PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Eastern Iowa

lrochau
08-01-2010, 07:41
Greetings from Davenport, IA. I recently discovered this forum and have really enjoy soaking up all the information that I can!

I've always enjoyed bourbon but the last few years I have really had a good time trying new brands as much as possible. A trip to Buffalo Trace a few years ago really triggered a deeper interest.

Selection in Davenport is pretty limited. I haven't ventured over the river to IL lately to try to find a liquor store that might have a few gems on the shelves.

A stop at a local liquor store on recent business trip to southern IN turned up a bottle of WTKS for $24.00 and Old Pogue Masters for $22.00. I gladly scooped them up and passed on the case of some off brand beer for $7.99 that was selling like hot cakes.

OscarV
08-01-2010, 07:47
Welcome aboard!
Have you checked to see if Binny's in Chicago can ship to Iowa?
If so your'e in luck, they have a good bourbon selection.
Their website doesn't always list everything they carry but a phone call would be worth it, they have a great staff.

Josh
08-01-2010, 11:49
A stop at a local liquor store on recent business trip to southern IN turned up a bottle of WTKS for $24.00 and Old Pogue Masters for $22.00. I gladly scooped them up and passed on the case of some off brand beer for $7.99 that was selling like hot cakes.

Welcome lrochau! Those are some great prices!

I agree with Oscar. It's even worth a day trip to Chicago. Not just b/c Chicago is a great town, but so you can spend some time at an actual Binny's. Go to the south loop store, wander around, take it all in, then go across the street, stuff your face with corned beef at Manny's Deli, and then go back across the street and empty your wallet at Binny's. If there's time, visit the Art Institute, the aquarium, a zoo and the museums.:grin:

lrochau
08-01-2010, 17:37
A trip to Binney's is definitely on the schedule. My girlfriend's parents live in Crete, IL (far south burbs) so there has to be a location near there.

hectic1
08-01-2010, 17:57
Welcome aboard...

The closest location to there would be the Orland Park Binny's...If possible I would try to hit the south loop location as the one in Orland is on the smaller side and they don't have the variety that some of the other locations have.

Just my 2 cents.

p_elliott
08-02-2010, 06:45
Welcome aboard Irochau from a fellow Iowan. There are few of us on the site. I used to live closer to you in Ft. Madison but now live clear over in the SW corner of the state. One of the Members here Brad (Illfarmboy) does not live that far from you between you and Peoria ILL. Private Message him he'll hook you up with some places to shop for bourbon in your neck of the woods. Enjoy the site people are here to help you out so don't be afraid to ask. Come join us in chat (the gazebo top of main forum page) it's officially Thursday and Sunday nights but someone is there most nights. I'm in there most mornings, it says at the bottom of the main forum page who is in chat. Have some fun here and make some new friends.

ratcheer
08-02-2010, 07:01
Welcome to StraightBourbon.com, Irochau!

Tim

craigthom
08-02-2010, 15:57
I second asking Illfarmboy. I don't know exactly where he is, but he's somewhere between you and Peoria, and I think he goes to the Quad Cities to shop from time to time. He would certainly be the best to ask about what's available in Moline and Rock Island.

Bourbon Boiler
08-02-2010, 16:12
Welcome aboard! I can't really claim Iowa, I lived in Clinton but it was only for one summer on an internship.

I second the thought about the chat. There are lots of very friendly people here who like to answer questions.

ILLfarmboy
08-02-2010, 16:25
Greetings from Davenport, IA. I recently discovered this forum and have really enjoy soaking up all the information that I can!

I've always enjoyed bourbon but the last few years I have really had a good time trying new brands as much as possible. A trip to Buffalo Trace a few years ago really triggered a deeper interest.

Selection in Davenport is pretty limited. I haven't ventured over the river to IL lately to try to find a liquor store that might have a few gems on the shelves.

Hi neighbor, and welcome to the forum.

Try the Hy Vee Wine and Spirits out on Kimberly, the one clear out by Super Walmart, then hit the one in Milan, tell Charlie Gibson, the manager there, his neighbor' son sent you.

In the QC, once you've hit all of the Hy Vee's, you've seen it all.

fishnbowljoe
08-04-2010, 18:21
Cheers and welcome to SB Irochau! :grin: Joe

lrochau
08-08-2010, 18:40
Thanks for all the welcomes! Made a trip to MN this weekend to visit friends and made a few buys on stuff I can't get in IA:

ORVW 10 year
Old Weller Antique 107 (had a few glasses of this last night and it was great)
Van Winkle 12 year Lot B
Eagle Rare 17

If all the others are as good as the Weller was, I'll be extremely happy

ILLfarmboy
08-08-2010, 20:17
Thanks for all the welcomes! Made a trip to MN this weekend to visit friends and made a few buys on stuff I can't get in IA:

ORVW 10 year
Old Weller Antique 107 (had a few glasses of this last night and it was great)
Van Winkle 12 year Lot B
Eagle Rare 17

If all the others are as good as the Weller was, I'll be extremely happy

The Hy Vee Wine and Spirits in Milan stocks Old Weller Antique 107.