PDA

View Full Version : Hello All!

taylor714
11-10-2010, 16:38
Hello all! I've been getting more and more into bourbon. I've liked Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark, but have have been branching out into other bourbons. I have recently purchased a bottle of Pappy 15 as well as Elmer T. Lee. I would like to learn more about how the grains used affect the bourbons taste.

Finally, a local store has all of the Buffalo Trace Antique Collection. I've heard lots about the George T. Stagg and others in the series, and am trying to decide what, if any, I should pick up. Would any of these be able to land a bottle of Woodford Reserve Maple finished? I LOVE maple, so when I saw this, I was quite excited to see if I could find it.

Anywho, I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can about bourbon, and exploring the micro distillers as well!

ratcheer
11-10-2010, 17:41
Hi, Taylor. Welcome to SB.com!

There are two major grains used to flavor bourbon, rye or wheat. There are some unusual bourbons that use other flavoring grains, but these are the main two. Rye-flavored bourbons are often described as "spicy". I'm not sure I agree with that term, but rye definitely imparts more of a bite to the taste. I believe that rye flavored bourbons represent most of the various brands and bottlings.

You have cited one of each type. The Pappy is flavored with wheat and the Elmer T. Lee is a rye flavored bourbon. So, you can make some comparisons right there.

Tim

Bushape1
11-11-2010, 06:53
Welcome~!
This place is a wealth of knowledge for the greatest beverage ever made. BOURBON...of course.
I still haven't been able to look up all I want to know, but I have no doubt it's here. It's just about finding it. I spend a fair amount of time trying to hunt down answers to questions and have yet to run in to something not already answered or that the host of Bourbon "Rain Men" here can't just rattle of an answer to in 10 seconds.
My small piece of advice is to try to learn all the abbreviations and try to use the search function when you have time.
You'll be amazed what you'll find.
So for what it's worth...from one new person to another.....welcome.
And Great choice with the Pappy 15~!
Respectfully,
Ron

p_elliott
11-11-2010, 08:56
Welcome Taylor hope you enjoy the site. Please post often and ask as many questions as you want, we like answering them. Come join us in chat ( the gazebo) at the top of the main page. It says at the bottom of the main page who is in chat. Don't be shy new people are always welcome.

As for flavoring grains I just wanted to elaborate on what Ratcheer said Woodford Reserve is a rye bourbon like Elmer T Lee and Markers Mark is a wheater bourbon like the Pappy 15. Rye makes the bourbon more robust and spicy where wheat in bourbon is really more of a neutral grain allowing the sweetness of the corn to come through. If you would like to test this buy a bottle of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey it taste nothing like a wheater bourbon.

Another though I have about your post you say you can get the BTAC I say go ahead and purchase them in this order Wiilaim Larue Weller, George T Stagg, Sazerac 18, Thomas H Handy, Eagle Rare 17 as you can aford because they are available and won't be in a couple of weeks. But I say put them on the self and leave them there. Step away from the upper shelf for a while and drink from the lower midself to upper lower shelf until you have trained your pallet a little. Drink some things like Wild Turkey 101, Old Weller Antigue 107, Weller Special reserve, Fighting Cock, Old Grand Dad, Bulleitt, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Etc. then got back and enjoy the Ultra premuim bourbons and you'll enjoy them better. Just my 2 cents worth.

Again welcome too the site stick around you'll make some friends here. There are a lot of great people. I'm sorry if I came off preachy.

Paul

taylor714
11-11-2010, 09:20
Thanks for the welcomes. As much as I'd love to buy all the bottles, I'll buy 1 at most. Being in Master's school doesn't afford much extra cash.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the order that you did? I've seen the most rave/review about the GTS, but the WLW I've heard very little about.

hectic1
11-11-2010, 10:29
Thanks for the welcomes. As much as I'd love to buy all the bottles, I'll buy 1 at most. Being in Master's school doesn't afford much extra cash.

If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose the order that you did? I've seen the most rave/review about the GTS, but the WLW I've heard very little about.
Welcome Taylor714,

IMO you can't go wrong with either the WLW or the GTS...the WLW is going to be a barrel proof wheat based bourbon while the GTS is going to be a barrel proof rye based bourbon. Both are extremely complex and will make just about any bourbon enthusiasts smile!

Enjoy the journey! :cool: