PDA

View Full Version : Old Fitz Question

Neat
12-12-2010, 08:23
Still in the learning stage when it comes to some of the older bourbons: I saw some 750ml Old Fitz, green label, BIB, 100 proof, distilled DSP-KY-1 (Bernheim) and bottled at DSP-KY-31 (Bardstown). What am I looking at (i.e., how good is the juice relative to what is being released now)? I presume it's not SW (DSP-KY-16) - I'm not that lucky and I believe there are quite a few SB'ers here in Houston that would have beat me to those gems. Any info would be appreciated.

Josh
12-12-2010, 09:39
Isn't that the current version? Or is the current bottled at dsp 1?

At any rate, I think it's a decent value for the money. Not great, but decent. Pretty good for baking with too.

birdman1099
12-12-2010, 09:48
That would/could be current. The Old Fitz BIB labels have ben DSP1/DSP 31 since the late 1990's

T Comp
12-12-2010, 12:04
Still in the learning stage when it comes to some of the older bourbons: I saw some 750ml Old Fitz, green label, BIB, 100 proof, distilled DSP-KY-1 (Bernheim) and bottled at DSP-KY-31 (Bardstown). What am I looking at (i.e., how good is the juice relative to what is being released now)? I presume it's not SW (DSP-KY-16) - I'm not that lucky and I believe there are quite a few SB'ers here in Houston that would have beat me to those gems. Any info would be appreciated.

There is a thread here http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13542&highlight=old+fitzgerald, that can still be posted on, that will also add some opinions to your inquiry.

PaulO
12-12-2010, 14:08
I had some of this on Friday. The current Old Fitz BIB labels say distilled DSP 1, bottled DSP 31. Some other Heaven Hill brands say the same. Anyway, I'd say it's a pretty decent bourbon for well under $20 a 750ml. It's a wheated bourbon. Don't worry too much about not finding dusties. There is still plenty of good bourbon being bottled.:grin:

Neat
12-12-2010, 22:52
I had some of this on Friday. The current Old Fitz BIB labels say distilled DSP 1, bottled DSP 31. Some other Heaven Hill brands say the same. Anyway, I'd say it's a pretty decent bourbon for well under $20 a 750ml. It's a wheated bourbon. Don't worry too much about not finding dusties. There is still plenty of good bourbon being bottled.:grin:

Thanks for the kind words. I love quite a few of the current bourbons. I find the hunt itself to be fun - dangerous and so far not very fruitful but when I find a dusty or semi-dusty, it's great. :grin: