010, 22:58
If the EC12 was your favorite by far... you may want to give the Evan Williams single barrels a shot, Fighting Cock for something with a bit more punch, or Henry McKenna. There is also the lower shelf brands bearing the distillery's name (Heaven Hill) that can be a pretty great value for the price.

I think Heaven Hill bourbons have a really noticeable taste of mint/eucalyptus... if that's a quality you really like in EC12, it would be worth checking out other products from the distillery!

I would buy a few bottles of cheaper bourbons, Wild Turkey 101, Old Weller Antique 107, Rittenhouse Rye 100 proof Bottled In Bond, Old Forester Signature (100 proof), and maybe Four Roses Yellow. All pretty inexpensive with different flavor profiles. I would throw in Eagle Rare 10/90 or Buffalo Trace, but since you tasted them may as well try new stuff!

Once you start to figure out the general profiles you like, it's much easier to branch out and move up from there

blopez50
07-27-2010, 14:21
Joshua,

Thanks for the advice, Im going to pick up a bottle of Evan Williams SB on my way home tonight. I like that black label and am excited to try this one. For living in a (fairly good sized) city, the bourbon selection is surprisingly limited and I have yet to see many of the names that you mentioned.

This is a long shot, but does anyone by chance recall seeing another NM member on here that may be able to give a little advice on this issue?

BourbonRob
08-01-2010, 10:33
Welcome to the site!!

I vist the Santa Fe/ABQ/Gallup areas twice a year...The selections are limited...WT 101 and EC12 were the best finds for me so far... I try to get the AZ for variety when I'm in NM ...

I have a similar problem in Alabama...so a quick trip to a bordering state brings a whole different selection...I have 2 states within a hour of me and the selections are completely different

Happy hunting and welcome...

Rob