PDA

View Full Version : Tis the season for gifts in the mail

TomH
12-13-2010, 13:44
Just came in from shoveling the driveway (I really wanted to become a snowbird!) and picked up the mail. It included a small box from Maker's Mark, their annual Christmas gift. Opened it up and found a red plastic tray and a statement about bourbon balls. Anticipating 4 sweet chocolate bourbon morsels, I was disappointed when I opened it up and found it empty (did they forget to put the stuff in there?). Leave it to my wife to read the enclosed card which informed me that I now had a tray to make the big ice balls used in drinks - no longer disappointed (I always thought those things were neat - even though I don't use ice that often).

What are the other distilleries sending this year ?

Tom

CaptainQ
12-13-2010, 14:52
A hoilday email from Craig and Parker Beam.
http://i54.tinypic.com/1128xw7.jpg

fishnbowljoe
12-15-2010, 14:23
I received a calender in the mail today from Jack Daniels. I also received e-mails from Old Forester and Four Roses. Four Roses said to watch my mail for a gift arriving soon. :grin: Joe

barturtle
12-17-2010, 11:55
No glass this year from Four Roses. Got an ornament. Not sure how that applies to the Happy Hanukah wishes they express.

fishnbowljoe
12-18-2010, 15:04
I received my ornament from Four Roses, and bourbon ice cube ball tray from Maker's Mark today. Joe

callmeox
12-20-2010, 20:01
An ornament from Four Roses that arrived 34 cents postage due. :bigeyes:

You can't make stuff like that up.

DeanSheen
12-20-2010, 20:17

That's what you get for ogling the head of marketing. :grin:

Mines already on the tree.

barturtle
12-20-2010, 22:18

Call FR and complain, they'd probably put a 34 cent check in the mail with an additional stamp on it:lol:

CaptainQ
12-23-2010, 13:42
FedEx just dropped off a package from Heaven Hill. I opened it up to find a stack of one hundred or so black paper cocktail napkins. Printed on them in gold ink, "American Whiskey Collection". Underneath that they list their brands: EW, EC, Bernheim Wheat, PHC and Ritt. :thankyousign: HH.

nblair
12-23-2010, 14:03
I am digging the MM ice ball trays. I almost always drink my bourbon neat, but these will definitely come in handy for iced tea, soda, mixed drinks, etc. Melted ice ruins everything!

barturtle
12-25-2010, 14:10
Houston, we have a problem.

fishnbowljoe
12-25-2010, 16:39
Houston, we have a problem.

:slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

That's funny. I don't care who you are.

FWIW, they crack/pop too. I was having a mixed drink last night with my son. Had one of those in my rocks glass. Went to take a drink. "POP!" Sounded like a small firecracker going off. :bigeyes: Darn near pissed myself. :skep: Joe

hairbag
01-05-2011, 10:42
Barturtle are your balls to big ?? :bigeyes: :slappin:

HB

craigthom
01-06-2011, 05:33
I got a Bic lighter cover from Rebel Yell, which isn't as cool as the flask last year, but it's the thought that counts.

fishnbowljoe
12-07-2011, 14:39
Bumping this up for this years goodies. So far I've received the MM bottle sweater, and a calender from JD. Joe

p_elliott
12-08-2011, 09:01
Bumping this up for this years goodies. So far I've received the MM bottle sweater, and a calender from JD. Joe

Did you have a bottle of MM to put it on ?

fishnbowljoe
12-08-2011, 21:02
Did you have a bottle of MM to put it on ?

No, but I did put it on my Gibson's Canadian whiskey bottle. :grin:

Got another present in the mail today. I received a nice card and DVD from BT. Joe

StraightNoChaser
12-13-2011, 09:20
I don't have any Maker's so had to find another use for my bottle sweater

https://p.twimg.com/AgjvnMbCQAAc1Ur.jpg

p_elliott
12-13-2011, 09:30
Next year you will get a chunk of coal from MM.

Chuckles
12-14-2011, 12:12
How does one get on the gift lists?

barturtle
12-14-2011, 12:42
I don't have any Maker's so had to find another use for my bottle sweater

I'm wondering if I know anyone with a cat or dog small enough for it to fit...

Beer&Bourbon
12-14-2011, 13:30

I've been wondering this as well. Feel free to send a pm.

The first thing I thought about the Maker's sweater was that it would be a good dog sweater as well. I had to buy some for my family christmas card:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/_rogeraf_/6512566181/in/photostream

(We edited their eyes a bit more so they don't look quite as creepy.)

fishnbowljoe
12-14-2011, 14:00

For MM, just sign up to be a MM Ambassador. As far as most of the other distilleries go, just sign up on their websites. Joe

Dan_B
12-15-2011, 03:31
Received the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage personalized label the other day from the Bardstown Whiskey Society. Annoyingly, it has the 2002 date on it. The 2002 barrels won't be released until after the holidays, making my 2011 Holiday personalized message useless. :lol: I will just put it on the 2001 & pretend.

p_elliott
12-15-2011, 07:54

For Four Rose's google Mellow Moments Club it's not on their web site to sign up as I remember.

callmeox
12-15-2011, 19:18
Anything from FR this year? My ornament arrived 60 cents postage due last year...:skep:

mosugoji64
12-15-2011, 20:41
Received the MM bottle sweater today. It made me laugh. I'll have to take that to an "Ugly Christmas Sweater" party sometime. With a bottle, of course! :lol:

Jwilly019
12-15-2011, 21:11
I didn't receive a bottle sweater in the mail this year. Anyone get one that doesn't want it that you'd be willing to forward onto me?

For a fee of course. :grin:

Young Blacksmith
12-16-2011, 05:30
Thanks for the Mellow Moments tip, just signed up, hope I get my card before I head off to KY after Christmas!

kyrocklover
12-16-2011, 10:45
Just received a nice Four Roses 2011 CoasterStone. White with Mellow Moments Club over the centered four roses.

stevegoz
12-16-2011, 16:17
Finally got the sweater. Really pops on the Chicago Blackhawks Stanley Cup championship bottle.....

callmeox
12-16-2011, 18:45
I didn't receive a bottle sweater in the mail this year. Anyone get one that doesn't want it that you'd be willing to forward onto me?

For a fee of course. :grin:

Mine arrived today, so don't abandon hope just yet.

fishnbowljoe
12-16-2011, 19:25
Mine arrived today, so don't abandon hope just yet.

Postage due? :slappin:

barturtle
12-17-2011, 11:28
Anything from FR this year? My ornament arrived 60 cents postage due last year...:skep:

Yup. Mine arrived. More useful than the ornament.

fishnbowljoe
12-17-2011, 15:33
Just received a nice Four Roses 2011 CoasterStone. White with Mellow Moments Club over the centered four roses.

I received mine today. Joe

ThomasH
12-17-2011, 17:23
Mine arrived today too. A nice useful gift as usual!

Thomas

fishnbowljoe
11-30-2012, 14:57
Yet another holiday season is upon us. I received my annual gift from MM in the mail today. This year it's gag gift boxes that you can surprise friends with by putting bottles of MM in them. :rolleyes:

Tony
11-30-2012, 14:59
Yet another holiday season is upon us. I received my annual gift from MM in the mail today. This year it's gag gift boxes that you can surprise friends with by putting bottles of MM in them. :rolleyes:

That is funny, my wife made the same face as the smiley when she saw them.

Best regards, Tony

BigPenguin
11-30-2012, 15:24
How do you get on the list or whatever to get the funny gifts?

Bourbon Boiler
11-30-2012, 15:26
Yeah, this year's was pretty weak, especially since a bottle of Makers 46 won't fit. But, I'll never complain too hard about free.

Tucker
11-30-2012, 15:33
Well, we have a very fat cat and a son who might actually want a "chest hair waxing, tanning and styling kit". Now I just need to figure out what to put in the boxes.

Josh
11-30-2012, 17:20
How do you get on the list or whatever to get the funny gifts?

You have to become a Maker's Mark Ambassador. Go to their website and sign up.

callmeox
11-30-2012, 17:56
I'm giving booze presents to a couple family members, so the boxes will get used this time around.

GOCOUGS2002
12-02-2012, 19:42
Knob Creek's website allows you to write notes on Christmas Labels that they will send to you so you can put them on their bottles as gifts.

fishnbowljoe
12-15-2012, 22:03
And today, a calendar from Jack Daniels, and a card and magazine from BT.

MyOldKyDram
12-17-2012, 14:57
Got a Christmas card and a Mellow Moments keychain from Four Roses today. :)

fishnbowljoe
12-17-2012, 22:25

Got mine today too.

ebo
12-18-2012, 16:43

me too. :grin:

ebo
12-20-2012, 11:38
I used the ring from the keychain to hold my dog's tags on his collar. :grin:

Ejmharris
12-20-2012, 11:54
Got mine yesterday. I will have to look closer at card when I get home, but message from Jim appeared hand written. I only had a chance to look quickly on way out the door this morning but if he is handwriting them that is a very nice gesture.

Mike

callmeox
12-20-2012, 12:19
Jim also signs the birthday cards. :thumbup:

squire
12-20-2012, 12:42
I assume we're talking about Jim Rutledge here fellows?

Ejmharris
12-20-2012, 15:00
I assume we're talking about Jim Rutledge here fellows?

Sorry about that squire, yes I was referring to Jim Rutledge. I thought I had copied the previous post mentioning the 4R's keychain.

Mike

mosugoji64
12-20-2012, 21:02
Jim also signs the birthday cards. :thumbup:

It still floors me that he takes the time to sign all of this stuff. He earned my loyalty. It doesn't hurt that the whiskey is good, too. :grin:

squire
12-21-2012, 11:48
Could be my short attention span Mike, that sort of thing happens when you get older. The down side is I can't remember a darn thing but the upside is I always have to tell the truth so I don't have to try and recall what story I told.

univibe88
12-21-2012, 15:27
MM forgot about me this year :(

I just signed up as an ambassador in Dec '11. In August they sent me a folder with a certificate and business cards. But Xmas swag for me.

mosugoji64
12-21-2012, 23:42

I just signed up as an ambassador in Dec '11. In August they sent me a folder with a certificate and business cards. But Xmas swag for me.

You're not alone. I got the sweater last year but nothing this year. From what others have posted, we're not missing anything. FR remembered me, and I'm cool with that.

stevegoz
12-27-2012, 22:27

You're not alone. I got the sweater last year but nothing this year. From what others have posted, we're not missing anything. FR remembered me, and I'm cool with that.

Me three. Happy to have the 4R keychain, though!

mosugoji64
11-23-2013, 13:51
Looks like it's that time again. The MM bottle nightcap arrived today. Anyone else receiving distillery goodies yet?

mhatzung
11-23-2013, 20:58
I got my nightcap a few days ago. That kind of thing builds more brand loyalty than is should, I'm ashamed to say. I'm even thinking about serving Maker's Mark to guests who ask for it. Normally discouraged it before.:grin:

RVTsteve
11-23-2013, 21:11
I got mine yesterday. I totally forgot I had signed up. It's a totally ridiculous thing, but all in fun and good cheer! When I opened it with a smile my girlfriend looked at me like I was a total weirdo (but that's nothing new) and she just slowly backed out of the room.

fishnbowljoe
11-23-2013, 22:02
Any kind of gift at all is much better than a sharp stick in the eye. At least some of the distilleries try and reward their loyal customers. However "cheesy", I enjoy whatever gifts I receive from any distillery. It's all good. :grin:

darylld911
11-24-2013, 03:58
I know when we got the "bottle sweaters" a couple years back, I thought they were cute. Then my wife had the brilliant idea of stuffing one of our cats into it. I said "That's too small, they won't fit", which apparently sounded like a dare/challenge. And, she was right (although we had to cut it off the poor guy as it was REALLY snug!)

The cats were excited to see the boxes last year :D

squire
11-24-2013, 06:36
Yeah, being cats they assume it's for them.

darylld911
11-24-2013, 07:26
Yeah, being cats they assume it's for them.

Or just that it wasn't something they would be tortured with :lol: Although the chunky cat did raise her eyebrow at the "Me-WOW Cat Weights" box, wondering if MM was sending her a message :D

silverfish
11-24-2013, 12:15
...I'm ashamed to say. I'm even thinking about serving Maker's Mark to guests who ask for it.

Not sure what Miss Manners would say but if you're having guests who you
know will ask for MM, might be a good idea to have some handy. That way
you'll come across as a good host and they'll be happy. Another plus if they'll
leave your "good stuff" alone but the downside is you won't be able to expand
their bourbon horizons.

callmeox
11-24-2013, 12:25
I know when we got the "bottle sweaters" a couple years back, I thought they were cute. Then my wife had the brilliant idea of stuffing one of our cats into it. I said "That's too small, they won't fit", which apparently sounded like a dare/challenge. And, she was right (although we had to cut it off the poor guy as it was REALLY snug!)

The cats were excited to see the boxes last year :D

That poor cat.

squire
11-24-2013, 12:50
I've always made a practice of serving my friends whatever they want.

darylld911
11-24-2013, 13:46
That poor cat.

Yeah - I protested, but know which side my bread is buttered on :)

darylld911
11-24-2013, 13:49

Agree - we have very few guests who enjoy whiskey, but when we do - I'm happy to pour anything I have open already. It hasn't come up, but if someone wanted a whiskey sour, I likely wouldn't offer "anything", but certainly no less than I'd put in my own.

mbroo5880i
11-24-2013, 15:09

I always serve my friends whatever they want based on what I have. I have a wide variety of bourbons, ryes, other spirits and mixers plus beer. They can usually find something they like. The only thing I don't normally have is wine. If they ask what to bring, I tell them an inexpensive bottle of something tasty for the ladies (those that don't drink mixed drinks or beer, of course).

Tony Santana
11-25-2013, 08:27
After the whiskey category, the most variety we have at our house is wine, with at least a dozen bottles. But we have most of the major liquors (vodka, gin, rum, brandy, tequila, etc.) and I'll gladly serve whatever guests desire. That said, I'd probably refuse anyone who wanted to just dump Coke into a bourbon that cost more than $30 a bottle. I'd talk them off that ledge.

squire
11-25-2013, 08:46
I would open the Coke for them. Friends are important, whisky is just whisky.

Tony Santana
11-25-2013, 09:22
Honestly squire, I haven't yet had to make that decision. All my whiskey drinking friends either like it neat or on the rocks, or if they mix it they're basic Jack and Coke sorts anyway. You make a good point, but if confronted with the situation I still think I'd be inclined to try to talk them out of it.

squire
11-25-2013, 09:38
Elmer T. Lee drank his Bourbon over ice mixed with Sprite. Would you call him a 'Jack & Coke sort' who didn't know better? Out of respect for others I don't substitute my judgment for theirs or presume to say what they should do.

Tony Santana
11-25-2013, 10:07
Yeah, I heard that about Elmer T. Lee. Believe me, I didn't mean the phrase "Jack and Coke sort" in a derogatory fashion - I always figured when it comes to bourbon (or music, or movies, or many things for that matter), people will like what they like, for whatever reason. I may think they haven't a clue as to what's really good, but I bite my tongue and let it be. I don't expect anyone to bow down to my tastes either.

So, in the spirit of the holidays, and in deference to your status as one who'd likely closer to Bourbon Zen than I, you've talked me into your way of thinking. If they want to mix my WLW with lemonade, I'll just shudder and let them.

mhatzung
11-25-2013, 11:10
Not sure what Miss Manners would say but if you're having guests who you
know will ask for MM, might be a good idea to have some handy. That way
you'll come across as a good host and they'll be happy. Another plus if they'll
leave your "good stuff" alone but the downside is you won't be able to expand
their bourbon horizons.

Wow, I guess I need to learn how to write tongue in cheek better. I guess my post didn't come across as I intended it. I have Maker's on hand and have and will serve it if that's what someone wants. I try to always help my company leave happy!

MauiSon
11-26-2013, 18:36
Elmer may have said that, but who says it wasn't tongue-in-cheek too!

squire
11-26-2013, 19:00
It wasn't . . . . . . . . .

Restaurant man
11-27-2013, 09:31
Elmer T. Lee drank his Bourbon over ice mixed with Sprite. Would you call him a 'Jack & Coke sort' who didn't know better? Out of respect for others I don't substitute my judgment for theirs or presume to say what they should do.

Oh what a wonderful world it could be.....

Flyfish
11-27-2013, 16:29
My sisters and their husbands are coming for the holidays. They prefer what I consider really bad wine. Not just cheap wine but BAD wine. The equivalent of Kool-Aid with vodka. So I buy the bad wine, light a nice fire, and pour myself some bourbon. Everybody is happy.

oke&coke
11-27-2013, 16:47
My sisters and their husbands are coming for the holidays. They prefer what I consider really bad wine. Not just cheap wine but BAD wine. The equivalent of Kool-Aid with vodka. So I buy the bad wine, light a nice fire, and pour myself some bourbon. Everybody is happy.
Except kool-aid and vodka might actually be good. I'm guessing the stuff they drink makes box wine taste high end.

squire
11-28-2013, 18:20
So I buy the bad wine, light a nice fire, and pour myself some bourbon. Everybody is happy.

Be it ever so humble.