PDA

View Full Version : What to get at Binny's?

DanG
09-29-2010, 04:02
I've been here for a little while, popping in and out, but I suppose this is a newbie type of question so I'll post here. I hope that's okay!

I live in Germany but my baby brother lives in Chicago. I read a thread a bit back about how stocks of Weller 12 were running low and that's it's a great bourbon (I haven't tried Weller before). So I asked him to get a few bottles that I could maybe pick up when I visit him. He said ok, and proceeded to forget all about it. Until about a week or two ago when he asked "what were those bourbons you wanted? and which Binny's?" When he went to check, they were on back-order already.

So the question is, what do I ask him to pick up for me? Any suggestions? I like many different kinds of bourbon -- I enjoy the smoothness of Blanton, though if I need more of a kick I'll drink a Booker's. But the key is that I like trying new things, and even a bottle of bourbon I don't particularly like is never something I consider wasted money. So "interesting" suggestions under $40 are certainly welcome. :-) Well, maybe around $50 if it's really that good.

Bourbon Boiler
09-29-2010, 17:10
I've been here for a little while, popping in and out, but I suppose this is a newbie type of question so I'll post here. I hope that's okay!

I live in Germany but my baby brother lives in Chicago. I read a thread a bit back about how stocks of Weller 12 were running low and that's it's a great bourbon (I haven't tried Weller before). So I asked him to get a few bottles that I could maybe pick up when I visit him. He said ok, and proceeded to forget all about it. Until about a week or two ago when he asked "what were those bourbons you wanted? and which Binny's?" When he went to check, they were on back-order already.

So the question is, what do I ask him to pick up for me? Any suggestions? I like many different kinds of bourbon -- I enjoy the smoothness of Blanton, though if I need more of a kick I'll drink a Booker's. But the key is that I like trying new things, and even a bottle of bourbon I don't particularly like is never something I consider wasted money. So "interesting" suggestions under $40 are certainly welcome. :-) Well, maybe around $50 if it's really that good.

I think to give you a recomendation, we'd have to know what is available in your part of the world. I think the Binny's website tells you pretty much what is available, so you might play around there and start by eliminating what you have, what is out of your price target, and what you don't think you'd like.

Sorry I couldn't help more, but enjoy your visit with your brother and happy hunting!

DanG
09-30-2010, 05:06
Thanks Boiler! There are quite a few things available here, but everything is priced much higher than in the States. I was really just looking for tips on what fairly unavailable things at Binny's one might especially recommend, just tips really.

As for what I have and have had, here's what I've got right now for bourbon:

Booker's
Baker's
John J. Bowman
Four Roses Yellow (I can buy that here fairly cheap)
A couple empty Blanton's SB bottles

Back in MA (where I'm from) I've got a bottle of Pappy and can get more, a bottle of 1960 Old Forrester (inherited from a great uncle). I've had Russell's Reserve which didn't much impress me... and 80 and 101-proof WT.

PaulO
10-01-2010, 14:30
Here are a couple to try if you have not so far; Weller Antique 107, Old Forester Signature 100, Old Grandad 114 proof. Sometimes you can get special single barrel purchase items (with a sticker) from Binney's too.

DanG
10-06-2010, 19:15
Thanks for the tips, Paul!

tommyboy38
10-06-2010, 19:44
Simple...get one of each bourbon they have at Binny's.

MaltMartyr
12-12-2010, 14:15
It depends upon how much you are willing to spend for bourbon. As your taste buds become experienced, you may have different preferences until you stabilize. I have always found Eagle Rare 17 year old to be mellow enough, but it will cost about $69 and does not appear online, so you may have to phone first. The Jefferson Presidential Select will cost $89.99.

I think that Mark Gillespie, among others like John Hansell praised the bottles with high scores in each commentator's ratings. I have two bottles in my collection.

However, if you are looking for the right bottle, then it is always best to find a way to taste it before you buy. That way, you are more likely to appreciate it and not feel like you have spent too little or too much.

The U.S. is gaining more variety on the Rye Whisky front, among other expressions. When you have a chance, you should try Stranahans from Colorado. Also, Sazarac 18 or its younger cousins. Of course, this site can give you ideas, as well.

DanG
12-13-2010, 07:16
Thanks for the suggestions! Turned out, though, that my brother flew United and so he couldn't check luggage for free, so he didn't even bring my bottle of Weller 12. So I suppose it's good I didn't send him on another shopping spree. :)

I like Saz and I love rye in general -- I'll have to look for Stranahans next time I'm in the States!

keng
12-20-2010, 20:08
Hey DanG, where are you in Germany and are you German, military, or something else? Just curious since you have a younger brother in the US.

DanG
12-21-2010, 00:24
Hey Ken, I'm an American civilian working for a multinational. Current plan is to join the military next year, though. But maybe they'll send me back since I speak the local language. ;)