PDA

View Full Version : new to SB from Tallahasee

nivto
10-21-2010, 18:03
Hey there. I'm a 24yo student in Tallahassee, Fl. I've been living here for a couple years now and have found work on a few different organic farms in that time while taking classes at night. I've been lurking around here for some time now and always really appreciate what you all have to say. I've been a "serious" bourbon drinker now for a few years. Here's a little background into my short bourbon history.

The bourbon that made me realize that bourbon is GOOD was Bookers and that was about 5 years ago now. I still remember when and where I had my first glass, and the way the spice hit and took over all my taste buds. I was a lover of bourbon from that moment on. It did take me a year or two for me to start branching out and discovering everything else available beyond the beam small batch collection, and it took me even longer to start "trying" to develop my palate. That was around the time I discovered bourbonenthusiast and straightbourbon. You all have been a huge help, and so thank you.

From daily budget sippers to top shelf my favorites so far are Four Roses yellow label, Old Forester 86 proof, Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams SB, Eagle Rare 10yo, Four Roses SB, VW Lot B, and Pappy 15yo. I think really if I could drink Four Roses SB every night from now on though, I'd be pretty darn content.

There is a lot I have still yet to try and very few that I haven't enjoyed (corner creek, prichards, anything woodford reserve, makers mark are all that come to mind).

A few bottles I have uncorked and am patiently waiting for the right time to taste - Four Roses Mariage, Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye, Blanton's

The BTAC has not yet hit the shelves in Tallahassee and I am strongly considering whether it is worth the money for me to pick up a bottle of Stagg or Weller (if I can even find a bottle). It seems that for the price these bourbons cost I can try a couple of regular top shelf whiskeys that I have yet to add to the collection. Just curious as to what you all suggest. There seems to be a lot of talk behind these bottles, and am still unsure whether to spend the money on them.

Anyway it's been a whole lot of fun exploring the shelves over the past few years, and like I said above, everybody's input on this forum has been a huge help in not only selecting, but tasting. If i don't end up posting a lot, I just wanted to stop in and say hi to you all. Happy sipping :toast:

sailor22
10-22-2010, 07:53
Welcome to the board -- glad to have another Tallahassee resident here...... it's been so lonely for so long:grin:

Check your PM for info on Bourbon related events coming up in Tallahassee

tsangster
10-22-2010, 11:19
Welcome.

BTAC can sometimes be found at the Capitol Square(?) store near I10 as you enter t'hassee from Thomasville. Last time I was there he wanted ~$90 for a bottle of Stagg. Weller and Handy were a little more reasonable. If I recall correctly none were displayed.

CorvallisCracker
10-22-2010, 11:43
I'm a 24yo student.....The bourbon that made me realize that bourbon is GOOD was Bookers and that was about 5 years ago now.

You would have been 19! :bigeyes:

Sure, I was drinking bourbon at age 19 (WT 8/101) but the legal drinking age was 18 in those days.

So you're a Bad Boy....and should fit right in here!

Welcome to the board -- glad to have another Tallahassee resident here...... it's been so lonely for so long:grin:

Steve, you don't even know what lonely is. Feh. :smil41df29a15fb35:

BTAC can sometimes be found at the Capitol Square(?) store near I10 as you enter t'hassee from Thomasville. Last time I was there he wanted ~$90 for a bottle of Stagg. Weller and Handy were a little more reasonable. If I recall correctly none were displayed.

Market Square. Ask for Barry. Be nice to him.

Anyway, welcome Ryan. Glad you could join Gazebo last night.

nivto
10-23-2010, 09:11
Thanks for the welcome!

Sailor22 - Thanks for the PM and reaching out. It's great to find that there is already Tallahassee representation on this board. I stopped into the lounge for the first time just the other week and it was a great experience. I moved down here a couple years ago from New York, and even though I have found a few good spots for craft beers on tap, it's nice to finally have a relaxing place I can take my girlfriend to, ask for a bourbon neat, and have the server know what that actually means! Also, I forget his name, but the barkeep was very talkative and friendly and he actually mentioned the whiskey society to me. I'll respond to your PM, but I would love to take part in a tasting, and thank you for the invite!

Corvallis - It was a pleasure talking with you all in the gazebo the other night. I echo my sentiments to Sailor, thanks for reaching out. I might have started drinking a bit earlier in life than I should have, but at least I learned early on to appreciate the good stuff. :grin: I have spoken to Barry at MSL many times when I go in there looking to treat myself, although I doubt that he knows who I am. Super knowledgeable guy, and really just seems to love to talk whiskey. I have to be careful when I engage him in discussion, because I may walk out with more then I intended!

MJL
10-24-2010, 13:42
I like seeing other Floridian bourbon drinkers....especially those on the other side of the state who pose no competition to my old bottle grabbing!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

fishnbowljoe
10-25-2010, 19:40
I know I talked to you in chat the other night, but I'll also say welcome to you here on your post Ryan. Cheers and again, welcome. :grin: Joe

sailor22
10-28-2010, 07:32
I have to be careful when I engage him in discussion, because I may walk out with more then I intended!

That's why they call it a "sales" position.

Regarding the TWS - This coming Tuesday evening at 7p.m. - hope to see you there - girlfriends/wives etc are welcome.

smokinjoe
10-28-2010, 11:46
Welcome aboard, Ryan. I had to giggle on your opening paragraph. It sounded like the typical opening to a story in the Forum section in Penthouse magazine. "I'm a college student at a small mid-western college where I am the only male in a house that I share with 8 gorgeous sorority girl roommates....I never thought that what I am going to tell you would ever happen to me, but...":D

Anywho, your initial bourbon forays sound fantastic. Great selection, and kudos to you for not falling prey to Jagerbombs and other such nonsense.

I hope you enjoy your continued exploration into Bourbonia, and your time here on SB.Com............and, feel free to share any stories if, in fact, you do share a house with 8 gorgeous sorority girls! :D

:toast:

nivto
10-28-2010, 18:06
Hah! I suppose it was a tad long-winded introduction, but where is your head at, sir! :lol:

Thanks again for the welcomes.