PDA

View Full Version : What Beer Are You Drinking Fall 2010

HipFlask
10-02-2010, 06:48
Well for most of us summer is slipping in to fall. The leaves are changing, the heat is gone, and much colder temps are a coming. We are 4 weeks into the football season already. The Octoberfest Beers are out and on sale. I did not really like the Leinenkugel's Fest beer. Beck's and Sam Adams October's are much better product. I'll have to search out more OF beers. Also I have been pouring Kapuziner Schwarz-Weizen, Lagunitas Lil Somethumin Extra, Guiness and English IPA. So what about you? What Beer fits the season?

imbibehour
10-02-2010, 07:32
I reviewed Avery's The Kaiser, an Imperial Oktoberfest Lager.

It's a great beer, good price too! Hope to check out some more Fall beers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTLUCBXlR3U

Barrel_Proof
10-02-2010, 11:43
A nice pour of Dale's Pale Ale from Oskar Blues, here. The first one I've had since I enjoyed this excellent ale with Leif in Sweden last month! I found two 12 packs in Waukesha on my way to Beloit last Thursday and packed them all the way to Seattle and then to NYC!

Gillman
10-03-2010, 08:20
Hey Cliff, Dale's Pale Ale is on draft at Gingerman in New York. Recently passed through the city on a trip to western Jersey for a wedding. Gingerman is as good as ever but I was impressed also with the Pony, which gets a younger crowd and is out on 10th Avenue and 45th Street. Empire Brewery was being featured from Syracuse (it was craft beer week in NYC) and their Harvest Bitter on handpump dispense was excellent.

I finally found Guinness FES - not in any Irish bar - I stopped in a few and asked but no one had heard of it - but in a wholesale-retail beer outlet on Chrystie Street below Houston, which is not too far from Whole Foods and its great beer selection. I'm sure Whole Foods has it since they have everything, but I got to this other place first and took one of the three sixers of Guinness FES. The owner had some draft taps going for samples and I tried some Russian stout, from a Florida micro (Cigar something ... can't recall full name), which was amazingly good, and Captain Lawrence Smoked Porter from a micro in New York State north of the city somewhere, also top quality. The owner was into strong stouts and we had a good conversation, he was interested in my approach to blending.

This trip however renewed my longstanding feeling that American Pale Ale, the type where the Cascade or Chinook hop is very prominent, just isn't my style. That lavender/grassy/pine thing is just too big for me. I like a more English-style pale ale, which many craft brewers in the U.S. make (Dale's is a good example), and most porters and stouts.

I found some Fisherman's Pumpkin Stout on Chrystie Street, which is a silky black stout but informed by the typical spicing of a pumpkin ale. Those who can't find it should make their own: blend two-thirds any good stout and the rest any good pumpkin ale.

The best pumpkin ale I had was Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale at Gingerman which has a big winy taste and something like cardamon or some other exotic spice on the typical pumpkin mixture. Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale was great too with very pure flavours.

Gary

Gillman
10-03-2010, 08:50
I thought I'd check out the spec of Dale's Pale Ale and it turns out it uses 3 C-hops but also Northern Brewer for bitterness, which is an English styled hop. I guess I just like the particular house flavor it offers. I also like (always have) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, it is still one of the best. It's just one of those areas where I don't like APA in general but like some in particular.

Gary

unclebunk
10-03-2010, 10:45
We had a nice assortment of German beers for our Oktoberfest party last night: Hofbrau Original, Spaten Ur Marzen and Radeberger. Somewhere along the line, while in a well-oiled haze (fueled by the eventual addition of bourbon), we switched over to English ales and American microbrewed ales: Old Speckled Hen, Samuel Smith Imperial Stout, Wychwood's Hobgoblin Dark English Ale and Goose Island's Harvest Ale. Great beer night!

P.S.--If you're going to drink Old Speckled Hen, get the bottled version and not the can with the nitrogen widget. The bottled stuff is light years better.

spun_cookie
10-03-2010, 19:42
Trying a Mammoth IPA 395. Interesting brew. Lots of fruit and floral first and now there is almost sage or sage brush.

This is out of the high Seriras. Interesting beer. I think its a good drinker and well balanced enough for an early IPA drinker.

cigarnv
10-04-2010, 03:45
After 4 days of way too much bourbon it was a laid back evening with a few Sammy Smith Pale Ale's...... a never let you down brew....

ggilbertva
10-04-2010, 14:14
...way too much bourbon? I think so.

Drinking a Duvel. Not sure about this one as it's a little hoppy for my taste.

spun_cookie
10-04-2010, 17:10
Today was an Arrogant Bastagd and a Meantime IPA out of the UK. Both good and very diff from one another.

imbibehour
10-04-2010, 17:18
I just tried a Goose Island Bourbon casked aged Imperial Stout, it was exceptional! great stuff!

cigarnv
10-04-2010, 18:26
Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout..... working well on this damp, cool day. Big, rich, sweet...... always good...

SBOmarc
10-16-2010, 11:00
Stone Brewey Vertical Epic, 10-10-10 release. A Belgian.

I am not a big fan of this style of beer. But having had all of the other releases I did not want to miss it.

ggilbertva
10-20-2010, 18:57
Came across a couple 4 packs of 2009 Brooklyn Black Choco Stout so of course it made sense to pop one open and enjoy.

nor02lei
10-24-2010, 12:04
I had a Jeti with the soft chocolate and pica nut cake for dessert yesterday and Brooklyn black chocolate stout 2009 with the same cake today. The paring didn’t work out at all yesterday and I wasn’t as fond of the beer itself ether al row I have liked it before, but today the paring was perfect. I had my 81-year-old mother for dinner and she felt the exact same way despite hardly not being a beer drinker at all in her life.

Leif

Martian
10-25-2010, 12:57
Trying an Old Rasputin Imperial Ale. Rasputin would have loved this.
Black, rich and toasty. This stuff is darker than Guinness and needs a spoon.
Also enjoying a Paulaner Oktoberfest-Märzen. Malty, slightly sweet and some hop finish. Clean and crisp. You can drink these all night. That's what it's brewed for.

unclebunk
10-25-2010, 15:05
Chimay Blue and Chimay Red. Two killers in my book!

Gillman
10-25-2010, 15:29
Hey Joe did you try your Guinness FES?

I tried a couple of porters tonight but they ended up down the drain, as they seemed insipid. Too much porter today, and stout, lacks enough bittering hop.

I had a scotch instead, my own blend.

Gary

cowdery
10-26-2010, 09:57
Lately I've been enjoying the Michelada, not a beer but a beer cocktail.

It's a Mexican thing. I picked it up at my local soccer stadium.

There is no set recipe but I've been making mine with about 2 oz. of Clamato juice, a squeeze of lime, a splash of soy sauce, a few splashes of hot sauce, and a dash or two of celery salt, to which I add a bottle of Old Style (any lager will do).

Don't knock it till you've tried it.

PAspirit1
10-26-2010, 17:22
...way too much bourbon? I think so.

Drinking a Duvel. Not sure about this one as it's a little hoppy for my taste.

I had this one last night. It was a little too hoppy for me as well. It was almost lemony? I'll come back to it some other time.

ggilbertva
10-28-2010, 16:34
Allagash Dubel with a brisket BBQ sandwich.

callmeox
10-29-2010, 19:08
I met a couple of good friends at Great Lakes Brewing Company for a couple of beers and some dinner. On the beer side, I had a pint of their Quitness Ale and a barrel aged Blackout Stout.

The Quitness is a "dry hopped IPA with a bitter aftertaste", brewed in honor of the former Cavalier that Clevelanders love to hate. It was surprisingly balanced for a beer with that bitter billing and I probably should have had had a second

At 9.5% ABV, the barrel aged stout was overly alcoholic and the high ABV totally dominated the sweetness of the stout. It was very disappointing.

I don't think I've ever tasted a high ABV beer and found it enjoyable. It is pretty odd considering the amount of barrel strength bourbon that I've consumed and enjoyed. I think that the higher alcohol content seems to be out of context in the beers

Jono
11-01-2010, 08:18
Last night we consumed some Halloween inspired selections:

King Goblin ale.....the favorite....dark and chocolaty...6.6%.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1io0Kl017b4

Belzebuth.....13.5% ....high alcohol - both sweet and bitter.

imbibehour
11-01-2010, 12:30
Well I've had so many great beers of late, and I also got back from Portland OR some time ago... that's beer nirvana right there folks...

The weather is starting to get some chill, so I've been Imibibing some stouts mostly Imperial, and some Oatmeal ones... great beer for the winter time for sure which feels like it's right around the corner....

These are all good

Chocolate Oak Aged Yeti
Dogfish Head Bitches Brew
Founders Breakfast StoutAnd this is off the hook

Goose Island Bourbon County stout

unclebunk
11-01-2010, 13:33
And it's nice to have some good ol' Beamish and Murphy's Stout which, along with Guinness and Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout, will be in regular rotation around here this fall/winter.

PAspirit1
11-06-2010, 15:56
I'm finally having Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout. It seems like a very mellow, creamy porter. It's just delicious. It seems like the porter bitterness is very muted. Is it a porter?

I also enjoyed a six pack of Budweiser American Ale this last week or so. It's a very good value.

nor02lei
11-07-2010, 01:29
I had Bigfoot and Jeti last night. Both fit the cold whether good I think.

Leif

PAspirit1
11-07-2010, 06:07
I'm finally having Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout. It seems like a very mellow, creamy porter. It's just delicious. It seems like the porter bitterness is very muted. Is it a porter?

I also enjoyed a six pack of Budweiser American Ale this last week or so. It's a very good value.

It's a stout, not a porter.

Halifax
11-07-2010, 13:53
Sippin' on some Hell's Belle for local brewery here called Big Boss.

smokinjoe
11-13-2010, 18:25
Enjoying a Sam Adams Winter Lager from the Sam Adams "Winter Classics" mixed case that I picked up at Costco. I want to give a big shout-out to SA for dumping the Cranberry Lambic from this collection, and replacing it with their Chocolate Bock. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I just can't stand the Cranberry Lambic, and I've really liked the Chocolate Bock that I've had. I'll hang on to the Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwigs Ale until Christmas. Love the labels. The beer's pretty good, too. I think I'll go to the White Ale next, while listening to LSU on the radio...

Odiedog52
11-16-2010, 13:08
Last night was Firestone Walker 14 .. delicious. Followed by some Balvenie 15 year old single barrel.

Gillman
11-16-2010, 15:47
Belhaven Stout, 7% ABV, a new import to Ontario but available in parts of the States for a while. Big sweetish roasted-flavour stout, a relic of the 1800's. It's interesting to compare it to Guinness FES. I'd say the Belhaven is similar but intended to have a "fresh" (unaged) quality; the FES is intended on the other hand to deliver the palate a stout shipped to far parts would have acquired in the 1800's (when pasteurisation and refrigeration were unknown).

Gary

smokinjoe
11-18-2010, 14:15
Just finished my run on a coolish day, and am thoroughly enjoying my reward. Innis & Gunn Rum Cask. Beautiful dark gold reddish color. Like a jewel. A touch sweet, but enough spiciness to offset. Creamy and nice. Really, really good.

imbibehour
11-18-2010, 21:16
Just finished some Winter Warmers

21st Amendment - Fireside Chat
Full Sail - Wassail

ggilbertva
11-20-2010, 13:09
Nice weather for a late fall day so enjoying an Avery Old Jubilation Ale while sitting outside.

smokinjoe
11-20-2010, 17:35
Just returned from the local cigar store's yearly Customer Appreciation event, and I'm smoked out. So, this Terrapin "Moo-Hoo" Chocolate Milk Stout is cooling the pipes quite nicely. This beer is a dessert. Terrapin continues to put out very good beers.

BTW, picked up several singles, and a box of CAO La Traviata Maduro Radiantes. Won a hat and t-shirt in the raffle. Another tee that won't fit in an overly stuffed t-shirt drawer, should make mrssmokinjoe very happy....:o

barturtle
11-20-2010, 17:59
Last night was Dark Lord 2010!!!

Gillman
11-20-2010, 19:16
Had a few beers recently at Church Key in D.C. Very good beer bar, probably the best I've ever been to. Grapefruity double IPAs in a flight with weird Belgian and German specialties. Only in America.

Gary

PAspirit1
11-21-2010, 06:34
It seems that I am on a major stout kick right now so I tried last night Lancaster Milk Stout. I enjoyed it very much. I also had Brooklyns Black Chocolate Stout recently and it was excellent. Today I am going to revisit Smiths Oatmeal and see if I love it as much as I did last time.

unclebunk
11-21-2010, 08:26
Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout last night. Great stuff but strong as hell at 9% alcohol. I'm definitely feeling it today, though I'm sure the Teacher's Highland Cream didn't help.

smokinjoe
11-21-2010, 13:53
Sitting back on a gorgeous Fall day, listening to the Falcons, with a Guinness FES. I continue to really enjoy this beer. Many thanks to Gary for pointing this one out, here. I don't know if I have ever had a beer with a chunkier head than this FES. Almost, meringue-like. Same color, too. Delicious!

TNbourbon
11-21-2010, 15:19
I picked up a 12-pack of bottled Sam Adams seasonals, and I must say I'm enjoying all of them (haven't tried the chocolate bock yet -- I loves me some chocolate, but not sure I want it in beer:skep:), including the white ale, of which I was hesitant since I'm not generally keen of the Euro view on spices in beer.
The holiday porter, Old Fezziwig, and winter ale are all such that I will look for them solo during the rest of the winter.

PAspirit1
12-01-2010, 17:53
Stout-a-palooza continues. I've been buying six packs so I can really get to know each one. I just had a Sierra Nevada Stout. It was stronger than the others (maybe more stout is the way to say it) and the taste of hops came through. Before that was Samuel Adams Cream Stout. It was very good. Like it is with Bourbon, it is dificult to rank one stout as better than another for me and I pick up different flavors at different times. It seems like splitting hairs.

DrinkyBanjo
12-02-2010, 05:38
I picked up a 12-pack of bottled Sam Adams seasonals, and I must say I'm enjoying all of them (haven't tried the chocolate bock yet -- I loves me some chocolate, but not sure I want it in beer:skep:), including the white ale, of which I was hesitant since I'm not generally keen of the Euro view on spices in beer.
The holiday porter, Old Fezziwig, and winter ale are all such that I will look for them solo during the rest of the winter.

Unfortunately the Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig are only available in the mix pack. No solos unless a shop breaks up the 12 packs.

unclebunk
12-02-2010, 06:08

I picked up the Sam Adams holiday case which has six beers (four of each) and have slowly been working my way through them. The Winter Lager is quite nice, as was the White Ale. I had the Chocolate Bock last night and was surprised by the intensity of the chocolate flavor. I enjoyed it but it's definitely not for everyone.

imbibehour
12-02-2010, 09:15
I finished off some Fresh Hop Great Divide, and also some Great Lakes Burning River, both of these APAs

The Burning River is fantastic...

BrianBradford
12-02-2010, 09:33
I myself am a fan of the Baltika serious. Particularly the No. 6.

Grain Brain
12-02-2010, 21:59
Sammy choco bock rocks. Glad to see it in the variety pack, as opposed to it being a bi-annual release (it used to alternate annually with Utopias). Love the Fezziwig and Holiday Porter as well.

Current pour; Lagunitas 'Brown Shuggah'. Cross between a brown ale and a barleywine. Very limited, and very good. Get some.

unclebunk
12-03-2010, 07:38
Sammy choco bock rocks. Glad to see it in the variety pack, as opposed to it being a bi-annual release (it used to alternate annually with Utopias). Love the Fezziwig and Holiday Porter as well.

I'm digging all of those as well myself, especially the Holiday Porter. Also had a Moose Drool Brown Ale from Montana last night which was quite nice, though my thinking was clouded by that time after a few heavy pours of Clontarf Single Malt Irish Whiskey. But hey, it all burned clean and I feel fresh as a daisy this morning so it all must have been good!:grin:

imbibehour
12-04-2010, 12:28
Oh dear god I just had some Founders Backwoods Bastard... sweet lord this beer is fantastic...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PkefdV431ew/Swy9DRRiXdI/AAAAAAAADC0/ayIybiz3STw/s400/backwood.jpg

smokinjoe
12-04-2010, 15:35
The 2010 Sweetwater Brewery "Festive Ale" continues it's tradition of being my favorite release from this brewery. :yum:

Special Reserve
12-04-2010, 19:12
Oh dear god I just had some Founders Backwoods Bastard... sweet lord this beer is fantastic...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_PkefdV431ew/Swy9DRRiXdI/AAAAAAAADC0/ayIybiz3STw/s400/backwood.jpg

I had one this afternoon as well. I agree with our assessment.

OscarV
12-05-2010, 04:42
Founders Backwoods Bastard...

Did you buy it in the D.C. area?
Just curious, I didn't know they were distributed that far.

imbibehour
12-05-2010, 09:28
Did you buy it in the D.C. area?
Just curious, I didn't know they were distributed that far.

Right in DC proper... BOOYAH! :drink:

OscarV
12-19-2010, 06:12
Yesterday afternoon went up to Michigan Brewing in Webberville.
I enjoyed Russian Imperial Stout and Penninsula Porter.
My Bride had some Celis White that she liked so much that we got a growler to go.

ILLfarmboy
12-21-2010, 20:18
I tried another beer today. As I have stated elsewhere I'm not really a beer drinker but lately I'm trying to expand my horizons. I ate lunch at the Blue Cat Brewpub in Rock Island. I tried their Dr. Caligari's Weiss DoppleBock. It was served in a snifter type glass a little bit colder than celar temp.

{ Stats: Original Gravity: 17.2 Plato (1.069 SG), Final Gravity: 3 Plato (1.012 SG), Color: 18 ºL, IBU's:16, Aug. BU/GU: ABV: 8.5%.}

I'm still learning what all that means, but It has become a helpfully guide to avoiding what I don't want, something thin and bitter. Thin and bitter is what turned me off of beer as a kid and It's part of the reason I became a bourbon drinker.

The brew was interesting; pleasing in some respects and not so pleasing in others. But then that's the nature of most, if not all, alcoholic beverages. That is to say, most alcohol is an acquired taste, and like other acquired tastes, stinky cheeses for instance, there's something pleasing enough about them that keeps you going back until you develop a full appreciation for it.

I would never judge a whiskey without tasting it first. OK, maybe I have been guilty of doing just that a time or two. But, I'm wondering, just based on the stats what a true beer geek would think of it.

http://www.bluecatbrewpub.com/Weiss%20Dopplebock.htm (http://www.bluecatbrewpub.com/Weiss%20Dopplebock.htm)

ggilbertva
12-22-2010, 07:31
I tried another beer today. As I have stated elsewhere I'm not really a beer drinker but lately I'm trying to expand my horizons. I ate lunch at the Blue Cat Brewpub in Rock Island. I tried their Dr. Caligari's Weiss DoppleBock. It was served in a snifter type glass a little bit colder than celar temp.

{ Stats: Original Gravity: 17.2 Plato (1.069 SG), Final Gravity: 3 Plato (1.012 SG), Color: 18 ºL, IBU's:16, Aug. BU/GU: ABV: 8.5%.}

I'm still learning what all that means, but It has become a helpfully guide to avoiding what I don't want, something thin and bitter. Thin and bitter is what turned me off of beer as a kid and It's part of the reason I became a bourbon drinker.

The brew was interesting; pleasing in some respects and not so pleasing in others. But then that's the nature of most, if not all, alcoholic beverages. That is to say, most alcohol is an acquired taste, and like other acquired tastes, stinky cheeses for instance, there's something pleasing enough about them that keeps you going back until you develop a full appreciation for it.

I would never judge a whiskey without tasting it first. OK, maybe I have been guilty of doing just that a time or two. But, I'm wondering, just based on the stats what a true beer geek would think of it.

http://www.bluecatbrewpub.com/Weiss%20Dopplebock.htm (http://www.bluecatbrewpub.com/Weiss%20Dopplebock.htm)

Brad - I was the same way for many years, the hop in beer really turned me off. My palate has adjusted over time but I'm still not into beers overly hopped but look for something more balanced. Some of my favorite brews are Belgian style Ales; loads of malty goodness, chocolate, coffee, etc. Dark Ales that are aged in bourbon barrels is another one I gravitate towards, e.g. Founder's Backwoods Bastard. Tastes like a candy bar; coconut, chocolate, caramel....awesome. You may find that you like Belgian Blondes (the beer, not the gals) or German white/wheat (Weisse/Weizen) beers.

I've been hitting the craft beers a lot recently and am finding some really good stuff out there. Last night, I enjoyed a Bell's Double Cream Stout. Great malt, dark coffee and sweet creamy goodness. A nice winter nights brew.

OscarV
12-22-2010, 14:12
Hops to beer is like oak to bourbon, that's where it gets it's flavor.
I don't care for most of these micro-brews they taste like starchy yeast.
But I do like Eruropean beers that know how to use hops, for example Grolsch, Hacker-Pschorr, Czechvar, Stella Artois and the Canadian Molson Golden.
As far as American micro-brews go the best are stouts, porters and wheat.

bourbon-n00b
12-22-2010, 18:03
In the spirit of the season, I'm cracking onto some Samichlaus Bier, bottled in 2006. Wowowowowowowow... :bowdown:

Special Reserve
12-23-2010, 06:44

If I walked into the Blue Cat I'd be drinking that beer. I like high alcohol malty thick beers. Doppelbocks, Belgian Triples, Scotch Ales, Barleywines, some Imperial Stouts, Strong Ales.

I don't like bitter beers. Most IPAs are too bitter with too few other redeeming values for me.

Winter is by far the best season for beer.

unclebunk
12-23-2010, 07:18
Really enjoying Sprecher's Pipers Scotch Ale and their Winter Brew. Excellent Wisconsin beer on a cold night!

OscarV
12-23-2010, 11:07
I don't like bitter beers. Most IPAs are too bitter with too few other redeeming values for me.

Winter is by far the best season for beer.

Yep, IPA's suck. The concept was a failure from the start.
Why didn't those Limey's just make some fresh beer in India, Lord knows they had their run of the place.

And yep again, it does seem that these American "micros" do their best with Winter beers, so I say leave the Summer beers to the Euro's.

nor02lei
12-23-2010, 15:32
Hops to beer is like oak to bourbon, that's where it gets it's flavor.
I don't care for most of these micro-brews they taste like starchy yeast.
But I do like Eruropean beers that know how to use hops, for example Grolsch, Hacker-Pschorr, Czechvar, Stella Artois and the Canadian Molson Golden.
As far as American micro-brews go the best are stouts, porters and wheat.

Hm…Oscar I most say I disagree 100 % for my personal taste. I don’t even consider these big brewery beers you mansion as beer in my world. I am well aware of the fact that we like different things witch of cause is good and I can se that you don’t like micro IPA types of beer. This type was basically what got me real interested in beer. Still today USA is the leading country with a serten marginal as I see it. Everybody is closing in though. When it comes to stouts and porters I do believe the thing are a bit different. We are much better up here in this type of beer and I believe the leading Scandinavian country Denmark is pretty well up in the same level as USA, despite being a very small country with only 5-6 million people.

Leif

DeanSheen
12-23-2010, 15:53
I bought some Jolly Pumpkin - La Roja for XMAS eve dinner.

I love this beer, it's sour and funky. The only downside is it's from Ann Arbor.

La Roja – An artisan amber ale brewed in the Flanders tradition. Deep amber with earthy caramel, spice, and sour fruit notes developed through natural barrel aging. Unfiltered, unpasteurized and blended from barrels ranging in age from two to ten months.

Year round production
7.2% Alc./Vol.
750ml bottles - 12 casehttp://www.jollypumpkin.com/artisanales/beers.htm

Special Reserve
12-24-2010, 06:54
I bought some Jolly Pumpkin - La Roja for XMAS eve dinner.

I love this beer, it's sour and funky. The only downside is it's from Ann Arbor.

For the record it's really from Dexter, about 12 miles West Northwest of Ann Arbor. But if you really want they do have a bar in Ann Arbor for your enjoyment.

My daughter tells me she can get it in bars in LA.

ggilbertva
12-26-2010, 10:34
Enjoyed some awesome beers Christmas day; Noel des Geants, Three Philosophers, Southern Tier Choklat and La Chouffe. Doesn't get any better than that. :cool::cool:

smokinjoe
12-29-2010, 14:13
Ahhh. It ain't just 5 o'clock somewhere. It's 5 o'clock here. This cold Old Fezziwig's Ale is sure tasting nice. :yum:

T Comp
12-31-2010, 20:48
A delicious bottle of Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Style Ale as an interlude after some bourbon, dinner, wine and soon just a little more bourbon.

cigarnv
01-01-2011, 07:34
Enjoyed a bit of the Firestone 14th Anniv.... huge ale that drinks like a stout.. A+ on this one.

Halifax
01-01-2011, 11:20
Been drinking a fair amount of the Big Boss beers during the holidays. Bad Penny, Hells Belle and Angry Angel. Also some Shotgun Betty from another local deal... Lone Rider Beer.

squire
01-01-2011, 15:39
Thad are those the guys who came out with Alimony Ale?

Gillman
01-02-2011, 04:28
Just back from a Globus tour of central Europe which took in cities in Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary. I tasted many beers and would say the best blond lagers on draft are unrivaled in North America in terms of what is commonly available. There are lagers here as good, e.g. from Stoudt , or Sam Adams Noble Variety lager, or Steamwhistle or Creemore Keller Beer in Toronto, but you have to search them out. In the main cities in Europe you get draft beers widely available that are utmost in quality like Pilsener Urquel, Dreher, Gambrinus, Gosser, HB in Munich, etc. We do better than they in ales, an inheritance of the UK tradition.

Pilsener Urquel on draft in particular was extremely good with a full hop taste I don`t detect even in the same beer freshly imported (good as it is). I brought an Urquel canned only 3 months ago from Toronto and tasted it next to a bottled Urquel bought in Munich which was a couple of months older judging again by the 9 month dating system. (The tour group was completely bemused by this and understandably so, it`s sad the lengths the geeks will go to understand beer - and whiskey - quality). The European-sourced Urquel had an evidently stronger flavour with a burst of fresh hop notes the export lacked even though the latter was apparently fresher stock. I`m still trying to figure that one. Even Heineken in Europe seems so much better than what we get here. I guess it must be the transport factor.

Gary

T Comp
01-02-2011, 07:16
A delicious bottle of Founders Dirty Bastard Scotch Style Ale as an interlude after some bourbon, dinner, wine and soon just a little more bourbon.

Thad are those the guys who came out with Alimony Ale?

I don't think so squire. The Founders brewery is out of Grand Rapids, Michigan and Binny's started carrying some of their stuff in the beginning of the year. I didn't see an Alimony Ale under their umbrella, at least according to what's out about them on the internet. Greg also posted about a dinner featuring them here http://bourbondork.blogspot.com/2010/11/finding-founders.html

I'm generally more of a lager/pilsner type of guy but our always refreshing Chicago winters call out for the occasional ale, stout or porter and the few Founders I've had, have not disappointed.

smokinjoe
01-07-2011, 14:55
Man it's gloomy looking outside. So, Sam Adams Chocolate Bock to add some warmth and cheer. What a great addition to the Sam Adams Holiday Sampler Pack, this year. So, So, SOOO, glad they dumped the Cranberry Lambic, fand replaced it with this in the Sampler.

ILLfarmboy
01-09-2011, 17:25
I brought home a growler of their bock from Granite City food and Brewery.

Beer sure fills you up. Or maybe it was that plate of hot wings I polished off. Anyhow, I figured bringing some home of their brew would give me a better opportunity to really become acquainted with it.

I swear the last time I was at the restaurant it tasted a bit nuttier (roasted) and a bit bolder. I suppose it could be a different batch, but it's probably me.

I kinda wish they sold one liter growlers. The wife isn't home tonight to help me polish this off and I wonder how long the beer will stay good with only half to one third of its contents.

ggilbertva
01-10-2011, 07:47
Weekend beer drinking was more than normal. I attended a beer and whiskey tasting on Friday so including that night I enjoyed the following:

Firestone Walker 14 (most awesome beer on the planet)
Widmer Bros Barrel Aged Brrrbon
Rogue Nut Brown Ale
Sam Smith Nut Brown Ale
St. Bernardus ABT 12
Rodenbach Grand Cru (ok, didn't enjoy this one.....vinegar trying to pass as beer)

unclebunk
01-10-2011, 09:48
Just back from a Globus tour of central Europe which took in cities in Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary. I tasted many beers and would say the best blond lagers on draft are unrivaled in North America in terms of what is commonly available. There are lagers here as good, e.g. from Stoudt , or Sam Adams Noble Variety lager, or Steamwhistle or Creemore Keller Beer in Toronto, but you have to search them out. In the main cities in Europe you get draft beers widely available that are utmost in quality like Pilsener Urquel, Dreher, Gambrinus, Gosser, HB in Munich, etc. We do better than they in ales, an inheritance of the UK tradition.

Pilsener Urquel on draft in particular was extremely good with a full hop taste I don`t detect even in the same beer freshly imported (good as it is). I brought an Urquel canned only 3 months ago from Toronto and tasted it next to a bottled Urquel bought in Munich which was a couple of months older judging again by the 9 month dating system. (The tour group was completely bemused by this and understandably so, it`s sad the lengths the geeks will go to understand beer - and whiskey - quality). The European-sourced Urquel had an evidently stronger flavour with a burst of fresh hop notes the export lacked even though the latter was apparently fresher stock. I`m still trying to figure that one. Even Heineken in Europe seems so much better than what we get here. I guess it must be the transport factor.

Gary

Wow. I missed this post earlier but must say I'm green with envy after reading about your trip. It sounds fantastic! I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about the superior quality of European lagers, particularly those produced in the Czech Republic. In my many travels there I have been astounded time and again by the freshness, creaminess and full flavor of their beers, with a special fondness for Gambrinus and Pilsner Urquel. I've toured many breweries there (including a private tour of the Pilsner Urquel brewery back in the late nineties) and commented to my guide that their beer seemed so much better in the CR than back home in the US. His response was that the beer brewed for domestic consumption was still being aged in oak barrels while those sent abroad were aged in stainless steel to meet the demands of the export market. I don't know if this is still true but it may account, in part, for the difference.

Gillman
01-10-2011, 13:25
That's interesting about the local beer being processed in oak vats, I have understood these have been abandoned for all except a small test or control production, but who knows? I think another factor may be pasteurization. The draft and bottled Urquel in Czech Republic and Germany, where I found it at its best, may not be pasteurized, or possibly flash-pasteurized (or just one of them). The exported stuff may be exposed to full, i.e., tunnel, pasteurization, again it's hard to say. But the difference between a fresh imported can and the local equivalent was quite marked even though the latter was, if I read the codes right, a few months older.

German pils and helles often had a very marked hop flavour, almost earthy or funky-like, a taste I recognised in many Euro lagers there but not all. Some must use a different hop (e.g. Dreher, Gambrinus, Pelforth Blonde in France, and some others). Urquel sometimes had the taste and sometimes didn't! It may depend too on the time of year, age of the hops, crop differences, etc. Anyway in general they reach a high standard there - Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Hungary - that seems a birthright for them, something they've had for a long time and have perfected. You can get a bad beer there, I had some keller beer in Vienna that was slightly sour; this wasn't natural but a white vinegar-like taste. But in general the daily or "average" pils you get is very good. I did taste other styles. Dunkel, or dark Munich beer, is one, which perhaps I didn't have at its best - and wheat beer, which was similar to what we get imported in bottles from these countries. But the blonde lager on draft was the true revelation. For anyone thinking of going, the Globus 4-5 city tour of Central and East Europe is well worth doing. It's on a bus, 8 days and they take care of you at a cost that is not exorbitant. The beer part was something I added on myself using the free time we had or group occasions in restaurants and bars. A little research is required but not much really, it's easy to do.

Gary

Gillman
01-10-2011, 13:40
By the way one draft I had there a couple of times was very similar to what it tastes like here whether in bottle, can or draft, was Budweiser Budvar, called Czechvar in Canada and the U.S. It must be the way it is made, but is remarkably consistent with a distinctive winy taste. I wouldn't say it was exactly the same here but almost, very close.

Even Heineken Draft was very good there (I tasted it in Paris), with a full rich hoppy (German-type) taste. I have found fresh cans here not that different. Some breweries must process their beer in a way to ensure it tastes very similar wherever sold. Which is no bad thing, but in general I found the Euro versions of beers I've had here superior and often by a fair margin.

Gary

unclebunk
01-10-2011, 14:07
That's interesting about the local beer being processed in oak vats, I have understood these have been abandoned for all except a small test or control production, but who knows? I think another factor may be pasteurization. The draft and bottled Urquel in Czech Republic and Germany, where I found it at its best, may not be pasteurized, or possibly flash-pasteurized (or just one of them). The exported stuff may be exposed to full, i.e., tunnel, pasteurization, again it's hard to say. But the difference between a fresh imported can and the local equivalent was quite marked even though the latter was, if I read the codes right, a few months older.
Gary

I'm guessing you are right about the elimination of the oak vats at the Pilsner Urquel brewery, as my conversation with the tour guide at the brewery was held back in 1997. It would have been unthinkable to him at the time that there would ever come a day that the oak barrels would no longer be used, as much was made of the fact that the oak barrels contributed a great deal to the unique character of their beer. But modernization wins out when the demand is high, so perhaps they had no choice but to make the change.

T Comp
01-10-2011, 19:29

Gary

I brought a bottle of export Heineken with me on a trip to the Netherlands in 1991 so I could compare it against one from there. Of course, totally different animals with strong tingling hops and complete absence of the sour vegetal taste so common in the export. At that time the Belgium beers were coming on really strong in the Amsterdam bars but I actually drank more Heineken on tap because it was so damn good and different from the Heineken here. In a trip to Ireland and England in 1980 I also thought about bringing some Harp and Bass export bottles with me for comparison but first wife freaked and I guess that's why I have a second :grin: .

doubleblank
01-11-2011, 07:29
Hey Joe, I'm still trying to like that Chocolate Bock. I started with it one evening and the sweetness got me. But I bet it would be nice to finish the evening with it as a "dessert".

I always used their Cranberry Lambic to cook with. Added a little fruity sweetness to chilis or stews. I know, some are going to say "Sweetness to chili?" But go look at some of the "Championship Chili Recipes". Many add some form of sugar and citrus at the end of cooking to add depth and to brighten the flavors.

Randy

Gillman
01-11-2011, 11:15
Glad I'm not the only one out there who thinks of doing these comparisons. :)

I guess in the end beer is best closest to home. I've tried to parse it a million ways, but it seems to come back to that, with some exceptions.

Gary