PDA

View Full Version : Maxim Bourbon Awards

Drunkonjack
10-17-2010, 09:14
Seen in the current edition of Maxim Magazine .

Makers 46 $35
Pappy Van Winkles $100
Hudson Baby bourbon $40
Angels Envy $46
Blanton's Original $50
George T. Stagg $70
Willet Pot Still Reserve $50
Jim Beam Black $20

I may just add all these to my bunker and taste them for myself.

hectic1
10-17-2010, 11:08
Thanks for posting the list Kurt...I've got a good portion of them here...maybe another trip over is in order! :cool:

cowdery
10-17-2010, 12:23
As the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste.

What's Blanton's 'Original'?

ErichPryde
10-17-2010, 12:32
As the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste.

What's Blanton's 'Original'?

the original single barrel? :rolleyes:

cowdery
10-17-2010, 12:42
the original single barrel? :rolleyes:

But is anyone, other than Maxim, calling it that?

barturtle
10-17-2010, 13:50
But is anyone, other than Maxim, calling it that?

La Maison Du Whisky does..

http://www.whisky.fr/produit-407-blantons-original-46,5.html

cowdery
10-17-2010, 15:15
La Maison Du Whisky does..

http://www.whisky.fr/produit-407-blantons-original-46,5.html

That sort-of makes my point, which is that Maxim should stick to exploiting and objectifying women. I'm not so sure they know their way around bourbon well enough to pick winners.

Drunkonjack
10-17-2010, 17:14
Thanks for posting the list Kurt...I've got a good portion of them here...maybe another trip over is in order! :cool:

I'd love to sample them...........But I'm thinking it is cutting it close. The twins are like 4 weeks away.

All of these are in my budget line except the one might be pushing it.

See you soon:cool:

Drunkonjack
10-17-2010, 17:16
That sort-of makes my point, which is that Maxim should stick to exploiting and objectifying women. I'm not so sure they know their way around bourbon well enough to pick winners.

It at least gets someone pointed in the right direction.

Bourbon and a nice rack makes a good edition :grin:

barturtle
10-17-2010, 17:50

This brings me back to this post:

Yes, and while they may be entitled to have an opinion, that doesn't mean their opinion can't be DEAD WRONG.

:slappin:

Josh
10-17-2010, 18:42
What, no Red Stag?

MarkEdwards
10-17-2010, 18:58

I suppose they are trying to add a sheen of 'sophistication' so they can gain some subscribers from the 'manly men' demographic, who like soft women and hard liquor...

ErichPryde
10-17-2010, 21:44

When I initially read the list, I thought that perhaps it looked like someone waited until the last second and then ran down to the local bevmo to look at bourbon. They picked a decent range of whiskey and I can even follow their reasoning:

Notes for future "MAXIM bourbon awards article:

Today I ran down to BevMo to get a feel for what some good bourbons might be. The first bottle that caught my eye was this silly, tall looking bottle that said something about Wilbert pot stills. It looked a bit like a foppish hat; I should call BevMo back and make sure I get the name right for the article!

After picking a couple more (including a very expensive bottle and another very silly bottle that reminded me somewhat of a cross between a honey pot and a hand grenade) I decided I'd add the brand-new "Double Aged" Jim Beam black edition. Whatever it is it's obviously better than the regular Jim Beam because it was 6 dollars more!

SBOmarc
10-19-2010, 07:55
Like most Maxim articles, the pictures were nice.

kickert
10-19-2010, 07:56
Is Angel's Envy even available?

silverfish
10-19-2010, 08:05
Is Angel's Envy even available?

John Hansell posts his initial thoughts (http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2010/10/18/my-initial-thoughts-on-the-new-angels-envy-bourbon/) on a pre-release sample of AE.
He says he has yet to receive the final product.

kickert
10-19-2010, 08:41
John Hansell posts his initial thoughts (http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2010/10/18/my-initial-thoughts-on-the-new-angels-envy-bourbon/) on a pre-release sample of AE.
He says he has yet to receive the final product.

That is what I was going by as well.

foxflyer5
10-19-2010, 14:14
a lot of those tasting or comparison articles in magazines such as Maxim are nothing more than paid ads in disguise.

SMOWK
10-19-2010, 14:16
a lot of those tasting or comparison articles in magazines such as Maxim are nothing more than paid ads in disguise.

I would most certainly give rave reviews of any bottle sent to me for free.

SBOmarc
10-19-2010, 15:33

I can't give them that much credit. They are from different houses so that makes no sense.

OscarV
10-19-2010, 15:44
OK, Maxim don't know nothin' 'bout bourbon.
But it does seem to me that they do know the women I love.