PDA

View Full Version : Intro from Georgia

BluesDaddy
08-28-2010, 08:55
Just thought I'd drop a line and introduce myself. Just found this site yesterday. I've never been much of a whiskey man, more into good (i.e. craft and imported) beer, but I've had a love of JD and GJ for many years. I've never been able to stomach the taste of scotch, but have wanted to get into bourbon for a while. Did some cheap stuff - Early Times (which I liked) and Jim Beam White (which I did not particularly care for - at least not neat). Thanks to this site I stopped by the package store and picked up a fifth of Very Old Barton (seems best for mixed drinks) and Elijah Craig 12 (which is quite platable neat). Looking forward to learning more.

Dramiel McHinson
08-28-2010, 12:56
Welcome BluesDaddy! Here you will find a true social experience of everything bourbon and much more. Pull up a chair and pour your own favorite drink and let us know what's on your mind these days.

TBC
08-28-2010, 16:13
Welcome aboard! It's a rare day when I come here and don't learn something new.

ratcheer
08-28-2010, 17:10
Welcome to StraightBourbon.com, BluesDaddy!

Tim

Bourbon Boiler
08-28-2010, 20:20
Welcome aboard. I have been posting for a few months now, and love this board as a resource to learn more about bourbon. There are lots of experienced folks around here, but not a lot of snobs that only relate price to quality. I would advise taking advantage of the chat feature as well.

sailor22
08-29-2010, 08:08
Welcome aboard Blues Daddy - always good to have another inmate from the South East on the board. Keep posting your thoughts on what your sipping, we all learn from each other.

tsangster
08-29-2010, 16:26
Welcome. Buffalo Trace recently became available in GA. May want to add it to your list of things to try.

BigRich
08-30-2010, 08:12
Welcome. Buffalo Trace recently became available in GA. May want to add it to your list of things to try.

I'll second that and also add a welcome to another Georgia resident.

BluesDaddy
08-30-2010, 09:47
Welcome. Buffalo Trace recently became available in GA. May want to add it to your list of things to try.Thanks, I did see some in the package store the last time I was there.

Thanks for the welcome from everyone. They say continual learning is one way to stave off dementia in one's old age, so I hope to learn a lot here! :lol:

fishnbowljoe
08-30-2010, 15:33
Welcome to SB BluesDaddy! I have a few more recommendations for you. EW black label, WT 101, and Weller SR, are lower, lower/mid shelf bottlings that are also very good value pours. Good bourbon at good prices. What more can you ask for? :grin: Cheers! Joe

unclebunk
08-30-2010, 15:56
Hey friend, welcome to SB. Always good to have a new member on board, but I'm curious about the BluesDaddy handle. Post often and ask lots of questions--you'll learn a lot, make some new friends and have tons of fun.

P.S.--Give that Very Old Barton a few more spins. I think you'll find it to be more than a mixer. Lots of us here are big on it, despite the low price tag. It's quality juice and one of the best bangs for your buck on the bourbon shelf.

p_elliott
08-31-2010, 08:57
Welcome aboard! everything I normally say to new members has already been said by some one else. It's a great site if your serious about getting into bourbon you've came to the right place. Tons of info, great people, great chat, great get togethers. Jump in the water's fine.

BluesDaddy
08-31-2010, 12:32
Hey friend, welcome to SB. Always good to have a new member on board, but I'm curious about the BluesDaddy handle. Post often and ask lots of questions--you'll learn a lot, make some new friends and have tons of fun.

P.S.--Give that Very Old Barton a few more spins. I think you'll find it to be more than a mixer. Lots of us here are big on it, despite the low price tag. It's quality juice and one of the best bangs for your buck on the bourbon shelf.Well, the BluesDaddy thing has its roots many years ago when my girls were small I was reviewing blues releases for an online web site. Daddy was always listening to the blues so I became "bluesdaddy" - it is now a handle that I use on any forum I'm on.

I also gave that VOB another try and find it far more palatable than the first time around, so I won't give up on it yet.

Thanks again, y'all!!

Josh
08-31-2010, 13:24
Well, the BluesDaddy thing has its roots many years ago when my girls were small I was reviewing blues releases for an online web site. Daddy was always listening to the blues so I became "bluesdaddy" - it is now a handle that I use on any forum I'm on.

I also gave that VOB another try and find it far more palatable than the first time around, so I won't give up on it yet.

Thanks again, y'all!!

btw, what proof is that VOB you have?

BluesDaddy
08-31-2010, 15:11
btw, what proof is that VOB you have?It is the 6 year old, 90 proof.

Josh
08-31-2010, 20:07
It is the 6 year old, 90 proof.

I dig the 90 a lot but if you can find the 100 proof Bottled-in-Bond, give that a whirl.

And welcome. :)

spy247
09-01-2010, 06:51
Welcome BluesDaddy. You're now on the road to discovery. There is so much bourbon and so little time to drink it :)