PDA

View Full Version : Early Times releases new BOURBON

TomFischer
12-16-2010, 13:05
Early Times will release a new BOURBON (not a Kentucky Whisky) in January 2011 it will be called Early Times 354 Bourbon (http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2010/12/15/early-times-354-bourbon/). The new brand is named "354" for the original permit number for the distillery and it will be bottled at 80 proof. More details and bottle photo on this link: Early Times 354 Bourbon (http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2010/12/15/early-times-354-bourbon/).

Sounds like the current Early Times 354 Kentucky Whisky will still be available as well.

JohnHansell
12-16-2010, 13:57
Yeah, I mentioned it here (http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2010/11/16/early-times-becomes-a-bourbon-with-new-release/)last month. I have a sample and reviewed it too. I just need to write it up and post it.

callmeox
12-16-2010, 14:03
Blog Fight!!!!!!!
http://serve.mysmiley.net/fighting/fighting0061.gif (http://serve.mysmiley.net/fighting/fighting0061.gif)

Josh
12-16-2010, 14:55
Somebody who shall remain nameless also started a thread on it while back: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14878

flintlock
12-16-2010, 18:51
Do most people really care if there is yet another low proof bargain bourbon on the market? I personally don't care much about the branding, I care about proof and age and mashbill. Does branding really make that much difference? I don't understand the business, I suppose.

cowdery
12-16-2010, 18:57
Do most people really care if there is yet another low proof bargain bourbon on the market? I personally don't care much about the branding, I care about proof and age and mashbill. Does branding really make that much difference? I don't understand the business, I suppose.

I was in the room when Brown-Forman annouced its decision to change Early Times from a bourbon to a Kentucky whisky 25 years ago. They declared at the time, "people don't buy types, they buy brands."

Were they/are they right? A little product of theirs called Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey hasn't suffered too much from not being bourbon.

To me, Early Times 354 Bourbon is a response to Beam's decision to release the slightly upgraded Old Crow Reserve. Old Crow and Early Times play in the same market space.

JohnHansell
12-17-2010, 05:58
Good point, Chuck!

BourbonJoe
12-17-2010, 10:39
If it was 90 or 100 proof I might try it. I won't at 80.
Joe :usflag:

gblick
12-17-2010, 11:44
If it was 90 or 100 proof I might try it. I won't at 80.
Joe :usflag:Me neither, Joe.
The only thing I have that's 80 proof is some dusty OF Prime.

smokinjoe
12-17-2010, 12:00
OK, you two. I'll play Mikey, and I'll try it! :D
I've spent $16 in worse ways.
:toast:

cowdery
12-17-2010, 16:07
Anyone know the age? ET KY whisky is 36 months.

JohnHansell
12-18-2010, 06:41
There's no age statement on the label, and it is a straight bourbon, so that would make it at least four years, right? (I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so let me know if I am not thinking straight here.)

cowdery
12-18-2010, 10:19
There's no age statement on the label, and it is a straight bourbon, so that would make it at least four years, right? (I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so let me know if I am not thinking straight here.)

That's correct. I just don't have a label to look at and it's usually in mouse type on the side somewhere, so the photo of the label doesn't count.

mrt
12-18-2010, 14:05
I purchased a bottle of Early Times bourbon here in Turkey a few years ago. I really liked it then. For me-as a curious novice when compared with many connoisseurs here-it was a mellow, easy to drink bourbon with a good caramel flavour. I remember starting a new thread about it.
It was different stuff from ET in the US. It was the ET bourbon which was produced for export marktes. May this new ET bourbon be the one I tasted?

JohnHansell
12-19-2010, 11:59
That's correct. I just don't have a label to look at and it's usually in mouse type on the side somewhere, so the photo of the label doesn't count.

Judging by the way it tastes, I don't think it's too much more than four years old. Picking up lots of corn, too.

White Dog
12-19-2010, 12:10
If it's an Early Times Bourbon NAS, it's safe to say that it's not a day over 48 months. I mean, come on, is there any doubt? :lol: :lol:

MissinER101
12-20-2010, 05:47
80 proof :22:

After 20 months there are soooooo many bourbons to taste :drink:

squire
12-20-2010, 10:01
Four years and a day more likely.

pepcycle
12-20-2010, 10:47
I'm pretty sure, "We" are not the intended demographic.

I am glad to see movement in the upward direction from "Whiskey" to "Bourbon"

In this day of dumbing down proofs, ages etc, this might be considered a baby step up.

Anyone think they'll upgrade the Juleps at The Derby to bourbon from the current whiskey

phil4100
12-20-2010, 15:01
Straight means at least two years old... not four. See chapter 4 of the beverage alcohol manual on the TTB website: http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter4.pdf

White Dog
12-20-2010, 15:15
Straight means at least two years old... not four. See chapter 4 of the beverage alcohol manual on the TTB website: http://www.ttb.gov/spirits/bam/chapter4.pdf

You are correct on that, but as the previous post also said, "There's no age statement on the label, and it is a Straight Bourbon." If it's "straight" AND under 4 years, they must list the exact age. Straight NAS= Min. 4 years.

Plus, you must have some pretty big balls to try to school Cowdery and Hansell on your first post. Is it hard for you to walk with all that brass? :slappin: :slappin: :slappin:

pepcycle
12-20-2010, 15:18
You beat my post by a few seconds so I'll edit it out.

See Chapter 5 of the same document on age. (5.40 to be exact)

Big and Brass for sure.

phil4100
12-20-2010, 15:20
Sorry dog... didn't mean to offend...

White Dog
12-20-2010, 15:29
Sorry dog... didn't mean to offend...

You're not offending me, but you may want to google Chuck Cowdery and John Hansell.

CorvallisCracker
12-20-2010, 15:52
You're not offending me, but you may want to google Chuck Cowdery and John Hansell.

For some reason, this reminded me of a certain episode of 30 Rock (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bdlMFF2K34)

Josh
12-20-2010, 16:39
I googled myself just this morning.

This one goes out to Phil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjkJfMrQ4bc

:lol: Welcome to SB.com!

callmeox
12-20-2010, 20:22
That's got to be one of the most memorable first posts in a long time. :lol:

http://tealzeal.mlblogs.com/blogimages/con_dos_cojones.jpg

jburlowski
12-31-2010, 10:04
ET 354 KSBW just hit the shelves locally. Attractive packaging. About $14.

I didn't pull the trigger.

tmckenzie
12-31-2010, 17:23
I went by the party source on my way back to ny and it was on the shelves for 13 bucks. I got a bottle. From what I can tell so far it is a solid, well priced bourbon. I get some corn, but a good rye fruitiness. If I had to say, I think it may be the et mashbill with the old forester yeast. I was pleasantly surprised.

cowdery
01-01-2011, 12:17
My assumption is that it is the same ET bourbon they're selling in Europe. I can't see any reason for them to have made a different recipe.

craigthom
01-03-2011, 18:08
I saw it today, and it's an awfully fancy package for a $15 bourbon.

I was working at a liquor store back when they switched ET from bourbon to "Kentucky whiskey". I noticed it, but I don't think too many others did, and I don't think any of the regular buyers noticed or cared.

If I could go back in time, I could pick up some bottles for a taste test, but I'd rather bring back a few cases of Lem Motlow, which I am pretty sure I could have purchased for under $5 a bottle with my employee discount.

Josh
01-03-2011, 18:43
If I could go back in time, I could pick up some bottles for a taste test, but I'd rather bring back a few cases of Lem Motlow, which I am pretty sure I could have purchased for under $5 a bottle with my employee discount.

There's a whiskey you don't hear much nostolgia for.:skep:

ThomasH
01-03-2011, 22:40
I have a full unopened bottle of ET bourbon from before they took it of the US market. I wil defnitely get a bottle of the new stuff to do a comparson!

Thomas

craigthom
01-04-2011, 07:30
There's a whiskey you don't hear much nostolgia for.:skep:

You'd think so, but check what it's going for these days. Jack Daniel's collectors really want their Lem Motlow.

Josh
01-04-2011, 07:38
You'd think so, but check what it's going for these days. Jack Daniel's collectors really want their Lem Motlow.

Wow. :bigeyes: Those Jack collectors are nuts.

unclebunk
01-04-2011, 11:35
Still looking for the "new" Early Times bourbon but haven't found it yet. I guess I'll have to make a run to Binny's. Oh, and while I'm there I'll have to get some Guinness FES, and some more WT101, and another bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream for the wife, and the Amrut Fusion I've been eyeing. Damn, a man could go broke buying some Early Times!:lol:

squire
01-04-2011, 12:08
I'll hold off until some tasting notes are posted.

TomFischer
01-16-2011, 22:59
We attended the ET 354 launch party last week, did a video review & interview with Master Distiller Chris Morris on this link - Early Times 354 (http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2011/01/11/early-times-354-bourbon-launch-party-and-review/)

Looking forward to this one being available everywhere.

JohnHansell
01-17-2011, 10:36
I'll hold off until some tasting notes are posted.

I'm not very crazy about it. Evan Williams is better and less expensive (IMHO). Here's (http://www.whatdoesjohnknow.com/2011/01/11/review-early-times-354-bourbon/)my formal review.

squire
01-17-2011, 12:55
Thanks John, just what I asked for, I was hoping for more of a step up in this bottling.

fishnbowljoe
01-17-2011, 17:26
Ditto here. Thanks John. I was really wondering about this. I bought a bottle of their 150th Anniversary Whiskey, and while I wasn't impressed, it was palatable. Maybe I can get a couple of my bowling buddies to chip in on a bottle and save some money. :lol: Cheers! Joe

OscarV
01-18-2011, 12:01
Evan Williams is better and less expensive

And more expensive than EW?
Any word on what the age may be?
How old is Old Forester?

fishnbowljoe
02-06-2011, 14:28
What's the price on that 354?
And how much more is it than ET KY Whiskey?
And how does it taste?
That's 3 questions.
Is that to many?
Opps that makes 4 questions.:bigeyes:

Price. $15.00
Price vs. regular ET. Don't know. Didn't bother to look. :rolleyes:
Taste. It's just okay. Nothing to write home about. You can definitely tell it's a Brown Forman product. There's a vague resemblance to the Old Forester Repeal bourbon. Much lighter and not as flavorful though. Plenty of corn, that's for sure.
Too many questions. No. Glad you can still count. :lol:

Even though I don't particularly care too much for the ET 354, IMHO it is a much better attempt at a "new" product, than what came about with the Old Crow Reserve. The ET 354 is, at the very least palatable. I had to pour my Old Crow Reserve down the drain. I won't pour this one down the drain. Joe

jburlowski
02-06-2011, 14:47
Now that's a ringing endorsement, Joe. :lol:

cowdery
02-07-2011, 11:42
I can see the shelf talker now: "I won't throw it down the drain." - Joe

Virus_Of_Life
02-07-2011, 12:25
This is disappointing. I personally love the OF Repeal and think it was damn good bourbon so I can't imagine why they can't come up with another decent product.

fishnbowljoe
02-07-2011, 15:06

Well..........:skep: :lol: Joe

cowdery
02-07-2011, 21:25
All I meant is that I am sure they will take any endorsement they can get.

keng
03-03-2011, 20:30
I decided I'd pick this up while at the store without any preconceived ideas since I hadn't read anything on this one. I'm having a glass right now and it isn't bad. Unfortunately, it really isn't impressive either. Seems flat.

I'll finish no doubt.

gblick
03-04-2011, 07:26
A merchant tossed a 50ml of this (as well as some other things) into my bag, so I got to taste it. It's a step up from the blend.

smokinjoe
03-05-2011, 13:30
I picked up a bottle of this yesterday. $13.99, and a neck hanger with a $2.00 off mail in coupon.

The first thing I noticed was the sweet and ripe banana nose, ala Jack Daniel's. A little Juicy Fruitish, as well. Not as full on the banana as JD, but surely there, IMO. Upon sipping, it continued to remind me of Daniel's whiskey, but a little drier, and frankly not as good. And, I'm no big fan of Old No. 7. The ET is definitely youngish. This is complete conjecture here, but, I think B-F is modeling this whiskey more along the lines of a JD taste profile, rather than an Old Forester. All in all...it's OK. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I would prefer the Old Crow Reserve line extension, in a match-up. I may not necessarily seek out this ET in the future, but I'm always glad to see, and more than willing to lay out my money to try, new offerings from the bourbon producers.

jburlowski
03-05-2011, 19:01
I picked up a bottle of this yesterday. $13.99, and a neck hanger with a $2.00 off mail in coupon.

The first thing I noticed was the sweet and ripe banana nose, ala Jack Daniel's. A little Juicy Fruitish, as well. Not as full on the banana as JD, but surely there, IMO. Upon sipping, it continued to remind me of Daniel's whiskey, but a little drier, and frankly not as good. And, I'm no big fan of Old No. 7. The ET is definitely youngish. This is complete conjecture here, but, I think B-F is modeling this whiskey more along the lines of a JD taste profile, rather than an Old Forester. All in all...it's OK. If my memory serves me correctly, I believe I would prefer the Old Crow Reserve line extension, in a match-up. I may not necessarily seek out this ET in the future, but I'm always glad to see, and more than willing to lay out my money to try, new offerings from the bourbon producers.

I recently got to try this. Joe nailed it in his tasting notes.

Not bad by any measure but not worth the price.

cowdery
03-06-2011, 10:58
Everybody here is very aware that 354 is bourbon and standard ET is not. To the ET drinker it's mainly a variation of and step up from standard ET, so the price is a little higher and while the taste is different, it's relatable. With all of these line extensions you have to remember that they are trying to appeal to regular drinkers of the standard product first. That's what these are for, to give the regular drinker of ET or Maker's or Old Crow or Jim Beam, who may have the itch to try something different, a way to scratch that itch within the same brand family. They have to get that right. If they get new drinkers too, that's gravy.

B3Nut
03-12-2011, 18:57

LOL! I wouldn't either, but I wouldn't toss the Old Crow Reserve I tried last summer at a restaurant either, my sample was pretty good. Not as good as OGD BIB for a low-buck pour but I thought it more flavorful than Beam White. This new Early Times is better than the blend, which *is* a whisky I will pour down the drain...it's the only whisky I've ever sinked. The rest got drowned in Coke, and it's barely competent at that.

Todd in Cheesecurdistan

cowdery
03-13-2011, 19:35
For the record, Early Times Kentucky Whiskey is not a blend. It is whiskey, period. Not blended whiskey.

mrt
04-03-2011, 09:15
ET Bourbon seems to have received more favourable comments here when compared to ET Whiskey that has been on the market for years. When I started a thread about ET Bourbon (the one available for export markets then), ET Whiskey had receieved much negative comments. To me, this is encouraging, because I liked what I had at that time, and I will be looking forward to see the new stuff here.

OscarV
04-03-2011, 11:09
Hey mrt, long time no see.
Glad you are still around.
Yes I agree, it's seems ET is getting a bit more love around here recently.

mrt
04-03-2011, 14:49
Hi OscarV,

Thanks for the kind reply. I've been here, and I'm happy to be here.

Maybe I should write more frequently ;)

Regards,