PDA

View Full Version : Wheatie Fan Needs Advice

Chuckles
12-08-2010, 15:37
Longtime bourbon drinker here, rather new to site, Been through a lot of threads, but haven't found the answers i seek. My father was a tech-rep who often worked at Stitzel-Weller (around 1970) and our basement was full of Cabin Still (Old Cabin Still?), Old Fitzgerald, and SW products, many of which I spirited away and consumed--and much enjoyed--in my late teens/early 20s. In the intervening years I've gone through Scotch, Irish, rye, cognac, and other phases, while still enjoying bourbon, usually of the well variety (Jim Beam, 10 High, Early Times, and such). But my dad's stock was always my favorite, and judging from the posts I've read, that means I like wheaties best--but not sure what percent of the mash I prefer is wheat; it's till mostly corn, right? So cleaning out my late parents house I found two treasures (still sealed, no apparent evaporation, stored in dark basement, etc.): a cute half-pint of Old Weller 107 and a fifth of Very Old Fitzgerald BIB (barreled 1960, bottled 1968). Would you guys recommend I just break them open and enjoy, or should I re-train my palate with some currently available quality wheaties (or others)? If so, what wheaties are recommended? Thanks. -Chuckles

IronHead
12-08-2010, 16:09
I think good whiskey is going to be good whiskey no matter what training regimen you devise for your palate. Since you've have had experience with bourbon before it is not going to be a shock to you. I say crank 'em open and let us know what you think of them. Odds are good you aren't going to find a bottle readily available that will compare to the VOF, anyway.

As far as good, available wheaters go: Check out the Pappy Van Winkle line, the Old Rip Van Winkle line, and anything W.L. Weller.

B.B. Babington
12-08-2010, 16:16
when ya sip 'em, maybe sip with some others just for comparison's sake.

p_elliott
12-09-2010, 07:52
I think it would be a good idea to get acquainted with the currant wheated bourbons before you crack those open. I think it will help you appreciate the quality of them better. By the way welcome aboard.

Chuckles
12-09-2010, 08:29
Thanks guys. I think I will consume a new wheater for reference and then one of my vintage bottles in January. I actually misread my notes--the Old Weller 107 was an empty fifth. The virgin fifth is VVOF BIB 12yo, barreled '55/bottled '67. The cute little half-pint, still in a box, is the VOF BIB 8yo from '68. Yum, huh?
Does anyone remember Cabin Still? I drank a lot of that in the day.
And how much wheat in the mash makes a wheater?
Need a road trip to Kentucky to learn more.

OscarV
12-09-2010, 11:10
Would you guys recommend I just break them open and enjoy, or should I re-train my palate with some currently available quality wheaties (or others)? If so, what wheaties are recommended? Thanks. -Chuckles

You should sell them on eBay, you could get hundreds and hundreds of dollars for them and at the same time make that buyer extremely happy.
Then buy a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 and use the rest of the money for Christmas presents for your Lady, she will show you her appreciation.

p_elliott
12-09-2010, 11:20
You should sell them on eBay, you could get hundreds and hundreds of dollars for them and at the same time make that buyer extremely happy.
Then buy a bottle of Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 and use the rest of the money for Christmas presents for your Lady, she will show you her appreciation.

Oscar they don't know your joking so give em a break this shit of being beligerent to new mebebers is getting old there is no reason for it so stop it already.

OscarV
12-09-2010, 11:22
Oscar they don't know you're an ass :grin: So give give the new guys a break :grin:

Check, thanks for keeping me in line.
But, and this is just between me and you,.... I'm the one who wants to buy it when it hits eBay,... again, keep it on the down low. Thanx!

Really, I wasn't joking, I want it to show up on eBay, really.

TNbourbon
12-09-2010, 17:19
...Would you guys recommend I just break them open and enjoy...
Yes. You won't find a current wheater in their league (and I think Buffalo Trace makes fine wheaters!). I've had examples near identical to each you note and, unless somehow 'turned', they will be exemplary and, well, good!:cool:
Nothing good can happen to them -- or you -- while they remain in the bottle.

Postscript: Geez -- I just saw you change the identity to VVOF! That sucker's worthless, and I'll give you -- aw, Hell, drink it. It IS yours, after all!:cry: (You're just teasin' us, ain't you?):banghead:

imbibehour
12-10-2010, 09:38
Wow what a great bunch of stuff you had down in that basement.

I would savor and drink that like there was no tomorrow. Comparisons are great so by all means grab another wheater (MM).

I am beginning to think I was not a fan of Rye dominance, but I just cracked open some Whistlepig and it was pure heaven (100% Rye whiskey).

PaulO
12-12-2010, 13:23
Cabin Still is now made by Heaven Hill. I have seen it in IL and KY. The funny thing is several years ago, I got some that tasted a lot like butterscotch. The stuff I got this past summer in KY tasted more like Evan Williams. I wonder if this is what they call a "dogs and cats" brand?

Chuckles
12-13-2010, 08:47

Thanks again, guys. Hey, the Newbie can take some hazing, but I'm not teasing about the two bottles of old Old Fitz. I'm not much of a photog, but check out these pix. I'm no where near savvy enough to sell bourbon online, but Oscar, if you want to drive to Chicago with a suitcase of cash, I'm sure we can work something out!

fishnbowljoe
12-14-2010, 15:10
Nice bottles Chuckles. I've tasted the VVOF before, and it's wonderful. I have a suggestion for you for a tasting. What you might want to do, is get a bottle of Old Fitz BIB, a bottle of Old Fitz Ptime, and a current bottle of VSOF, if you can find it. I'm not sure if Binny's carries the current bottling of VSOF or not. It doesn't show up on their website, but you never know. That will give you a basic idea about the different bottlings of Old Fitz. All are decent, but none hold a candle to the VVOF that you have. FWIW, I would hold onto those bottles of VVOF, and have a pour whenever the mood suits you. Any special occasion will do. Birthdays, anniversaries, etc..... I milked a bottle of Pappy 20 for a year and a half that way. :slappin: Cheers to you Chuckles! Enjoy. Joe

TNbourbon
12-14-2010, 19:12
...but Oscar, if you want to drive to Chicago with a suitcase of cash, I'm sure we can work something out!

Well, that WAS the point of all this, now, wasn't it?:hot: And, Oscar, while truly, I don't begrudge you your pursuit and appreciation of such items -- because I know YOU will open, drink and share them -- please don't ever lambaste again those of us who see through these kinds of single-aim, profit-minded posters. You're not stupid, and neither are we.:pope:

Chuckles
12-15-2010, 15:13
[QUOTE=TNbourbon;226705]Well, that WAS the point of all this, now, wasn't it?

No, Tim, I was just trying to tease Oscar. I AM taking advice from this thread, and have already assembled several suggested wheaters to sample (still looking for a Pappy 15) before breaking open the VOF on a significant date next month. May also open the VVOF for comparison then, but plan to stretch the latter throughout 2011 per Joe's advice. I'll shut up now and study the site more thoroughly before saying anything else stupid.

ACDetroit
12-15-2010, 16:48
[/QUOTE] I'm no where near savvy enough to sell bourbon online, but Oscar, if you want to drive to Chicago with a suitcase of cash, I'm sure we can work something out![/QUOTE]

Please do not PM Oscar your address, I know him, he will be waiting on your front porch with
(a) his tongue out
(b) tail wagging
(c) glass in hand
Oh and (d) the suitcase of money you speak of!

As these were you fathers prizes, enjoy them. I'm sure you will and appreciate what has been left for you, it's fantastic stuff!

Chuckles
01-31-2011, 15:30
To complete this tale of the shot-and-a-beer guy in a quandary over the VOF/VVOF from his late father's cellar, I took advice from this thread and added premium bottles (ORVW 10/107, Weller Centennial, Pappy 20) to what I had in hand (relatively recent Jim Beam Black, Marker's Mark, Old FItz BIB) and worked on honing my bourbon palate. The three premiums are clearly better, although I didn't much care for the (black-foil) Centennial (too sweet for me, with a somewhat medicinal nose/aftertaste). The Pappy was almost too smooth and mellow; maybe too subtle for me. I loved the 10/107 (thanks Oscar), a complex, agreeable flavor with a touch of sweetness;, smooth yet with a bit of the bite I love in a bourbon; and a very satisfying aftertaste. On the anniversary of my Pappy's passing, I opened the half-pint of the VOF (BIB'68) to sample with a few friends. It was excellent, and my friends raved about it (I had to break out the Pappy 20 in order to save some VOF for later). For me, the VOF had great balance, wonderfully complex flavor, very smooth, with a little nectar-like touch; and I deemed it best in my collection. I had planned to save the fifth of VVOF (BIB'67) for a later special occasion, but knew I couldn't resist finishing off the VOF and wanted to compare them, so I opened the VVOF last weekend. Very similar to the VOF--better but I can't say it's half-again better. I was only able to pick it 2 out of 3 times in blind taste tests. Both bottles recalled the fine collectible Stitzel-Weller product my dad used to gift me with in the '70s. I will now try to stretch the VVOF out as long as possible, complementing it with treasures recommended by this site. Thanks guys. Sorry for the long post. -c

CorvallisCracker
01-31-2011, 15:38
Sorry for the long post.

No reason to apologize. Speaking only for myself, it's great that you opened these (rather than sold them) and shared them with friends. Thank you for the report.

fishnbowljoe
01-31-2011, 16:46
I agree with Scott, Charlie. I'm really glad you opened them and are enjoying and sharing them. Cheers to you! Joe

SMOWK
02-02-2011, 08:37
A "found these in my parents basement" story with a happy ending. Awesome! :grin::cool::grin::cool:

Chuckles
02-03-2011, 10:37
Some final tasting notes (What else to do in Chicago when snowed in?): I can now tell the VOF from the VVOF (three for three in recent blind taste tests). Still very similar in taste, but the VVOF has a stronger aroma (a most pleasing one) and a richer finish. The VOF is now gone, but not forgotten, and the VVOF will be treasured as long as possible. -c

squire
02-07-2011, 17:31
Great stuff Chuckles, welcome aboard.