PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Bourbon 7 y/o, 101 Proof

BourbonJoe
10-15-2010, 22:05
Not too much said about this stuff for quite some time. I found some of this in the Alabama ABC stores. I know it's a Heaven Hill cat and dog but a 7 y/o 101 for $11.39 I thought why the hell not. The front end was sweet. At this point you knew it was a 101. Nothing offtaste in the middle. The finish was short, as expected. All in All not too bad. It makes one wonder why anybody would buy Evan Williams Black Label with this stuff sitting on the shelf.
Joe :usflag:

TNbourbon
10-15-2010, 22:56
Pretty much my take, Joe, the couple of times I've purchased it while next door in Alabama. A decent whiskey for the money, which is what Heaven Hill specializes in. (I hope the Shapiras NEVER sell!)

Stones
10-16-2010, 00:07
IMO Virgin is very under rated probably due to its price bracket and largely to its branding as well. But for a bottom shelf bourbon i would probably buy it before JB white anyday. Just my 5c.

smokinjoe
10-16-2010, 09:20
I pick up one of these every time I make it over to Bama. I'm a really big fan of it, and am convinced it is the same bourbon as what goes into the Old Ezra 7. You're right, great bang for the buck. Joe, instead of EW Black, I ask your question this way: With this stuff sitting on the shelf, why would anyone buy Wild Turkey 101?

camduncan
10-16-2010, 14:31
IMO Virgin is very under rated probably due to its price bracket and largely to its branding as well. But for a bottom shelf bourbon i would probably buy it before JB white anyday. Just my 5c.

It's price point here in Australia is probably why it's not so popular. There's plenty of stuff near or below the price point to consider for the average consumer.

squire
12-17-2010, 23:24
We used to consume this brand as a football afternoon sort of thing and we liked it for the reasons mentioned above. Also a good bang for the buck.