PDA

View Full Version : Costco Bourbon?

libertybar
08-16-2010, 11:42
Hey, anyone know where Costoco is getting their boubon? Apparently it's a distillery with "two names"... OoooK.

Anyone know who is supplying this bourbon?

marco246
08-16-2010, 13:10
Not sure what you mean. The COSTCO here on the Big Island has only Maker's Mark and Jim Beam white. They're both owned by Beam Global which is owned by Fortune Brands. The store here also carries Jack Daniel's black. All are in 1.75 jugs.

Josh
08-16-2010, 14:33
Hey, anyone know where Costoco is getting their boubon? Apparently it's a distillery with "two names"... OoooK.

Anyone know who is supplying this bourbon?

Stitzel-Weller, maybe?:lol:

doubleblank
08-16-2010, 14:56
This thread is in the "premium" category?

Randy

wadewood
08-16-2010, 15:25
Costco's in store brand is Kirkland Signature. They "make" many items under this brand. I like Costco and have found this Kirkland Signature brand generally offers very good value, examples include an excellent EV Olive Oil and Balsamic Vinegar. In certain states, Costco directly sells liquor. I know they have done Kirkland Signature versions of Vodka and Tequila, so guessing they now have a bourbon.

RedVette
08-16-2010, 15:49

Randy

It's premium private label warehouse club Bourbon. The Kirkland stuff is way better than Sam's Choice.

Virus_Of_Life
08-16-2010, 16:40

Randy

Uh, not anymore it isn't.

whskylvr
08-16-2010, 17:05
I haven't seen a bourbon. They have a fantastic scotch whisky they put out each year. It is a Macallan 18yr. Only difference is it is aged 15 yrs in Oak and three additional years in Sherry butts. The Macallan 18 yr is aged for 18 yrs in Sherry.

The Macallan 18 yr - $150.00

The Kirkland Macallan 18 yr - $59.99

harshest
08-17-2010, 07:21
This reminds me of when my wife was at Sams Club. She came home and said I almost bought you a bottle of "Members Mark". Keep in mind that the Sams Club store brand of food and other grocery items is Members Mark. I thought wow that's interesting, then pulled out my bottle of Makers Mark and said did it look like this? Sure did she said...

MJL
09-09-2010, 05:37
Does anyone know if the liquor stores in Costco and Sams club actually check for membership cards? I used to be a member of both many years ago but they moved out of my community so I let my membership lapse. My memory is that they do not check for membership cards in the liquor stores. Do they?

harshest
09-09-2010, 05:44
Does anyone know if the liquor stores in Costco and Sams club actually check for membership cards? I used to be a member of both many years ago but they moved out of my community so I let my membership lapse. My memory is that they do not check for membership cards in the liquor stores. Do they?

In Michigan you can buy liquor without having a membership at Sams, not sure about Costco or the laws in Florida though.

Josh
09-09-2010, 07:02
In Michigan you can buy liquor without having a membership at Sams, not sure about Costco or the laws in Florida though.

Costco too. It's a MI law.

sailor22
03-13-2011, 09:20
The local Costco has a new Kirkland Small Batch 9yr Bourbon. It has tasting notes on the attractive bottle that sound a lot like 4R Small Batch. $20 a full liter would make it a bargain if the juice is any good.

Parkersback
03-13-2011, 11:15
So to the original question, does anyone know who supplies the bourbon to Costco?

Two names and a willingness to sell stock and the obvious suspect would be Heaven Hill.

It'd be neat to know for sure, though, and to know the age and basic style.

nblair
03-13-2011, 12:10
Although Heaven Hill might be a safe guess. I am pretty sure I saw a pic of the label online and it said Clermont, KY (I believe that HAS to be Beam). Has anyone seen the label in stores to confirm?

proof and age
03-13-2011, 17:36
It is Beam definitely.

proof and age
03-14-2011, 07:44
7 year 103 proof "premium" small batch is the label I saw.

trumpstylz
03-15-2011, 06:51
Yeah, a lot of states have laws against requiring a membership to buy booze, but I think they do not require it even in a lot of states that don't have laws against it. The best thing to do is to call and talk to a manager, because a lot of times the cashier doesn't know anything about this rule (which was the case when I went).

sailor22
03-15-2011, 07:14
7 year 103 proof "premium" small batch is the label I saw.

you have it right - my memory sucks.

it didn't mention where it was distilled specifically, unless you count "The Commonwealth of Kentucky" as specific.

Sure it's Beam juice?

nblair
03-15-2011, 15:50
Sure it's Beam juice?

I'll be damned, I'm surprised I found a use for Twitter. Googled it to try and find something when this came up:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/4ab29a34-ed0c-0c60.jpg

sku
03-15-2011, 16:25
I'll be damned, I'm surprised I found a use for Twitter. Googled it to try and find something when this came up:

http://184.72.239.143/mu/4ab29a34-ed0c-0c60.jpg

According to the Kentucky Secretary of State, Clear Spring Distilling Co. is an assumed name of Buffalo Trace.

https://app.sos.ky.gov/corpscans/86/0305186-09-99998-20110314-ASN-4684788-PU.pdf

tehbeardman
03-15-2011, 16:38
Sooo...a liter of Buffalo Trace juice 7yrs 103 proof for $20? Has anybody tried this?

proof and age
03-15-2011, 17:28
Sooo...a liter of Buffalo Trace juice 7yrs 103 proof for $20? Has anybody tried this?

It's Beam whiskey friend, FYI

tmckenzie
03-15-2011, 17:29
clear spring is also used on beams eight star blended whiskey.

Rughi
03-15-2011, 18:00
I believe that distilling happens at Clermont and Boston, bottling is done at Frankfort and aging at all 3, but how are Beam products usually labelled?

I also think Clermont is always listed and Boston never.
Is Frankfort listed along with Clermont on all, most or just a few labels?

Josh
03-15-2011, 18:22
I believe that distilling happens at Clermont and Boston, bottling is done at Frankfort and aging at all 3, but how are Beam products usually labelled?

I also think Clermont is always listed and Boston never.
Is Frankfort listed along with Clermont on all, most or just a few labels?

IIRC just the OGD labels.

sku
03-15-2011, 18:24
Looking at the history of assumed names, it looks like before the Clear Springs brand was owned by Buffalo Trace, it was owned by Barton, so perhaps it came over with the purchase.

tehbeardman
03-15-2011, 18:40
It's Beam whiskey friend, FYI

I've been punk'd

callmeox
03-15-2011, 18:52
So, it's 7yo Old Taylor stock that BT got from Beam?

DeanSheen
03-15-2011, 19:55
Well hopefully I'll be drinking some on Thursday night.

I can't believe no one on here has tasted it yet.

squire
03-15-2011, 20:35
Could be some leftover plonk that even Beam was too embarrassed to bottle. But for $20.00 . . .

TomH
03-16-2011, 06:42
Hard to taste it if you haven't seen it yet....I checked with our local Costco spirits guy and he was not even aware of it.

Tom

Well hopefully I'll be drinking some on Thursday night.

I can't believe no one on here has tasted it yet.

DeanSheen
03-16-2011, 06:57
Hard to taste it if you haven't seen it yet....I checked with our local Costco spirits guy and he was not even aware of it.

Tom

Yes well I spoke too soon. Apparently there are no Costco's with liquor stores in Ohio. Whoops!

proof and age
03-16-2011, 07:05
So, it's 7yo Old Taylor stock that BT got from Beam?

No, it is Beam stock directly from Beam, no BT involvement at all.

sku
03-16-2011, 07:36
No, it is Beam stock directly from Beam, no BT involvement at all.

What's your source for that. As pointed out above. The distillery name being used on these products is owned by BT.

proof and age
03-16-2011, 07:50
What's your source for that. As pointed out above. The distillery name being used on these products is owned by BT.

There was a TTB label approval that came through around January 11th, that is where I first saw it. Sorry I did not mention that before.

proof and age
03-16-2011, 07:52

The Clear Springs designate was sold recently to BT from JB I believe, now I see why that was confusing.

Virus_Of_Life
03-16-2011, 07:53
I'm going to Costco this evening so I'll check to see if they have it in my area.

Josh
03-16-2011, 08:13

Check out proof and age's member profile under "occupation".

http://www.heaven-hill.com/pr-recent.shtml?article=MTAzNTlzdXBlcjEwMzU2c2VjcmV0M TAzNjM%3D

sku
03-16-2011, 14:43
There was a TTB label approval that came through around January 11th, that is where I first saw it. Sorry I did not mention that before.

Interesting! Are those available on-line?

Virus_Of_Life
03-16-2011, 19:13
I grabbed one tonight, couldn't turn it down once I saw it was a full Liter bottle; at only $20. First impressions are positive, definitely Beam whiskey but nothing off putting at all. I haven't had knob creek in a while, but from what I recall this is quite similar.

I was told by my costco this was likely a one time deal, seems kind of hard to believe but she said anything, especially alcohol, that comes in as Kirkland brand is likely a one or two shipment thing then gone.

tehbeardman
03-17-2011, 04:07
I guess that makes sense. At my Sams club (same difference) that is about the price KC is. Interesting its kind of a one off. Wonder if it was ever made with a costco in mind our if they bought whatever beam had left from something else and bottled it. Just speculation obviously.

p_elliott
03-17-2011, 07:04
Check out proof and age's member profile under "occupation".

http://www.heaven-hill.com/pr-recent.shtml?article=MTAzNTlzdXBlcjEwMzU2c2VjcmV0M TAzNjM%3D

Well now that cat is out of the bag

TomH
03-17-2011, 07:27
I was told by my costco this was likely a one time deal, seems kind of hard to believe but she said anything, especially alcohol, that comes in as Kirkland brand is likely a one or two shipment thing then gone.

From what I have seen with scotch, it is more of an annual release rather than a year round carry item. The Kirkland scotch (Macallan) seems to always arrive around Nov-Dec and is quickly sold not not to be seen again until around the same time next year.

Josh
03-17-2011, 08:14
Well now that cat is out of the bag

I wasn't trying to "out" anybody, just pointing out that p & a is one of those folks who is going to have inside knowledge on some things.

squire
03-17-2011, 08:19
And willing to post it which is appreciated.

Josh
03-17-2011, 08:23
And willing to post it which is appreciated.

Much appreciated.

p_elliott
03-17-2011, 09:13
I wasn't trying to "out" anybody, just pointing out that p & a is one of those folks who is going to have inside knowledge on some things.

I wasn't saying you did anything wrong Josh. He has it on his profile who he is.

cowdery
03-17-2011, 10:44
A great many conclusions have been jumped to in this thread.

Although proof and age's profile says "American Whiskey Ambassador- Heaven Hill Distilleries," no name is listed. HH may very well have multiple brand ambassadors and I find it suspicious that this person posts a very specific job title without posting a real name.

Let's also be realistic about what a "brand ambassador" is and does. They are field marketing representatives and not necessarily privy to any inside information. In fact, for them to do their jobs well it is useful for them to be almost perfect mushrooms, i.e., kept in the dark and fed excrement. Their job is to sell the company line, not to tell secrets.

As for Clear Spring, the Sec. of State assumed name records are pretty definitive and make it very safe to assume that Buffalo Trace produced this product for Costco, although that doesn't necessarily tell you who made the whiskey. For that purpose the assumed business name is irrelevant.

The "Clear Spring" name does have a long history with the Beams, as you can read for yourself on pages 128 and 129 of your Cecil.

But the name and the whiskey have nothing to do with each other, and BT could be reselling whiskey made by Beam that BT acquired in the Old Taylor deal or some other transaction, or it could be whiskey from just about anyplace else or even from multiple sources.

If proof and age wants us to believe it's Beam, much better evidence needs to be provided.

Josh
03-17-2011, 11:18

Although proof and age's profile says "American Whiskey Ambassador- Heaven Hill Distilleries," no name is listed. HH may very well have multiple brand ambassadors and I find it suspicious that this person posts a very specific job title without posting a real name.

Let's also be realistic about what a "brand ambassador" is and does. They are field marketing representatives and not necessarily privy to any inside information. In fact, for them to do their jobs well it is useful for them to be almost perfect mushrooms, i.e., kept in the dark and fed excrement. Their job is to sell the company line, not to tell secrets.

It certainly is suspicious and I find it more suspicious still that he has not replied to my "outing" of him. It also doesn't follow that someone who works for Heaven Hill would be privy to the details of Beam's or BT's business.

On the other hand, I'm sure brand ambassadors are what you say they are, but even a perfect mushroom would be more in touch with what was going on inside a whiskey company than most of us here.

As for Clear Spring, the Sec. of State assumed name records are pretty definitive and make it very safe to assume that Buffalo Trace produced this product for Costco, although that doesn't necessarily tell you who made the whiskey. For that purpose the assumed business name is irrelevant.

The "Clear Spring" name does have a long history with the Beams, as you can read for yourself on pages 128 and 129 of your Cecil.

But the name and the whiskey have nothing to do with each other, and BT could be reselling whiskey made by Beam that BT acquired in the Old Taylor deal or some other transaction, or it could be whiskey from just about anyplace else or even from multiple sources.

If proof and age wants us to believe it's Beam, much better evidence needs to be provided.

Maybe I'm just thick, but it's clear as mud to me. Proof and Age's identity aside, the state records on Clear Spring say one thing, while the locations on the bottle (Clermont & Frankfort) seems to point to something else. The scenario you and Scott are getting at, that this is Beam-made whiskey being sold by Sazerac is plausible, but there are problems with that scenario too. The current label for the OT 6 y/o (I have a bottle sitting in front of me right now) reads

Distilled and Bottled Under United States Government Supervision by Old Fashioned Copper Distillery, Franklin County, Frankfort, KY.
No mention of Clermont (or Boston) is made on the label at all even though it is clearly Beam whiskey, based on the details of the deal between Beam and Sazerac and the distictive Beam nose and taste. Why would Saz/BT put Clermont on the Kirkland bottle but not on the OT bottle? To distance themselves from the brand, maybe, but it still seems odd to me.

CorvallisCracker
03-17-2011, 11:35
It's all academic to me as Costco cannot sell distilled spirits in Oregon.

cowdery
03-17-2011, 11:43
Frankfort, of course, can be Beam or BT, but Clermont can only be Beam.

Although the sleuthing can be fun, there's a certain "who cares?" factor here. My attitude about any producer who seeks to obscure the origin of their product is to ignore them and their product or, at least, to not take it very seriously.

One takeaway from this is that the claims of companies like Beam and BT that they're not in the bulk whiskey business are bullshit. Nobody sells bulk whiskey except when they do.

Josh
03-17-2011, 11:44
It's all academic to me as Costco cannot sell distilled spirits in Oregon.

Not here either. Also, Saz doesn't use the term "small batch" on any its labels except for 1792.

For what it's worth @bourbonbuzz thinks it's distilled by Beam. http://twitter.com/#!/bourbonbuzz/status/45848024806727680

Josh
03-17-2011, 11:46
Although the sleuthing can be fun, there's a certain "who cares?" factor here. My attitude about any producer who seeks to obscure the origin of their product is to ignore them and their product or, at least, to not take it very seriously.

One takeaway from this is that the claims of companies like Beam and BT that they're not in the bulk whiskey business are bullshit.

Well put and indeed.

cowdery
03-17-2011, 11:47
I think the most reliable thing in this whole thread has been Josh's organoleptic assessment.

Josh
03-17-2011, 11:54
I just hope I haven't lost my minion status.

CorvallisCracker
03-17-2011, 11:55
I think the most reliable thing in this whole thread has been Josh's organoleptic assessment.

We're all hoping he is able to get treatment for that.

proof and age
03-17-2011, 13:34

Wow, I got called out here for a few minutes, but no offense taken on my end. I made it clear that I was associated with a specific distillery, which seems like the proper and transparent thing to do.
True I would not reveal "secrets" about our distillery or any of the others I have represented or have knowledge of, nor would the others who represent distilleries who regularly post here and add to the discussions.
I do disagree with your broad assessment of "Brand Ambassadors", very broad generalization, and most of the people I have encountered (in American whiskey and Scotch whisky) who are engaged in this activity are well meaning and have managed through the years to gain knowledge from an array of sources aside from thier marketing departments. As for the original question posed here, that info, including the producer and bottler info and address, was on the COLA site for some time, I did not see it as a secret in any way. A unique proof and age combination from them is something new to try for sure.

CorvallisCracker
03-17-2011, 13:44
A unique proof and age combination from them is something new to try for sure.

Beam juice, 7yo, 53.5% ABV = Bakers $48.95 in OR

Beam juice, 7yo, 51.5% ABV = Costco "Small Batch" what was that, ~ $22 for a liter?

Yeah, I'd give it a shot if they sold it here.

I just remembered I'm driving down to California in June. I could stop at a Costco there. Wonder if they'll still have any?

squire
03-17-2011, 13:55
Aww com'on Chuck, don't be so fast with that pail of cold water. I had at least several more conclusions ready to jump.

I was under the impression that some members here are personally acquainted with Proof and Age. I am not so others will have to speak to that if they are so inclined. P&A can of course speak for himself.

sku
03-17-2011, 16:41
Looking more at the history of assumed names filings for Clear Spring, it appears that BT only recently registered the name (March 9, 2011) and that Beam may have had it in the past, though Barton appears to have had it at sometime as well. So perhaps this went out when Beam owned the name which has now been sold to BT.

tehbeardman
03-17-2011, 16:49
Wow, I got called out here for a few minutes, but no offense taken on my end. I made it clear that I was associated with a specific distillery, which seems like the proper and transparent thing to do.
True I would not reveal "secrets" about our distillery or any of the others I have represented or have knowledge of, nor would the others who represent distilleries who regularly post here and add to the discussions.
I do disagree with your broad assessment of "Brand Ambassadors", very broad generalization, and most of the people I have encountered (in American whiskey and Scotch whisky) who are engaged in this activity are well meaning and have managed through the years to gain knowledge from an array of sources aside from thier marketing departments. As for the original question posed here, that info, including the producer and bottler info and address, was on the COLA site for some time, I did not see it as a secret in any way. A unique proof and age combination from them is something new to try for sure.

I for one appreciate your transparency of what your association is with. I think a lot of people associate 'marketing' with 'evil'.

trumpstylz
03-18-2011, 08:41
Does anyone know if its the Beam low rye or grand dad high rye juice?

cowdery
03-18-2011, 14:30
There still seems to be some coyness going on with the identity of proof and age, making his association less than transparent. Are you, in fact, Rob Hutchins? Then please say so and add your real name to your profile.

Is it your understanding that this is Beam-made juice bottled for Costco by BT or that it is Beam-made juice bottled by Beam for Costco, presumably before the "Clear Spring Distillery" name passed to BT?

I will admit that as soon as I heard "Clear Spring" I thought of Beam, but I may have been thinking of Clermont Springs, which is a DBA name Beam sometimes uses.

I looked in vain for the COLA for this product but noticed that "Kirkland Signature" seems to be a brand name used extensively for wines by Gallo, though perhaps it's actually Costco's house brand wine, which Gallo produces for them. I wouldn't know, but Costco's fingerprints don't appear on the COLAs.

Does anyone know about that Linn Station Road address? Isn't Heaven Hill's Louisville marketing office on Linn Station Road?

craigthom
03-18-2011, 15:12
According to Yellowpages.com (http://www.yellowpages.com/louisville-ky/mip/sazerac-company-inc-459643329?lid=459643329) that's Sazerac.

sku
03-18-2011, 15:31
I looked in vain for the COLA for this product but noticed that "Kirkland Signature" seems to be a brand name used extensively for wines by Gallo, though perhaps it's actually Costco's house brand wine, which Gallo produces for them. I wouldn't know, but Costco's fingerprints don't appear on the COLAs.

Kirkland Signature is the Costco housebrand name (for everything).

http://shop.costco.com/en/Membership/Welcome/Kirkland-Signature.aspx

cowdery
03-18-2011, 15:56
Kirkland Signature is the Costco housebrand name (for everything).

http://shop.costco.com/en/Membership/Welcome/Kirkland-Signature.aspx

Everything alcohol or everything-everything?

sku
03-18-2011, 16:02
Everything alcohol or everything-everything?

Everything everything. To quote the Costco website, 300 "quality products" carry the Kirkland Signature label, including "housewares, luggage, pet food and bedding, baby wipes, diapers, baby formula, apparel, wine, snacks and more."

So if we know either Beam or BT make the Bourbon, who makes the baby wipes?

proof and age
03-18-2011, 16:40
There still seems to be some coyness going on with the identity of proof and age, making his association less than transparent. Are you, in fact, Rob Hutchins? Then please say so and add your real name to your profile.

Is it your understanding that this is Beam-made juice bottled for Costco by BT or that it is Beam-made juice bottled by Beam for Costco, presumably before the "Clear Spring Distillery" name passed to BT?

I will admit that as soon as I heard "Clear Spring" I thought of Beam, but I may have been thinking of Clermont Springs, which is a DBA name Beam sometimes uses.

Does anyone know about that Linn Station Road address? Isn't Heaven Hill's Louisville marketing office on Linn Station Road?

I have added my name to my profile, did not know it was required.
I have no axe to grind about this subject, just passed along some info I had seen and cleared up any confusion as to who and who was not involved here. Anyone in fact can go to the site and see what I saw, pretty sure it is public record of some sort. I have met a number of members of this forum, and I am glad to be a member, I come in peace.

cowdery
03-18-2011, 18:41
I have added my name to my profile, did not know it was required.
I have no axe to grind about this subject, just passed along some info I had seen and cleared up any confusion as to who and who was not involved here. Anyone in fact can go to the site and see what I saw, pretty sure it is public record of some sort. I have met a number of members of this forum, and I am glad to be a member, I come in peace.

It's not required, but that chip-on-the-shoulder attitude is why your entry here has been so rocky. Either you're telling us who you are or you aren't. Plenty of people here have never identified themselves, although most of the regulars have. The way people normally introduce themselves is with their name, not their job title. That's all.

Edward_call_me_Ed
03-18-2011, 20:52
I sure hope this shows up in Japan Costco. I like the Kirkland Tequila. The only bourbon they carry in Sapporo is Four Roses yellow label. They also carry Jack Daniels. Both of them are in 750 ml bottles.

Ed

trumpstylz
03-23-2011, 19:23
I'd probably compare it to a younger KC (its also in the same bottle). Although KC is better, this is a far greater value (not quite as complex but it has the same nuttiness).

Value wise- the equivalent of a 20$ liter is a 15$ 750 ml, so its a pretty damn good value, especially considering its 7 yr 103 prf.

But yeah, its definitely standard beam mashbill.

cowdery
03-24-2011, 00:32
We've been talking about so many other things that I hadn't reflected on what a peculiar specification 7-year-old, 103 proof, is -- especially the proof (51.5% ABV)? It's pretty hard to go wrong with those specs at that price but it's possible. I assume Costco just wanted something uniquely theirs. Is anything else sold at 103 proof? Baker's is 7-years-old and 107 proof, right? Maybe this is some errant Baker's that they stretched a little bit.

We've talked about situations where a producer would want to prohibit a marketer from revealing the source. This -- where it's being sold way cheaper than the producer would -- is one of them.

OscarV
03-24-2011, 02:24
Value wise- the equivalent of a 20$ liter is a 15$ 750 ml, so its a pretty damn good value, especially considering its 7 yr 103 prf.

Yep, time to buy a Beam.
And what do they get for Basil?

birdman1099
03-24-2011, 05:02
Is anything else sold at 103 proof?

Fighting Cock is 103 proof, and I believe 6 yrs old....

trumpstylz
03-24-2011, 10:00
Fighting Cock is 103 proof, and I believe 6 yrs old....

That's what I was thinking. Although, it doesn't really taste a whole lot like FC. Maybe it's just to throw us off of the scent on the beam trail.

cowdery
03-24-2011, 11:24
Making a proof point isn't a big deal. It's hard to imagine they're targeting the Fighting Cock drinker. Not enough for them to matter. What's the package look like? That's usually a good indication of who they're targeting.

squire
03-24-2011, 11:37
Sounds like they are targeting the cost conscious bang for the buck consumer. I would also like to see a picture of the bottle.

Virus_Of_Life
03-24-2011, 11:59
Looks like a knob creek bottle in a way, very similar only a little bigger. It is a Liter after all.

To me it tastes spicier than typical KC, but I haven't had KC in quite a while. Also haven't had OGD BiB so can't say, but wonder if this isn't that mashbill.

squire
03-24-2011, 13:40
Looks like KC alright, right down to the cork. I once bought a 1.75 ltr of KC and that thing was a handful.

autiger23
03-24-2011, 17:54
Looks like a knob creek bottle in a way, very similar only a little bigger. It is a Liter after all.

To me it tastes spicier than typical KC, but I haven't had KC in quite a while. Also haven't had OGD BiB so can't say, but wonder if this isn't that mashbill.

How much was it virus?

Virus_Of_Life
03-24-2011, 18:08
How much was it virus?
$19.99 here in Minnesota.

cowdery
03-24-2011, 18:21
It looks like they handed the designer a bottle of Knob and a bottle of Woodford and said, "make something in between."

You didn't tell me it's both premium and small batch!

They'll sell a million of them.

trumpstylz
03-24-2011, 18:38
Yeah, the bottle design is very similar to KC- except the top is less square/more rounded at the top.

This might take a spot next to VOB in my value spot.

flintlock
03-24-2011, 20:50
Is it available in KY Costco's?

craigthom
03-25-2011, 04:36
Is it available in KY Costco's?

I don't live that close to Costco, and I'm not a member, but I'll check.

(One doesn't have to be a member of Costco in Kentucky to shop at the liquor and wine store. I just don't make it over there often.)

TheGentleman
03-25-2011, 04:52
I saw it in Louisville this past weekend. Plenty was available.

craigthom
03-25-2011, 05:15
I saw it in Louisville this past weekend. Plenty was available.

Excellent. And that's not far from the Springhurst Liquor Barn, if an out-of-town visitor wanted to expand their search.

cigarnv
03-25-2011, 05:20
Has Costco always sold liquor in Kentucky?

craigthom
03-25-2011, 05:23
I've only been here four years, but the Louisville Costco has sold liquor all that time.

Like Sam's Club, the liquor and wine store has a separate entrance, and no membership is required. Costco only takes cash, Amex, or debit for payment.

smokinjoe
03-25-2011, 15:36
I picked up a couple of bottles today. The UPC on them state 80686. Beam is 80686. If that means anything.

cowdery
03-25-2011, 15:47
I think it means there is something we're not getting about the Clear Springs DBA.

craigthom
03-25-2011, 18:41
I think it means there is something we're not getting about the Clear Springs DBA.

Maybe that the labels were approved before the DBA was transfered, and this use was allowed as a condition of the transfer?

ErichPryde
03-25-2011, 19:19
It's very, very good bourbon- ESPECIALLY for the price. it's hotter than knob creek, and sweeter. there's a big red cinnamon thing going on in there. but it's an incredible value whiskey. Let it settle in the glass for a bit or use it to make old fashioneds.

jcg9779
03-25-2011, 19:27
I picked up a couple of bottles today. The UPC on them state 80686. Beam is 80686. If that means anything.

Joe, at which Costco did you purchase these? The one by me (Perimeter - near 400 and 285) didn't sell the Kirkland Bourbon.

smokinjoe
03-25-2011, 20:05
Joe, at which Costco did you purchase these? The one by me (Perimeter - near 400 and 285) didn't sell the Kirkland Bourbon.

They do now, Jack. :)

cowdery
03-25-2011, 21:21
I never found the COLA but, yes, it could be an old label.

BigRich
03-29-2011, 07:11
They do now, Jack. :)

That's where I got mine too.

chazjaz
03-30-2011, 16:18
Erik thanks for the tasting notes. I saw the big display a couple days ago, but was reluctant to jam a liter of questionable juice into an already crowded pantry. I,ll go back grab one.

crazystix
04-06-2011, 11:59
Here is Jim Beam Brands Co.'s application with the Department of Treasury Alcohol and Tabacco Trade Bureau for the Kirkland label and bottle.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/ALFD/publicViewImage.do?id=11005000000034

Askabutcher
04-06-2011, 12:53
I never found the COLA but, yes, it could be an old label.

Here is the COLA .......

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicDisplaySearchBasic&ttbid=11005000000034

Bought some the other day, you can't beat it for the price!

sailor22
04-06-2011, 14:43
I bought a bottle a little over a week ago and have visited it a few times and we did a comparo with the Costo (Kirkland) Bourbon, Knob Creek, Knob Creek SB and JB Black.
It tastes to me like a vatting of JBB and a KC. It is a little sweeter than JBB and not as sweet or smokey or as rich as KC and KCsb.
I suppose it's a good value if your a JBB fan as it has a little more going on and is a little cheaper, but overall I was hoping for a lot more. I would rate it as a tasty good value mixer.

cowdery
04-06-2011, 14:56
Thanks for the COLA. I was having trouble finding it. The COLA was filed in December last and BT filed for the Clear Spring DBA on 3/14/11, so I guess that clears that up, except for why Beam let BT have the Clear Spring DBA.

This is also nice evidence for the next time some suit at Beam tells me they don't sell bulk whiskey.

Askabutcher
04-06-2011, 17:57
Thanks for the COLA. I was having trouble finding it.

Gotta give the finding kudos to a bbq'ing, bourbon sipping lawyer buddy of mine :lol:

I have found out/learned more about bourbon in the last two days than I have in the last 20 years! This is a great forum :cool:

craigthom
04-06-2011, 20:11
Thanks for the COLA. I was having trouble finding it. The COLA was filed in December last and BT filed for the Clear Spring DBA on 3/14/11, so I guess that clears that up, except for why Beam let BT have the Clear Spring DBA.

This is also nice evidence for the next time some suit at Beam tells me they don't sell bulk whiskey.

Wouldn't this be more of a private label bottling than a bulk sale? Based on what I've read this is all Beam, from still to bottle. It doesn't say "Beam" on it, but neither does Old Grand-Dad.

cowdery
04-08-2011, 10:31
A bulk sale that you bottle for the customer is a private label. What Beam and others claim when they say they don't do bulk sales is that all of their whiskey goes to 'their' brands, which would include OGD but not Costco. It's as I always say, no one does bulk sales except when they do.

StraightNoChaser
04-08-2011, 10:35
I haven't seen a bourbon. They have a fantastic scotch whisky they put out each year. It is a Macallan 18yr. Only difference is it is aged 15 yrs in Oak and three additional years in Sherry butts. The Macallan 18 yr is aged for 18 yrs in Sherry.

The Macallan 18 yr - $150.00

The Kirkland Macallan 18 yr - $59.99
That's quite interesting. I wish there were more Costcos that sold liquor here

Brbnlvr
04-11-2011, 13:40
I picked one up yesterday and I'll agree with the tasting notes stated earlier. It is spicy, but allowed to slightly mellow for a minute or two with a couple cubes; it's quite good. Not a bad value at all, but I'll stick to my fav's.

proof and age
04-11-2011, 16:28

Only the brand name for the pure grain 190 proof Clear Springs product was sold to Sazerac some months back, per my understanding. The Clear Springs name goes back to what is now Beam via the Beam and Hart Distillery siite in the vicinity of Nazareth, which is now owned by Heaven Hill. I am not sure how JB held onto that DBA, but it is still used by them in reference to their Clermont operations.

Chuckles
06-13-2011, 09:18
So I was at Costco yesterday, and there was an end display loaded with Kirkland Premium Small Batch, Straight Kentucky Bourbon, 7-y-o, 103 proof. I had not previously been aware of Kirkland bourbon (hadn't yet seen this thread), but have found other Kirkland-brand products to be of good quality. (Kirkland cashews and mixed nuts are excellent values, for example.) The clerk watching me study the bottle told me he'd been told by bourbon drinkers that it was excellent, and that it was made by Woodford. I told him I saw a lot of Beamishness: Clear Springs & Clermont/Frankfort on the label, a KC look to the bottle. Went to compare it to the WR and KC that Costco stocked this day (along with Marker's Mark and Maker's 46); clearly the Kirkland product is designed to appeal to both WR and KC customers. I bought a bottle.

I mostly agree with what few tasting notes there are on this long thread. I found my bottle to be quite good. Color a little lighter than KC, perhaps a bit more brown/less gold--at least in Costco light. Nose was agreeable, but mild--maybe subtle is a better word choice. Good legs and a full mouth. I'm partial to wheaters, but this had a nice, spicy rye flavor--with a bit of a bite--that I enjoyed. Finish was pleasant and lingered.

It's not as complex or sophisticated as a Beam small batch bourbon, but I think it's quite a bit better than the JBW and JBB of my most recent memories. If other batches match what's in my bottle, I'd say it's an excellent value at $20 a liter.