PDA

View Full Version : What Rum Do You Drink Neat?

CL
03-17-2003, 17:45
I have had a few specialty rums, but, I really know very little about rum. I came across Appleton Estate 12 yo here in NC and have stuck with it.

With warm weather ahead, what rum do you like?

ratcheer
03-17-2003, 18:29
For drinking straight, I have a strong affection for Mt. Gay Eclipse Sugar Cane Brandy. I think it is from Barbados. I haven't had any for several years (about 10).

Tim

SteelerFan
03-17-2003, 19:03
You might want to try Flor de Cana "Centenaro" 12 yr old I was in Honduras two weeks ago and this was a very
popular rum. $12 in Honduras, $25 - $30 in the states.

Speedy_John
03-18-2003, 08:45
I'm not a big rum fan, but recently I received a sample of Zaya rum and was quite taken with it. It didn't have the burnt rubber notes that I get from many aged rums. Very smooth, complex and dangerously drinkable http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/tongue.gif

SpeedyJohn

pepcycle
03-18-2003, 12:59
CL,
I was trapped by marketing hype and bought a "new" rum. Its called Cayopa. I read about it in Barbados, but couldn't acquire in the duty free stores. I bought it when I got back home. The bottle has music chip in the base that plays Caribbean music. This rum is dark, strong, mellow, and extremely smooth, but not worth $40. I've had it neat and on the rocks. I probably won't buy again, but had to try it once.

texascarl
03-18-2003, 16:42
For sipping neat I prefer Bacardi 8 Anos, a smooth blend of rums at least 8 years old. Like most rum, it's aged in used oak barrels (old bourbon oak barrels never die, they just move south and help to mellow out the rum). Dark golden color, a light molasses/vanilla nose. Very smooth & sweet, 80 proof. Fine served in a snifter, but make mine on the rocks, twist of lemon with a coke or ginger beer, back. I also like Ron Bacardi (http://www.bacardi.com/) Anejo, Solera and Select bottlings, all tasty & reasonably priced. I usually have all of these on the rum shelf.

Appleton (http://www.appletonrum.com/) Estate premium, VX and Extra are nice. Usually a good buy, I keep one or 2 bottles around here. I haven't tried their 21 year old, tho'. Saveur (http://www.saveur.com/article.jsp?ID=4685&typeID=100) did a nice little write up on them.

For sipping neat I like dark rums or black rums like the Bacardi Select, above. These black rums have a deep, rich taste, with ice and lemon/lime they're a good sip. My old stand-by was Myers but my recent preference is Gosling's Black Seal. (http://www.blackseal.com/)

Haitian Rhum Barbancourt (http://barbancourt.net/) is another dark favorite, the older (5 star = 8 years) is better & worth the extra $$$ IMHO.

I'll watch for the Flor de Cana (http://www.flordecana.com/) recommended, I've heard good reports on it. I'm also watching for Prichards (http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/pages/home.html) rum, made in Tennessee. They use Louisiana 'first grade A fancy' molasses, and new oak 15 gallon barrels (charred). I think most of us would agree there's something to be said for aging spirits in new charred white oak.

Gillman
03-18-2003, 16:54
Interested in your expression, "ginger ale or coke, back". I haven't heard the expression "back" used that way. I have heard Americans in Canada order a "waterback", or "side of water". Canadians do not use these terms although our bartenders understand them. Does, "coke, back" mean a drink of coke taken separate from the liquor, not in it? Why "back", does that mean, to chase, so to follow a swallow of straight liquor?

Cy

CL
03-18-2003, 17:11
Thanks for the info, Carl. I will have to keep an eye out for some of the suggestions.

Using your URLs, I went to the Appleton's site and saw that what we get in NC is the Special and the Estate VX. I buy the VX, but have never had the Special. And it was the 21 yo that I've had at Bahama Breeze in Raleigh. (They have a Bahama Breeze in Louisville, near St. Mathews, I believe.)

I also have a bottle of Goslings and drink it when I want a heavier rum.

<edit>
I just checked the WV spirits catalog. It includes the AE Extra and AE 21 yo. http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif
<end>

MurphyDawg
03-19-2003, 00:33
Nothing fancy, mostly I drink Gosling's Black Seal when having rum.

TomC

texascarl
03-19-2003, 09:37
If I understand your question...yes, ordering "rum with a coke, back" is asking for "rum with a coke chaser". Coke served in a separate glass, and sipped after you sip the rum.

tlsmothers
02-18-2004, 13:28
You should check out Pyrat XO. This stuff rocks. When I take a break from bourbon as a nightcap, this is what goes down the hatch. Vanilla, caramel smooth yumminess. Comes in handblown glass bottles. A Barcardi sales rep actually introduced me to it, saying he thought it was better than any Barcardi product he had ever tried.

tommy
02-18-2004, 17:02
I know we state-run alcohol people whine a lot, but I'll go there again. Waahhh! Just another spirit VA doesn't think I should try. On the bright side, I can have all the Cabana Boy Pineapple Coconut rum that I want. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/bs.gif

TNbourbon
02-18-2004, 21:22
There is a relatively new rum made right here in Tennessee (a county away from JD and Dickel, but in the same general neighborhood) called Prichard's that's distilled from Louisiana cane molasses and is promoted for drinking neat. It ain't bad! I also have the Cruzan 5yo Estate Diamond rum on hand.

Dave_in_Canada
02-19-2004, 10:22
I learned something today! I didn't know that people actually drink their rum neat. Something I'd like to try if there were any specialty rums available here. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

pepcycle
02-19-2004, 10:43
Check this thread.
Prichard's Rum (http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=17609&page=&view=&sb= 5&o=)

tlsmothers
02-19-2004, 11:05
Darn! Don't see it listed in the BevMedia wholesale guide here. Hmmmm...wonder if I could get some of that distributed here?

gr8erdane
02-19-2004, 16:10
I second the nomination on Pyrat XO. The reason I opted for it the first time was that it had just a regular cork stuck in the top of the hand blown bottle. Never mind all the frilly ribbons. When I tried it, I was amazed. Move over Captain Morgan, the Pyrat sinks the Pirate easily.

TNbourbon
02-19-2004, 18:26
Check out Prichards' website (http://www.prichardsdistillery.com/) -- it seems not to have been updated for a while, but I know it's still operating; there was a big splash in the Tennessean newspaper recently.
Also, Ministry of Rum (http://www.ministryofrum.com/prichards.html) provides a description.

tlsmothers
02-21-2004, 16:31
Thanks for that link. I emailed them about NY distribution. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

wrbriggs
10-11-2004, 07:14
I've been enjoying some Cruzan Estate Single Barrel rum. I have heard great things about the Appleton brand, but have only been able to try their V/X bottling, which is probably better as a mixer than drunk neat.

ratcheer
10-11-2004, 15:11
My favorite that I have ever had is Mt. Gay Sugar Cane Brandy from Barbados. It has been several years since I had any and all I can remember is that it was very yummy and smooth. ("Yummy" is a technical term http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Tim

Gillman
10-11-2004, 16:02
I plump for Gosling from Bermuda, which has a very deep, molasses flavour with accents that remind me of cardomon and other curry-like spices. A fine dram.

Gary

tlsmothers
10-11-2004, 18:10
The Prichards made it to NY. We got the Sweet Georgia Belle Peach Mango Liqueur and the dark rum. The dark rum smells like buttered pecans to me.

TNbourbon
10-11-2004, 20:31
Let us know what you think. I think it's a fine drink neat.

wadewood
10-11-2004, 21:30
Inner Circle Green Dot and 23 YO Ron Zacapa Centenario!

Vision
10-11-2004, 21:54
I have some Capt Morgan and Myers dark. I can't drink either neat.

tlsmothers
10-14-2004, 19:02
The rum liqueur fooled me. It smelled tropical and sweet, but finished off like an aged rum.I totally wasn't expecting that. Kinda nice surprise.

The dark rum, as I mentioned, smells delightful. It really made me think of buttered pecan ice cream initially. A deeper nosing brought out more of a black walnut aroma. The finish on this rum is lightly smokey, almost Highland Scotch like. I'm really intrigued.

empire
10-15-2004, 04:58
Dont know if you guys can get it, but a friend of mine brought over a bottle of Matusalem rum over to a poker night we were having,the stuff is fantastic! Lovely white rum that has a nice crisp clean finish with nothing to overpowering, the stuff is easily (maybe too easily) drinkable straight. I recommend this stuff highly for any rum drinkers out there.

dgonano
10-15-2004, 06:06
My favorite that I have ever had is Mt. Gay Sugar Cane Brandy from Barbados

This is one of my favorites also. You can get this in the U.S.A. but it is labeled as "Sugar Cane Rum".

Bacardi Ron Anos 8 is another sipper that I enjoy.

Ghoste
11-13-2004, 20:04
Getting in this one very late but my preference is a Barbados rum called Cockspur Dark.
I had a real rum fetish going for a few years and I have decided preference for the dark ones. The darker the better. I tend to prefer the Barbados rums. I don't particularly like the Jamaican ones, they have a nasty aftertaste.

scubadoo97
11-14-2004, 13:03
I drink most of my rum neat or with a couple of ice cubes. Hmm, like I drink bourbon. My favortie rums are

Barbancourt 8
Pyrat XO
Matusalem Special Reserva
Mount Gay Extra Old
Appleton Extra
Bacardi 8 and Anejo

GrayFox
11-17-2004, 20:13
Some may scoff...I've enjoyed many fine rums over the years but somehow I still enjoy a simple glass of Captain Morgan's best of all. Couldn't tell you why.

Ducks and waits for the rotten fruit to fly....

wrbriggs
11-17-2004, 20:37
One nice thing I've noticed on these boards is that very few people will attack you for having an opinion on something.

Trying to force that opinion onto others is another matter... but hey, enjoy the Cap'n! There's a reason it's a top selling rum.

Just the same way that Beam white label is a top selling bourbon. It's not fancy, it's nothing extra special, but as I believe Chuck said in his publication, it's the baseline by which pretty much all bourbons can be judged. And for $12 / 750ml, it's pretty hard to beat value-wise in many parts of the country (especially places where BT, AAA 10yr and other "better" bourbons in the same price segment are unavailable).

Jake_Parrott
12-23-2004, 16:00
Barbancourt 5* and St. James Hors d'Age, both with a drop of water, which I think brings out some complexity (like with Scotch). Apparently, some new Martinique cane juice Rhums Agricoles are coming into the States early next year, but I don't have any more info than that. Nu?

brian12069
12-26-2004, 06:00
I recently tried one that I really enjoyed..."Goslingers Black Seal"...very tastey.

Ghoste
12-26-2004, 17:10
I found Black Seal to have a taste similar to Appleton or Wrey and Nephew. I don't particularly enjoy it. I don't dislike it by any means but there are others I much prefer is all.

halpap
12-26-2004, 17:11
You might try Ron Zacapa Centario, a 23 year old very rich tasting Guatamalan Rum. On the expensive side (in the $30s).

Nokia
12-27-2004, 17:41
I drink the Barbancourt 8yr fairly often and have also been enjoying a bottle of Venezuelan Rum called Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. I found it a little over a year in a store in Florida and have only seen it at one other store since. I enjoy both neat.

camduncan
12-31-2004, 15:43
Australian made Bundaberg Rum was my drink of choice before I found Bourbon.
An 1125ml bottle, 2 flatmates and a very sick me the next day has probably put me off it for life http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/puke.gif That was over 15 years ago - even today, the smell alone turns my stomach...

gr8erdane
01-16-2005, 07:37
For any of you mail order rummies out there, I just saw the most fantastic sale on my favorite rum, Pyrat XO in a holiday gift set no less. 750ml with two Pyrat Martini glasses marked down from 45.99 to a meare 19.98! See it at HiTimeWine.

http://www.hitimewine.net/istar.asp?a=6&id=162300

Charter13
03-06-2005, 19:11
Everyone who enjoys rum should definitely check out Ed Hamilton's site that TNBourbon mentioned www.ministryofrum.com (http://www.ministryofrum.com). He is a mainstay on the egullet forums and knows quite a bit about the subject.

As far as good brands to drink:

St. James Hors D'age

Plantation rums (Barbados, Jamaica, Venezuela, Trinidad and Guatemalan)

Barbancourt 15

Pyrat Pistol

Havana Club Anejo

Riserva Aneja

Diplomatico

Gran Blason

Flor de Cana 5, 7 or 12

and for the Captain Morgan drinkers: Foursquare Spiced Barbadian.

Edit: removed extraneous period from URL.

musher
03-06-2005, 21:37
For my birthday this year, my brother-in-law gave me a bottle of Ron del Barrilito (Superior Especial), which is quite good. It is a Puerto Rican rum that is aged for 6 - 10 years in used charred oak barrels (thus the name, I would assume).

dougdog
09-11-2005, 09:14
I've only tasted a handfull of rums, most aren't worth looking at again. This post has some interesting suggestions and I'll be on the lookout for some of those labels.

I do have one that is quite good neat. It is a "pot still" rum from Jamaica/Guyana...Sea Wynde.

I believe there are two versions/editions currently out. I have both, I've only opened the first one and have not done a side-by-side yet.

A bit surprised that I didn't see it listed here in the other posts. Is it because there are others that are so much better? If you have tasted Sea Wynde and could suggest a BETTER one, please let me know which one that would be. Sea Wynde was on the shelf for 45 bucks, not an inexpensive rum I think. Did I pay to much for what I got? Thanks!

best, dog

barturtle
09-11-2005, 11:46
I quite enjoy a nice aged rum from time to time.

For my regular pours I use either Mount Gay Extra Old or Bacardi 8 (both are pretty readily available)

When I can find them I like Angostura 1919 and Ron Matuslem Clasico

I once got to try one from a microdistillery started by Dogfish Head (the microbrew folks) that was quite nice (with an interesting flavor, hops, maybe?) but I have yet to find it for sale to do more extensive "testing".

kbuzbee
09-11-2005, 12:28
I quite enjoy a nice aged rum from time to time.

For my regular pours I use either Mount Gay Extra Old or Bacardi 8 (both are pretty readily available)

When I can find them I like Angostura 1919 and Ron Matuslem Clasico

I once got to try one from a microdistillery started by Dogfish Head (the microbrew folks) that was quite nice (with an interesting flavor, hops, maybe?) but I have yet to find it for sale to do more extensive "testing".

In Purto Rico, we picked up some of the Mount Gay, it's quite good. But my favorite is the Cruzan Single Barrel. It's very reasonably priced and delicious.

Ken

Ghoste
09-12-2005, 05:14
I hadn't heard of Sea Wynde before. I'll have to search that one out. You found that locally in north Cali?

Which is a long way from me but it does tell me they export it.

Chuck_Osborn
09-12-2005, 07:03
Matusalem 15. Not too shabby.

Hedmans Brorsa
09-12-2005, 09:58
Recently introduced here in Sweden was a Rhum Agricole from Martinique called J. Bally (1993 vintage). I was really knocked out by its almost unbelievably sophisticated sweetness. Definitely worth a sip if you can find it.

Another recent purchase was Plantation Rum 1993 from Trinidad (from Angostura, I believe). Surprisingly Cognac-like.

My personal favorite is the 15yo El Dorado which has the Demerara sweetness almost perfected.

ddubb
09-14-2005, 00:55
I haven't tried too many but I like what I've tried so far. In order of preference:

Sailor Jerry's is pretty good for a spiced rum, often its the only thing decent in the dives I end up in. I like Capt Morgan's but for me this is a step up.

Next is Curzan Diamond Estate, aged 5 years. I'm not a big fan of mixing but this does go pretty well with fruit juice like orange or orange/pineapple. I almost always drink it neat but sometimes I like the mix. Actually my favorite juice (with or without rum) is orange-pineapple-banana.

After trying this D.E. 5 yr I thought I'd like the more expensive Single Barrel, aged at least 10 years. But no matter how prejudiced I was, I kept liking the 5 year better than the 10 year old. Its been a few years so I can't remember exactly why but I remain convinced.

My favorite so far is Goslings Black Seal Black Rum. The nose isn't too impressive. Not bad but nothing special to give away what a treat it is on the tongue. Matter of fact, when I drink it I actually pour it across the length of my tongue and let it linger. Only slightly warm at 80 proof at first but gives way to a heavy molasses flavor. I'm not at all a fan of liqueurs and this is as close as I'd want to get. I'm not often in the mood for this syrupy molasses/licorice rum but when I am I really, really like it.

I don't want my next comment to turn anyone off... its not really like Jaegermeister's at all... except that its easy to think of Goslings as a winter drink in the same way Jaeger's is thought of.

This is the first drink I had where I noticed an effect that I've now tasted in many other drinks. It seems that if you are gentle with your glass while sipping that the flavor changes as you drain the glass. Is this just me? Is this an effect of changes to sensory perception as a response to the drink, or is it a change in the drink itself? Mostly what I notice is that many many drinks tend to have a bit more of a licorice taste when draining the last drops out of the glass.

I noticed the final/licorice accent first when sipping Goslings. Not too surprising considering the rum itself. But then I started noticing it in many whiskeys too. I do seem to notice it less if I swirl the drink around from time to time between sips. Is this all in my mind?

chperry
09-24-2005, 11:01
Tanduay 5 yr. Made in the Philippines. Sadly it is not available in the US and I have only one bottle left. I also like Brugal Siglo de Oro from the Dominican Republic, also not available in the US.

smokinjoe
09-27-2005, 09:49
Ron Anejo Anniversario Pampero. Dark, smooth and delicious from Venezuela. And, the squatty roundish bottle comes in the coolest leather pouch. http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JOE

CrispyCritter
09-29-2005, 20:09
I picked up some Hallmark of St. James 25yo Demerara Rum, from Guyana, a while back. Wow! It has a smoky-sweet flavor to it, with a bit of spiciness to it as well. It's a very nice change of pace when I'm not in a whisky mood.

The only other rum I've tried was Sailor Jerry Spiced Navy Rum, and it's also quite good neat.

Vange
10-28-2005, 12:02
I second the nomination of the Ron Zacapa 23 year old rum. it's about $30-$35 USD and it's fantastic neat. I highly recommend it. Zacapa makes a 25 year version as well, but I haven't had any luck tracking that one down.

wadewood
10-29-2005, 01:37
I second the nomination of the Ron Zacapa 23 year old rum.

Actually, you third this nomination. I mentioned it in the first page of this thread, user halpap was the 2nd.

I have read that unlike bourbon, rum producers state the oldest aged rum for the bottle that it contains. So Ron Zacapa 23 year old rum could be a blend of many different age barrels with at least some being 23 years old.

Vange
10-29-2005, 09:09
Hmmm. Interesting. I wondered about that when I purchased it for $30. I saw a Appleton Estate bottle aged 21 years at $80. I wonder if that is the difference. One is a blend of agees while one is a pure 21 year old rum. I'll have to investigate rum a little bit more.

Vange
11-01-2005, 10:27
I treid my Ron Zacapa 23 year again last night and was a bit disappointed. It tasted better the first time I tried it. This time it seemed, too "syrupy".

EricABQ
11-17-2005, 16:59
Rhum Barbancourt 15 year old is my personal favorite.

Pyrat XO Reserve is incredibly smooth, but a bit too fruity for my tastes, but very impressive nonetheless.

tallmarc
11-23-2005, 11:38
Hands-down, best ever sippin' rum: Casa Bacardi! Truly unique flavor.

Came in a very pretty, square-cut decanter with a cork stopper. Back label was hand numbered. If I remember correctly, it cost only $25 a bottle.

Cannot find it any longer. If anyone has seen it around, be sure to let me know!!

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Frodo
12-04-2005, 03:18
Best rum I've ever had was the Appleton 21. Cloves and baked apples on the palate. Aftertaste that goes on, and on, and on. Don't like the price though (C$80 in Ontario). I do like the buttery taste characteristic of Dominican rums, and a default choice of mine is Brugal extra viejo. Rougher than the Appleton mentioned above, but with as sharp or sharper flavours. The cloves do come out her quite pronounced!

Rum Matusalem 15 is good value up here. A little light on the flavours, but really smooth. I'd recommend for an "everyday pour"...

Vange
12-05-2005, 21:38
I just orddered this rum,= and I can't wait to try it! I tried and own the Ron Zacapa 23 year, but it's not really a 23 year but the rums mixed to make it COULD be up to 23 years old. Regardless, it's pretty good, but I am hoping to get even better with appleton 21.

AVB
12-06-2005, 20:14
The Zacapa 23 is 23 years old and having it and the Appleton 21 I have to give the edge to the Zacapa. Although, they are very different in flavor so YMMV.

squire
12-07-2005, 19:35
I rarely use rum except in cooking or to mix drinks for guests when I use a common brand. I do keep a bottle of Barcardi eight year old on hand in case some knowledgable guest wants something special.

Regards,
Squire

Vange
12-08-2005, 17:28
I have the zacapa 23 and was bewildered about its low price for what is called a 23 year old rum. Other TRUE 23 year rums are well over $200. So, I emailed the company that makes it directly and they said the rum is UP to 23 years old. So, basically it's a blend of different age rums of up to 23 year olds. Hmmm....oh well, it's still good!

Vange
12-08-2005, 17:30
Can you get a Ron Zacapa 25 year rum? The one called XO. I can't find that one anywhere!

http://www.ronzacapacentenario.com/ron_zacapa_centenario_xo.htm

BarItemsPlus1
12-08-2005, 23:47
I can seriously say I have had only three Rums that I know of...Barcardi, Bundaberg(come on I'm an Aussie-haha http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/graemlins/falling.gif), and an excellent drop made by a small micro, it's called Beenleigh. It's actually a town in southern Queensland(I think, might be far north New South Wales) and the town has been named after the distillery not the other way around.
I don't think that you would be able to get this in the US but if I was to have a Rum again, this would be the one!

dougdog
12-11-2005, 19:09
Tim, Peter and I got together on Friday evening, 12-9-5 for a row of Rhums and Rums. We did 7 total, they were:

1. Lemon Hart, 151 proof, nas, 4/5 quart bottle, red US federal tax stamp, made in Guyana. Color was extremely dark.

2. Zaya, 12yo, 100ml bottle, 80 proof, Gran Reserva, made in Guatemala. Color is dark.

3. St. James, 86 proof, nas, 750ml bottle, made in Martinique. Color is dark.

4. Musee Du Rhum, 7yo, 80 proof, 375ml or 500 ml bottle (not sure) made in Guadalupe. Color is dark.

5. Sea Wynde, 92 proof, nas, 750ml bottle, pot stilled, made in Jamaica. Color is medium dark.

6. Plantation, 8yo, 750ml bottle, forgot to note proof, made in Jamaica. Color is medium.

7. Thompson's Port Morant, 10yo, 92 proof, copper pot stilled, made in Guyana. Color is white wine.

8. The "Vatting" was the last thing we did with the remainders in each glass, Gillman would have been proud of us!

I'll post some simple tasting notes with the next picture.

We had a blast Friday night. I had a bit of time to spend on Saturday to do some bottle hunting' at a little liquor store over on the peninsula, I found a couple that were affordable and interesting along with a Joseph Finch bourbon to boot!

Best regards, dougdog

dougdog
12-11-2005, 19:11
The other post listed them from right to left!

Frodo
12-12-2005, 17:36
WOW!! Great post folks. Great pictures too...

dougdog
12-23-2005, 19:22
Out huntin' at one of my favorite dusty bottle stores and found these two beauties...Old bottlings for sure...

I developed a list of rums/rhums to look for from the posts on this thread, some 36 of 'em....thanks to all who posted...I forgot the list when hunting today so i'll need to go back and see what is still on the shelf and compare to the list.

I think there are a few there that are not on the list so I'll add those when I get back with more/new purchases...

Anyway, these two bottles are done by William Cadenhead, most know for the Single Malt bottling they do. The first is a 10 year old, 46%, 750ml, white wine color...the second is a 20yo, 46%, 750ml, very dark color...both are Jamaican Rum.

Imported by Preiss when they were in the Whittier location.

best, dougdog

Joeluka
01-23-2006, 12:10
There is no way anyone can ever tell me that Santa Teresa 1796 (just awarded SPIRIT OF THE YEAR in the new Malt Advocate) and Pryat Cask 23 (a hefty $230 a bottle) dont qualify as the two greatest rums there are. I say this with a palate and rum bunker that has enjoyed well over 30 rums. I keep as many bottles of rum I can find on hand at all times. ST 1796 and Pryat C23 are simply the best there are. If anyone in NY wants to get together and taste a full range of rums please let me know, I share my rum just a happily as I share my Bourbon and Scotch. I also have a nice Tequlia range as well.

Thanks Joe

Vange
01-23-2006, 15:13
I did a head to head of these 2 rums a few weks ago. WOW, the RZ23 is a LOT better IMO. The AE21 was very disappoitning. It was a bit harsh, bland, no sweetness while the RZ 23 was a thing of art! Nice sweetness, smooth, creamy, and great body.

I am going to try and get the Pyrat Cask 23 and ST 1796. I hear good things about them from alot of people.

gr8erdane
01-23-2006, 20:38
How does the Pyrat Cask 23 compare with their XO? As much as I love the XO I can't see myself paying that price for a single bottle of bourbon or rum.

Ghoste
02-17-2006, 18:02
I was just enjoying a glass of Mount Gay Eclipse and remembered this thread. I've tried some of the excellent suggestions made here but I still seem to come back to the Mount Gay or Cockspur.
I think in this case familiarity has bred contentment.

lakegz
03-13-2006, 06:16
I saw a few Barbancourt 5 stars on the shelves at a store in Tokyo and bought a bottle for about 20 bucks. I immediatly loved it upon first tasting. The only rums i ever drank before during rare occasions were the cheapy Bacardi and Capt Morgan, ill be nice and say i wasnt a fan of those. Well i could instantaneously waft, sip, and indulge in the profound difference this quality rum brings out. I read a little about the history of rum and its production and was proud that i had bought one of a few rums made from pure sugar cane juice, rather than excess molasses.

I have a question, I saw the 15 year old Barbancourt on theh shelf as well but its prige tag was in the vicinity of 38-40 dollars. Is it worth the two fold price increase over the 8 year?

Frodo
03-14-2006, 04:19
I was just enjoying a glass of Mount Gay Eclipse and remembered this thread. I've tried some of the excellent suggestions made here but I still seem to come back to the Mount Gay or Cockspur.
I think in this case familiarity has bred contentment.

FYI, Cockspur VSOR is currently on sale at the LCBO at about $36 from $47-ish. Thought you might like to know...

Ghoste
03-14-2006, 08:09
Thanks Frodo, I wasn't aware of that.

kbuzbee
03-15-2006, 11:37
You should check out Pyrat XO. This stuff rocks. When I take a break from bourbon as a nightcap, this is what goes down the hatch. Vanilla, caramel smooth yumminess. Comes in handblown glass bottles. A Barcardi sales rep actually introduced me to it, saying he thought it was better than any Barcardi product he had ever tried.

I'm with you on this LeNell, I recently tried Pyrat XO in Florida and it is just wonderful. A few months ago I tried my first bottle of Zaya. It's terrific too but I think the Pyrat may take it. I need to do a head to head of these two. (how sad....)

Dane did anyone ever answer you on Pyrat XO vs Cask 23?? Like you, I can't imaging the difference being worth the price... but maybe....

Ken

Joeluka
03-15-2006, 13:10
Dane did anyone ever answer you on Pyrat XO vs Cask 23?? Like you, I can't imaging the difference being worth the price... but maybe....

I have both Pyrat's and I have to say that NO the Cask 23 isnt worth the $200 more than the XO. It is better, YES. The Cask 23 has a smoothness (is that a word) that puts most rums to shame. I drink XO as my everyday rum but I will replace my Cask 23 when its done. There is another Pyrat out there that is a little more than XO, that is worth buying when you can find it. IMHO its better than XO. Its call Pyrat Pistol. It comes in 375 bottles only but is worth the extra($17.95 a 375 bottle) compared to XO ($24.95). I hope this helps with Ken's question.

By the way Santa Teresa 1796 may be better than both Pyrat XO and Pistol.

Vange
03-15-2006, 14:11
I second the opinion on ST 1796. GREAT stuff.

I haven't tried the PC23 yet though.

gr8erdane
03-19-2006, 03:36
I brought Dawn (luv2hunt) a Pistol last year at the gazebo and didn't get to taste it much. Will have to try one of my own sometime soon.

Frodo
03-19-2006, 19:32
Santa Theresa 1796 is far and away the best rum I've ever had!

Randy_Ricchi
03-30-2006, 20:41
I just quickly cruised through this thread and didn't see any mention of the Pusser's Navy Rum.
I've never been able to get my hands on any,, until now.
It's a very nice pour (or should I say tot?). Very full bodied, a bit woody in the nose, rich, complex flavor, and not at all artificially sweet or molasses-ey.
Did I mention smooth?
Anyone else try this one?

CrispyCritter
03-30-2006, 21:36
I just quickly cruised through this thread and didn't see any mention of the Pusser's Navy Rum.

Sounds like something worth picking up - I've had Sailor Jerry (a Virgin Islands spiced navy rum), and liked it a lot. It'd be interesting to compare the two...

Pharaoh
03-31-2006, 12:19
Some very fine rums have been named here. The Ron Z 23 was mentioned a lot, that and the elusive Ron Z 25XO in decanter are certainly top notch rums.

I like Pyrat XO and Pistol a lot but I do believe the line is a bit of what one might describe as an acquired taste.

The Santa Teresa I have found to be hit and miss. It's always good, but I purchased one bottle that is noticeably hotter than the two I owned previously. Unfortunately I had the same issue with a bottle of Ron Pampero which I always loved to that point.

Another that is hardly discussed is Coyopa of Barbados. I've heard this described as just so-so, but the bottles I got I thought were exceptional.

Has anyone tried the old Florida produced Matusalem? I found it WAY superior to the new version, and much like the old Cuban 15 year old product.

Paulbrad25
03-31-2006, 12:47
Just been to a tasting of an Antiguan Rum called English Harbour,(or Cavalier as its known on its home soil). absolutely enchanting stuff, not quite a Ron Zacapa though.:grin:

Vange
03-31-2006, 16:19
I have amassed a few rums in recent months. I am doing a monster tasting in a few weeks with a good majority of them.

50 ml of BRNIR
Sea Wynde
Appleton Estate 21
Appleton Estate VX
Pusser's John Paul Jones decanter
Prichards Fine Rum
Prichards Crystal Rum
Ron Z 23
Ron Z 25XO
Goslings Old Rum
Cruzan Single Barrel
El Dorado 21
English Harbour Aged Antigua
Santa Teresa 1796
Pyrat Cask 23
Starr

I'll report my findings

Gillman
03-31-2006, 17:05
As it happens currently I am sampling one of my rum blends. It is very nice: rich and sweetish but with spicy overtones. It is an index of the brand proliferation in the rum world that, if I am not mistaken, not one of the rums in my blend is included in your list.

My rums include (in this blend): Barbancourt from Haiti, both the regular dark (4 years old) and 8 year old, 21 and 23 year old Jamaican pot still landed and aged in Bristol, England; Havana Club (one of every every age expression including their Anejo); Gosling (the regular one); Cabot Tower (a Demerara sold in Canada); regular Appleton, Cockspur Old Gold; regular Mount Gay; Bacardi 8 years old; rum from St. Thomas that had a banana-like scent; some other Demeraras I can't recall.

The mingling is very good. My wife just tried it (it is good to have a "fresh" approach to its taste since she doesn't drink rum very often). She says it is flavourful, raisiny, fruity, mild, balanced and with pear-like tones. She says the nose is delicate and doesn't "assault". She says it is perfect to sample neat without ice or mix.

This is the result of good blending.

Not to say those Pyrat and other rarity rums aren't very good, but you can get great results from judicious blending and each bottle of the blend does not need to cost an arm and a leg.

Gary

gr8erdane
04-03-2006, 02:22
Not to say those Pyrat and other rarity rums aren't very good, but you can get great results from judicious blending and each bottle of the blend does not need to cost an arm and a leg.

Now correct me if I'm wrong Gary, but you listed at the least 12 different rums in your vatting. Even if the average price were say 20 dollars, you'd be looking at a cash outlay of at least 240 dollars to be able to assemble that blend. I could actually buy a bottle of Pyrat Cask 23 for about that and be able to enjoy it immediately straight from the bottle and have plenty of room on the shelf for 11 more bottles of bourbon....:cool: :stickpoke: :slappin:

Gillman
04-03-2006, 10:44
Dane that is very true but I bought my bottles over a long period and I still have many of them, the blending is made with only parts of each and is added to/adjusted over time. In effect they are a kind of solera. In fact I just bought a Matuselem (spelling may be a little off) 10 year old rum ($24 CAN approx.). That is specifically made according to the solera principle (where you keep adding new-made sherry to older to produce a complex blend that offers good flavor and consistency). Did someone say in this thread the Matuselem 10 is not as good as when made in Florida (the one I bought is made in Dominican Republic)? I don't know about that but the Dominican Republic one is very good. The mingling from the solera system allows good complexity to come through. It reminds me (in style more than taste as such) of the Havana Club Anejo which may also be made in a kind of solera way. There is a Glenfiddich whisky made in that way too. Bourbon used to be also, in the days when "vatting" was popular and modern batching methods may be a kind of version of that.

On cost, of all the ones I bought only the Jamaican pot stills were expensive and frankly I think at this point there is little of them in the blend, I really did not need to use them. So for the same $240 U.S., you can get ten bottles not one, make an "equivalent" to the one costing circa $200 and have nine bottles left over to do as you will with! :)

Gary

Paulbrad25
04-03-2006, 11:34
Dont know if you guys can get it, but a friend of mine brought over a bottle of Matusalem rum over to a poker night we were having,the stuff is fantastic! Lovely white rum that has a nice crisp clean finish with nothing to overpowering, the stuff is easily (maybe too easily) drinkable straight. I recommend this stuff highly for any rum drinkers out there.

Where are you Empire? Come down to my bar, Ocean and Collins, I've got the Matusalem you are talking about as my pouring house white and also the 10yr Clasico and the 15yr Gran Centenario on the back. They're solero rums so they're very light and flavoursome and mix really well. I'll shout you your first Mai Tai.:grin: (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif I got a couple of bottles of Wild Turkey Rye as well, if you want one I can order it C.O.D. for youhttp://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/images/icons/icon3.gif)

TNbourbon
04-03-2006, 12:00
There were several rums available for tasting at the just-past WhiskyFest in Chicago, including the Santa Teresa 1796, Pyrat X.O. and a new Pyrat solera-ized product, Cask 1623 (with rum aged as long as 40 years, at $400+:bigeyes:).
I found both Santa Teresa offerings (including a new premium one not yet released) very nice, but a tad on the oaky side for me, as rums go. The Pyrats (I also tasted the X.O. at Dane's en route to Chicago) were exceptional, reminding me immediately of Juicy Fruit gum on both the nose and palate.
All that said, I'll stick with the Angostura dark 5yo I can get for under $16 locally, and I didn't think is far off any of the above. Certainly lesser, but not by the factor reflected in the prices, and still very good.

Vange
04-03-2006, 12:28
So, are you saying this Pyrat Cask 1623 is a different product than the Pyrat Cask 23?

TNbourbon
04-03-2006, 12:44
So, are you saying this Pyrat Cask 1623 is a different product than the Pyrat Cask 23?

I suspect the number is simply an identifier (they did not offer a 'Cask 23'), so yes -- probably each cask is somewhat different, as in, say, a single-barrel bourbon. But, since I've only had the one sample, I can't empirically prove that.

Joeluka
04-03-2006, 12:46
All that said, I'll stick with the Angostura dark 5yo I can get for under $16 locally, and I didn't think is far off any of the above. Certainly lesser, but not by the factor reflected in the prices, and still very good.
IMHO the Angostura Dark 5 yo doesnt hold a candle to either the Angostura 1919 ($25) or the Angostura 1824 ($48). And none of those measure up to the Pyrat line or ST 1796.
Do you drink rum often and have you tasted all the different kinds out there? There are so many different types of rum its hard to just pick one type to favor IMHO. I have about 40 different rums and just like with whisk(e)y different days call for different tastes.

Also is there a diffenece between the Cask 23 and Cask 1623

TNbourbon
04-03-2006, 13:01
IMHO the Angostura Dark 5 yo doesnt hold a candle to either the Angostura 1919 ($25) or the Angostura 1824 ($48). And none of those measure up to the Pyrat line or ST 1796.
Do you drink rum often and have you bothered to taste all the different kinds out there? There are so many different types of rum its hard to just pick one type to favor IMHO. I have about 40 different rums and just like with whisk(e)y different days call for different tastes.

Also is there a diffenece between the Cask 23 and Cask 1623

Well, Joe, okay. Personally, I don't care for the Angostura 1919, which I purchased with great expectation after enjoying the 5yo dark rum. I don't like it in the same way I don't like a too-woody bourbon. It has an oaky astringency in the finish. Thereafter, I didn't bother to spend the money on the 1824.
No, I don't drink rum often (or anything else, besides bourbon), so it isn't worth it for me to learn about 40 or so different styles that I'm not going to buy anyway. One or two I can count on to enjoy is enough for me.

Joeluka
04-03-2006, 13:14
Your missing out though. There are so many great rums out there. After whiskey I spend a good amount of time on rum and I love it.

They get $400 for Pyrat Cask in Tenn???

Gillman
04-03-2006, 13:26
All this is a question of personal taste. I too do not like markedly tannic products. Some older/luxury rums tend to be a little woody, it is part of the "rhum vieux" palate. El Dorado 12 years old is a luxury drink but wood notes are evident and also it is sweetish in taste - good for after dinner but I don't have a drink after dinner too often now. I like rum as a pre-dinner drink and it should be not too sweet and not too dry - just my taste. Pyrat XO is good but (and this is just my opinion) I feel I can get a good blended taste from mingling rums that cost less than that. My "go to" would be Appleton (some Appelton is pot still and the next age bracket up from the regular one only costs a few dollars more here) (Jamaican rum), Mount Gay (Barbados), El Dorado 5 years (Guyana), Havana Club Anejo (no age statement but not an oaky dram, maybe solera of different ages). And the Matusalem 10 is very good. I am not saying the luxury rums are not very good but I think they are rich and barrel-toned and intended for after-dinner, in general. Also, as any product will, they will reflect a house taste, a certain profile, which will please some but not all.

Gary

kbuzbee
04-03-2006, 17:56
...and have you bothered to taste all the different kinds out there?

Gee, Joe, that's kinda rude... We're all friends here....

Ken

kbuzbee
04-03-2006, 18:00
All this is a question of personal taste. I too do not like markedly tannic products. Some older/luxury rums tend to be a little woody, it is part of the "rhum vieux" palate...

Gary, I'm always impressed with your analysis (AWA many others here, of course). I respect your Rum vatting, but for me, rum is a 'when I'm not in the mood for Bourbon or Rye drink and I like to keep it simple. So, for me, Pyrat XO fills that bill nicely. It is kinda sweet but I think that's what makes it a nice change of pace. Liquid candy for adults.... It's yummy.

Ken

Gillman
04-03-2006, 18:49
Ken, hi, and thanks. I don't disagree - and Pyrat (any of them) is very good (by the way it is a blend of rums, is my understanding). But if one is willing to lay in a stock of rums I feel one can devise a blend as good in quality (although the taste will differ). I am currently putting the final touches on one I will bring to Gazebo. :)

Gary

kbuzbee
04-03-2006, 18:59
(by the way it is a blend of rums, is my understanding).

My understanding as well. Different ages and from different distilleries. If this were Bourbon I'd be going "Yeah right!" But it works. And, around here, it's like $24. I found it (actually ThomasH found it) at Hi Times for $18! I got , um... a few!

Ken

Gillman
04-03-2006, 19:18
Well that is a very good price, it is certainly an excellent value for that money. I like Pyrat, I've had the X.O. and Pistol. I admire what the pros can do, and then think, can I come close..? I enjoy trying. :)

Gary

Joeluka
04-03-2006, 19:22
Gee, Joe, that's kinda rude... We're all friends here....

Ken

Rude???? I was just trying to egg Tim into getting into the world of Rums. Its hard to put into words someone's passions sometimes. Tim is a friend and I already made sure that he understood where I was coming from in a PM. Sorry if I offended you though Ken. Good look'n out!!!!

kbuzbee
04-04-2006, 08:03
Rude???? I was just trying to egg Tim into getting into the world of Rums. Its hard to put into words someone's passions sometimes. Tim is a friend and I already made sure that he understood where I was coming from in a PM. Sorry if I offended you though Ken. Good look'n out!!!!

Excellant, thanks Joe. No worries. I really like and value the community we have here. I consider Tim a friend of mine as well, so, if anything, I was just worried for/about him. Glad to hear vigilance was not required :-)

Cheers,

Ken

kbuzbee
04-04-2006, 08:07
...and then think, can I come close..? I enjoy trying. :)

Gary

It's one of your interesting traits, always enjoy hearing the results of your experiments, Gary.

Ken

Paulbrad25
04-08-2006, 11:37
I've tried Sea Wynde, its a vatting of 3 differant production methods as far as i can figure and I found it a bit uneven, almost gimmicky.

Does someone with a bit more detailed knowledge than me want to explain the differance between Rum age statements and the Solero system as there seems to be some uncertainty