PDA

View Full Version : A Quick Hello from Hamilton, Ontario

dbk
12-13-2010, 19:52
Hi SB folks,

As a new member, I thought I'd say a quick "hello" from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. This year, I've taken the plunge into whiskey in a major way, and bourbon is tops on my list. I look forward to learning what—after several searches seems to me like a vast amount—this community has to teach me.

Great American whiskey is tough to find in Ontario—especially at a reasonable price—due to a government-controlled alcohol monopoly, but they do bring in a few good ones on occasion, and the US border isn't too far a drive from here. I'm always on the lookout for more of the good stuff, and look forward to any suggestions you might have.

Cheers, and thanks for having me here.

Danny

ACDetroit
12-13-2010, 20:47
Welcome Danny,

I'm as my screen name might state not far from Ontario myself, I'll be in Windsor and Petrolia tomorrow. Now and then I make it up to Brampton, which I believe takes me through Hamilton on the 401. Anyway if you do make it to this side of the river let me know and we can grab a pour or two. Best buy for you is the Detroit duty free going into Windsor, they carry Wild Turkey 8yr old Liters for $19.99 (you can not beat it). Enjoy your journey as well as your stay here, there's quite a bit to read, I know I found myself lost on here for hours reading when I first started. Good luck and again welcome.

Tony

dbk
12-14-2010, 05:09
Hi Tony,

Nice to meet a "local" member! I've been by Windsor and Petrolia, but not yet through to Detroit. Should I make my way over there sometime, I will definitely take you up on your offer for a pour, and check out the duty free no less. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Danny

Josh
12-14-2010, 06:32
Hi Tony,

Nice to meet a "local" member! I've been by Windsor and Petrolia, but not yet through to Detroit. Should I make my way over there sometime, I will definitely take you up on your offer for a pour, and check out the duty free no less. Thanks for the tip!

Cheers,

Danny

Even better, come over for one of our Michigan Bourbon hounds get togethers! Speaking of...we need to get together again soon.

And welcome!

p_elliott
12-14-2010, 08:10
Welcome aboard Danny I hope you enjoy the site. Post often and give us your thoughts. Ask any questions you might have, join us in chat ( the gazebo top of main forum page). Take my good friend Tony up on his offer to meet up for a drink or two he's a trip and knows a shit pot full of stuff about bourbon.

Josh
12-14-2010, 08:12
Take my good friend Tony up on his offer to meet up for a drink or two he's a trip and knows a shit pot full of stuff about bourbon.

That's a beautiful image there, Paul.

And it goes without saying that you are welcome anytime at chez Josh, dbk. But if I had the choice between diving into Tony's stash and my stash, I would take Tony's every time!

dbk
12-14-2010, 11:40
Gents,

Thanks for all the invites and the friendly welcome! Around here, it's normally my stash that gets rummaged through. It'll be nice to have options when I head over by Michigan way ;) The offer of course extends back to those of you who might find yourselves in Hamilton.

Danny

fishnbowljoe
12-14-2010, 14:43
Welcome to SB Danny. It's always nice to have another member from our neighbor to the north. :grin: Enjoy the site, and have some fun. Joe

PS. Hope you're surviving the weather okay. It's bad here, so I can only imagine what it's like around you. Saw some footage on CNN today. :bigeyes:

silverfish
12-14-2010, 20:30
Gents,
Thanks for all the invites and the friendly welcome! Around here, it's normally my stash that gets rummaged through. It'll be nice to have options when I head over by Michigan way ;) The offer of course extends back to those of you who might find yourselves in Hamilton.

I'm down here in Western NY (near Buffalo) and back in the day,
I was able to talk a driving friend into heading up to more than one
concert at Copps Colsium. Always had a great time up there and
that was before my "bourbon phase" (it was strictly Jack & Coke
back then.)

Enjoy your stay here at SB.

imbibehour
12-15-2010, 12:49
Hi Danny nice to meet you.

I know what you're saying about the liquor laws and costs and availability in Canada. I was born and raised there myself (although not Ontario).

We got a good community down here so welcome and check everything out.