PDA

View Full Version : Lighter Bourbons

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2000, 18:00
"Lighter" here meaning lighter in body, lighter flavors, lighter mouthfeel, etc.

The recent threads on Benchmark have made me think about this subject. I generally don't like lighter-styled bourbons: usually if I want to drink lighter whiskey I'll drink Canadian. But it may simply be that I haven't tried good representations of the style. The only ones that occur to me right now are Ten High (which is drinkable, if a little "hot"); the standard I.W. Harper, which I didn't like at all -- too bland; and this Benchmark, which as I've mentioned in another thread, is okay.

Have I been missing anything? Are there lighter bourbons worth sampling out there? Which ones? What do people think of the style, more generally?

doug

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2000, 18:47
Basil Hayden. I consider it brown vodka but others here really like it.
Mike Veach

cowdery
12-29-2000, 18:57
I consider Blanton's fairly "light," but in the best possible sense. Its pleasures are subtle and sophisticated.

On the "value" side, I would say Jim Beam White Label matches your criteria for "light."

--Chuck Cowdery (http://cowdery.home.netcom.com)

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2000, 18:58
Drink canadian?! *NEVER* Since you like Rebel Yell may I suggest good old run of the mill Old Fitzgerald? Be a good American and leave those imports out of the picture. For a truely "light" whiskey I myself much pefer corn liquor straight off the worm. It costs about two dollars a gallon to make, and you don't have to pay any taxes!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2000, 19:01
Mike now you know that any corn liquor distilled by any man named "Clyde" is good drinking!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2000, 19:28
Heh. Well, ah, I like Canadian whiskey. Occasionally. It ain't bourbon, but sometimes it ain't bad.

doug

**DONOTDELETE**
12-29-2000, 20:09
Try McKendrick. Oh! I'm sorry! I thought you said "lighter <u>FLUID</u>"

Seriously, though, I agree with Mike; Basil Hayden is just the thing for a high-quality light bourbon. Also Gentleman Jack (I know, it's not bourbon). Other light bourbons I can think of are all really cheap, and include my least favorites (I like lots of flavor), but you might like them -- at least they're inexpensive to try...

Henry McKenna (standard, not single barrel)
Cabin Still
Old Crow
(Omagawd! I can't believe I really recommended those to anyone!)
Four Roses (get it while you can)
J.W. Dant BIB

and if you want a light whiskey that will serve the purpose of Canadian, don't neglect the better American blends like Kessler and Seven Crown.

=John=
http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey