PDA

View Full Version : Where to go next?

soad
11-11-2010, 10:23
Hello all, I'm pretty new to being a true bourbon drinker (I don't count the years of Beam shots at college bars :rolleyes: ). My tastes are rather simple at this point. I really enjoy Makers and Knob Creek, and I have tried and enjoyed Buffalo Trace and Old Grand-Dad 86. I have tried and not really liked Woodford and Evan Williams Black Label.

My two questions would be, I guess right now my favorite is Makers, what Bourbon could I try that would be similar (wheat/rye %) but would be a "step up". Second, I really want to try a high proof bottle just to see the difference between that and the Knob Creek (the highest proof I have tried), I was thinking Bookers? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!!!!

hectic1
11-11-2010, 11:14
Hello all, I'm pretty new to being a true bourbon drinker (I don't count the years of Beam shots at college bars :rolleyes: ). My tastes are rather simple at this point. I really enjoy Makers and Knob Creek, and I have tried and enjoyed Buffalo Trace and Old Grand-Dad 86. I have tried and not really liked Woodford and Evan Williams Black Label.

My two questions would be, I guess right now my favorite is Makers, what Bourbon could I try that would be similar (wheat/rye %) but would be a "step up". Second, I really want to try a high proof bottle just to see the difference between that and the Knob Creek (the highest proof I have tried), I was thinking Bookers? Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!!!! If you're looking for something with a bit higher proof you could go with Old Weller Antique for a wheater and OGD 114 for a rye based bourbon...both of those are a step up IMO from what you've been drinking! Enjoy the journey! :cool:

silverfish
11-11-2010, 11:19
My two questions would be, I guess right now my favorite is Makers, what Bourbon could I try that would be similar (wheat/rye %) but would be a "step up".

I guess the obvious answer would be Maker's 46 (94 proof).
There is a nice thread on that one here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13811) if you'd like to read
about it.

Other than that, I agree with hectic on the OWA.

Welcome to the forums.

Parkersback
11-11-2010, 11:24
I'm sure there's lots of folks who can and will chime in, but as a newbie myself, I've found a lot of info simply by searching and stumbling around the Forum. I've gotten some really fruitful info by searching on words like, "bargains", or "favorites", or by searching a bourbon you really like. Since you like Maker's and Knob Creek, if you searched those words using the "Advanced Search" method of locating threads with those words in the title, you'll find threads of people saying things like, "I kind of like Makers, but if you want a great wheated bourbon that is both better and cheaper, then Weller Special Reserve is the way to go." I've learned tons of stuff in that kind of roundabout way.

Another place to go would be the Bottle of the Month (BOTM) threads. Each month, SB board members discuss a particular bourbon, and it's been going on for years. So you have discussions on really great bargain bourbons (like EWB or OGD BIB or OWA) as well as more high-end stuff.

Finally, if you're the kind of person who likes to "chat", try the Gazebo. Late at night, there's usually people there who are chatting over a bourbon, and everyone to a person has been really kind to me and my questions (I'm thinking especially of Paul and Bob, but I know there have been others).

B.B. Babington
11-11-2010, 16:17
Parkersback has the best suggestion, poke around the site for a while.

If ya like the makers, try some bernheim or wellers. My top suggestion is try lots of different stuff and try them side by side to savor the differences. That's how you learn to appreciate the nuances. Some people say 46 is no different than regular makers. Sip a lot of stuff, develop the palate, and yea, there's a difference.

dmarkle
11-11-2010, 20:17

IMO you should start off with other wheat recipe bourbons, because that's what Maker's is. My personal opinion on the matter is that wheated bourbons are better and more interesting at somewhat higher proofs. So I think it's a good idea to hunt down any of these and compare and contrast for yourself, since you're dealing with the same or very similar base recipes:

MM 46 (OK, it's not a high proof)
Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year old, 107 proof
Old Fitzgerald, Bottled in Bond (100 proof), a bit harder to find but very inexpensive
Old Weller Antique (another at 107 proof)

sailor22
11-12-2010, 07:14
Staying with a similar style;

You might try Van Winkle 10yr 90proof as it has a more robust flavor set than Makers without being particularly challenging. The 10yr 107 proof would be the next step.

Weller 12 yr if you can find it would provide a different perspective on wheater juice without being too bold - the Weller Antique would be the next step in that line.

Moving up a price point Van Winkle Family Reserve "Lot B" 12 yr might suit you.

A high proof Wheater would be William Larue Weller - buckle up.

Noah's Mill would make an interesting comparison to Bookers.

Whiskey Willie
11-12-2010, 13:32
Give Weller Special Reserve a try; also Old Rip Van Winkle (if you can find it).

soad
11-12-2010, 13:55
Thanks guys! I going on a hunt to find some of the bottles mentioned here. I live in PA and the LCB store here in town doesn't stock anything "outside the box". I will be in Youngstown, Ohio in the next few weeks, anyone know a kick butt liquor store over there that has a good selection??? thanks!!!

callmeox
11-12-2010, 14:47
Thanks guys! I going on a hunt to find some of the bottles mentioned here. I live in PA and the LCB store here in town doesn't stock anything "outside the box". I will be in Youngstown, Ohio in the next few weeks, anyone know a kick butt liquor store over there that has a good selection??? thanks!!!

Ohio is a control state and there is no Weller on the regular state list.

As poor as the selection seems in PA, you will find no eye opening surprises in Ohio stores.

soad
11-13-2010, 13:46
Ohio is a control state and there is no Weller on the regular state list.

As poor as the selection seems in PA, you will find no eye opening surprises in Ohio stores.

Man, that stinks. I can't even get anything shipped to me either :smiley_acbt: Looks like I'm going to have to wait until next summers vacation down south to get some good stuff.....

bourduc
11-13-2010, 19:10
Maybe call ahead to a Youngstown store, and see if they can special order some of the items you are looking for...Ohio does have the special order ability, just may be limited.

Rob

fishnbowljoe
11-23-2010, 17:40
Welcome to SB soad. Glad to have you. A lot of us started our bourbon journey just like you. Myself included. I remember when all I had was Maker's Mark, Knob Creek, and Woodford Reserve. :skep: You've received some good recommendations from some of the members here so far. None of which I can argue with. However...................... :rolleyes: Just kidding. :lol: Pretty much everything suggested to you so far, are wheated bourbons. My favorites. :cool: The Makers, Van Winkles, Old Fitz and above all, the Wellers, (my absolute favorites) are all wheaters. That being said, Ill give you a few others to try too. Wild Turkey 101, Old Forester Signature, Fighting Cock, and Very Old Barton BIB are a few that are higher proof bourbons with a rye mashbill. They are pretty decent bourbons at pretty good prices. A step or two up in price would be Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Baker's. I hope this has helped some rather than confuse you more. Cheers! Joe

soad
11-26-2010, 08:45
Hey guys! Using your suggestions, I just ordered an Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 from the PA LCB. I can't wait to try it, but it's going to be a week or so....

For my next purchase I'm thinking of trying a Rye....If I'm not mistaken Bookers and WT Rare Breed are considered rye bourbons....correct? If so which would you recommend between the two. Or....should I go cheaper and get a WT Rye to see if I like the Ryes???

Thanks!!

Rutter
11-26-2010, 08:55
If I'm not mistaken Bookers and WT Rare Breed are considered rye bourbons....correct?

They are high rye rather than out and out rye whiskey like the WT rye you mentioned I'd give them all a try and see what you like welcome to an expensive hobby! :slappin:

p_elliott
11-29-2010, 08:35
Hey guys! Using your suggestions, I just ordered an Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year 107 from the PA LCB. I can't wait to try it, but it's going to be a week or so....

For my next purchase I'm thinking of trying a Rye....If I'm not mistaken Bookers and WT Rare Breed are considered rye bourbons....correct? If so which would you recommend between the two. Or....should I go cheaper and get a WT Rye to see if I like the Ryes???

Thanks!!

They are high rye rather than out and out rye whiskey like the WT rye you mentioned I'd give them all a try and see what you like welcome to an expensive hobby! :slappin:

Just to double emphasize what Mark said Booker's and WT Rare Breed are rye bourbons like most bourbons are. OGD that you said you have drank in your original post is a rye bourbon. WT 101 is a rye bourbon but WT Rye in the green label is a straight rye whiskey this is a different type of whiskey all together. In stead of being 51% corn or more it's 51% rye or more. Hope this clears this up for you. By the way Rye whiskey is very good too.

soad
11-29-2010, 10:51
Just to double emphasize what Mark said Booker's and WT Rare Breed are rye bourbons like most bourbons are. OGD that you said you have drank in your original post is a rye bourbon. WT 101 is a rye bourbon but WT Rye in the green label is a straight rye whiskey this is a different type of whiskey all together. In stead of being 51% corn or more it's 51% rye or more. Hope this clears this up for you. By the way Rye whiskey is very good too.

Thanks guys! So...I have tried Makers (a wheated bourbon) and OGD (a rye bourbon) so the next step would be 1) ORVW 10 year 107 as a step up wheated. 2) Rare Breed/Bookers as a step up rye bourbon. 3) WT Rye as an introduction to the Rye whiskeys. Does that sound good?? Any recommendation on which to choose: WTRB v. Bookers? They are about the same price (mid $40's).....

thanks again!

hectic1
11-29-2010, 17:39
I would go WTRB over Booker's...I've never really been into the small batch collection from Beam...I've had Booker's a couple time and can appreciate why people dig it but to me it's definitely not a $45-$50 bottle.