PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Kevin
10-04-2010, 18:54
Has anyone heard of W.H. Harrison Indiana Straight Boubon Whiskey. I have just caught wind of this, and want to learn more, but it probably hasn't left the boundries of Indiana. Its made by Tipton Spirits, Brazil, IN, their website link is below.

Also, I am well aware that Bourbon can be made in any state, but I thought that only Kentucky could use its name before the title Straigh Bourbon Whiskey.

www.harrisonbourbon.com (http://www.harrisonbourbon.com)

Bourbon Boiler
10-04-2010, 19:11
I had not heard of it either, but now I definitely want to try it.

Josh
10-04-2010, 19:11
Ah, Tipton, home of the world-famous Pork Fest.:lol:

If I had to guess I would say they bought this stuff from ADI in Lawrenceburg. It's heartening that they don't say they distilled this themselves anywhere on their websites or even imply it. Sure they're not distilling, but at least they're not lying about it either.

It sounds interesting, at any rate. Do they sell it where you work, Kev?

sku
10-04-2010, 19:21
Has anyone heard of W.H. Harrison Indiana Straight Boubon Whiskey. I have just caught wind of this, and want to learn more, but it probably hasn't left the boundries of Indiana. Its made by Tipton Spirits, Brazil, IN, their website link is below.

Also, I am well aware that Bourbon can be made in any state, but I thought that only Kentucky could use its name before the title Straigh Bourbon Whiskey.

www.harrisonbourbon.com (http://www.harrisonbourbon.com)

Good catch. Hadn't heard of this one. Hmmm, a Bourbon named after a president who served a whole month. What's next Millard Fillmore Bourbon?

Oh, and it's an often repeated myth that only Kentucky can use its name on the label. There is no such restriction.

Kevin
10-04-2010, 19:34
Actually I now work for a wine/spirits distributor...not the one that reprsents this brand though.

Would ADI be Seagrams?

I heard about it by word of mouth, not by any grand anouncement by the brand.

The bottle says "Aged less than 4 years," doesnt there have to be a specific age statement of the yougest whiskey in the blens if it is less than 4 years old?

Do you think they buy white dog and age themselves, or buy the aged whiskey, and as advertised on the label, bottle in Temperance, MI

P.S. I am less than eloquent, but I laugh that their description is "layers of subtlety" Subtle what...?

Ah, Tipton, home of the world-famous Pork Fest.:lol:

If I had to guess I would say they bought this stuff from ADI in Lawrenceburg. It's heartening that they don't say they distilled this themselves anywhere on their websites or even imply it. Sure they're not distilling, but at least they're not lying about it either.

It sounds interesting, at any rate. Do they sell it where you work, Kev?

birdman1099
10-04-2010, 19:45
I have actually heard of this but could not find any web facts to back it up. I believe they are actually distilling in Tipton Co. I was told it is the only Straight bourbon whiskey being distilled in Indiana.

I will actually be in Bloomington tomorrow. I will pick up a few bottles.

also, WH Harrison was renowned in Indiana as a governor, not necessarily a president.:cool:

Kevin
10-04-2010, 20:21
I luckily found, and bought a bottle of the Govenor Select, barrel proof (114), Batch #1

I have actually heard of this but could not find any web facts to back it up. I believe they are actually distilling in Tipton Co. I was told it is the only Straight bourbon whiskey being distilled in Indiana.

also, WH Harrison was renowned in Indiana as a governor, not necessarily a president.:cool:

sku
10-04-2010, 20:49

I'd be pretty shocked if they distilled this. First, they talk a lot about Indiana on the website, but make no claims to having distilled it, don't have pictures or stories about their distillery, etc. That screams to me that their role is bottling; Second, I feel like we would have known if there was a microdistiller who had been around for at least four years making Bourbon in central IN.

LDI/Seagram's makes Bourbon so they could have easily bought it from them and bottled it.

birdman1099
10-05-2010, 05:07
I'd be pretty shocked if they distilled this. First, they talk a lot about Indiana on the website, but make no claims to having distilled it, don't have pictures or stories about their distillery, etc. That screams to me that their role is bottling; Second, I feel like we would have known if there was a microdistiller who had been around for at least four years making Bourbon in central IN.

LDI/Seagram's makes Bourbon so they could have easily bought it from them and bottled it.

Well, I can't disagree with that... The wording fits !!!:rolleyes:

Kevin, where did you find the batch #1? I'd love to get one of those...

MissinER101
10-05-2010, 06:30

Bloomington....My old home town, is Big Red Liquors still in business?

birdman1099
10-05-2010, 08:00

Yep... Thats where I'm going !!!!:grin:

Josh
10-05-2010, 08:17

Ahhh...Big Red. A friend and I parked a car in their lot one night back in the 1990s and learned a valuable lesson about taking signs seriously.:lol:

dgonano
10-05-2010, 09:51
An opportunity to call the bourbon "Old Tippecanoe" and they chose "Harrison" instead. Or they could haved called it "Old 32 Brand" in celebration of the number of days he served as President.

birdman1099
10-05-2010, 12:08
Old Tippecanoe wold have been a great name !!!!

well, I pulled the trigger on a bottle.

$56.99 + tax for "less than 4 yr" bourbon at 114 proof.:skep:

It better be DAMN tasty !!!!:smiley_acbt:

Kevin
10-05-2010, 16:29
They don't even do the bottling!!! It says on the side of the bottle that it is bottled in Teperance, MI...so do they just take 4 year old Seagrams and deliver it to our neighbors to the north??

Bourbon Boiler
10-05-2010, 18:37
An opportunity to call the bourbon "Old Tippecanoe" and they chose "Harrison" instead. Or they could haved called it "Old 32 Brand" in celebration of the number of days he served as President.

And "Tyler Too" would have made a great secondary brand ...

cowdery
10-06-2010, 12:34
It appears to have been launched about three weeks ago. Maybe they aren't lying about distilling it but they're telling plenty of other fibs.

Their claim "The First Indiana Bourbon Since Prohibition" is surely false. There were four distilleries making bourbon just in Greendale/Lawrenceburg after Prohibition. One of the brands made there, Old Quaker, was a major national brand. There was also the Park and Tilford distillery in Tell City. LDI, the likely source of this juice, is still making bourbon in Indiana and has been for more than 70 years.

It's interesting that TTB approved the wording "aged less than four years." I can see the logic. "Straight" means it is more than two years old, so the consumer is probably receiving enough information without putting a specific age (e.g., 36 months) on it.

I strongly doubt there was any "Indiana Oak" in the barrels. Their claim that "much of the oak used to make bourbon barrels is actually grown in Indiana" is surely false. Neither ISC nor Brown-Forman sources any significant amount of timber from Indiana and they represent about 99% of all whiskey barrels made in the USA.

There is both a Harrison Bourbon web site and a Tipton Spirits web site but neither one tells you very much. The Tipton site says the company is made up of people who used to work for the big liquor companies but they don't name a single name or give an address of where the company is located. What are they hiding?

The myth that "only Kentucky can put its name on the labels" dies hard. The odd thing to me is that it isn't even logical. Who would enforce such a rule?

sku
10-06-2010, 13:00
The myth that "only Kentucky can put its name on the labels" dies hard. The odd thing to me is that it isn't even logical. Who would enforce such a rule?

Exactly. It reminds me of the similar myth that only Texas can fly its flag at the same height as the US flag.

I'm guessing that as people get to know the rules of Bourbon and there are more and more non-Kentucky Bourbon, the idiots who have been perpetuating the "Bourbon can only be made in KY" myth, seeing that it is clearly not the case, switched to, "Well, it can be made anywhere but only Kentucky can have its name on the label."

sku
10-06-2010, 13:35
It's interesting that TTB approved the wording "aged less than four years." I can see the logic. "Straight" means it is more than two years old, so the consumer is probably receiving enough information without putting a specific age (e.g., 36 months) on it.

Redemption rye's age statement is "over two years old," another one that seemed odd since that goes along with the definition of "straight."

PaulO
10-06-2010, 15:31
I remember as a child being taken shopping at the main Big Red location when it was an A&P grocery store! I'm curious to hear how the Indiana Bourbon tastes. I don't think I'd be paying $50+ for something that young. I read about in the Star that a micro distiller in Indiana was making and selling vodka and gin. That may be unrelated. I don't know. Could this be like the new Michters?

Josh
10-06-2010, 15:35
I remember as a child being taken shopping at the main Big Red location when it was an A&P grocery store! I'm curious to hear how the Indiana Bourbon tastes. I don't think I'd be paying $50+ for something that young. I read about in the Star that a micro distiller in Indiana was making and selling vodka and gin. That may be unrelated. I don't know. Could this be like the new Michters?

If it's in the Star, you know it's wrong. :lol:

cowdery
10-06-2010, 16:01
Could this be like the new Michters?

It's more like Templeton Rye.

I see from an earlier post that the barrel proof 'reserve' edition is $60. How much for the standard expression? I'll guess $40.

birdman1099
10-06-2010, 18:30
It's more like Templeton Rye.

I see from an earlier post that the barrel proof 'reserve' edition is $60. How much for the standard expression? I'll guess $40.

The 80 proofer is only $30...:rolleyes:

so lets see..... 80 proof 4 yr old bourbon.... $30..... sounds right to me !!!:skep:

cowdery
10-06-2010, 19:52
Once again, the conversation here has inspired me (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2010/10/wh-harrison-indiana-bourbon-honors-war.html).

bourduc
10-06-2010, 20:04
Once again, the conversation here has inspired me (http://chuckcowdery.blogspot.com/2010/10/wh-harrison-indiana-bourbon-honors-war.html).

Thanks for the info. Was going to go searching for the Indiana SBW tomorrow.

Now, I'm just looking for some Upland Brewing beer on my travels thru IN!

Rob

sku
10-06-2010, 20:36
Funny thing is, I thing it would be quite appealing to advertise it as LDI Bourbon. I'm not aware of any other LDI straight Bourbon available for sale in the US. Their ryes are pretty plentiful these days (High West, Templeton, Redemption) and I know that there are LDI Bourbons bottled for export (Cougar), but I'm not aware of any available for sale in the US; it may be that they are used in blends or that there are some under well known bottlers, but I can't think of any off hand.

Kevin
10-07-2010, 17:37
If you all want a bit of a laugh, follow the link on their website to their facebook page. I have been asking them some of our questions, only to get their vague, politicians answers.

Kevin
10-07-2010, 17:40
...Nevermind, they deleted my posts, to keep the rest of the public in the dark.

If you all want a bit of a laugh, follow the link on their website to their facebook page. I have been asking them some of our questions, only to get their vague, politicians answers.

Bourbon Boiler
10-07-2010, 18:54

Thanks for the info. I went from excited, to curious, to uninterested within 72 hours.

Josh
10-07-2010, 19:52
...Nevermind, they deleted my posts, to keep the rest of the public in the dark.

I think one of them is still up there.

shoshani
10-10-2010, 00:17
I remember as a child being taken shopping at the main Big Red location when it was an A&P grocery store!

Ha. Shake hands, fellow old-timer! I remember that A&P on College Avenue. Also the longer-lived Kroger further south on College, next to Haag Drug.

Now that we know Big Red still exists, what about the green-colored confederation of smaller liquor stores known as "Little Guys"? (Each store traded under their own names, but the advertised collectively as "Little Guys", with green footprints painted onto the sidewalk by their entrances...this was about 25 years ago.)

PaulO
10-10-2010, 08:49
"Little Guys" sounds familiar, but I think that all stopped years ago (late '80s - early '90s)? Big Red on the other hand has new stores open all over the place.

TomH
10-15-2010, 18:39
Had a chance to sample the Harrison (LDI) bourbon tonirght. First of all the reps were quite open about it being LDI. The 80 proof had a decent flavor but was just too "smooth (as the reps kept calling it) or weak (as I would call it) for me to want to buy any. The Governor's reserve was a whiskey definitely looking ofr a place on my shelf with its flavor, however I've not yet pulled the trigger since at its price ($50) there is a lot of competition (At $40, I would probably be breaking my resolution on no more multiple bottle purchases and buying about 3-4 of them). I will still probably buy 1 bottle to have on hand. I have to say that right now LDI, is probably my 3rd favorite active distillery behind Buffalo Trace and 4 Roses.

Tom

MissinER101
10-24-2010, 03:48
OH YEA the A&P mom and dad bought most our groceries there. All you with Bloomington connections...Ever watch "Breaking Away"? Ever go "dipping" in the quarries??:rolleyes:

When Big Red opened, their bourbon section was 4 shelves high and 4 or 5 sections long (~30 feet), I drank my way from the top left to bottom right section by section (OK I skipped 10 high, and standard Jim & Jack). It took close to 2 years to do it, by then they added new selections so I had to do it over again:cool: That's how I found Eagle Rare 10/101.

Would like to try some of the Governor's reserve, when I get home the wife is coming to get me at Ft Benning and we will swing through Bloomington to see friends. I'll have to go to Big Red and see if I can snag a bottle (if I have any money left from dusty diving all the way).

RJW
10-26-2010, 16:45
4 pages and only one person who has tasted the Harrison. I have to agree that it is a very young and mild bourbon...could not really find any definite taste notes. Hopefully they will keep some in the barrels for another 4-6 years and then give it a try.

barturtle
10-26-2010, 16:59
4 pages and only one person who has tasted the Harrison. I have to agree that it is a very young and mild bourbon...could not really find any definite taste notes. Hopefully they will keep some in the barrels for another 4-6 years and then give it a try.

I've had the higher proof version (thanks Tom!)

I found it to be interesting and enjoyable...though I don't think I'll be willing to part with enough cash to own a bottle.

shoshani
10-26-2010, 17:07
OH YEA the A&P mom and dad bought most our groceries there. All you with Bloomington connections...Ever watch "Breaking Away"? Ever go "dipping" in the quarries??:rolleyes:

Never dipped, but did watch "Breaking Away" several times. Parts of it are hilarious if you're from Bloomington; the scene where the dad leaves his car dealership and goes speeding off to watch his son win the bicycle race? He's going to 10th Street stadium, which was on the north side; his car dealership is on College Avenue, south of there. He's speeding south on College, which is a southbound one-way street...but the stadium is the opposite direction, up north. Good times. :)

fishnbowljoe
10-27-2010, 10:12
I've had the higher proof version (thanks Tom!)

I found it to be interesting and enjoyable...though I don't think I'll be willing to part with enough cash to own a bottle.

I am in complete agreement with Timothy. :bowdown: Joe

hairbag
12-10-2010, 21:16
I had a taste of both last weekend. I liked the regular enough to buy a bottle. The reserve has more of a bite, but the regular is quite tasty if a bit on the mild side.
HB

smokinjoe
12-26-2010, 13:55
I received a bottle of the 80 proof as a Christmas gift. I have to say that I have been enjoying the pours that I have had so far. It's not mind-blowing, but it is much better than I expected, going in. Indicative of it's young age, it is lightly colored. The nose doesn't say much, but begins the theme of fresh corn husks, that carries into mid-palate. I was put off upon first opening of the bottle, of the medicinal alcohol tint, on the nose. But, I have found that a few minutes of sitting and swirls of the glass, dissipate this very effectively. Also, additional openings of the bottle have all but eliminated this. More chewy corn husks at first sip, along with a bit of oak. But, the interesting thing that I really enjoy in this whiskey so far, is the apple that hit's at the end of the corn husk phase, and blooms in the finish. I haven't done a side by side yet, but from what I remember, this bears a strong similarity to the Laird's 7-1/2 yr Apple Brandy that I always enjoy. The finish is dryish, and again surprisingly, doesn't just drop of the face of the earth. It, in fact, is quite lingering.

At the end of the day, I find it a rather nice pour. I hear it's ~$30. I won't say whether I would continually buy this at $30, and frankly, I don't care. I ain't always in this hobby to determine that. I am, however, always interested in trying new bourbons, pretty much regardless of price. I will say, I would drop $30 to buy this at least once. So, since I received the first one free, it is worthy of me pulling from my own wallet to buy a second.

squire
12-26-2010, 14:25
Joe, I think $30 a bottle for underage bulk whisky is outrageous. Apparently a ADI product, it is a new whisky only in the sense of being not yet mature.

smokinjoe
12-26-2010, 15:18
Joe, I think $30 a bottle for underage bulk whisky is outrageous. Apparently a ADI product, it is a new whisky only in the sense of being not yet mature.

I guess that goes down as a "Wont' buy"? ;) I certainly understand your positon, Squire. But, my post should not be construed to suggest that this booze is worth $30 to me, or anyone, on a long-term basis. Worth is, what worth is.

squire
12-26-2010, 16:59
Of course not Joe, no reference to you at all. I was thinking of our non posting readers who might like more information before making a purchase decision as there are some fine proven Bourbons out there that cost a lot less.

Barrel_Proof
12-26-2010, 18:02
I find this the most interesting and reflective post made in quite some time, although I doubt you'll see any of these young whiskeys (I do have a hard time calling them bourbons) in my bunker any time soon.

I received a bottle of the 80 proof as a Christmas gift. I have to say that I have been enjoying the pours that I have had so far. It's not mind-blowing, but it is much better than I expected, going in. Indicative of it's young age, it is lightly colored. The nose doesn't say much, but begins the theme of fresh corn husks, that carries into mid-palate. I was put off upon first opening of the bottle, of the medicinal alcohol tint, on the nose. But, I have found that a few minutes of sitting and swirls of the glass, dissipate this very effectively. Also, additional openings of the bottle have all but eliminated this. More chewy corn husks at first sip, along with a bit of oak. But, the interesting thing that I really enjoy in this whiskey so far, is the apple that hit's at the end of the corn husk phase, and blooms in the finish. I haven't done a side by side yet, but from what I remember, this bears a strong similarity to the Laird's 7-1/2 yr Apple Brandy that I always enjoy. The finish is dryish, and again surprisingly, doesn't just drop of the face of the earth. It, in fact, is quite lingering.

At the end of the day, I find it a rather nice pour. I hear it's ~$30. I won't say whether I would continually buy this at $30, and frankly, I don't care. I ain't always in this hobby to determine that. I am, however, always interested in trying new bourbons, pretty much regardless of price. I will say, I would drop $30 to buy this at least once. So, since I received the first one free, it is worthy of me pulling from my own wallet to buy a second.

Josh
12-26-2010, 18:27
I received a bottle of the 80 proof as a Christmas gift. I have to say that I have been enjoying the pours that I have had so far....

I find this the most interesting and reflective post made in quite some time, although I doubt you'll see any of these young whiskeys (I do have a hard time calling them bourbons) in my bunker any time soon.

Hear Hear! Joe, you've convinced me to try to grab one of the 80 proofers while I'm down here in Indianapolis.

craigthom
01-23-2011, 05:09
I was poking around on the Web (I know! Imagine such a thing!) and found this list of whiskeys made at LDI (http://www.lawrenceburgdistillersindiana.com/Custom.aspx).

Two things jumped out at me: the only rye listed is 95% rye, with no small grain, and there's also a bourbon that's 99% corn with no small grain (I guess rye needs more help breaking down the starches).

tmckenzie
01-23-2011, 07:00
I think the 95 percent rye is meaning the other 5 % is malt. And the 99 percent is using 1 percent malt. 5% percent malt is plenty on the rye, but if they are only use 1 percent malt and 99 percent corn, then they have got to add enzymes.

Bourbon Boiler
06-06-2011, 19:36
I finally got a chance to sample this. I was in a liquor store in Indy over my lunch hour, and the store had done a tasting over the previous weekend. I had a conversation about various whiskeys with the manager, and he brough out a half-full bottle of each the regular and the Governor's Select.

In full disclosure, I'd just finished my lunch and had really overdone it on the hot-sauce, so I wasn't in peak tasting form. I had the regular first, and it was certainly nothing special. It's something you'd use to mix if your company didn't want to taste the bourbon. It wasn't bad, just really boring and obviously needed to go back in the barrel for a while.

I then tried the Governor's Select, and was very impressed. It had a long finish, and reminded me a little of WTKS. However, the earlier posts nailed it. This particular store was selling it for $55, and it just isn't a $55 bottle. At $38-$40, it would be worth having a bottle on the shelf, particularly when trying to show off a "sorta home-state" product.