PDA

View Full Version : Unopened carry-in question

MarkEdwards
11-30-2010, 14:17
I picked up a couple of bottles today around lunchtime, then went across the street to a restaurant for lunch.

Now, I put the bag in my trunk. Then a thought struck me:

Generally, what are the rules for carrying your bag of unopened bottles into a place that is not licensed to sell liquor, such as a restaurant or grocery store?

Is this verboten, right up there with carrying of dangerous weapons, or something that is not a problem if the bottles are still sealed?

barturtle
11-30-2010, 16:01
it's my bag and it's nobody's business what's in it....though i will avoid taking alcohol to places where it's illegal, like public schools (most of the time, anyway)

sku
11-30-2010, 17:11
I picked up a couple of bottles today around lunchtime, then went across the street to a restaurant for lunch.

Now, I put the bag in my trunk. Then a thought struck me:

Generally, what are the rules for carrying your bag of unopened bottles into a place that is not licensed to sell liquor, such as a restaurant or grocery store?

Is this verboten, right up there with carrying of dangerous weapons, or something that is not a problem if the bottles are still sealed?

Laws of this sort are state-by-state and, depending on the state, can even differ by city or county, so it would depend on the law where you are. However, I can't say that I've ever heard of a law anywhere that would prohibit someone from taking sealed bottles into an establishment if there was no intent to open and drink them. Of course, I certainly haven't reviewed all of the liquor laws out there, and considering how weird some of them are, it wouldn't surprise me if something like this existed somewhere.