PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the sandbox

MissinER101
09-17-2010, 22:13
As my user name says I'm missin' Eagle Rare 101 :smil41df29a15fb35: ER101 use to be as much a staple in my place as milk in the home of a growing family, I'd buy 3-4 bottles at a time to make sure it was always on hand. I haven't found "my" bourbon since, the current incarnation Eagle Rare ain't bad; but it is no "101" but Buffalo Trace continues to be my favorite distillery.

I am currently working under a civilian contract as a communications technician in Ramadi Iraq, currently in month 15 of an 18 month contract. So, due to "General Order #1" (no booze) I'll not be able to contribute to current discussions of bourbon but I think I remember what it tastes like, and I'm interested in learning about the state of current offerings for when I get home.

sgtgto
09-19-2010, 00:08
Welcome.

Forced temperance is always hard. Almost as bad as forced abstinence. But distance makes the heart grow stronger.. and when you get back.. the first sips of ER101 will be the sweetest you will ever know.

Stay safe and we look forward to your postings.

ggilbertva
09-19-2010, 06:59
Well, that kind of sucks. I was in Iraq back in '03 and we had our own bar stocked with imported Beer and Qusay Hussein's private stash that was confiscated (that we of course un-confiscated). After 14-16 hour days, a nite cap was our bedtime "glass of milk".

3 more months.....ER awaits you.

unclebunk
09-21-2010, 18:10
I'm a huge fan of ER10/101 too but rarely come across it these days. You'll be home before long and that ER will really hit the spot. Be safe and best wishes to you and your family. Welcome to the SB family as well!

MissinER101
09-22-2010, 21:53
unclebunk-

On a visit to BT distillery the guy working the tasting room was the president/ceo and when I asked why there was no more ER10/101 he said (paraphrased)"It took too much of the best bourbon and wasn't economically sound to keep making it in the boutique market of today".

I have been reading about the "Dust Divers" and intend to try a bit of it myself when I get home. I wish I had every bottle I drained in years gone by I'd be set for many years to come.

cigarnv
09-26-2010, 07:13
Another classic that is becoming very tough to find....

fishnbowljoe
09-27-2010, 16:42
Welcome ER101. Glad to have you aboard. We have a few others who have served our country in the middle east in one capacity or another. Two that come to mind are Jake, (sgtgto) and Jason (GOCOUGS2002). Watch your back and be careful the next three months. Come back home safe and sound so you can enjoy some good stuff. :grin: Thanks for your service.

Where do you call home back here in the world? Here's a picture you might like. It's not isn't meant to brag or flaunt anything. Just wanted to let you know I like ER 101 a lot too. :yum: Cheers! Joe

MissinER101
10-03-2010, 19:13
OK Joe.....it's official; I hate you :grin:

Home is currently in the country just west of Columbia MO, mailing address is Rocheport, historic French town on the Missouri River.

GOCOUGS2002
10-03-2010, 20:06
Welcome ER101; hopefully Ramadi is a better place than I remeber in '05. I am sure the heat is getting a little more bearable now that you are heading into the fall/winter months. Bourbon tasted better each time I get back...maybe it's the 12 -15 month layoff?

MissinER101
10-03-2010, 22:33
GOCOUGS-

Well don't know if it could be any worse, sure isn't any better, it has shrunk, they gave a chunk of the NE side back to the Iraqis. With US troops not "activly" patrolling any more things are heating up, the NW berm was hit twice last week, love the sound of "Maw Duce" in the night.

Bourbon-I should have 3 bottles of GTS waiting when I get home in DEC, can't wait to crack ne open; now if I can just figure a way to get some of the Cuban Cohibas home.

p_elliott
10-04-2010, 08:47
OK Joe.....it's official; I hate you :grin:

Home is currently in the country just west of Columbia MO, mailing address is Rocheport, historic French town on the Missouri River.

I went to the MIlitary school that was not that far from there in Booneville in the 70"s. I'm going to catch a bunch of crap over that piece of information.

GOCOUGS2002
10-05-2010, 21:42
GOCOUGS- now if I can just figure a way to get some of the Cuban Cohibas home.

Slide the label off the cigar, mail it home; place the cigars in a ziplock bag in your carry on...reunite label and cigar when you get home.

It has worked both times coming back from Iraq and once from Haiti.