PDA

View Full Version : Ancient Ancient Age 8 Year Old

edo
09-21-2010, 06:31
Ancient Ancient Age 8 year old is now being exported to Japan. I just bought a bottle and my wife and I have just done a taste comparison with AAA 10 star (6 y.o., I think.) The color of the two is identical. The nose is similar, but you get more vanilla/honey with the 8 y.o. and less of that whiff of raw alcohol (which I don't dislike anyway). The 8 is bottled at 86 proof (v.s. 90 for the 10*). I'm guessing the extra water cut back the color that the 2 extra years in the barrel added. The taste of each backs up what the nose promises. Yep, it's good solid bourbon.

AAA 10* has always gotten respect in this house, but personally, I give the edge to 8 y.o. The wife goes the other way, with a slight preference for the younger juice. But really, we can't find that much difference either way.

[End of reconnaissance report. Over and out.]

unclebunk
09-21-2010, 06:50
Ancient Ancient Age 8 year old is now being exported to Japan. I just bought a bottle and my wife and I have just done a taste comparison with AAA 10 star (6 y.o., I think.) The color of the two is identical. The nose is similar, but you get more vanilla/honey with the 8 y.o. and less of that whiff of raw alcohol (which I don't dislike anyway). The 8 is bottled at 86 proof (v.s. 90 for the 10*). I'm guessing the extra water cut back the color that the 2 extra years in the barrel added. The taste of each backs up what the nose promises. Yep, it's good solid bourbon.

AAA 10* has always gotten respect in this house, but personally, I give the edge to 8 y.o. The wife goes the other way, with a slight preference for the younger juice. But really, we can't find that much difference either way.

[End of reconnaissance report. Over and out.]

It's a funny thing about availability when it comes to certain products. Around here (Chicagoland), Ancient Age is widely available but AAA 10 Star and AAA 10 Year Old are rarely seen, though Binny's used to have the latter in stock until very recently. And Ancient Age BIB was non-existent in these parts, but I managed to find a few bottles up in Wisconsin last year which made the journey home. It seems that most SB'ers favor the 10YO over the 10 Star, but I personally prefer the BIB to both. It is slightly less astringent and fuller of body, so it gets the nod in my book. It's sure nice that AA is turning up where you are though.

edo
09-21-2010, 07:09
It's a funny thing about availability when it comes to certain products. Around here (Chicagoland), Ancient Age is widely available but AAA 10 Star and AAA 10 Year Old are rarely seen, though Binny's used to have the latter in stock until very recently. And Ancient Age BIB was non-existent in these parts, but I managed to find a few bottles up in Wisconsin last year which made the journey home. It seems that most SB'ers favor the 10YO over the 10 Star, but I personally prefer the BIB to both. It is slightly less astringent and fuller of body, so it gets the nod in my book. It's sure nice that AA is turning up where you are though.

Yeah, I was quite happy to find the 8 y.o. expression for sale. I think it may be a special export to Japan. Unlike the 10 star, it has a back label written completely in Japanese. Also the word whiskey appears in Japanese on the front label. Although I prefer the 8 y.o. a bit, I've got 50ml of disappointment with it as it's sold in a 700 ml bottle. The 10 star is/was 750. (Blanton's also seems to be dropping the size of their bottles sold here to 700. On the other hand, I can buy liters of Buffalo Trace right now.)

AAA 10 year old is not sold here (as far as I can tell.)

fishnbowljoe
09-21-2010, 15:44
And Ancient Age BIB was non-existent in these parts, but I managed to find a few bottles up in Wisconsin last year which made the journey home. It seems that most SB'ers favor the 10YO over the 10 Star, but I personally prefer the BIB to both. It is slightly less astringent and fuller of body, so it gets the nod in my book.

I agree with Hank. I also prefer the AA BIB. I received a bottle in trade a while back, and have been on the lookout for some every since. For once luck has been on my side. I've been able to pick up a few bottles in the last couple of weeks. Now, if I could only find some EW BIB. :rolleyes: Joe

cas
07-24-2011, 08:14
What's the current story with the 10 year? I picked up a bottle at Binnys yesterday. Is it still in limited production?
Craig

Josh
07-24-2011, 08:26
What's the current story with the 10 year? I picked up a bottle at Binnys yesterday. Is it still in limited production?
Craig

I believe so. Probably to keep ETL supplied.

ebo
07-24-2011, 08:32
I've never seen the 10 yo on the shelf here, in Ohio. I can get the 10 star, as well as the regular AA.

callmeox
07-24-2011, 08:47
I've never seen the 10 yo on the shelf here, in Ohio. I can get the 10 star, as well as the regular AA.

The 10 yo has not been on the Ohio list as long as I have been monitoring it. It is a niche market product only, I believe.

jburlowski
07-24-2011, 10:15
It's plentiful here in No. KY.

Enoch
07-24-2011, 11:55
Do they still make AA BIB? The only I've seen are dusties with the old label.

cowdery
07-24-2011, 15:06
Age is one of those brands that is very distributor-dependent in terms of what's available in a given market. I'm told by BT that 10 Star is six years old and is in something like 22 states, while the 10-year-old is only available in Kentucky and Chicago. Also, while BT/Sazerac is very involved with the brand, and makes it obviously, they don't own or ultimately control it. The company Age International still exists and controls Age, Blantons, ETL, Rock Hill, etc. Most of the single barrels, though not Eagle Rare. I don't really know who Age International is, but they have their own offices in downtown Frankfort. Since most of the people I've met who are part of Age are Japanese, I suspect it is a subsidiary of Takara Shuzo, a Japanese company.

Because Sazerac is a private company they are able to keep a lot of things about their business quiet and choose to do so. President Mark Brown is very good about it, though, in that he doesn't dodge questions, he just politely declines to answer them.

ThomasH
07-24-2011, 20:02
I have the AAA 10yr, the 10 star (available in Ohio) as well as the BIB. The AAA and BIB are available in Ky. Party Source also has there own private barrel offering of AAA of which I also have a bottle!

Thomas

G.H.Adams
07-24-2011, 21:35
AAA 10 y/o is a favorite value pour for me and I buy it by the liter. It's not sold in New Mexico so I have to order it from Kentucky. Shipping sucks but it is what it is.

Josh
07-25-2011, 06:39
Age is one of those brands that is very distributor-dependent in terms of what's available in a given market. I'm told by BT that 10 Star is six years old and is in something like 22 states, while the 10-year-old is only available in Kentucky and Chicago. Also, while BT/Sazerac is very involved with the brand, and makes it obviously, they don't own or ultimately control it. The company Age International still exists and controls Age, Blantons, ETL, Rock Hill, etc. Most of the single barrels, though not Eagle Rare. I don't really know who Age International is, but they have their own offices in downtown Frankfort. Since most of the people I've met who are part of Age are Japanese, I suspect it is a subsidiary of Takara Shuzo, a Japanese company.

Because Sazerac is a private company they are able to keep a lot of things about their business quiet and choose to do so. President Mark Brown is very good about it, though, in that he doesn't dodge questions, he just politely declines to answer them.

From the Age International thread, I was under the impression that only Ancient Age and Blanton's are owned by Age International and the rest of the Brands produced at BT, including Hancock, RHF and ETL are owned by Sazerac.

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13919

T Comp
07-25-2011, 07:17
From the Age International thread, I was under the impression that only Ancient Age and Blanton's are owned by Age International and the rest of the Brands produced at BT, including Hancock, RHF and ETL are owned by Sazerac.

Josh, I thought the same but a search of the United States Patent and Trademark Office http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp for ETL shows an assignment from owner Age Interational Inc. to R. H. Farms, a Delaware Corporation., on January 19, 1993. I cannot find any information on R.H Farms Inc. of relevance on the Delaware corportion site.

A search of Rock Hill Farms shows the same assignment at a different time and the assigned owner R.H Farms Inc. as a New York corporation.

Got to get to work and didn't do Hancock.

Josh
07-25-2011, 08:08
Josh, I thought the same but a search of the United States Patent and Trademark Office http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/index.jsp for ETL shows an assignment from owner Age Interational Inc. to R. H. Farms, a Delaware Corporation., on January 19, 1993. I cannot find any information on R.H Farms Inc. of relevance on the Delaware corportion site.

A search of Rock Hill Farms shows the same assignment at a different time and the assigned owner R.H Farms Inc. as a New York corporation.

Got to get to work and didn't do Hancock.

Interesting. Thanks Thad!

clingman71
07-25-2011, 09:11
So is Ancient Age, and their assorted brands contract distilled at BT? Sort of like the VW arrangement? And could this have something to do with the renaming of the distillery, and BT being their flagship bourbon? When did Sazerac buy the distillery? Does this difference in who owns what coincide with the two different mashbills?

Just curious, I like bourbons from both mashbills. I also like 1792 which also happens to be Sazerac, coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

rocky480
07-25-2011, 15:25
I also like 1792 which also happens to be Sazerac, coincidence? Maybe, maybe not.

1792 is Sazerac now, but most recently, until early 2009, was a product of Barton Brands which was under of Constellation Brands before they decided to focus more on their wine business.

cowdery
07-25-2011, 20:44
Because of a project I'm working on, I had occasion recently to confirm directly with Buffalo Trace that Ancient Age, Blanton's, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock's President's Reserve, and Elmer T Lee are all owned by Age International. Buffalo Trace makes them. As far as I know, and I know know much, it's not unlike the Van Winkle arrangement, a joint venture.

I also believe, but don't know for sure, that Age International is the U.S. arm of Takara Shuzo, long Sazerac's Japanese partner. I also know that it's Age, not Sazerac, that decides about pricing, line extensions, etc., with regard to the five brands it owns.

At the KBF Sampler in April, Blanton's (i.e., Age International) had its own table, separate from BT's.

camduncan
07-25-2011, 21:28
That explains a lot Chuck, and is being replicated in the Aussie market. Southtrade International started bringing Buffalo Trace product lines into Australia late last year, but Blantons (Reserve Green label) has been around a couple of years and is distributed in a completely seperate deal.

kc outdoorsman
07-26-2011, 07:39
yeah it sucks that gusy can get it in Japan and Australia but nothign but regular AA is available in Kansas or Missouri!!! I have even tried calling the distributors and begging... can't get Barton either

cas
07-26-2011, 07:52
I've had a glass or 2 since I picked it up this weekend and it's very good. For the price a very good buy. I'm passing back through the area this evening (been at freshman orientation with my daughter at UW, Madison) and may try to snag another bottle.
Craig

Enoch
07-26-2011, 09:14
Is AA BIB still produced? Greatbourbon.com does not list it. If not, what was its age when it was produced?

tmckenzie
07-27-2011, 04:20
I do not know about the bib, but the 90 I had down there last year was excellent stuff.

fishnbowljoe
07-27-2011, 15:59
Is AA BIB still produced? Greatbourbon.com does not list it. If not, what was its age when it was produced?

As of last year, AA BIB is no longer being produced. You can still find it on the shelves in some places though. Joe