PDA

View Full Version : Whiskey Lover, Bourbon Newb

yourchoice
11-12-2010, 11:26
Hey everybody, looks like a great site here! My name is Joel and I learned of this site through a cigar forum I frequent. I wouldn't be shocked if I didn't recognize some usernames that similarly cross-over.

I've been somewhat seriously into whiskey, primarily Scotch whisky, for a number of years, but have recently been bitten by the Bourbon bug. I'm still learning about Bourbon (and whiskey in general) but aren't we all? :)

I figured I'd introduce myself even though, as I'm learning, I'll be doing more reading than posting, but I hope to contribute when I think I have something of value to add.

Cheers!!!

Josh
11-12-2010, 11:35
Hey everybody, looks like a great site here! My name is Joel and I learned of this site through a cigar forum I frequent. I wouldn't be shocked if I didn't recognize some usernames that similarly cross-over.

I've been somewhat seriously into whiskey, primarily Scotch whisky, for a number of years, but have recently been bitten by the Bourbon bug. I'm still learning about Bourbon (and whiskey in general) but aren't we all? :)

I figured I'd introduce myself even though, as I'm learning, I'll be doing more reading than posting, but I hope to contribute when I think I have something of value to add.

Cheers!!!

Welcome YC! Glad to have you aboard. Let us know a little more about yourself. Whereabouts do you live and what are some of your favorite bourbons so far in the journey?

Whiskey Willie
11-12-2010, 12:36
Plenty of information here from lots of knowledgable people...Search the site, take a distillery tour, and try lots of bourbon.

Welcome.

yourchoice
11-12-2010, 12:45
Welcome YC! Glad to have you aboard. Let us know a little more about yourself. Whereabouts do you live and what are some of your favorite bourbons so far in the journey?
Thanks for the welcome!

I live in South Jersey, about 20 minutes from Philadelphia. Even though I'm so close to the city, my area is still very rural. I'm a devoted Philadelphia sports fan, Eagles, Phillies, Flyers and even the Sixers, but they're not very good ATM.

As I touched on, I'm a cigar fanatic, although sometimes it seems I buy more than I smoke! I have a diverse, and large (to me) collection of smokes, ranging from bundle smokes, to higher end and sometimes HTF stuff.

Bourbon is a newer spirit journey, having been reintroduced to it about 3-4 months ago while at a friend's house. Aside from sampling a few very nice selections there, I've picked up about 1/2 dozen bottles in the last few months to try. So far, I'd probably say my favorites have been Woodford Reserve, Evan Williams Single Barrel and Bulleit. I was lucky enough to score this year's GTS at my local earlier this week (at what I think was a great price, $60), but I haven't brought myself to try it yet. But who am I kidding, I'll probably open it this weekend!

With Scotch, I tend to gravitate toward the Islays; Ardbeg, Bowmore, and the occassional Lagavulin being some of my favorites. JWB is a solid blend, and I don't turn my nose at other region's selections either. What can I say, I like my whisky/ey. :) I hope to find Rittenhouse BIB to have on hand what I understand to be a nice affordable Rye selection too.

I also like walks on the beach....oh, wrong forum. ;)

unclebunk
11-12-2010, 13:36
Nice intro, Joel. Welcome to SB and good luck with your Eagles!

yourchoice
11-13-2010, 07:20
Had a little sampling last night of some recent purchases. I opened the GTS for the first time and thought it was very good! Quite the power house.:bigeyes: I also had a little KC and WR to see what I thought of them comparatively. I have to say, I think I liked the WR least of the three, but they were all good. Probably a tough thing to compare, with the varying degrees of ABV, but it was a good night!

Now this morning on the other hand...well my wife and daughters haven't seen me at my best just yet! :lol:

McSmokey
11-17-2010, 06:23
Good to see you over here Joel!!

fishnbowljoe
11-23-2010, 15:29
Welcome to SB Joel. Once you've been bitten by the bourbon bug, that's all she wrote. :lol: Have fun and enjoy. Joe