PDA

View Full Version : Branching Out From Single Malts

bcrossan
11-23-2010, 06:25
Greetings all. Long time single malt drinker and I am just starting to discover some of the great bourbons and ryes out there. I thought I would pop over here and start to learn from the years of expertise over here :grin:

Over the past month I have picked up a handful of bottles and have been enjoying all of them, well the ones I have opened so far. Some of the things on my shelf now:

AH Hirsch 16
Pappy 15
WLW 2010
GTS 2010
Eagle Rare 17 2010
Saz 18 2010
Thomas Handy Rye 2009
High West Rendezvous Rye
Whistle Pig Rye

And then some of these beauties. I haven't cracked any of them yet but I did get to taste some that Dan poured at the distillery and it was great stuff. A total butterscotch bomb!!

unclebunk
11-23-2010, 06:38
Welcome to SB and well done on your selection of bourbons/ryes. You've got some amazing juice there in your collection which should keep you warm this winter. If I may, I'd suggest a few products from the Wild Turkey line, namely Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed, as well as Four Roses Single Barrel which is a terrific whiskey. Don't forget, you don't need to spend top dollar to get top quality bourbon, so be sure to browse the mid-priced shelf for some gems. Good luck and Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Hank

BTW, what are some of your favorite single malts?

bcrossan
11-23-2010, 06:49
Welcome to SB and well done on your selection of bourbons/ryes. You've got some amazing juice there in your collection which should keep you warm this winter. If I may, I'd suggest a few products from the Wild Turkey line, namely Kentucky Spirit and Rare Breed, as well as Four Roses Single Barrel which is a terrific whiskey. Don't forget, you don't need to spend top dollar to get top quality bourbon, so be sure to browse the mid-priced shelf for some gems. Good luck and Happy Holidays to you and your family!

Hank

BTW, what are some of your favorite single malts?

Thanks Hank and nice suggestions.

Some of my favorite single malt distilleries are Ardbeg, Port Ellen, Springbank, Balvenie, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich to name a few. I have something like 185 bottles of malts in the house so there is never a shortage of things to pick from :grin:

unclebunk
11-23-2010, 06:59
Thanks Hank and nice suggestions.

Some of my favorite single malt distilleries are Ardbeg, Port Ellen, Springbank, Balvenie, Caol Ila, Bruichladdich to name a few. I have something like 185 bottles of malts in the house so there is never a shortage of things to pick from :grin:

185 bottles?!? You'll fit right in here at SB, that's for sure. Last night we wrapped up the final day of unseasonably warm weather here in Chicago this fall with temps hitting 65 degrees before a cold front moved in and dropped the temps nearly 30 degrees. With high winds and incredibly heavy rainfall, I decided to greet old man winter with a nice bottle of Guinness FES and a heavy pour of Springbank 10. With the wind howling outside and the fire roaring in the fireplace, I managed to mentally transport myself to Scotland and a pleasant visit it was.:grin:

birdman1099
11-23-2010, 07:00
Welcome Bryan.... I'm glad you finally made it over here !!!

Butterscotch bomb, eh????? Perhaps I'll get a bottle at some point. :skep:

Just let me know how I can help you on your Bourbon Journey.

p_elliott
11-23-2010, 07:23
Welcome aboard Bryan, 185 bottles of scotch huh? yes your going to fit in here real nice. It won't be long and you'll have a 185 bottles of bourbon to go a long with them. Stop by chat (the gazebo) some time.

bcrossan
11-23-2010, 09:01
Welcome aboard Bryan, 185 bottles of scotch huh? yes your going to fit in here real nice. It won't be long and you'll have a 185 bottles of bourbon to go a long with them. Stop by chat (the gazebo) some time.

I might need a bigger house to be able to hold that many more bottles!!:slappin:

bcrossan
11-23-2010, 09:02
Welcome Bryan.... I'm glad you finally made it over here !!!

Butterscotch bomb, eh????? Perhaps I'll get a bottle at some point. :skep:

Just let me know how I can help you on your Bourbon Journey.

Thanks Scott... 2 of those still have your name on it :bigeyes:

fishnbowljoe
11-23-2010, 14:59
Welcome to SB Bryan. So, 185 bottles of scotch, plus a pretty good selection of bourbons to start off with. Yep. Like a couple others have stated, you'll fit right in here. It's all good. :grin: Cheers! Joe

bcrossan
11-23-2010, 15:14
Welcome to SB Bryan. So, 185 bottles of scotch, plus a pretty good selection of bourbons to start off with. Yep. Like a couple others have stated, you'll fit right in here. It's all good. :grin: Cheers! Joe

So you are saying this place is full of whisk(e)y nerds just like me?? :lol:

fishnbowljoe
11-23-2010, 16:42
Well............................................ I guess so. :crazy: Joe

theDon
11-24-2010, 08:23
Welcome, if you want a cheap but good pour only available in Texas and Louisiana, try Tom Moore Bottled in Bond from Barton's (Buffalo Trace). Good stuff!

bcrossan
11-26-2010, 12:59
Welcome, if you want a cheap but good pour only available in Texas and Louisiana, try Tom Moore Bottled in Bond from Barton's (Buffalo Trace). Good stuff!

I have not seen that one, but I will not be on the look out for it to see if it is in Austin as well

theDon
11-28-2010, 14:42
I have not seen that one, but I will not be on the look out for it to see if it is in Austin as well

You will not be on the look out for it? I'm assuming that's a typo. It is all over Austin.

bcrossan
11-28-2010, 16:11
You will not be on the look out for it? I'm assuming that's a typo. It is all over Austin.

:lol::lol: Oopps... you are right, typo. Do you know who has it in Austin? I assume Twin Liquors?

theDon
12-02-2010, 15:22
If you PM Mozilla (jeff), he is from Austin and will be happy to point you in the right direction. He also has a world of bourbon knowledge as well as a bunker that rivals most.

Stu
12-03-2010, 07:24
So you are saying this place is full of whisk(e)y nerds just like me?? :lol:

Welcome Bryan. Whisk(e)y Nerd is mild compared to what my wife sometimes calls me! Fortunately she enjoys whisk(e)y as much as me. You'll find many "cross drinkers" here (malt and bourbon, ...as well as dark rum, cognac....i.e. any red/brown liquor).

p_elliott
12-06-2010, 07:35
If you want a second opinion on the Tom Moore I had it when I was in Texas in May. I thought it was God awful and gave the bottle to Jeff. Get a pour in a bar before you buy a bottle.