PDA

View Full Version : A noob's first dusty?

b33k4y
09-28-2010, 20:42
Hi all,

Been reading and learning a lot from this forum, in conjunction with Bourbon Enthusiast forums, Chuck Cowdery's blog, as well as Bourbon Dork's blog. Fantastic community here!

As a noob, I went on my first dusty mission today and think I found something special? Liter of Old Fitz 80 proof. I don't really know, I just trusted my gut because it looked old and I had never seen a bottle of it in a store before. I'm just learning to identify bourbons by the markings on the actual bottle, and I think this one is from 1985, but I really don't know for sure. Some input would be appreciated!

It sure is tasty, though.

EDIT - probably should have mentioned the bottle has a gov. warning about alcohol slapped on the back. Pre-1989?

Thanks,
Ben

Joshua
09-28-2010, 21:17
Early 80s I believe! It's big bib brother is a better pour, but I think the Prime is pretty great on it's own right. Try mixing it 1-1 with WLW 08 or 09. Or even 1-1 with Weller Antique. I think that adding a higher proof wheater to it can work really well.

Someone in the chat told me that, and for the life of me I can't remember who that genius was.

tommyboy38
09-28-2010, 21:49
The gov't warning usually means it's post 89. I have a variety of dusty Old Fitz Prime....maybe I can see what year they first used it.

sgtgto
09-29-2010, 00:09
The gov't warning usually means it's post 89. I have a variety of dusty Old Fitz Prime....maybe I can see what year they first used it.

But the non-TE cap is a dead giveaway for mid-early 80s. I am curious to know what the bottom of the bottle says.

Either way, great find, and a wonderful first find. It is DSP-16 juice for sure.

Special Reserve
09-29-2010, 03:40
Welcome to SB.

Nice find and first post. Does it have a UPC code? If it does what is it?

Will

b33k4y
09-29-2010, 05:31
Here are two more pics of the back and bottom. Sorry, hard to get a good clear shot of the bottom.

Also, probably should have had more of an introduction. I first got hooked on bourbon towards the end of college after dabbling in various scotches, irish whiskeys, and bourbons. I think what really got me hooked was a bottle of Old Grand-Dad BIB and Old Forester.

Now I've amassed a decent starter stash following a lot of the advice on the forums.

Evan Williams Black
Rittenhouse Rye BIB
WT 101
WT RB
Old Crow Reserve
OGD BIB
JB White
JB Black
JD No. 7
Maker's Mark
Woodford Reserve
Buffalo Trace
Weller 7
And then this new (old) bottle of Old Fitz.

Looking to add something with a bit more age, maybe EC12. So far I really like ryes, but wheaters have their time and place too. I'm a fan of Wild Turkey and Heaven Hill products thus far. Unfortunately I haven't been able to locate any Four Roses around Westchester, NY. Maybe I'll have more luck dropping by the city.

p_elliott
09-29-2010, 08:31
Welcome aboard Ben, nice find. Looks like you've been on the site for a while and probably know your way around. Come join us in chat we don't bite. You have a nice little stash growing there keep up the good work.

Josh
09-29-2010, 09:17
Great find and great stash Ben, you're off to a great start! Even the lower-shelf offerings of S-W are some good sippin' as you well know.

Special Reserve
09-29-2010, 16:34
UPC = 88508 = Stitzel-Weller A solid find that should make you happy. What a way to start dusty hunting.

chilidawg7
09-29-2010, 19:16
Ben -

That's quite a find for your first dusty. I've searched most every store in a tri-county area around my hometown and haven't found any yet, but I am always on the lookout and always enjoy seeing what everyone else finds.

gblick
10-02-2010, 22:08
That govt warning on the back was clearly added on later, so it appears to be a pre-govt warning bottling. I've got some of those and they are pretty tasty.