PDA

View Full Version : Yuengling moving into the Midwest

Bourbon Boiler
10-15-2010, 16:11
http://www.memphisdailynews.com/editorial/Article.aspx?id=53550

Looks like they want to market outside of the East Coast / South. This will increase my fuel economy every time I come back from Pennsylvania - there will be less weight in the trunk.

DeanSheen
10-15-2010, 17:54
Always been flabbergasted it is not in Ohio.

Josh
10-15-2010, 18:04
It's nice that they're expanding, but I'll put any Michigan Microbrew (anything from Bell's, New Holland, Arcadia, Shorts, Milking It, Jolly Pumpkin or Dark Horse anyway) up against Yuengling any day.

unclebunk
10-15-2010, 18:55
And is it really Yuenglings if it's not from Pennsylvania? Kinda like Rolling Rock from New Jersey. Somehow that just seems wrong to me.

DeanSheen
10-15-2010, 18:56
It's nice that they're expanding, but I'll put any Michigan Microbrew (anything from Bell's, New Holland, Arcadia, Shorts, Milking It, Jolly Pumpkin or Dark Horse anyway) up against Yuengling any day.

Why no Founders love?

callmeox
10-15-2010, 19:01
And is it really Yuenglings if it's not from Pennsylvania? Kinda like Rolling Rock from New Jersey. Somehow that just seems wrong to me.

AB ruined RR when they took the production out of Latrobe, but I bet that you can't taste the difference between a Sam Adams made at one brewery from one made elsewhere.

Josh
10-15-2010, 19:31
Why no Founders love?

I knew I forgot one.:lol:

bourduc
10-15-2010, 20:00
Always been flabbergasted it is not in Ohio.

What I've been told is that Ohio is one of the largest states for beer consumption, and that Yuengling could not keep up with the demand that expansion into Ohio would bring.

Just what I've heard, please don't shoot the messenger!!!

Rob

DeanSheen
10-15-2010, 20:14
What I've been told is that Ohio is one of the largest states for beer consumption, and that Yuengling could not keep up with the demand that expansion into Ohio would bring.

Just what I've heard, please don't shoot the messenger!!!

Rob

Sounds somewhat plausible. Up North here in Cleveland we drink so much of it we started Cleveland Beer Week two years ago.

The website sucks, but the beer is flowing. Supposedly we consume more craft beer up here than anywhere else in the state.

http://www.clevelandbeerweek.org/

Bourbon Boiler
10-15-2010, 20:58

I don't normally consider Yuengling a microbrew, but we're almost to the point in the industry that anything not owned operated by InBev/AB or Miller-Coors has to be a micro.

rocky480
10-15-2010, 21:16

I've enjoyed Yuengling products ever since the college days when I used to have to drive cases back from the closet PA beer store to the MD line when I crossed it, but I've never thought of it as trying to compete against the true micros. I've always thought of it as a competetively priced alternative to the Budweisers and MGD's of the world. I wouldn't put it on the same level as a Sam Adams product, but I buy Yuengling for "every day" drinking over the comparable AB-Inbev or MillerCoors product every time.

bourduc
10-15-2010, 21:53
I don't normally consider Yuengling a microbrew, but we're almost to the point in the industry that anything not owned operated by InBev/AB or Miller-Coors has to be a micro.

I agree that Yuengling is more aligned with the big boys than the micro beers.

Since it was not available in my area I was surprised while attending an Alice In Chains concert earlier this year, that Yuengling was cheaper than Heineken and Sam Adams.

I think I may have been consumed with the fact that it was not available in my neck of the woods, so when I traveled to an area that has it, I'm all over it. Similar to the effect that Coors had on us east of the Mississippi River back in the '70's.

Rob

Bourbon Boiler
10-16-2010, 06:04
I've enjoyed Yuengling products ever since the college days when I used to have to drive cases back from the closet PA beer store to the MD line when I crossed it, but I've never thought of it as trying to compete against the true micros. I've always thought of it as a competetively priced alternative to the Budweisers and MGD's of the world. I wouldn't put it on the same level as a Sam Adams product, but I buy Yuengling for "every day" drinking over the comparable AB-Inbev or MillerCoors product every time.

I would lean Yuengling over most Sam Adams, but I otherwise agree. If I'm looking for the best beer of the evening, I'll pass on everything mentioned. If I'm looking for a good value, I'll take Yuengling at a $3-$4 premuim per case over the "commercial" beers. That of course assumes I'm in a state where it is available.

SBOmarc
10-16-2010, 11:56
Still no chance of me getting it here in SoCal. Memphis is expansion, but alas not able to make a difference.

I like it, and it's a part of my upbringing. If that is not okay with the Micro brew afficianados from other parts of the country...what can I say?

callmeox
10-16-2010, 11:58
I'm not much of a beer guy any more, but I still run to Erie, PA once a summer to grab a case for my friends and I. For a standard American non-specialty beer, it's darn good.

PAspirit1
10-16-2010, 13:53
There is definitely, for me, no better beer at that price point. But it won me over on the taste alone.

Josh
10-17-2010, 16:57
I wasn't saying Yuengling was a microbrew. I was being a grouchy contrarian hater. I was saying I'd rather drink one of Michigan's peerless microbrews than a cult beer from another state.

I think it's just that I don't really do "everyday beer drinking" anymore. If I'm only drinking a beer once or twice a week, I might as well just drink a quality micro.

Plus, I don't know if saying something is better than Bud or Coors is much of a complement. It's like saying syphilis is better than malaria. :lol:

DeanSheen
10-17-2010, 18:26
Michigan's peerless microbrews than a cult beer from another state.

Peerless? Thats some tasty hyperbole there!

The West Coast called and they would like to have a word........

Josh
10-17-2010, 19:25
Peerless? Thats some tasty hyperbole there!

The West Coast called and they would like to have a word........

Do they have any out there?:lol:

ODaniel
10-19-2010, 21:22
I hope they hurry up and get it to Kentucky. I'm sick of people asking for it every single day. Some people get pissed that we don't have it, then I tell them it's the brewery's decision to distribute to certain states, then they say "Oh" and leave.

For the price, I enjoy a Yuengling. However, I would much prefer a top notch microbrew. A microbrewery is a brewery producing less than 1 million barrels (31gal=barrel=bbl) per year. I don't know how much they produce and don't feel like searching. I read Sam Adams was approaching 1mil/yr and was trying to get the law changed to 6mil/yr so they could stay "micro".

SMOWK
10-20-2010, 15:50
I've always found Yuengling in a can to be better than the bottle. I've had them side by side many a time, with many a people, and the can wins every time.

We (my poker buddies and I) drank Yuengling all the time for quite a while. IN the past few years, we've had numerous "skunky" batches. So much so, that a few of the guys stopped buying it altogether. I still like the Lord Chesterfield though. It really stands out as my favorite Yuengling product. And, I've never had a skunky batch of it.

Lord Chesterfield and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout makes one hell of a black & tan!

PAspirit1
10-20-2010, 17:40
I hope they hurry up and get it to Kentucky. I'm sick of people asking for it every single day. Some people get pissed that we don't have it, then I tell them it's the brewery's decision to distribute to certain states, then they say "Oh" and leave.

For the price, I enjoy a Yuengling. However, I would much prefer a top notch microbrew. A microbrewery is a brewery producing less than 1 million barrels (31gal=barrel=bbl) per year. I don't know how much they produce and don't feel like searching. I read Sam Adams was approaching 1mil/yr and was trying to get the law changed to 6mil/yr so they could stay "micro".

I read, and probably many here did, that the micro-brew's share of the market has been increasing steadily for years. But if Sam Adams is declared not to be micro, than micro-brews will technically decline in popularity for the first time in a couple of decades or so.

ODaniel
10-20-2010, 20:50
I read, and probably many here did, that the micro-brew's share of the market has been increasing steadily for years. But if Sam Adams is declared not to be micro, than micro-brews will technically decline in popularity for the first time in a couple of decades or so.

Hmm never thought about it like that. I supposed from a statistical standpoint they will decline some, but they are still increasing steadily, which is great.

CorvallisCracker
10-21-2010, 12:21
Do they have any out there?:lol:

None that we're willing to share with the likes of you. :slappin:

As for Yuengling, I used to buy it a lot in Florida. It's one of the better beers in its price range. If they sold it here, and sold it for under $6 per sixpack, I'd still be buying it. Fortunately, Deschutes is frequently on sale - last month a local grocery had it for $5.85/sixpack so I stocked up.

Back in Tallahassee, Yuengling was the best tap beer at the local Hooters. Thursday eve was "Bike Night" so I and my wife would hop on the Harley and go over there to meet a couple of friends who also had bikes. I always ordered a pint of Y.

My favorite beers (http://www.corvallisepicurean.com/2010/09/my-favorite-beers.html).

jesskidden
10-21-2010, 15:20
A microbrewery is a brewery producing less than 1 million barrels (31gal=barrel=bbl) per year. I don't know how much they produce and don't feel like searching. I read Sam Adams was approaching 1mil/yr and was trying to get the law changed to 6mil/yr so they could stay "micro".

According to the Brewers Association (the "small/craft" brewers organization in the US) the definition of a "microbrewery" is under 15,000 bbl a year (http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/market-segments). They define a "small brewery" as under 2m bbl (http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/craft-brewer-defined), using the Excise Tax definition. They are trying to change the Excise Tax limit for the small brewers (to 6m bbl) (http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/excise-taxes) as well as reduce the tax, but since BBC's Jim Koch is on the Board of the B.A., most expect that their definition will change regardless to keep Samuel Adam's "craft". BBC produced over 2m bbl of "malt beverages" in 2009, but the B.A. now subtracts the totals of their malternatives - "Flavored malt beverages are not considered beer for purposes of this definition" (http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/craft-brewer-defined) - Twisted Tea and HardCore Cider, so they remain under 2 million for now.

bourduc
10-21-2010, 16:45
The latest that I've heard on this, is that Yuengling will be brewed in Cincinnati. It is expected to be producing beer by 2012.

Just what I'm hearing, don't really know the source of the info.

Rob

ODaniel
10-21-2010, 22:20
According to the Brewers Association (the "small/craft" brewers organization in the US) the definition of a "microbrewery" is under 15,000 bbl a year (http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/market-segments). They define a "small brewery" as under 2m bbl (http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/craft-brewer-defined), using the Excise Tax definition. They are trying to change the Excise Tax limit for the small brewers (to 6m bbl) (http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/government-affairs/excise-taxes) as well as reduce the tax, but since BBC's Jim Koch is on the Board of the B.A., most expect that their definition will change regardless to keep Samuel Adam's "craft". BBC produced over 2m bbl of "malt beverages" in 2009, but the B.A. now subtracts the totals of their malternatives - "Flavored malt beverages are not considered beer for purposes of this definition" (http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/business-tools/craft-brewing-statistics/craft-brewer-defined) - Twisted Tea and HardCore Cider, so they remain under 2 million for now.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. So many numbers and government taxes and regulations I can't keep up.

jesskidden
10-22-2010, 04:03
The latest that I've heard on this, is that Yuengling will be brewed in Cincinnati. It is expected to be producing beer by 2012.

Just what I'm hearing, don't really know the source of the info.

Rob

I don't understand the reference here to "Cincinnati"- is it a mistake- a reference to the ex-Schlitz Memphis brewery being discussed? (Pretty far apart with Kentucky in the way, but both somewhat "central US", I suppose.)

The only "macro" sized brewery left in Cincinnati is Boston Beer Co.'s, the old Schoenling facility. There's currently no connection between the two companies, but there is a strong rivalry since both are neck and neck in sales, and fighting for the title of "largest US owned brewing company".

OscarV
10-26-2010, 12:16
I learned today that the beer distributor I work for is trying to get Yuengling for our market.
They estimate that we could sell 100,000 cases of it per year and that would lead to adding another route.
Which would be good news because in this same meeting they told us they are going to cut a route in 2 weeks.

bourduc
06-22-2011, 17:41
Into Ohio!! (in Oct. '11)

http://www.beer-universe.com/beer-education-article/2011-06-21/Yuengling-Will-Now-Serve-Ohio/

Bourbon Boiler
06-22-2011, 18:47
Into Ohio!! (in Oct. '11)

http://www.beer-universe.com/beer-education-article/2011-06-21/Yuengling-Will-Now-Serve-Ohio/

Best news I've heard today.

Bourbon Boiler
10-05-2011, 19:22
Yuengling went on sale in Ohio Monday. My drive just got cut by 70%

ThomasH
10-07-2011, 09:40
My drive got cut down by 98%, from 45 miles to 1 mile!

Thomas

Bourbon Boiler
10-07-2011, 18:17
My drive got cut down by 98%, from 45 miles to 1 mile!

Thomas

Now that's efficency!

OscarV
10-08-2011, 07:15
No word yet here in MI.
They are still considering distributors and we are in the running.
One thing they don't like is MI bottle return law.
They say they don't want to print new labels.:skep:

callmeox
10-08-2011, 09:03
Now that's efficency!

Its saving me a yearly 180 mile round trip now as well. I grabbed a 12 at the local grocer last night.

Bourbon Boiler
10-08-2011, 16:42
I enjoyed a few Yingers tailgating for the Purdue game today. They had been in my fridge a few months, but still hit the spot on a surprisingly warm day.

ebo
10-08-2011, 18:07
I'm drinking a Yuengling as I write this. To be honest, It aint all that.

It's good, but it sure doesn't live up to the hype. I'll take a Sam Adams or Great Lakes product over it any day.

bourduc
10-22-2011, 16:12
Signs are up that Yuengling will be available Oct. 31 in SW OH -- maybe sooner in Columbus...Cheers!

Jwilly019
10-22-2011, 18:11
Signs are up that Yuengling will be available Oct. 31 in SW OH -- maybe sooner in Columbus...Cheers!

Already here. Couple weeks now in fact.

Bourbon Boiler
10-23-2011, 17:48
I had a few of these in the Pittsburgh area this week, but didn't bring any home for the first time in a while.