PDA

View Full Version : Bourbon Barrel Care



whgaunce@alltel.
11-21-2010, 16:02
I have just acquired a used barrel that was dumped for bottling within the last two months. I want to sand it and possibly polyurethane it and display it along with my collection. I have heard that if the barrels dry out they will collapse inward (?) Give me your expert advice and possible solutions! Also other possble uses are appreciated. :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!!:grin:

silverfish
11-21-2010, 16:29
I have just acquired a used barrel that was dumped for bottling within the last two months. I want to sand it and possibly polyurethane it and display it along with my collection. I have heard that if the barrels dry out they will collapse inward (?) Give me your expert advice and possible solutions! Also other possible uses are appreciated. :rolleyes: Thanks in advance!!:grin:

I have two empty barrels - 1 from 1994 - which have not "collapse(d)
inward" yet. They have dried out and I can see space between the
staves so if you want it to remain watertight, read here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14725).

Two other threads here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14846) and here (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13332).

fricky
11-21-2010, 16:39
As the staves dry out, they will become loose and eventually the barrel may fall apart. I refinsihed a few old barrels. I first drilled holes through the top and bottom bands and installed screws through the bands and staves into the top and bottom heads. I installed wood screws through each stave (top and bottom).

The other bands require only a few screws to prevent them from moving out of position when they shrink. When the top and bottom hoops were attached to the heads, I removed the other bands and sanded the staves. After sanding, I coated the entire barrel with about 4 coats of spar varnish.

I wanted to maintain the information stenciled on the barrel head, so I only carefully cleaned that head and then varnished it. I removed the rust from the bands and painted them with Rust-Oleum black paint.

After finishing, I replaced the plated steel screws with black pyramid head wood screws. When finished, I had a round 1/4" glass plate made to fit on the top that had the identification. The barrel head had warped but the glass provided a flat surface.