PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Doing a Nutty Taste Test

Bushape1
10-29-2010, 09:07
Greetings,
I have been lurking around this place for a while now and reading as much as I can whenever I can.
There’s tons of great info. & I’m Amazed by the base knowledge many folks here have on this most wonderful drink.
I come before you today to ask your opinion on the best way to accomplish something I have wanted to do for a long time.
Myself and several great friends are having our annual get together in Oceanside Calif. We’ve all known each other many years and decided to make it a priority once a year to get together and hang out, catch up, tell lies, talk shop and compare cool stuff bought over the past 12 months etc.
Basically we rent a killer house on the sand for a week and pretty much do whatever we want. Being sort of the ring leader & fan of quality bourbon I came up with an idea and this is where I need your help. I want to have a taste test of 8 different bourbons and determine which is liked best overall by regular guys without any real education on the finer points of good bourbon.
(not that I am any expert at all, I just know what I like)
So here’s how I was going to proceed & please tell me your thoughts on how you might do it differently or modify it in any way to get better results.
My plan is to bring 8 bourbons ranging in price from around $20 to $250 a bottle and see which is ranked best 1 through 8.
To do this I am numbering the bottom of shot glasses on non-see through tape and putting the corresponding # on each given bottle.
Then all 8 shot glasses will be put on a plate until time to taste.
Each glass will have ½ an ounce of bourbon in it and each person will only have water to chase with. Then one at a time each person smells and sips the bourbon before them and gives it a rank of 1 thru 8 in order of preference. Nobody will know what a person is tasting as they are tasting it except me and I will ask for impressions of smell and taste and write any notes on a chart for that persons tasting. I realize all this is obviously insanely subjective and also that the uneducated and unrefined taste of my rather motley crew is not likely to match many in this forum. But I do believe there is value in that it will be interesting to see what “the average man” really likes. So as wasteful and futile as it may be to attempt this I still am going to give it a go.
To my questions….is half an ounce enough in each shot to get a sense of what you’re drinking? Too much or not enough?
There will be 8 sample shots and I do not want anyone to be to polluted by the last one to give and accurate assessment.
Also…here is a list of what I am bringing for the test: Pappy 20, Pappy 23, Noah’s Mill, Black Maple Hill, Jim Beam white, JD Single Barrel and I have space for 2 more and this is where I would like your input. What other 2 would you recommend? Price is not a huge factor. I’m willing to go up to $200 for each of the last 2 bottles if need be if you firmly believe I am missing any must haves in here.
So if you have any input please offer it up. I know I am kind of a knucklehead for dropping this much cash on a horribly unscientific test like this but I’d really like to know if a regular guy prefers the $20 a bottle stuff over the $200 a bottle stuff. Plus these guys are my brothers and this is going to be way good fun either way.
So I came to consult the experts here in your good land and lay myself at your mercy.
Thanks in advance for any input.
Respectfully,
Ron

silverfish
10-29-2010, 09:19
What other 2 would you recommend? Price is not a huge factor. I’m willing to go up to $200 for each of the last 2 bottles if need be if you firmly believe I am missing any must haves in here.

Assuming availability isn't a factor, maybe toss a Rye into the
mix just to see how it does. I'm sure others will have a few
suggestions for you as well.

Your event sounds like a fun time & I hope you'll share the
results of your event.

Josh
10-29-2010, 09:33
Welcome Ron!

Here's my two oz. worth of advice.

I think 1/2 oz is enough to get a good taste, as long as these guys aren't shooting it or something like "knucklehead" like that. Where I've come into problems when hosting tastings is when there are too many different bourbons. By the end, the palate gets muddled and one can lose track.

What I like to do is stick with a theme, even if it's as simple everything being the same proof or price range. This is for the same reason I limit the samples to 4-5. If the bourbons are all over the place, it's easy to lose track of things.

If you wanna stay with the set up you mentioned, I would suggest the last two be high-rye bourbons. My first choices would be Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Four Roses Single Barrel. Or if you want to try some old-fshioned high rye bourbons, try Old Grandad 114 or Old Forester Signature.

If you're open to shifting things around a bit, I would recommend you eliminate one of the Pappys, Noah's Mill and the JB White. In their place, put Elmer T. Lee, Elijah Craig 12 y/o and Knob Creek (or Booker's if money is no object), and a couple of the high rye bourbons I mentioned above.
That will give you a broader representation of the products of different distilleries.

So it might look something like this:
1) A Pappy
2) Black Maple Hill
3) Elmer T. Lee
4) Elijah Craig 12
5) Knob Creek
6) WT Rare Breed
7) Four Roses Single Barrel
8) JD Single Barrel

But hey, it's your party! However you do it, be sure to report back and tell us how it went!

CorvallisCracker
10-29-2010, 09:59
So as wasteful and futile as it may be to attempt this I still am going to give it a go.

Nothing that involves drinking bourbon is wasteful and futile.

Also…here is a list of what I am bringing for the test: Pappy 20, Pappy 23, Noah’s Mill, Black Maple Hill, Jim Beam white, JD Single Barrel and I have space for 2 more

Both a PVW 20 and 23 seem a bit redundant.

Josh's list is a good one, although if it were me I'd swap the JD SB for a GD BS.

So, anyway, where and when, exactly, is this taking place?

Bushape1
10-29-2010, 10:10
Cool deal....
Very good input. Here's what I'm leaning toward.
Adding Rare Breed and Bookers for the final 2 and swapping Jim Beam for perhaps Knob Creek? What do ya think?
Also....for the purpose of this goofy scenario is there a time frame this should be limited to? & Is it better to always serve at room temp? Or perhaps chilled in the fridge for an hour? Also...what about crackers or some such in between each? I litterally have had tons of details pop in my head about this and in fact was thinking of adding Pappy 15 because it is so well loved for the most part. But didn't want it to seem like an ALL Van Winkle all the time kind of test. This isn't happening until February but in addition to looking forward to it all year I wanted to make it as viable as possible. Here's an absolutely stupid question.....I've never had it so how good is this Four Roses stuff really? Better than Pappy 20? No doubt different....but which is your preference?
I do appreciate all input and am willing to go to farily extensive lengths to make this work and produce some sort of legit result.
Respectfully,
Ron

CorvallisCracker
10-29-2010, 11:18
what about crackers or some such in between each?

Crackers are always good.

I've never had it so how good is this Four Roses stuff really? Better than Pappy 20? No doubt different....but which is your preference?

Well, they're so different it's an apples vs oranges deal, which makes it hard to say which is "better". The Pappy is a wheater, whereas the "standard" 4R SB has the highest percentage of rye (35%) of any Bourbon. Based on Oregon prices, the PVW is roughly twice as expensive as the 4R SB, but I wouldn't say it's twice as good.

My personal preference is the PVW 20, but that's just me.

It occurs to me that you are, as the guys in the white lab coats say, "confounding your variables", picking bourbons of different styles, different price points and a broad proof range. If you want to make it more "scientific", you might try picking different styles at roughly the same price point (say, $28-41)(Oregon prices) and roughly the same proof.

Something like this:

Low rye bourbon: Eagle Rare 10yo (90 proof)

Medium rye bourbon: Evan Williams Single Barrel (86.6 proof)

High rye bourbon: Bulleit (90)

Corn/wheat bourbon: Old Rip Van Winkle 10/90 if you can find it, Very Special Old Fitzgerald (90) if you can't.

Rye whiskey: Sazerac (90)

Tennessee whiskey: George Dickel Barrel Select (86)

That's only six, but I think it covers the basic styles. If you want to add two more, I'd suggest two of different styles but about the same age. A bottle of Elijah Craig 18yo might be an interesting thing to pit against the Pappy 20.

Vosgar
10-29-2010, 11:41
[quote=Bushape1;221776]
didn't want it to seem like an ALL Van Winkle all the time kind of test.

I know it's not what you're looking for, but an all Van Winkle tasting would be a helluva lot of fun. Let's see......................... you'd have 10, 12, 15, 20, and 23 year old bourbons along with a 13 year rye to try. Also, you would get the price range spread you're after. Sounds good to me :grin:

Gary

Bushape1
10-29-2010, 11:49
Again good adivce much appreciated, However as silly as it may be I really do want to know if a regular guy will prefer the $20 bottle over the $200 bottle. I totally get the point of keeping things a bit more seperate Rye vs Wheat or even by price or proof. But I kinda don't wanna know which Rye they like best or which one is best to them for under 50 bucks. I wanna know who wins. Period. One winner. Like I said to begin with, this will be a bit nutty.....but I'm kind of a nut. Black & white, right or wrong one has to be best. There can be a million almost as good...but which is the best.
As subjective as it is....as invalid as it is....In this case my 6 buddies get to decide which bourbon of the 8 presented is best.
I love that kind of stuff.
I totally get this is so twisted it isn't even funny and the purists will yell "My God Man Ya Can't do THAT!" Well.....yeah I can. It's the stuff that makes life worth living. At the end of the day to quote the most scientific bourbon drinker in history Mr. Spock:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left...however improbable, must be the truth." If my 6 knucklehead buddies all prefer something that costs under 40 bucks to Pappy 20 then to them the cheap stuff is better. And that's funny to me. I'll be the first one to call them idiots when we're all done if that's the case. But they are allowed to like what they like. All I can do is provide the opportunity to experience some of spectrum. If they don't "get it" then that's how it goes. But I am stoked to see how it all plays out. Actually considering dropping the Pappy 23 from the taste test and saving it for the next day and adding one of the other suggestions. Totally agree on the cracker idea. I was looking yesterday and there's actually some pretty flipping expensive crackers out there~! Holy Crap! Some are like 6 bucks for a relatively small box. But I have no doubt over at the cracker forum I would be chastized for buying regular saltines so no sense in half assing it at this point....looks like I'll be dropping $30 on crackers for this hoo ha as well. Cost of doing business I recon.
Respectfully,
Ron

CorvallisCracker
10-29-2010, 12:40
In this case my 6 buddies get to decide which bourbon of the 8 presented is best.

Don't get too hung up on "best". If you and your friends come up with seven different favorites, where will that leave you?

...the purists will yell "My God Man Ya Can't do THAT!" Well.....yeah I can.

Hey, it's your party and your money. You came here asking for advice. We gave you some.

At the end of the day to quote the most scientific bourbon drinker in history Mr. Spock:
"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever is left...however improbable, must be the truth."

Actually, that originated with Arthur Conan Doyle, as a statement by Sherlock Holmes.

I was looking yesterday and there's actually some pretty flipping expensive crackers out there~! Holy Crap! Some are like 6 bucks for a relatively small box.

Like Josh keeps telling his wife, "Good things come in small packages."

Sorry Josh, you're just so easy to pick on...and like Don, I have no self control...

fishnbowljoe
10-29-2010, 13:19
Ron, How about trying bourbons from different distilleries?

1. Maker's Mark-Maker's Mark or Maker's 46
2. Four Roses-Four Roses Single Barrel
3. Woodford Reserve-Woodford Reserve
4. Tom Moore-1792 Ridgemont Reserve
5. Heaven Hill-Evan Williams Single Barrel or Elijah Craig 12 or 18
6. Jim Beam-Baker's, Booker's or Knob Creek
7. Wild Turkey-Wild Turkey 101 or Rare Breed
8. Buffalo Trace-Blanton's or Rock Hill Farms

I know that leaves out any Van Winkle bourbons. Maybe you can substitute a Van Winkle instead of one of the others. Or, add a couple more bourbons and have two different flights for your tasting. Have them on two different days, then maybe have a final "taste off" of the best from the two flights on yet another day. You did say you had a whole week? Spread it out some. :grin:

Whatever you decided to do, please let us know how things turn out. I hope you and your "brothers" have a great week. Cheers! Joe

Josh
10-29-2010, 14:12
I would take Four Roses Single Barrel over Pappy 20 any day.
Well, maybe not. I would take the Pappy 20 so I could trade it for three bottles of 4R Single Barrel. :grin: Seriously tho, maybe some elderly relative has given you the impression that Four Roses is rotgut, which it was 30+ years ago, but it's not now. Four Roses Single Barrel is my favorite non-special release bourbon, period.

I do agree, though, that it's more a case of different over better. I just don't think the Pappy 20 & 23 are worth half of what they go for. I find them dull. Pappy 15, Lot B, Weller 12 and Old Rip 107 are all better wheaters, imo. But different people have different opinions, which is what makes Bourbonia great.
:cool:

Anyway, I really like the concept of "do you like the expensive bottle or the cheap one?" for a tasting. You might want to pair bourbons for one like that, for instance:

Elijah Craig 18/Evan Williams
Pappy 20/Weller SR
Blanton's/Ancient Age
Jim Beam White/Bookers
WT 101/WT Rare Breed or Kentucky Spirit (or something even pricier!)

Just a thought. Enjoy your tasting!

As for packages, let's just say that for years I have to carry a concealed weapon permit with me every time I wear pants. But I've never owned a gun.

Bushape1
10-29-2010, 14:25
Joe.....GREAT idea~! I like it. See now we're talking.
I felt a bit rushed and cramped trying to fit the test in to only 8 bottles.
Now I'm thinking I really like 12 bottles total. We'll do 6 day 1 & 6 on day 2. Take the top 3 rated from each day and have a playoff on day 3 with those 6. With the winner being THE GREATEST BOURBON IN THE WORLD!
Ok ok ok....just a little excited about doing the top 3 vs top 3 playoff deal.
It allows me to take more of your advice without trying to cram it all in one night.
Great stuff guys...great stuff.
Respectfully,
Ron

gblick
10-29-2010, 21:31
I'd definitely put Pappy 15 in there, and WT Rare Breed too.

nivto
10-29-2010, 23:13
I think, on the cheaper side, four roses yellow could hold its own.

kickert
10-30-2010, 18:03
Great post and great idea. I echo many of the comments others have written. I would have crackers and I would allow each to add water to their drink as they see fit. You really want them to be able to run the gammot in terms of distillery, mashbill, age, price, etc. As such, my list of 8 might look like this:

1. Pappy 20/23 - give them a great aged bourbon that is always highly regarded.
2. Maker's Mark - Mainstream, approachable wheated bourbon.
3. Bookers - Introduce them to the finer side of Jim Beam and a higher proof.
4. Rittenhouse BIB - Give them an excellent, cheap, rye whiskey.
5. Elijah Craig 12 - The 12 is a great all around whiskey and introduces HH.
6. 4 Roses SmB / SB - Great distillery, great product.
7. Jack Daniels Black - Stable for so many people, let them taste it with the others.
8. Wild Turkey Rare Breed / 101 - Gotta have the bird and this will give them moderate proof and a high rye bourbon.
(9.) ETL / ERSB / RHF / Blantons - These are all excellent bourbons that demonstrate the most approchable side of Buffalo Trace.

8 (or 9) bourbons is a lot to taste in a day. You might want to space it out over two evenings. I lose my discernment after 3-4. Half ounce samples are a great balance. At the end of two days you all will know what you like and then "sample" your favorites the rest of you week.

Hope that helps.

B.B. Babington
10-31-2010, 04:54
The stretching it out over days strategy is better. Your 6 one day and six the next and best six of twelve the third day is a GREAT idea. It's a whole week. After the "official" contest is over - with a whole week, you could do a lot. What you would find is preferences change depending on the day. Rolling in hot from the day's sand and fun, a smooth lighter drink like Blantons may be prefered. But late in the evening on the deck with cool wind and sounds of waves crashing, stout flavors may be prefered. With a bunch of open bottles laying around, people can reflect and go back to each to find which they like best.

Also, is the point to do a test or to have a good time? If you're really doing a test, then you pour it blind so that folks don't know what they're drinking, probably moving from more mellow to heavier. ---- But ---- if the point is to educate and have a good time, then would be better to tell people what they're drinking. As you do the contest for the world's greatest bourbon, show them the label. Let them take a sip and consider the flavors to decide what makes this one a finer drink than the other one. And some people may feel embarrased if they chose the cheapest rot gut over the Pappy 23. I'd opt for the educate and have a good time strategy. These are your buds and they'd appreciate it.

raquel
11-01-2010, 01:43
Again good adivce much appreciated, However as silly as it may be I really do want to know if a regular guy will prefer the $20 bottle over the $200 bottle. I totally get the point of keeping things a bit more seperate Rye vs Wheat or even by price or proof. But I kinda don't wanna know which Rye they like best or which one is best to them for under 50 bucks. I wanna know who wins. Period.

But wouldn't it be more fun and informative to throw some variety in there besides just bourbon?

It sounds like you're more of a bourbon drinker than all your friends, so they'll probably lean towards smoother things without a lot of complexities.

I think it'd be nice for you to stick something cheap and standard like Jim Beam in there, but you really have to go with Jim Beam Black. The white label will rank pretty low with anybody.

Four Roses Small Batch is something a little more complex that they would probably like. But if you had a $20 bottle of Chivas Regal 12 I think it would win just because it's light and smooth. I think any decent blended scotch without too much peat would rank pretty highly among the average non-bourbon-drinker, or a top shelf Canadian or Irish whiskey.

So I think you should throw in a Dewars 18 or Chivas 18 with the bunch, then either some Forty Creek or Jameson 18. But maybe that's not fair, because I really think the blends would win easily with people who aren't serious bourbon drinkers.

But since they're not snobs, don't just throw a bunch of obscure bourbons at them. I think your original idea of having a Jim Beam and a Jack Daniels in there is good. Then they can relate it to mainstream things they've heard of.

Most of the really good bourbons aren't things that the average person seems to like, but I think Blanton's is an exception, so I'd try that.

Personally, all my taste tests become a blur if I'm trying to compare more than three things, but maybe you guys can handle 6 glasses per day. :)

imbibehour
11-01-2010, 12:19
Sounds like a lot of fun. If you're not doing shots (which it sounds like you are) the only other suggestion I can recommend is to have some small snifters instead of shot glasses.

I've been doing and documenting my own tastings, and the forum here is filled with many knowledgeable people without a lot of prentiousness or egos. It makes for a good visit from time to time. I received lots of good suggestions also.

hope your tasting goes well. heck I already know it will who am I kidding.. :grin:

Bushape1
11-01-2010, 14:00
This place is great.....seriously. You guys rock~! I made the command decision to go with
the 6 a day for 2 days then the top 3 from each day battle is out for ultimate supremecy on day 3. This allows for me to have a total of 12 different bourbons which will give a better depth to the event. Also, I have decided to go with the Pappy 20 on day 1 and Pappy 23 on day 2. This just makes a ton more sense and allows for a possible showdown between the 2....however unlikely I totally dig that idea. I also like the idea of allowing adding water to each 1/2 oz pour. It will not only make it easier on the non bourbon drinkers but just maybe open up some smells that might surprise someone.
Serious about the whole cracker thing....and I know this is getting really egghead in nature...but is there a particular cracker anyone might suggest?
Otherwise I am gonna go with the variety pack of sorts. Pricey all the way down to cheap ass saltines. Kinda like the very bourbon taste test I am attempting to conduct. Hmmph...
Sorry NO Scotch or Canada stuff...not this time anyway. :)
Respectfully,
Ron

imbibehour
11-01-2010, 14:09
Serious about the whole cracker thing....and I know this is getting really egghead in nature...but is there a particular cracker anyone might suggest?

Are you looking for something to cleanse your pallate or just eat on?

If it's the pallate cleansing thing (like say in a wine tasting idea) any kind of just plain white dry cracker will do (no salt), or just plain white baguette (bread).

I don't bother with this when I taste Bourbon that's just me though. Come to thing of it I don't even do much of the cracker/white bread thing when I do wine tastings either ... :skep:

Now for food pairing if you are talking about eating crackers to go with the Bourbon I am already thinking of a nice wheat cracker topped with some Monocacy ash goat cheese and Wild Turkey RB. Look out this guy is out of control now... :lol:

mmm cheese and crackers... but hey... I could talk about food all day..

StraightBoston
11-01-2010, 16:32
When I do comparison tastings, I use "Simply Naked" pita chips, slivered almonds, or bread -- don't want any salt or seasonings to get in the way of the flavors, but water alone isn't enough to clear out my tastebuds. Remember to have a bite of your palate-cleanser before the first sample to keep things even!

SMOWK
11-01-2010, 16:40
This "palate cleanser" idea is something I never do. I think I'll have to change that and see what happens.

B.B. Babington
11-01-2010, 17:25
time is a palate cleanser. if doing rapid tests, water works okay and neatral cracker/bread works okay but can pick up a yeasty taste. I prefer moving from mellow to stronger, no worries. tonight I went from basic weller to EC18 to new Woodford Maple so no worries.

raquel's idea of mixing in a canadian and representative scotch throws yet another curve.

you're going to get so many ideas you'll have a challenge trying to decide what to do. Your buds are going to love you.

imbibehour
11-01-2010, 19:03
Everyone does it differently, I purposely do not use water in any tastings (what I mean is when I move to tasting a different Bourbon, not rinsing my mouth with water) because I find it will dilute whatever I am tasting next (beer, wine, Bourbon etc..). But everyone is different.

I add water usually later and find different things later, unless of course the proof is just way too high. I added some water slowly with a dropper to some Wild Turkey Rare Breed and a big sweet tobacco leaf component came out that was not there before without the water... excellent sensation...

Before I begin though I make sure I haven't drank or ate anything in the past hour preferably 2. And hey... don't brush your teeth before hand HA HA... (just had to say it... orange juice anyone!).

The most important thing I think is...

take

your

time.....

Really just sit back and enjoy it. not hard ;) Get back to us and let us know how it went.

CorvallisCracker
11-04-2010, 11:18
As for packages, let's just say that for years I have to carry a concealed weapon permit with me every time I wear pants. But I've never owned a gun.

Many firearm enthusiasts are nomenclature nazis, insisting, for example, that a six-shooter be called a "revolver" and not a "pistol". Apparently one of these was a drill sargeant during WWII, who reportedly would make his recruits alternatively grab their Garand and their crotch while they chanted:

This is my rifle
this is my gun
this is for killing
this is for fun

Anyway, should we start calling you Dirk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirk)?

SherrieM
11-07-2010, 10:20
Did you consider Dry Fly Bourbon? Supposed to be released in December or January.

Bushape1
11-08-2010, 13:26
Dry Fly Bourbon....intersting. I've never heard of it. I will look into it.
The latest tasting revision line up looks like this,
Day one:
Pappy 20
JD Single Barrel
Noah's Mill
Knob Creek
Woodford Reserve (maple wood finish)
Day two:
Pappy 23
4 Roses Single Barrel
Black Maple Hill
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Basil Hayden

This leaves room for just one more each day. I am still not positive on a few things...but this is what I have so far.
I also like the Pita chip idea and will continue to search for a quality cracker as well.
It's coming together and by the time we all get there will be nothing short of stellar~!
Thanks again.
Respectfully,
Ron

CorvallisCracker
11-08-2010, 15:38
Dry Fly Bourbon....intersting. I've never heard of it. I will look into it.

Don't bother. It's the latest product from Dry Fly in Spokane WA. 30 months old and projected price to be about $80. Plus your chances of finding that in AZ are close to zero.

Not sure what the deal is on this SherrieM. New user here (newer than you) only one post, pluggin' the Dry Fly. No info at all on her profile page. :skep:

Bushape1
11-08-2010, 17:44
Thanks appreciate the heads up.
I accept I know little by comparison to many in these parts, but I assure you my intentions are sincere. I am genuinely looking to learn and hopefully have a bit of fun with friends along the way.
Any further thoughts on the line up I have as listed above?
Like I said...still room for one each day as well as any suggestions as to details on how it should go down. I've never done anything of this sort or at least this structured toward a given result. I've tried a ton of stuff over the years but never set aside a time and place to line up some heavy hitters and get the uncalibrated pallets perspective.
Much thanks again.
Respectfully,
Ron

SMOWK
11-08-2010, 17:47
I am genuinely looking to learn and hopefully have a bit of fun with friends along the way.

Be ready to accept the fact that most of your friends probably won't care, and just want to get drunk. I've come across that too many times with friends of mine and good bottles of bourbon. In the future, I always remember to reach for the bottom shelf of the bunker when heading to a party at their house.

Bushape1
11-09-2010, 07:24
Actually my friends are fairly interested in this deal.
I think they are on board with it all and even willing to bring a little of whatever we might need.
Like myself they too would like to know more about quality beverages but like most don't know where to start or really want to make the time and put out the effort to set it all up. I am reasonably convinced that as it pertains to this taste test they won't just be Bonging the Pappy 20 and mixing the Pappy 23 with Dr. Pepper just to get blasted when we're done.
Although as I type that it's actually making me laugh because there was a time in the very begining that may have been a real possibility. Now days...it's more about doing something a little different, maybe learning something about what we like and don't like and when we are all done each day with the tasting....GRAB A NEWCASTLE or 3 and kick back and discuss it...among other things.
Respectfully,
Ron

kickert
11-09-2010, 08:25
The updated list looks great. If you are looking to add one more each day I would go with Evan Williams Single Barrel and Elmer T. Lee.

B.B. Babington
11-11-2010, 16:26
...and mixing the Pappy 23 with Dr. Pepper just to get blasted ...
Well, I've not thought of adding knife or firearm to the mix but...
This whole project sounded so much fun I'm doing one myself, sort of. I'm opening up the bunker to a bunch of buds next week.

Bushape1
11-12-2010, 07:25
Wait a minute now...I said we prolly wouldn't be mixing Pappy 23 with Dr. Pepper....that's just stupid.
Knives and Firearms however are ALWAYS a welcome addition~!
Seriously....One of my best buds that will be there is "The knife guy" and owns numerous Strider knives.
(I only have one) Great stuff check'em out.
As for guns....don't get me started....way too many cool ones among us to mention.
(None used while sampling beverages of course, but still great to have)
Please post the results of your shindig. What all gets brought out etc...& I'd personally be interested to know if your buds getting this opportunity are "normal guys" or if their pallet is a bit more advanced....My group by no means will be experts and will only have a score sheet I made up to grade each taste in front of them. But as far as being "Bourbon drinkers" they are not. Which for me is one reason I am doing this....to find out what is REALLY GOOD to basically the non-bourbon drinker is interesting to me.
That and it's just gonna be way good find to do.
Please drop some details when you get done & have FUN~!
Respectfully,
Ron

B.B. Babington
11-18-2010, 21:44
my experiment, already planning the next one. this was fun!

thinking wood influence and sampling some different representative flavors and stuff I sipped recently. BT white dog, catoctin creek mosby, pappy 20, WT tradition 14yo, saz 18, stagg, wlw, crown XR, bowman single barrel, woodford seasoned oak, woodford maple, yamazaki 12yo, yamazaki 18yo, glenmorangie 18yo, EC 18 yo, glenlivet nadurra, glenlivet french oak, and maybe a couple others I don't remember.

I'm a rube. My two favs this night were nadurra and woodford maple.

My friends's favs were each one, I like my friends!

beaver
11-19-2010, 19:29
I’ve tried Dry Fly Distillery’s other spirits and they are rated very high. In fact Dry Fly Distilling won Best Vodka Double Gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2009.

callmeox
11-19-2010, 19:33
I’ve tried Dry Fly Distillery’s other spirits and they are rated very high. In fact Dry Fly Distilling won Best Vodka Double Gold at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition in 2009.

Wow, best vodka?

CorvallisCracker
11-19-2010, 19:40

Say, are you a friend of Sherrie's?

imbibehour
11-19-2010, 21:58
Wow, best vodka?

was that pear or bubblegum flavored?

sorry I couldn't resist...

nblair
11-20-2010, 09:24
Say, are you a friend of Sherrie's?

Seriously. Remind me to never buy a bottle of Dry Fly.

Bushape1
11-22-2010, 09:50
Yeah....Dry Fly is prolly a No Go for me as well.
A little too Ham Handed in the way it's being presented.
Not that "Sherrie" isn't a nice person.....:grin:
So in trying to do a bit of prep work for my shindig I went out this past weekend and bought some Fitz b.i.b. no tax tape on it and Old Weller Antique 107.
Please keep in mind I know very little and am here to learn...
I cracked them both on Friday night and found the Weller to be much better. I am not at all well versed in the history or Old Fitz and which versions might be better than the next other than what I try to learn here.
I just rarely see any Fitz here in AZ so thought I would pick it up and give it a go. The Weller Antique was just more to my liking...it had a more pleasing smell and taste. I added a smidge of water to each and the Weller got even better. The Fitz was about the same. Not sure what's up. I'm just such a Rook at this stuff I likely am missing something & or just don't have near the pallet of others here. Any thoughts?
Respectfully,
Ron

Bushape1
11-24-2010, 09:17
So I live in AZ. We have NO Binny's. I've never even heard of it til coming here.
I finally went to their site....HOLY CRAP~! My God Man....
Very impressive if they indeed have all that on the shelf.
I would suggest anyone new to this place or just curious about "what's out there" go to their site and pull up the bourbon they stock. Many of them have a decent review that gives new guys like me some sort of clue as to what stuff is suppose to taste like or perhaps what to look for in tasting it. I'm just saying....without being a subscriber to a magazine dedicated to booze & not knowing any place local like this to go in and ask their site does an ok job of providing rooks like me some basic info. I spend between 30 minutes and 2 hours a day searching this place for info I found there in fairly short order. Just a well put together list of notes & pictures of the higher quality offerings out there. I could find no such list with pics here. Not that this place isn't the oracle of knowledge for bourbon lovers cause it is, I'm just sayin that in one spot I found a ton of info on their 12 or so pages of burbons. I am going to suggest my friends check it out. Not that the good folks here wouldn't answer any and all questions I wanted to ask...it's just that often I don't even know what to ask. Now having looked at what all they offer and notes on some of them I have some much more specific questions I can try & hunt down answers to...make sense? I know this likely sounds insane to the veterans around here...but think of the new guys...plus a picture is always a good thing. Gives folks an idea of what to look for.
There's just shit there I've never heard of that gets reviews that makes it sound like drinking this product is equivelant to riding the Space Shuttle while getting a lap dance from Gina Carano. How can ya not try that??
I mean heck Jefferson's Presidential Select sounds like nirvana in a cup....& maybe it is....but I never heard of it until an hour ago. What's a man to do? Gonna try and check out the Gazebo over the long weekend at some point and see if I can throw out a few rapid fire questions in an effort to calirfy a few things. This place rocks~! Never would of heard of Binny's without it much less ever given a thought to Nirvana in a cup.
Respectfully,
Ron

smokinjoe
11-24-2010, 12:02
Googling Gina Carano....Googling Gina Carano... Images....Ah, nice....:D

By the way Ron, your post is a textbook example that you are exhibiting the initial symptoms of the affliction we know as "Whiskirexia Nervosa". Ranting wildly about bourbons you didn't know existed previously, foaming at the mouth, and extreme bottle envy. This will rapidly accelerate to the full blown condition, that you might be interested to read more on, here: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11206&highlight=nervosa

Welcome. You have a support group, here.

:toast:

Bushape1
11-24-2010, 13:34
Thank you kind sir.....I feel like my head is about to explode with some of this stuff.
I just e mailed my buddy we're heading out this Saturday to go pick up a few more items for the big taste test play off.
He doesn't quite get it......but give me time.....give me time.
Respectfully,

Ron

Bushape1
12-02-2010, 10:55
Here's the latest on what will FOR SURE be in the Taste Test Play Off:
Pappy 15
Pappy 20
Pappy 23
Woodford Maple Wood Finish
Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Four Roses Single Barrel
J.D. Single Barrel
Noah's Mill
Basil Hayden
This is what is already acquired and is done deal ready to go.
Not sure the best way to divide them up...still thinking about the actual daily line-up.
I am still looking for Black Maple Hill & will likely pick up Knob Creek as well.
That gives me 10 or 11 total. I need 12 to do 6 a day with the top 3 from each day moving on to the finals.
Still kicking around a few options & am open to suggestions.
79 days left until this week long extravaganza takes place. Plenty of time and if I can continue to pick up helpful hints from you good folks I have no doubt this will be not only fun but hopefully interesting in the results.
Getting this all together has been pretty cool I have to admit. I am really looking forward to partaking as well as having a front row seat for the show down on day 3. Thanks again - This place rocks~!
Respectfully,
Ron

Bushape1
01-05-2011, 07:34
Over the holidays I finally tried some Knob Creek.
To be honest I didn't care for it all that much. I also got to finally try some LOT B. A Christmas gift from a good friend.
In sort of a prep for the big taste test next month my buddy and I did a little test with:
Old Weller Antique VS Knob Creek VS LOT B
My buddy really liked the Old Weller and I REALLY liked the LOT B.
Knob Creek was neither of our favorite. But the scoring system and format were tested and seem acceptable except for one thing, I feel the need to add a half point to the score sheet. Now it is set up like this:
0 = Bad
1 = Not Good
2 = Good
3 = Very Good
4 = Excellent
But we need to have half point scoring of 2.5 or 3.5 to attempt to make it easier on folks and to be more accurate. I felt really challenged just doing a taste test with 3 bourbons. This deal I have coming up is 6 on day one and 6 on day 2 with the top 3 from each day competing in the finals on day 3. The need for half point scoring just seemed very apparent at least to me when I tried to decipher the code of the 3 we compared.
I personally LOVED the LOT B. Thought it was most excellent. In fact I ended up killing half the bottle just on ice that night. Good times.
In any case I have much more I want to learn before we head out so I will continute to search. As usual ANY input is appreciated.
Respectfully,
Ron

Bushape1
01-26-2011, 08:39
Here's another update:
I am now about 3 weeks from conducting this test.
Here is the complete list of bourbon that will be present and used in the taste test:

1) J.D. Single Barrel
2) Knob Creek
3)Noah’s Mill
4) Basil Hayden
5) Pappy 15
6) Pappy 20
7) Pappy 23
8) Makers Mark 46
9) Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Maple Wood Finish
10) Four Roses Single barrel
11) Black Maple Hill
12) Wild Turkey Rare Breed

The scoring set up will be:
0 = Bad
1 = Not Good
2 = Good
3 = Very Good
4 = Excellent

With the possibility of half point scoring of 2.5 or 3.5 to attempt to make it easier to be more accurate.
6 – 1/2 ounce pours each day for 2 days with the top 3 scores each day advancing to the finals on day 3.
A little unsalted crackers & water is all that is allowed between samples.
If I could get any input on how to break up the 12 bourbons by day I would appreciate it.
I would like to try and give as close to 50/50 representation as possible when it comes to types, quality and cost each day.
I'm Really digging this place. Thanks in advance.
Respectfully,
Ron

silverfish
01-26-2011, 08:57
I am now about 3 weeks from conducting this test.
Here is the complete list of bourbon that will be present and used in the taste test:

Hey Ron,

Looks like you have a great line-up - I would love to be a part of
the tasting panel for this event!

I haven't tried some of those you've included so I can't offer any
suggestions as to groupings but I'm sure someone can give you
a few pointers.

kickert
01-26-2011, 09:40
Man, there are so many ways to divide it up. Since you are doing a final round, I think I would divide it up so that the standard bourbons are one day and the more esoteric whiskeys are another day. That way you could get best of each class and then see how they stand next to each other. That being said, I would probably divide it like this:

Day 1:
Knob Creek
Noah's Mill
Basil Haden
Pappy 20
4RSB
BMH

Day 2:
JDSB
Pappy 23
Pappy 15
MM46
WRMDC
WTRB

*Obviously some of these are more esoteric than others. Pappy 23 b/c its the oldest, Pappy 15 and WTRB because they are the only ones over 100 proof.

Bushape1
01-26-2011, 10:10
Really appreciate the input. I like the way you have the daily lineup as well.
I just am a tad concerned with overwhelming "regular guys" with to much to taste.
Any advice for what to tell people to help them be able to differentiate from one to the next?
Tuff proposition for a total newbie I know...but then again that is one of the main reasons for the test...
To find out what regular folks like best regardless of cost....if I can anyway.

Respectfully,
Ron

SMOWK
01-26-2011, 16:14
Really appreciate the input. I like the way you have the daily lineup as well.
I just am a tad concerned with overwhelming "regular guys" with to much to taste.
Any advice for what to tell people to help them be able to differentiate from one to the next?
Tuff proposition for a total newbie I know...but then again that is one of the main reasons for the test...
To find out what regular folks like best regardless of cost....if I can anyway.

Respectfully,
Ron

From my experience, it will be no easy task just getting them to pay attention and even try them all without just gulping it down, chasing it with a beer, and turning on SportCenter.

Bushape1
01-27-2011, 07:52
I hear ya....trust me I had that concern as well. I am confident they are gonna be up for this though.
They each have bought a bottle with their own cash so that helps a little.
Plus we are at this place for a full week and there's plenty of time to get blasted and watch Sportscenter.
It's a pretty curious group and I'll do my best to keep it organized and gather the info.
I totally see how trying to do anything like this in one night could be real tuff.
Any advice you think I should be sure to pass on to them just before they start their tasting?
Helpful hints for the newbies on what to look for or how to get the most out of what they are drinking?
This is gonna rock & I appreciate all the input.
Respectfully,
Ron

silverfish
01-27-2011, 08:17
The Bardstown Whiskey Society offers a Tasting Kit (http://www.bardstownwhiskeysociety.com/tastingkit/) with tasting mats,
note journals, materials needed and "what not to do" tips. The generic
tasting journal (http://www.bardstownwhiskeysociety.com/tastingkit/documents/journal-generic.pdf) (caution - PDF) might be of some use to you if you want
to print a few, write in the product name (or bottle 1, 2, etc. if you're
doing a blind test) and xerox a bunch up for your group.

p_elliott
01-27-2011, 08:41
What are you doing for glasses for this tasting?

SMOWK
01-27-2011, 09:32
The Bardstown Whiskey Society offers a Tasting Kit (http://www.bardstownwhiskeysociety.com/tastingkit/) with tasting mats,
note journals, materials needed and "what not to do" tips. The generic
tasting journal (http://www.bardstownwhiskeysociety.com/tastingkit/documents/journal-generic.pdf) (caution - PDF) might be of some use to you if you want
to print a few, write in the product name (or bottle 1, 2, etc. if you're
doing a blind test) and xerox a bunch up for your group.

Thanks for the links. Are there any graphic designers on the board that would want to make up some mats with an SB.com theme? That would be kinda cool.

HHBOURBONMAN
01-27-2011, 12:06
I know I've obviously got a bias here, and this is may come off as sour grapes, but are you really going to taste all those whiskeys, from all those distilleries (including of course 5 that are not distillery bottlings at all but products of bottlers) without one whiskey from Heaven Hill? Not one from the second largest holders of Bourbon, the owners of 50% of the world's bourbon over 8 years old, producers of the current SF World Spirits Competition "Best Bourbon" brand Elijah Craig 18, (hell, we probably made a couple of the bottler's brands you are tasting)? I can remain silent no longer...

kilrain
01-27-2011, 13:47
I know I've obviously got a bias here, and this is may come off as sour grapes, but are you really going to taste all those whiskeys, from all those distilleries (including of course 5 that are not distillery bottlings at all but products of bottlers) without one whiskey from Heaven Hill? Not one from the second largest holders of Bourbon, the owners of 50% of the world's bourbon over 8 years old, producers of the current SF World Spirits Competition "Best Bourbon" brand Elijah Craig 18, (hell, we probably made a couple of the bottler's brands you are tasting)? I can remain silent no longer...

I will be at Bushape1's "tasting" and, if you'll suggest something from your distillery, I'll gladly pick up a bottle providing it isn't ridiculously expensive.

SMOWK
01-27-2011, 13:51

I will be at Bushape1's "tasting" and, if you'll suggest something from your distillery, I'll gladly pick up a bottle providing it isn't ridiculously expensive.

All it took was a simple suggestion.

HHBOURBONMAN
01-27-2011, 14:23
A simple suggestion is always a bit complicated when it comes from a non-objective source, but I certainly appreciate the spirit in which the comment was made! Kilrain--any of the HH brands that were suggested earlier on in the thread could fit in nicely with this line up: Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, Elijah Craig 12yo Small Batch, Elijah Craig 18yo Single Barrel, even our Rittenhouse Rye or Benrheim Wheat Whiskey if you want to do a deeper dive on the grain component. I just feel such a broad and representative line up has to have Parker and Craig Beam's--as well as Jimmy Russell, Jim Rutledge's, et al--imprint on it. Thanks to all for bearing with me!

HHBOURBONMAN
01-27-2011, 14:24
Or even our Bernheim Wheat Whiskey, I meant to say (tsk, tsk!)...

kilrain
01-27-2011, 15:46
A simple suggestion is always a bit complicated when it comes from a non-objective source, but I certainly appreciate the spirit in which the comment was made! Kilrain--any of the HH brands that were suggested earlier on in the thread could fit in nicely with this line up: Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage, Elijah Craig 12yo Small Batch, Elijah Craig 18yo Single Barrel, even our Rittenhouse Rye or Benrheim Wheat Whiskey if you want to do a deeper dive on the grain component. I just feel such a broad and representative line up has to have Parker and Craig Beam's--as well as Jimmy Russell, Jim Rutledge's, et al--imprint on it. Thanks to all for bearing with me!

I checked out the "how it's made" videos on the HH site, pretty cool stuff. I will see about getting a bottle from your suggestions to add to the line-up.

SMOWK
01-27-2011, 16:25
Something from HH should definitely play a part. Having representations from different distilleries rather than the same stuff at a different age would give your buddies a much wider range of flavor profiles.

CorvallisCracker
01-27-2011, 16:29
Hey HH B-Man -

You seem to be making a pretty unambiguous claim of affiliation with Heaven Hill. What, exactly, is the affiliation?

FWIW, I'll be your BFF if you can contribute any useful information to this thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15245).

Thanks!

Bushape1
01-27-2011, 17:44
HHBMAN Thanks VERY Much for the input. Like the thread says....
I am a new guy to this world & to be sure I know this will be a bit nutty..
I've said that all the long....
I'm just doing my best to offer something to some of my best buds that they may not make the time to do for themselves or even ever do again.
Then again...it may turn one of them into a hardcore bourbon lover for life. Ya never know unless ya try.
So please forgive the uneducated selection for the lineup....I was just trying to grab a few of what knew or heard the most about.
I'm down with whatever....& if Mr. Kilrain would be nice enough to step up & grab one of the mentioned absentee selections that would rock~!
For what it's worth I will be posting pics & actual scoring results here shortly after the tasting.
Don't claim to be any kind of expert...just a regular dude setting out to expose the masses to one of the greatest beverages on earth.
This place ROCKS~! Thanks for the input, keep it coming.
Respectfully,
Ron

Bushape1
01-27-2011, 18:25
What are you doing for glasses for this tasting?
I'm still not positive on this matter.
I don't have 2 dozen Glencairn glasses to put out, put have a couple other ideas.
Any suggestions welcome.
Respectfully,
Ron

silverfish
01-27-2011, 21:29
I know I've obviously got a bias here, ...
I can remain silent no longer...

Give me a break. You have eleven posts in seven years. He posted
and asked for input and members responded. This thread was started
in Oct. 2010 and you're just now calling for some "objectivity"?

I can understand if you are unable to post as frequently as some but
don't take offense if no one suggested a HH product.

p_elliott
01-28-2011, 05:35

Amen............Brother

Bushape1
01-28-2011, 05:38

Preach On Brother Silverfish...Preach on~!
I had a similar thought but chose not to say it.
I do genuinely value any opinions and am dead serious about giving this tasting my best shot to get the clearest results.
I take what everyone says in consideration and value it all.
Trouble is ya can't buy them all and as much fun as it would be to try,
ya certainly can't taste them all in one sitting.
So I am doing the best I can with the resources I have.
This place Kicks ASS~!~
Respectfully,
Ron

Bushape1
01-28-2011, 09:04
Bear with me I have a proposition.
To date I have personally spent over $500 on different bourbon for this taste test.
That’s totally cool with me. There are no doubt numerous other quality bourbons that will not be in the mix for this event.
Like I said I can’t buy them all. However I have an idea….and this will likely seem even more eccentric.
I respect Mr. HHBRBMN’s point of view and his opinion of the Heaven Hill product which is obviously very high.
Having said that…here’s the situation. 7 of us are doing this test. Regular guys with from all backgrounds but none are bourbon experts.
If Heaven Hill is that good (and it may well be) there’s one way to find out:
This test will take the previously mentioned 12 bourbons and eventually find one that scores the best among the 7 of us.
In fact the winner will have basically scored the highest TWICE among this group.
IF Heaven Hill is that good I propose Mr. HHBRBMN send me a bottle of what he thinks is the very best of the line and I will then put it in a head to head test with the winner of this event. I am not a cheapskate nor am I just trolling for free booze. I’m a purists in an odd way.
The fastest car is the fastest car right??
While this is in no way that simple there is a way to tell which is most liked by normal guys & this test will determine that among the bourbons tasted.
Like I said I can’t put 50 bottles on the table and expect to get anything done.
However I CAN take one that is said to be the best by a 7 year site member that appears to have an affiliation with the business that makes a quality product and have a one on one throw down with the best of the 12 we sample in this test. I say let the chips fall where they may.
Wouldn’t you all wanna know? I know I do.
There’s a million great suggestions in this place….& adding Heaven Hill is likely one more great suggestion….but I feel ultimately whatever one I or Mr. Kilrain would go buy might be viewed as the wrong choice if it lost.
However if HHBRBMN sends me one that is his pick of the litter then there’s no excuses. It is what it is.
It’s the Bugatti Veyron vs The McLaren F1. You say this is best & I say that is best. Well line that son of a B!tch up and let’s see who wins.
This is a blind taste test & will be conducted with as much integrity as I can possibly put into it.
Personally my money’s on the Pappy 20 to take it all. But I could be wrong.
I’ve never even tried Heaven Hill. But the point is I am willing to give it the top slot in the finals to go head to head with the winner. Basically a Superfight With heaven Hill getting a first round bye. All this is in the interest of science. :grin:
And to take advantage of a rare opportunity to gather honest data from regular guys as to which bourbon they like best.
So what do ya say HHBRBMN??....... You in? P.M. me if you are & I will gladly give you my address.
Please take this post in the spirit with which it is intended. That of friendly competition & the quest to find honest answers.
I assure you there is no venom in any of my above words, nor is any disrespect intended.
I am 100% serious about this and will be posting as much data as possible along the way and upon completion.
Thanks
Respectfully,
Ron

kickert
01-28-2011, 09:15
I wouldn't stress out about it too much. As was pointed out, I am pretty dang sure you already have some HH juice in your line up.

And, as has been pointed out before, your lineup is not the most balanced (i.e. 1/4 of the selections being Pappys), but I don't think that matters either.

What you are going to be doing is sure to be fun and educational. I am sure it will spark an appreciation in those who participate. It can only tell you which bourbon of the 12 is enjoyed most by your particular group of friends. Everyone here would have given you a slightly different list of 12 and that just shows you there is no standard by which you can measure.

Have fun, drink good whiskey, and hopefully at the end of the day everyone will have enjoyed themselves.

callmeox
01-28-2011, 09:42
Running people off this site seems to be a sport with some people on here.

SBOmarc
01-28-2011, 10:21
When is this Taste Test scheduled to go off?

Bushape1
01-28-2011, 10:43
We arrive at the KILLER house in Cally on Feb. 19th and will be there for 7 days. I suspect round one of the taste test playoff will happen the next day. Feb. 20th. Each day I will post results of what was tasted and how it scored among the group.
Hopefully I didn't run anyone off this site...that certainly was not even close to my intent.
Mr. Kickert your point is well taken & right on the money.
A fun, educational time with friends is top priority.
Plus who doesn't love a little competition? It's like betting 10 bucks on the game...
Somehow it just makes it more interesting.
Hence the playoff set up, another idea that came up organically thru this very thread.
I also totally dug the placemat idea mentioned a few posts back. But am not sure where to hunt any up that aren't cheesy.
Thx again.
Respectfully,
Ron

smokinjoe
01-28-2011, 15:51

I don't think HHBOURBONMAN was taking offense. He was simply stating his self-admitted bias and opinion, in suggesting that a Heaven Hill whiskey should be represented in the tasting. Larry may have just a few posts on SB.Com, but he is a friend to many, here. Larry does a lot of his contributing to SB.Com behind the scenes, with donations to SB events, special tours of HH, and is a valued resource for a lot of great information on HH and the bourbon industry in general.

fishnbowljoe
01-28-2011, 16:35
It's all good Bushape1. Who give's a rat's ass as long as you have fun? :grin: That's what it's all about. Having some fun and good bourbon with friends, and sharing your experiences. Wish I was going with you. :rolleyes: Keep the updates coming. Cheers! Joe

Bushape1
01-28-2011, 16:41
I would love to try some HH product, I just haven't got around to it yet. Like the thread says...I'M A NEW GUY.
Only so much time available....If I would have had seen a post like HHBOURBONMAN's a month or 2 ago I would have been all over getting a bottle for the trip.
It's just kinda late in the game and like I said I'm already in $500+ myself for bourbon on this excursion.
I'm totally open to giving it a whirl though. The input is appreciated. If not for now, for down the road.
Respectfully,
Ron

Bushape1
01-28-2011, 16:46
It's all good Bushape1. Who give's a rat's ass as long as you have fun? :grin: That's what it's all about. Having some fun and good bourbon with friends, and sharing your experiences. Wish I was going with you. :rolleyes: Keep the updates coming. Cheers! Joe
Thanks Joe I will~!
You have my word I will post here whatever info of substance I can gather from this little decent in to personal madness.
Either way it's gonna be a gas~!
Respectfully,
Ron

silverfish
01-28-2011, 21:24
IF Heaven Hill is that good I propose Mr. HHBRBMN send me a bottle of what he thinks is the very best of the line and I will then put it in a head to head test with the winner of this event. I am not a cheapskate nor am I just trolling for free booze. I’m a purists in an odd way.

Put up or shut up. Good on you, Ron.

I don't think HHBOURBONMAN was taking offense. He was simply stating his self-admitted bias and opinion, in suggesting that a Heaven Hill whiskey should be represented in the tasting. Larry may have just a few posts on SB.Com, but he is a friend to many, here. Larry does a lot of his contributing to SB.Com behind the scenes, with donations to SB events, special tours of HH, and is a valued resource for a lot of great information on HH and the bourbon industry in general.

I don't know HH/Larry but if you say he's OK, then fine. My problem
is his "complaint" after the fact. To set up a tasting representing all
distilleries/bottlers is a daunting task, especially for a new guy. Ron
asked for input and (I assume) decided on the bottles based on the
feedback he received. To come in months later when he has a line-up
set and blast him because he didn't include one of your products isn't
quite fair.

Elsewhere one SB (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14164&page=2) is a discussion on customer relations. Perhaps
HH/Larry might take Ron up on his offer. My impression is his
(Ron's) group aren't "snobs" (aka: aficionados) like some of us
so they might not be swayed by names but decide based on
taste. A perfect opportunity to at best get some new customers
and at worst get unbiased feedback as to how your product
compares to some others.

p_elliott
01-28-2011, 23:26

Now that you have jogged my my memory as to Larry is I offer my apologies. But he could have chimed in much sooner. Larry post more often.

Bushape1
02-04-2011, 12:32
I just broke down and bought 6 Glencairn glasses and 6 watch glass covers for them.
I have read a lot on this and get mixed reviews as to if it really helps or makes a difference.
But I figure no sense in half assing it at this point. I'd rather get them and not have it be any issue.
I had glasses that in my opinion would have been just fine...
I just want to provide the most chance for people to be able to smell all the goodness in each taste.
Like I said...it may not make any difference but it does to me and is now one less thing to be considered.
Good glasses with the little glass cap to hold in all the smell until a person's ready to sample it...sure why not!
Plus I needed some of these anyway. They should be here by next Wednesday.
I'll let ya know what I think when they get here.
I shall throw a little LOT B in one to try it out.
I remember getting asked a while back what type of glasses we would be using and it stuck with me that I didn't feel 100% comfortable with my choice.
So here we are...buying more stuff for the decent in to madness that is the taste test playoff.
I'm also interested in getting some sort of cool place mat set up.
Just not sure where to snag a good one. Still got a tiny bit of time. Either way though I think we're good.
Any placemat ideas welcome.
Thanks again for making this site the huge resource it is~!
Respectfully,
Ron

kickert
02-04-2011, 13:19
Dude... the suspense is killing me... I can't wait to here how this goes.

There is just something about being intentional about enjoying fine libations. Even if were doing a tasting of various ginger ales, it is always a blast to do a wide-ranging side-by-side.

Please keep us posted.

-bk

SMOWK
02-04-2011, 13:37
I must admit, I thought this thread would fizzle out, but it has turned into quite an interesting read. You seem to have put a lot of time and effort into this, and most importantly, taken some of the great suggestions by SBer's and brought them to fruition.

I say the Glencairn's are a good idea, but I've found that a regular small wine glass is just about the same. And you can pick them up by the dozen for cheap at a WalMart (Kick myself for mentioning the place :lol:).

For place mats, design something in MSPaint or Photoshop and laminate it. Or don't laminate it so you can write on it. Cheap, disposable, and totally customizable.

farmboy238
02-04-2011, 15:07
All I want to know is HOW do I become a friend of yours !!!!!!!!

Bushape1
02-04-2011, 20:57
The short answer is:
It usually takes a min of 15+ years and a LOT of effort.
(read: patients, money, guns, & twisted sense of humor)
But I'd like to think it's worth it. Myself & my inner circle have known each other for a very long time and
have been partaking in this annual gathering in one form or another for 10 years now.
We look forward to this all year and to say we all bring something different to the table would be an huge understatement.
That's what makes it so cool. I totally don't mind trying to set up things like this. It really is good fun....PLUS...
As odd as this will sounds I actually believe what I said earlier....I'm really interested to see what bourbon regular guys like best.
Sure we'll get blasted while there, but this taste test playoff will actually be done as accurate and honest as I can make it and they are all on board with it.
There's a curiosity among us & we all wanna know who wins? We wanna know if our favorite scored the highest...and if so was the winner really $25 a bottle Knob Creek?? It really is one of those things that ya won't know unless you try. So we will do our best to hunt this down and kill it. Of course having a great time while doing it...but whatever info is able to be extracted from this sort of thing I will get. And of course share it here once complete.
I dig the laminated place mat idea...cheap and easy = good. I just aint much of an artist.
Thanks for all the input.
Respectfully,
Ron

silverfish
02-05-2011, 06:25
Any placemat ideas welcome.

Did you see my suggestions in post #53 back on page 6 (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14813&page=6)?
Would the "generic" mat suit your needs?

Bushape1
02-05-2011, 17:49
Yeah I did check them out, thx.
The deal is I already have printed out score sheets for each taste that I really like.
There will be individual sheets for each sample that I will number with the hidden number on the bottom of the glass after each review is given.
Only I will know the # of the bottle each person is reviewing.
That way there will be no chance of "I hated # 2" or "Really liked #5" etc. Being discussed among the group to taint the opinion of the next person.
As far as place mats go I guess I am looking for some sort of cool factor vs total functionality.
I likely will try to scribble something up and have a guy I know that is not going that can draw or use the computer way better than I make the finished product then make copies and get them laminated. I really do check out any suggestions I get from around here.
Like I said this place is a wealth of information. Thx again.
Respectfully,
Ron

cgbakerjr
02-05-2011, 20:57
While I'm quite jealous of the line up and would love to participate, I find it funny how far you've deviated from your original intention of "I’d really like to know if a regular guy prefers the $20 a bottle stuff over the $200 a bottle stuff." Based on your current line up your lowest price point is Knob Creek, which is still considered an ultra-premium for Beam, and the rest fall into the ultra-ultra-premium.
(I won't even mention how no one seemed to care about your repeated notion of seeing what "regular guys" like while jumping on someone else for calling member of the board snobs...which essentially is the same comment reworded).
If you haven't already purchased all of your bourbons I'd suggest trying to get some of the lower to middle tier to pit against your high ends. Maybe Weller 12 or OWA to pit against your three PVW & M46. Toss some Bulleit or OGD against your FRSB & Basil Hayden to see how other high ryes work. Just seems like you are getting the best of the best to have some guys who don't even know the basics of bourbon to taste.
At the very least, substitute Woodford Reserve for the WRMC Maple finish since as an employee I'd really hate to see our product finish dead last. On that notion, while I'm happy to see some JDSB, it really doesn't seem to belong in the lineup.

This wasn't intended as nasty as it seems when I re-read it but I'm too lazy to rewrite. I'm sure you'll have a great time and as I mentioned, anyone here would be envious to attend. Have fun.

Bushape1
02-05-2011, 22:47
JD Single barrel doesn't belong??
Interesting.....never heard that one.
AS I have said previously I don't doubt I could be more diverse or include others. But like I said you can't buy them all.
Interesting if you work for Woodford you wouldn't be thrilled that Maple Wood Finish was even included.
I feel if I would have included regular Woodford and it lost I would likely have heard "Well if you would have broke down and bought our Masters Collection product it likely would have killed the eventual winner."
I'm doing the best I can with the knowledge I have. I personally like Woodford. But in an effort to give "regualr guys" a chance to try something new I went with the Masters Collection Maple Wood Finish.
Like I said....doing the best I can. Can't put them all in.
Your point was taken though & I do appreciate the input.
Respectfully,
Ron

cgbakerjr
02-06-2011, 08:30
Just meant that JD isn't a bourbon, but it'll be interesting to see how the charcoal filtering helps it rank amongst the others. And as for the WRMC, I tried it for the first time last night and am not sure I'm a fan. Maybe my expectations were too high after last years Seasoned Oak. I was just half kidding as I wrote my post shortly after having a glass, but I suspect most will rate it low in comparison with the smoothness of some of your other offerings. Certainly appreciate seeing our products listed, and as mentioned think it's a pretty cool thing you're doing.

I didn't realize as I read the thread initially that it was started back in October. I wish one of my friends had the passion you did to introduce me to such an excellent sampling when I was first starting to try bourbons. I'm impressed as much as by the line up as I am by the planning that you put into it. Look forward to hearing the results.

Bushape1
02-06-2011, 08:52
Thanks man~! Your words are appreciated.
It's all good. I admit I know very little about bourbon and my friends know even less.
So I wanted to give them every opportunity to see if they like the stuff or can even remotely start to develop an appreciation for it.
I totally get JD Single Barrel is not technically a bourbon, but I felt it was important to included because most people think it is & it's a familiar name.
If it wins out....then I guess my friends technically don't like bourbon much at all. If it loses and the Woodford Master's collection wins...that opens up a whole new conversation in my mind.
I can always do another one of these down the road taking the winner or top 3 finishers and put them up against all the other suggestions I have got.
For this time though the lineup is pretty well set. I'm working on this whole place matt deal now....I can't draw for crap~!
Thanks again.
Respectfully,
Ron

SMOWK
02-06-2011, 09:40
JD could be a bourbon if it wanted to be. Remember, Ezra Brooks is charcoal filtered, and it is indeed a bourbon.

I really think you're going to find that these "regular guys" prefer the spirit with the least flavor. The one that is "easiest" to drink. Whiskey is a so-called acquired taste. This is why so many people start out on the path with the Canadians.

cgbakerjr
02-06-2011, 12:18
JD could be a bourbon if it wanted to be. Remember, Ezra Brooks is charcoal filtered, and it is indeed a bourbon.

Not really. JD & Dickel are filtered through charcoal prior to be putting in the barrel which is why they cannot be called bourbon. Ezra, and many others, are filtered through charcoal after the aging process. Thus, they are already bourbons before going through charcoal.

But yeah, I suppose it could be a bourbon if they modified their process...but then it wouldn't be JD.

callmeox
02-06-2011, 12:25
Not really. JD & Dickel are filtered through charcoal prior to be putting in the barrel which is why they cannot be called bourbon. Ezra, and many others, are filtered through charcoal after the aging process. Thus, they are already bourbons before going through charcoal.

But yeah, I suppose it could be a bourbon if they modified their process...but then it wouldn't be JD.

No offense, but this has been discussed here ad nauseum and the answer is...we will probably never know if the Lincoln County Process is a disqualifier. The only way to tell is if B-F or Dickel would submit an application to the TTB to call their stuff bourbon.

Until then, we have no clue how the regulators would rule on it.

SMOWK
02-06-2011, 13:17
I'm going to guess Basil H wins. Of all the ones listed I think it has the least intrusive flavor, and is a low proof.

Bushape1
02-06-2011, 21:34
1 vote Basil Hayden......interesting.
I've actually never had it so it's one I am looking forward to.

Respectfully,
Ron

snowrs
02-07-2011, 11:25
I am a newbie, and bought the small batch sampler, and did not care for the BH at all, I am not good at these tasting notes but to me it was sort of bland with more spice and wood, andnone of that sweetness andcarmel or vanilla that I enjoy. It also felt like it dried out my mouth again no clue as to how to sum that all up but those are my first impressions.

kickert
02-07-2011, 11:58
If I had to guess, I bet JD Single Barrel comes in first, followed by MM46. I think Pappy 23 will come in last with WTRB being next to last.

Bushape1
02-07-2011, 14:56
1 vote Basil Hayden, 1 vote JD Single barrel. Noted.
I'm still sticking with my first thought that Pappy 20 will take it.
But honestly having never had some of the others including the Makers Mark 46 or Basil Hayden it's anyone's game.
Respectfully,
Ron

squire
02-07-2011, 17:55
Looking forward to the group's findings Ron. Just think, next year you can pit the winner against 11 others not in the original group.

Bushape1
02-08-2011, 08:12
Good Idea. I was thinking maybe the top 2 from this year go against 10 newcomers next year.
But I can't look that far ahead right now, just trying to get through this one.
My glasses should be here today. Looking forward to giving them a try.
Dave at the Glencairn glass place was very helpful and seems like a good dude.
They shipped promptly and provided good tracking on my order.
So thumbs up so far on their site. One more good place I found through this site~!
Respectfully,
Ron

SMOWK
02-08-2011, 09:18
I'm still sticking with my first thought that Pappy 20 will take it.

If they are true bourbon newbies, the Pappy 20 and 23 should come in somewhere near the bottom.

p_elliott
02-08-2011, 09:45
Which one win's is going to depend dirrectly on what order they are tried in.

Bushape1
02-08-2011, 12:44
Interesting Mr. SMOWK....the reason I say that is I was a total newbie when I first tried Pappy 20 & I was totally WOW~! Smooth, great flavor & wonderful smell. That was at resturant. The 2nd time was at the Bellagio in Vegas where when I asked the bartender what bourbon he'd suggest and he said Pappy 20. I thought Hmm...I remember this stuff let's see if I was just loaded the first time or jaded by how much I spent....
Nope...still dug it the 2nd time. So much so I hunted down a bottle upon returning to Phoenix. That first bottle lasted less than 2 weeks I remember. (the wife was getting a tad concerned) :grin: In any case I do somewhat see where you're coming from....that perhaps they are too complex for the "regualr guy" to not only appreciate but truly enjoy? I can see that to an extent, and for what it's worth while I like the Pappy 23, I like the Pappy 20 more and it's VERY hard for me to describe why. I also REALLY like the Pappy 15. In any case Pappy 20 coming in "near the bottom" would shock the sh!t out of me. But you are the expert, I'm just greatfull for the input.
Also an interesting point made regarding order in which they are tried.
I had thought of this previously....but wasn't sure what order to put them in or if it mattered being that each sample is only a half ounce.
Always open to suggestions.
Thanks again.
Respectfully,
Ron

SMOWK
02-08-2011, 13:41
I'm no expert.:skep:

I find that the bourbons without a lot of flavor are the ones my friends rave about when tasted blind (keep in mind none of my friends are bourbon drinkers). Of course, all of them rave about the Pappy 20 when they know it's in the glass. It's kind of like the non-smoker that stumbles across a fake cuban cigar, they love 'em!

Great point about the order they're tried in.

kickert
02-08-2011, 14:40
In general you will want to go lowest proof to highest proof with some consideration for the boldness of the pour. A wheated bourbon should come before a ryed bourbon if the proofs are similar.

That is just a general recommendation to help keep your pallet the freshest possible.

squire
02-08-2011, 16:14
Ron if your tasters like whisky then I expect they will appreciate any good whisky that is not too far out there like, say, a heavily peated Scotch.

IowaJeff
02-09-2011, 08:26
For scientific accuracy, you could vary the order for each taster, but I think the fun of tasting the same thing with a group probably outweighs scientific considerations. :grin:

Bushape1
02-09-2011, 10:28
I actually prefer accuracy and was thinking of mixing the order of tasting each time each person samples.
Then I thought perhaps it might be better to have each person sample things in the exact same order
to take out the variation of proof vs wheat vs rye like previously mentioned.
My thought is to choose the order of tasting random litterally by rolling a die since I will have 6 samples.
If I roll a 5 that # bottle is up first followed by 6, then #1 #2 etc...
If at all possible I don't want to slant anything in favor of rye or wheat or low proof over high proof etc. Still working this out.
Appreciate the input.
Respectfully,
Ron

Josh
02-09-2011, 10:45
This one goes out to you Scott.

Just my two cents, again.

I think order can have a lot to do with how one tastes a whiskey (or beer or wine for that matter). I try to put younger and cheaper whiskeys earlier in a tasting so that they can be tasted for what they are instead of what they aren't. It's the same reason I hit the Beam Clermont "tour" first with people who are new to Bourbon. If we hit the Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center or Maker's Mark tours first, the Beam one would look pretty crummy by comparison. Go on Beam first, then HH, then MM and each one gets better and more complete. The same with the bourbons themselves.

CorvallisCracker
02-09-2011, 11:35
This one goes out to you Scott.

Thanks. I feel special¹.

If they are true bourbon newbies, the Pappy 20 and 23 should come in somewhere near the bottom.

Not necessarily. For Thanksgiving we and three other couples rented a beach house. The first night there I poured some VW Lot B for everyone. None of these folks were bourbon drinkers but all of them liked it. One, a SMS drinker, asked, "Where can I get this?"

1. While in junior high they told me I was "special" and put me in wood shop class. They realized they'd made a mistake when I constructed a Digi-comp (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digi-Comp_I) from hickory.

kickert
02-09-2011, 12:25
It's the same reason I hit the Beam Clermont "tour" first with people who are new to Bourbon.

Hey... wait a sec... are you calling me a newbie?

Josh
02-09-2011, 20:39
New to Bourbon tours, I meant. :lol:

SMOWK
02-10-2011, 22:17
Not necessarily. For Thanksgiving we and three other couples rented a beach house. The first night there I poured some VW Lot B for everyone. None of these folks were bourbon drinkers but all of them liked it. One, a SMS drinker, asked, "Where can I get this?"

If Lot B was in his line-up I would of said that was the winner instead of Basil Hayden. I don't think Lot B is comparable to PVW 20.

Bushape1
02-11-2011, 09:08
Interesting....I just finished my first bottle of LOT B.
X-mas gift from a buddy. Very much enjoyed it.
But I don't think it's "better" than Pappy 20. But that's just me, I'm a knucklehead & Don't claim to know much.
I gotta ask...in your opinion Mr. SMOWK why would LOT B beat out PVW20 in this taste test?
I mean you might be right...I'd just like to understand the logic.
Respectfully,
Ron

Josh
02-11-2011, 09:14
Dear Penthouse,

I never thought something like this would happen to me.

For Thanksgiving we and three other couples rented a beach house. The first night there I poured some VW Lot B for everyone. None of these folks were bourbon drinkers but all of them liked it. One, a SMS drinker, asked, "Where can I get this?"

kickert
02-11-2011, 09:15
Interesting....I just finished my first bottle of LOT B.
X-mas gift from a buddy. Very much enjoyed it.
But I don't think it's "better" than Pappy 20. But that's just me, I'm a knucklehead & Don't claim to know much.
I gotta ask...in your opinion Mr. SMOWK why would LOT B beat out PVW20 in this taste test?
I mean you might be right...I'd just like to understand the logic.
Respectfully,
Ron

I would agree with SMOWK. The 20 has more "bitter" tannic notes from the wood, while the 12 has more emphasis on the sweet vanilla/caramel notes from the wood. Sweetness is usually more palatable to a newbie than bitter. Just think of how most people drink wine. From Muscatos and reislings to chards, to pinots to merlots to cabs. I think that is a pretty typical progression.

Bushape1
02-11-2011, 10:34
Dude...thanks for the input. I guess it makes sense.
As for your description of the wine stuff....you might as well be speaking Klingon.
Wine = no for me. Don't like it, never have. Everything I know about wine I learned from that movie "Sideways" with Paul Giamati. Funny stuff.
And other than mixing my friends mom's wine with 7-up when I was in high school I've never found a wine I like. Just as well too...
Flippin bourbon takes most of my spare cash.
One added note...I'm bringing Pappy 15 as well. Based on what's been said recently...why won't that win??
Thanks again.
Respectfully,
Ron

kickert
02-11-2011, 11:29
One added note...I'm bringing Pappy 15 as well. Based on what's been said recently...why won't that win??[/COLOR]

I think the 15 is the optimum age in terms of maximizing sweetness and complexity and it would win in my book, but the high proof might initially turn some people off. If Pappy 15 was at 90 proof, I would slate it as my clear winner for your experiment.

Parkersback
02-11-2011, 17:36
I think the 15 is the optimum age in terms of maximizing sweetness and complexity and it would win in my book, but the high proof might initially turn some people off. If Pappy 15 was at 90 proof, I would slate it as my clear winner for your experiment.

I think Ben is spot on. The Pappy 15 is going to be too hot (especially if you just open it that night) for somewhat new bourbon drinkers to really enjoy it, let alone consider it the "best."

But if you brought a bottle that was 30 days old and half full, and then dropped the proof down to about 95, I think just about anyone who likes whiskey would be pretty enamored of it.

SMOWK
02-12-2011, 13:28

It goes back to what I said before. People new to whiskey usually like the one that is easiest to drink and lacks a really strong flavor.

SMOWK
02-12-2011, 13:30

ding ding ding. My thoughts exactly. :toast:

p_elliott
02-14-2011, 08:48

I think Ben is spot on. The Pappy 15 is going to be too hot (especially if you just open it that night) for somewhat new bourbon drinkers to really enjoy it, let alone consider it the "best."

But if you brought a bottle that was 30 days old and half full, and then dropped the proof down to about 95, I think just about anyone who likes whiskey would be pretty enamored of it.

ding ding ding. My thoughts exactly. :toast:

This is getting into some thread drift. Opening a bottle in advance or changing proof in advance is cheating. Water can be provided if tasters wish to change proof or clean their palate. This is his first tasting lets not confuse him.

Bushape1
02-14-2011, 09:51
Good point. I get what has been said about proof vs aging etc.
The only thing that will be allowed is the adding a tad of water.
And I will require if water is added to one it is added to them all for that person’s tasting.
Each person can choose, but in an effort to keep things as consistent as possible I decided if you add it to one,
you’re adding to them all.
Other than that, the previously mentioned unsalted crackers of a brand to be named later.
(I figure I’d buy them when we get there)
A bottle of water and 6 half ounce pours is all that will be in front of each person.
I’ve decided to line up the samples at random with only myself knowing what bottle each came from.
Upon each person’s taste & review of each I will gather the glass and their review sheet
which will have any notes on each and the score for the sample in question.
I will then write the person’s initials and the # bottle it came from on the sheet & file it away until the round is complete.
I actually had to print up more review sheets.
I thought I had enough, but when I did the math I ended up needing quite a few doing it this way.
But that’s cool, this way nobody will know what they liked or disliked until everyone is done with the entire first round of sampling.
I figure it’s the only way to be sure there is no cross contamination of any kind with someone having a preconceived notion about what # bottles are good or bad based on someone else’s reaction to said bottle.
This has actually turned out to be much more complicated than I first thought…but that’s cool I dig this sort a thing.
Plus it has now become a bit of a quest to complete in as accurate and unbiased fashion as possible.
Getting down to it now…FINALLY.
We will arrive at the house this Saturday and commence round one either that night or the next.
Like I said I will do my best to give updates as we go along.
I could not have done this thing without all the help from folks here so thanks again.
Respectfully,
Ron

SMOWK
02-14-2011, 10:08
Can't wait to hear the results. Best of luck Ron!

Parkersback
02-14-2011, 10:23
I agree. It'll be a lot of fun to hear the results, and to hear about the party itself.

SMOWK
02-14-2011, 15:36
Take pictures or broadcast it live on Justin.TV :lol:

StraightNoChaser
02-14-2011, 17:18
Ron,

It almost sounds as if SB has complicated this a little much for you. Just remember to do with bourbon what you do best: enjoy it!!!

fishnbowljoe
02-14-2011, 17:34
Ron,

It almost sounds as if SB has complicated this a little much for you. Just remember to do with bourbon what you do best: enjoy it!!!

There ya' go. Doesn't get much simpler than that. The "newbie" pretty much hit the nail on the head. :grin: Nice one Winston. Joe

StraightNoChaser
02-14-2011, 18:24
There ya' go. Doesn't get much simpler than that. The "newbie" pretty much hit the nail on the head. :grin: Nice one Winston. Joe
Thanks Joe. It's nice SB was able to help guide his selections but beyond that it feels like most of the other steps suggested would be wasted on a "motley crew" that aren't aficionados like all of us :grin:

CorvallisCracker
02-24-2011, 10:46
Getting down to it now…FINALLY.
We will arrive at the house this Saturday and commence round one either that night or the next.

No reports. Perhaps he didn't survive the experience.

Damn, somebody went and bumped this irritatingly-titled thread. Oh, wait, it was me.

imbibehour
02-24-2011, 16:37
Is this thing OVER yet.... I never thought this post would last as long as it did.

SMOWK
02-25-2011, 10:55
Ron played his cards right. He asked a lot of questions and took a lot of good advice.

My guess is that someone beat him up and took all the bourbon.

CorvallisCracker
02-25-2011, 11:14
My guess is that someone beat him up and took all the bourbon.

Not me. I have an ironclad alibi.

Really. I was at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News assisting with sanding rust off the turret of the USS Monitor.

Josh
02-25-2011, 13:22
Really. I was at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News assisting with sanding rust off the turret of the USS Monitor.

Is that what you're calling it now?

CorvallisCracker
02-25-2011, 13:24
Is that what you're calling it now?

If you mean what I think you mean (and I think that you do) then, no, because it never gets rusty. :lol:

kickert
02-25-2011, 13:53
This is what I think happened: Someone brought a flask of Old Crow and insisted it go in the tasting as well and then when it won the competition, Ron was so embarrassed he has gone into hiding.

smokinjoe
02-25-2011, 14:23
Baaaaaaaad things happen to people who cross Heaven Hill.....They will find you......

SMOWK
02-25-2011, 14:24
This is what I think happened: Someone brought a flask of Old Crow and insisted it go in the tasting as well and then when it won the competition, Ron was so embarrassed he has gone into hiding.

Little did Ron know, the Old Crow flask was filled with root beer flavored vodka.

Parkersback
02-25-2011, 14:49
Little did Ron know, the Old Crow flask was filled with root beer flavored vodka.

Yeah, but it was made at DSP-414, and their root beer flavored vodka was transcendent.

CorvallisCracker
02-25-2011, 15:03
-- Ode to Ron --

We wait for news, with breath abated
of tasting notes, and bourbons rated
by Ron and friends, the stalwart lads
who seek to pick the good from bad.

A worthy quest, this task of theirs
to find the truth, for them what cares
if Pappy's best, or Maple Hill
and whether or not the Noah's swill.

But some might say, "The goal's too bold,
to pick the best, with some so old
and others young, with rye, with wheat
to pick the best would be quite the feat."

Perhaps t'was this, the fate that fell -
accord not reached, dissent not quelled
that every lad, that every voice
each announced a singular choice.

The lads at odds, the jury hung
no winner named, no tale sung
save a loser found, (a bit of luck)
they all agreed the Hayden's sucked.

kickert
02-25-2011, 15:11
-- Ode to Ron --

to pick the best would be quite a feat."

they all agreed the Hayden sucked.

This my friend... is genius! :bowdown:

smokinjoe
02-25-2011, 15:57
-- Ode to Ron --

Bravo! We can keep ourselves entertained here on SB, can't we.

SMOWK
02-25-2011, 16:12
-- Ode to Ron --

EXCELLENT! :bigeyes::bigeyes::bowdown::bowdown:

Bushape1
02-27-2011, 09:16
Greetings.....
I have the results, I have stories & I even have a few pix.
But first things first....
#1 Yes I survived
#2 Nobody kicked my ass & took ANY of our bourbon.
#3 Nobody brought any Old Crow & no I wasn't in hiding.
#4 WHAT'S WRONG WITH ROOT BEER FLAVORED VODKA!!!???
#5 Corvallis Crackers "Ode to Ron" brought a tear to my eye....

I just got in late last night... I am "a tad hungover" & in fact barely able to type.
All is well....the results are VERY entertaining and enlightening (at least to me)
I ask for a little patience while I put this together and find my camera.
I promise I will post ALL as soon as I can get my act together.
Holy Cr@P am I tired......
More soon I promise.
Respectfully,
Ron

p.s.
I don't think any of you picked the winner correctly...any new guesses?

squire
02-27-2011, 11:28
Patience extended Ron, take your time.

Bushape1
02-27-2011, 21:03
Greetings,
Before I get started I want to thank everyone here at SB.com again for all your help.
The input from everyone was very valuable and gave a newbie like me the tools to attempt this test.
Ok here we go....
I think you'll see I meant it when I said I would do my best to be as accurate as possible.
Some background and support tools and info:
The crackers were unflavored, basic unsalted "Saltine Type" and had the
least amount of sodium of any I checked. Including the $6 a box type.
All water used was bottled, no tap water was used.
Each bottle of bourbon was new the day of the test & numbered 1 thru 6 on the bottom.
Each set of samples were poured from the new bottle in to a new plastic shot glass.
Precise measurements of half ounce pours was accomplished with a new
sterile syringe that remained dedicated to that bottle for the day.
Samples were drawn into the syringe from the new plastic cup and one half
ounce was "injected" into one of 6 Glencairn Glasses.
All Glencairn glasses were numbered on the bottom with the bottle the sample came from.
Numbers were discreet and not able to be seen by testers.
Each Glencairn glass with the half ounce of bourbon in it was then capped with a watch glass cover and set on a tray.
This was repeated until all 6 were filled the same way with the same amount.
Once on the tray glasses were shuffled and all 6 taken to the table and given to the the sampler with a sheet asking for impressions of:
Nose, Taste, Finish, Likes, Dislikes & Comments.
Also on each sheet were a list of common smells associated with bourbon - 60 in total I believe.
People were given the option to add a small amount of water to each sample, however nobody chose this option until the finals.
In all rounds people were asked for impressions of each and then to give the bourbon a score of 0 thru 4.0 with it acceptable to use .5 pt. scoring.
Each person would then initial the sheet and I would collect them as they were completed.
When one person was done all glasses and watch covers were thoroughly cleaned and re-set for the next tester.
There were 7 people partaking in this experiment hence this was completed 7 times each round.
After rounds one and two scores were totaled with the top 3 moving on to the finals.
**Each round was conducted with more than 24 hours between tastings**
Round one pitted the following against each other:
Black Maple Hill
Four Roses Single Barrel
Pappy 20
Knob Creek
Noah's Mill
Basil Hayden

The results of round one were as follows:
In 6th place was Noah's Mill with - 13.5 points
In 5th place was Basil Hayden with - 15.5 points
*there was a tie between Black Maple Hill & Four Roses Single Barrel with
17.5 points for 3rd & 4th
so it was decided to throw out the high and the low score for each and
decide who moved on based on that.
After the tie breaker...in 3rd place....moving on to the finals was Four
Roses Single Barrel.
Leaving Black Maple Hill out of it & in 4th place
In 2nd place was Knob Creek with - 18.0 points
And in 1st place was Pappy 20 with - 19.5 points

Round two consisted of:
Pappy 15
Jack Single Barrel
Pappy 23
Woodford Reserve Maple Wood Finish
Makers Mark 46
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

The results of round two were as follows:
In 6th place was Wild Turkey Rare Breed with - 15.5 points
In 5th place was Pappy 23 with - 17.0 Points
In 4th place was Woodford MWF with - 18.0 points
In 3rd place was Makers Mark 46 with - 18.5 points
Tied for 1st place was Jack Single Barrel & Pappy 15 BOTH with 19.0 points

So....in the finals we had:
Pappy 15
Jack Single Barrel
Pappy 20
Knob Creek
Makers Mark 46
Four Roses Single Barrel

Here ya go...the results of the finals were........
In 6th place with 13.5 points-----Jack Daniels Single Barrel
In 5th place with 17.0 points-----Knob Creek
In 4th place with 17.5 points-----Pappy 15
In 3rd place with 18.5 points-----Four Roses Single Barrel
In 2nd place with 20.5 points-----Pappy 20
AND IN FIRST PLACE......THE WINNER OF THE FIRST EVER NEW GUY TASTE TEST PLAYOFF IS.........
MAKERS MARK 46~!!!~!!!
It was crazy! I almost couldn't believe it. I had never had the Makers 46 until this trip.
Quite surprising on many levels to me....that Pappy 20 held on to the end and only lost by .5 point is not that surprising to me.
But that Makers 46 BEAT OUT ALL THE REST INCLUDING 3 PAPPY'S somehow is.
This taste test was not only really informative and helpful in educating many total new guys but extremely FUN~!
I know these results will likely have some folks being critical that one score was higher than another's in particular round so this one should have won etc...
But all I can do is put it in front of people and let them choose what they like at that time....and with these 7 guys over these 4 days...
Makers Mark 46 was the best.....regardless of price. Regardless of wheat or rye content....& in spite of what some experts say... it was the best.
I hope you found this taste test playoff somewhat informative and if nothing else a little entertaining.
Big thanks to all here again and thanks to Makers Mark for making the 46!
Respectfully,
Ron
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g334/bushape1/IMG_1753.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g334/bushape1/IMG_1740.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g334/bushape1/IMG_1686.jpg
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g334/bushape1/IMG_1677.jpg

Parkersback
02-27-2011, 21:21
Ron, thanks for taking us on this fun ride with you.

You shouldn't apologize or give caveats: you set up a cool way of enjoying and evaluating bourbon with friends and you told us about it. Enough said. The results that you gave are as valid as any "professional" taster's opinions, or any of ours. Your friends enjoyed the drinks and told you what they thought, and I'm glad I got to hear about it. Cheers!

Bushape1
02-27-2011, 21:47
THANKS VERY MUCH~!

p_elliott
02-28-2011, 07:44
This has been a fun thread and the results were interesting. I think this will go down in the history of SB.com as the longest new guy post of all time.

StraightNoChaser
02-28-2011, 08:28
I spy a bottle of Chartreuse! YUM

silverfish
02-28-2011, 09:04
This has been a fun thread and the results were interesting.

Agreed! Thanks for sharing, Ron.

Most interesting to me - the JDSB came in tied for 1st in round 2
but came in last in the finals. Did any of your participants offer
any comments afterward?

imbibehour
02-28-2011, 09:23
Hooray! you did it man, looks like you had a lot of fun!

squire
02-28-2011, 11:49
Informative and entertaining Ron, glad you guys had fun and appreciate the opportunity to share in it.

CorvallisCracker
02-28-2011, 12:29
#4 WHAT'S WRONG WITH ROOT BEER FLAVORED VODKA!!!???

Not a darn thing. I think it's a great concept. I occasionally spike root beer with a little vodka to make "hard" root beer. If the vodka had root beer flavoring, it wouldn't dilute the taste.

#5 Corvallis Crackers "Ode to Ron" brought a tear to my eye....

Hopefully a chuckle or two as well (but not to your eye)(chuckles in the eye are weird, and could require medical intervention)

AND IN FIRST PLACE......THE WINNER OF THE FIRST EVER NEW GUY TASTE TEST PLAYOFF IS.........
MAKERS MARK 46~!!!~!!!

:bigeyes:

fishnbowljoe
02-28-2011, 15:13
Way to go Ron! :cool: This has been a fun thread. It seems you and your group had a good time, and learned a little something in the process. Can't ask for much more than that. Cheers to you and your group! :grin: Joe

smokinjoe
03-01-2011, 08:16
OK, Ron. Now, what are you going to talk about? You've kept us entertained for 4 months, now we'll need you to step up again, and get us through till July. :D

Bushape1
03-01-2011, 13:20
Smokin Joe,
Right now I'm still recovering from a pretty killer week.
Good times to be sure. I have no clue what else (if anything) I'll be able to contribute to this place.
Anything ya need done??
I do like it here & wanna earn my keep.
Thanks again for all the help along the way.
Respectfully,
Ron

silverfish
03-01-2011, 20:34
Good times to be sure. I have no clue what else (if anything) I'll be able to contribute to this place.
Anything ya need done??
I do like it here & wanna earn my keep.

Maybe offer up some of your notes on the ones you sampled during your
test or buy something new and let us know what you think of that.

Stick around for a while - you might come to like it here!

SMOWK
03-01-2011, 21:28
Maybe offer up some of your notes on the ones you sampled during your test

Great idea! That would be nice.

jcg9779
03-02-2011, 08:33
I'll echo the thoughts of many of the other members - this was a very fun post to read! What a fun idea and a surprising result!

(although I do like MM46 very much)

Parkersback
03-02-2011, 10:03
Well, I know it's not a fan favorite around here, but I actually like MM46 quite a bit, too. But I'm a cheapy, and at $35 a bottle, I'll not tend to choose it much.