PDA

View Full Version : What Beer are you drinking - Winter '10/'11

HipFlask
12-24-2010, 00:45
Well we made it past the shortest day of the year so they will only get longer from here. Lots of winter and Christmas beers are available and I have been making the rounds. The Delirium beers are always a fav of mine at this time of the year. I have also found a pretty good Christmas beer from Great Lakes out of Cleveland OH. And I am also into Sam Adams IPA 48 which feature hops of the northern climates. So what are you all pouring for beer to keep warm on really cold night?

Parkersback
12-24-2010, 05:58
Stille Nacht is the best Christmas beer I've had, rich & sweet without being cloying. Not overspiced either, in a way that some Christmas beers can be.

craigthom
01-20-2011, 19:33
Still can't find the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, and I've been told allocation is tight, so I may not be able to find it when it does hit the channel.

Today I got a set of four four-ounce samples:

la Rulls Triple
Dogfish Head Burton Baton Oaked IPA
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
New Holland Pilgrim's Dole Wheatwine

at the Louisville Beer Store. The own of this place likes his high gravity beers. Three of the four clock in at over 10% ABV, and the New Holland is 11.4%.

I prefer lower gravity beers so I can drink more, but this is what was available.

I liked them all. The Brooklyn stout was exceptional, and I really liked the New Holland, although with its sweetness and alcohol content I think my taste for it would drop off after one.

ggilbertva
01-21-2011, 09:13
Last night attended a beer and food pairing featuring Terrapin beers. I was looking forward the attending but walked out somewhat disappointed. The featured beers were:

Golden ale
Rye Pale Ale
Hopsecutioner
Brown IPA
Oatmeal Imperial Stout
Moo-Hoo

There wasn't a single beer that I would go out and buy. I like the Sun Ray summer wheat they released last year but all the above were thin and rather one dimensional to me.

unclebunk
01-21-2011, 10:49
Bought a twelve pack sampler of Brooklyn Brewery beers for this weekend, as well as some extraordinarily inexpensive Genesee Cream Ale for old time's sake. We used to drink GCA back in college many, many years ago and I haven't seen it here in Chicago for quite some time, so I couldn't pass it up. It'll go down well with my fellow New Yorkers on Sunday while we watch the Jets dismantle the Steelers to advance to the Super Bowl!:grin:

PAspirit1
01-21-2011, 13:49
It'll go down well with my fellow New Yorkers on Sunday while we watch the Jets dismantle the Steelers to advance to the Super Bowl!:grin:

Better save a few of those for after the game - in case things go horribly right.:grin:

imbibehour
01-21-2011, 14:07
Killed several Russian Imperial Stouts of late (Samuel Smith, Oak Aged Yeti, B.O.R.I.S.)

Ozzy is a fantastic Belgian Strong Pale Ale from Brewer's Art in Baltimore.

Then of course got the seasonal Bell's Hopslam release. Good stuff!

Parkersback
01-21-2011, 14:25
Just bought a six of Brooklyn Winter Ale. I think it's one of their better offerings.

nor02lei
01-21-2011, 14:38
I liked them all. The Brooklyn stout was exceptional

We do get it here ones a year as a temporary release. I like it a lot, especially with soft chocolate cakes. It will come next time February 1 and I look forward for it.

Leif

unclebunk
01-21-2011, 16:30
There was a time when I could only get the original Brooklyn Lager which I really enjoy. Then the Brown Ale appeared and that was a winner as well. Now, the entire line is quite good, so I highly recommend the sampler twelve pack if you can find it.

Special Reserve
01-21-2011, 16:44
Bell's Hopslam. A good drink but not my cup of tea. It's like a bourbon drinker having a good high quality Scotch. Enjoyable but not the right fit.

Too heavy on the hops for me, but I wanted to try it.

smokinjoe
01-21-2011, 18:21
I was truly elated to find both Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and GL Edmund Fitzgerald Porter while in North Carolina this week. These are two of my very favorite beers, and I'm relishing the Fitzgerald, now. Them Ahiyans makes some good brews.

craigthom
01-21-2011, 19:02
Bell's Hopslam. A good drink but not my cup of tea. It's like a bourbon drinker having a good high quality Scotch. Enjoyable but not the right fit.

Too heavy on the hops for me, but I wanted to try it.

My problem with the Hopslam (besides the price) isn't that it's too heavy on the hops but that it is too light on everything else.

I've been told that the Founders Double Trouble is what the Hopslam should be. I'll find out in a little bit.

craigthom
01-21-2011, 19:04
Last night attended a beer and food pairing featuring Terrapin beers.

There wasn't a single beer that I would go out and buy. I like the Sun Ray summer wheat they released last year but all the above were thin and rather one dimensional to me.

I've had a lot of their Rye Pale Ale, but only because I visit Atlanta a lot and it's often the best thing on tap. The Sweetwater 420 is everywhere, but it comes up considerably short. Given better options I get something else.

imbibehour
01-21-2011, 20:01
I've been told that the Founders Double Trouble is what the Hopslam should be. I'll find out in a little bit.

I am highly anticipating this one too. And their Imperial Stout, and KBS.

imbibehour
01-21-2011, 20:01
I was truly elated to find both Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold and GL Edmund Fitzgerald Porter while in North Carolina this week. These are two of my very favorite beers, and I'm relishing the Fitzgerald, now. Them Ahiyans makes some good brews.

I love their burning river American Pale Ale.

Special Reserve
01-22-2011, 04:38
I am highly anticipating this one too. And their Imperial Stout, and KBS.

KBS is AWESOME but expensive.

unclebunk
01-22-2011, 08:05

I really love the Edmund Fitzgerald Porter too but don't believe I've ever tried the Dortmunder Gold. I'm wondering if Great Lakes does one of those mixed twelve pack samplers which would be a great way to try some of their other products.

cigarnv
01-22-2011, 09:50
A bit of Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout...... always spot on...

ILLfarmboy
01-22-2011, 22:42
Before going to see Yogi Bear in 3D I stoped at The Blue Cat Brewpub and had a pint of their Big Bad Dog Old English Ale. To me it tasted like a stout with less of the bitter coffee notes. I still like bocks better, but I'm working on it.

Jono
01-23-2011, 09:16
Drank some Left Hand Black Jack Porter last night....very good.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/418/1251

Halifax
01-23-2011, 12:35
A few Duck Rabbit Milk Stouts while working in the garage. Deelish...

ggilbertva
01-24-2011, 17:50
Rasputin Imperial Stout. This is a big bad brew. Deep notes of coffee, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits. Moderate hop bitterness on the finish. Not a brew to be taken lightly.

nivto
01-24-2011, 18:05
^^ I love Old Rasputin Imp Stout

I'm drinking Victory 12, Belgium Style Ale at 12% ABV ... it's been sitting in my fridge for too long, so I finally popped the cork on this one and it's fantastic. really really good. fruity, malty, and sweet candy notes. just the way I like em. dangerous pour, though. if you had poured this for me and told me it was 12% without showing me the bottle, I'd say you were full of shit.

ggilbertva
01-25-2011, 10:21
^^ I love Old Rasputin Imp Stout

I'm drinking Victory 12, Belgium Style Ale at 12% ABV ... it's been sitting in my fridge for too long, so I finally popped the cork on this one and it's fantastic. really really good. fruity, malty, and sweet candy notes. just the way I like em. dangerous pour, though. if you had poured this for me and told me it was 12% without showing me the bottle, I'd say you were full of shit.

There's many beers that drink way too smooth and hover in the 10-14 abv range. I've found that I have to check the label so I know what I'm getting myself into.

craigthom
01-25-2011, 13:08
There's many beers that drink way too smooth and hover in the 10-14 abv range. I've found that I have to check the label so I know what I'm getting myself into.

You're right. Generally I can taste over 7% in a beer, but I had one last week, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, that was in stealth mode. I'm told it was 10.4%, but I never would have guessed that.

I finally cracked open a Double Trouble last night. That may be the best super-hoppy 2IPA I've had.

nor02lei
01-25-2011, 13:23
The standard Yeti with the salt herring with onion souse for dinner today. It worked very well as the beer is pretty hoppy for a stout.

Leif

nor02lei
01-25-2011, 13:31
Rasputin Imperial Stout. This is a big bad brew. Deep notes of coffee, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits. Moderate hop bitterness on the finish. Not a brew to be taken lightly.

I like that a lot as well Greg. Unfortunately we haven’t had it at our government store for 3 years or so, but its available at many quality bars. However there Belgium stile beer “brother Thelonious” that we have as a year around product at our government store is horrible and almost undrinkable to my personal taste.

Leif

craigthom
01-25-2011, 14:48
I like that a lot as well Greg. Unfortunately we haven’t had it at our government store for 3 years or so, but its available at many quality bars. However there Belgium stile beer “brother Thelonious” that we have as a year around product at our government store is horrible and almost undrinkable to my personal taste.

Leif

That's interesting. I've had the Brother Thelonious, and I thought it was OK, even though it's not my favorite style. I love the name.

How does a beer from a small brewery like that make it so far from home? It's fascinating.

smokinjoe
01-25-2011, 15:42
I took two turds, mixed them 50/50, and I think I'm on the way to salvaging about $25. I have 7 bottles of SA Cranberry Lambic left over from previous years Mixed Holiday Packs. I also have about 8 bottles left of BBC Bourbon Barrel Stout. I just can't drink the Lambic. I usually like the BBS, but the case I bought during KBF is horrendously over-over-over-carbonated. I mean, just ridiculously so. Makes it unenjoyable, if not impossible to drink. So mixed them together, waited a bit for the foam to calm down, and it's pretty good. The BBS improves the taste, and the Lambic seems to settle the over carbination. Gary Gillman would be so proud of me!! :D

SBOmarc
01-25-2011, 15:57
Before going to see Yogi Bear in 3D I stoped at The Blue Cat Brewpub and had a pint of their Big Bad Dog Old English Ale. To me it tasted like a stout with less of the bitter coffee notes. I still like bocks better, but I'm working on it.

LOL...How was the movie?

ILLfarmboy
01-25-2011, 16:19
LOL...How was the movie?

Heavy on the propaganda.

I should have had a couple more pints and snuck in something in a flask.

This was the first time I had went to a 3D movie since the old days when the glasses you wore were the red/green lens kind. I'm impressed with the new 3D.

ggilbertva
01-26-2011, 15:32
It's snowing here in the Mid Atlantic....a lot. I think it's hitting about an inch/hour. To celebrate my hatred for all things snow and cold, I'm enjoying a St. Bernardus ABT 12.

MissinER101
01-27-2011, 20:37
I'm not much of a beer drinker but I have been enjoying a six pak of Killian's Irish Red. Most of my beer drinking involves loud music and dancing girls :rolleyes:

I need to lay in some of the micro brews available here in central Missouri; there is a micro here in Columbia located in an old garage that has a stout called "Oil Change" and does have the appearance of old motor oil and tastes like a liquid 7 grain bread.

OscarV
01-28-2011, 12:53
I got some freebies today.
We just got Rheingold to sell at our distributor and they gave us a few cans of it.
As far as how it taste? Well I'll just say the price was right.

Gillman
01-28-2011, 13:55
Very good Joe, exactly. In fact, one 1700's brewing author advised to add elderberry juice to porter. The reason was that the tart fruity edge would emulate the taste of porter stored 6-12 months in wood. Old porters certainly had tart, even sourish edges, from wild yeasts resident in the oak tuns.

Lambic is made with wild yeast and even if SA didn't actually ferment it wild I am sure they chose a pretty funky yeast. Cranberry and elderberry are very similar to all intents and purposes.

In other words Joe, you have just created a classic.

Gary

P.S. Here is the source, Mr. George Watkins himself, look at pp. 123-131. (Isinglass is simply to clarify beer, still used in real ale brewing).

http://books.google.com/books?id=X2lHAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA123&dq=george+watkins+%2B+elderberry+juice+%2B+porter&hl=en&ei=hS5DTfPEL4KB8gb1592GAg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnu

cigarnv
01-28-2011, 15:26
Founders Backwoods Bastard.... one great brew.

smokinjoe
02-01-2011, 15:14
Feeling daggone good about myself after finishing a very quick 3 mile run on a rainy 40 degree afternoon. Usually, I just bag it on days like this, but it was actually kinda refreshing. I'm now rewarding myself with what I was thinking I was going to drink afterwards, while running....this Guiness FES. This beer continues to be such a treat. It has brightened and warmed, what is such a dank day here, Down South.

squire
02-01-2011, 15:19
Current diet prohibits beer, unfortunately.

SBOmarc
02-01-2011, 15:25
My diet beginning Monday will prohibit beer...BUT tonight a Victory Hop Devil.

imbibehour
02-03-2011, 08:09
Just killed a bunch of AMerican Porter and Milk Stouts..

Founders Porter
Duck Rabbit Milk

mighty tasty.

Also killed some hop Stoopid from Lagunitas and SN Hoptimum. The Hoptimum was like eating a Christmas tree.

Gillman
02-03-2011, 08:38
Picked up in New York recently more Guinness FES, some Carnegie Porter 2004 vintage (old Swedish brand in the style of a Baltic porter but less strong, 5.5% ABV), Wrassler's Full Stout, made by Porterhouse, a brewpub/brewery in Ireland, and Tenfidy Imperial Stout, made by one of Cliff's favourite breweries, Oskar Blues.

Going to taste these soon with SB-er (but only occasional contributor) Gary Hodder and I hope to post some jointly written notes on these soon.

Gary

nivto
02-03-2011, 17:54
Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. This is a favorite of mine. Very sweet chocolate with a minimal but perfect hops presence that balances out the finish. The only problem is it is one of the few beers that my girlfriend also loves, so whenever I buy it I need to pick up double!

imbibehour
02-03-2011, 21:51
Anderson Valley Barney Flats Oatmeal Stout. This is a favorite of mine. Very sweet chocolate with a minimal but perfect hops presence that balances out the finish. The only problem is it is one of the few beers that my girlfriend also loves, so whenever I buy it I need to pick up double!

OOOO OOO OOOO!!!!

That beer is real good I AGREE!! I find it extremely fruity and berry on the nose.

Just killed a Founders Double Imperial Stout... happy times!

smokinjoe
02-04-2011, 17:15
It wasn't quite 5 o'clock here, but I just couldn't wait to get into a 2011 Sierra Nevada Glissade Golden Bock. :yum:

Special Reserve
02-04-2011, 17:30
Founders Double Trouble very heavy on the hops. Too heavy for me. If you like IPA I think you'll love this beer as it was more than just hops the the IBU is something like 86.

Give me a beer with a 26 IBU and you're saying something.

Bought a bottle just to try.

KSB will be available in mid March. I'm on the call list. I think I'll have one from last year on Sunday while watching the SB just because I can.

callmeox
02-04-2011, 18:04
Syncrhonicity.

While waiting on some takeout at the local joint, I had a pint of Southern Tier 2xIPA and also a pour of....Founders Double Trouble.

The 2x had a great hoppy aroma and was very crisp, clean and enjoyable. The Founders was a bit deeper and with the slightly higher ABV the citrus from the hops was not as pronounced though it was well rounded.

I'm no hop head, but I love the citrus influence of the hop blends.

DeanSheen
02-04-2011, 18:44
I grabbed a six of Heavy Seas Black Cannon - Black IPA.

It's the Black version of Loose Cannon and I prefer it. The cirtus is muted just enough as is the pine from the IPA. Pretty well balanced and goes down nice.

My favorite version of this beer is still the Heavy Seas on cask though.

Brisko
02-05-2011, 21:23
A coworker gave me a bottle of New Glarus Brewing's Smoked Rye Ale (a one-off, essentially, according to the label).

A smoky, campfire nose, from loads of smoked malt. The rye is really a background flavor here.

from the label: "A bold rich smoky nose is created naturally from a blend of smoked malts from Bamberg Germany and Chilton, Wisconsin, as well as robust Wisconsin rye. Special ale yeast ferments this hazy deep amber brew in the bottle. This is a big smoked beer fermented with Turbinado sugar..."

I think the smoked malt wins out over the rye. Not that it's a bad thing. This reminds me a lot of Ardmore Scotch-- it would be perfect next to an Ardmore or another peated highlander.

nor02lei
02-06-2011, 09:41
I had SN celebration last night that came out February 1 for the yearly release on our government store. Very good indeed!

Leif

DeanSheen
02-11-2011, 18:41
21st Amendment Bitter American.

At 4.4% ABV it's just bitter enough and very drinkable without heaviness. It's a session beer and is a bit more drinkable than another session beer favorite of mine, Session by Full Sail.

Session is a bit more malty while this is more bitter. Good stuff if you don't feel like working at getting one down.

I have had 21st's Back in Black and that's quite good too.

http://www.21st-amendment.com/beer/bitter-american

barturtle
02-12-2011, 09:41
Last night:
New Albanian Brewing Company's Bourbon Society Willett 17yo Bourbon Barrel Chocolate Stout.
NABC Chocolate Stout (non-barrel aged)
NABC Hoptimus
NABC Jaxon
NABC Tunnel Vision.

There may have been some Willett 3yo Rye and 17yo Bourbon mixed in there. And cigars.

"Last year, NABC's Jared Williamson brewed a Chocolate Stout with chocolate three ways (malt, nibs and cocoa; formulated by Jesse Williams) and some raisins to round it out. A portion of the batch was aged for six months in a freshly dumped wooden barrel from Willett bourbon (aka, Kentucky Bourbon Distillers), and it will be ready for drinking on Friday as Willett Bourbon Barrel Chocolate Stout."

yourchoice
02-12-2011, 15:56
Been on a bit of a beer kick lately. Currently am drinking from a growler of Flying Fish Exit 13 Chocolate Stout. Recently have enjoyed:
Left Hand Fade to Black Volume 2
Founders Centennial IPA
Southern Tier 2XIPA
Rouge Chocolate Stout (Great Chocolate Stout)

imbibehour
02-12-2011, 16:38
Killed a bottle of 2010 Abyss and some Founders Imperial... good times...

nor02lei
02-13-2011, 02:34
I did go to my beer club for a nostalgic tasting with beers from 6 different countries plus 2009 utopia as the extra special one. The other American was an 11 % stout from lost Abbey that was the thickest beer I remember ever tasted. Much fuller that the bourbon county stout for instance. I liked it a lot but I liked a Swedish barrel age stout from Dugges in Gothenburg better called perfect idiot. Still my and the crowds favourite was the utopia as expected.

Leif

Gillman
02-13-2011, 03:13
Leif I can "return the favor" by mentioning that I had a Carnegie Porter 2004 in New York recently, in the bottle 7 years and showing no (negative) effects from it. This to me is better than almost all the newer craft stouts. It's only defect is I would prefer a stronger version, but it is full-flavored and supposedly (according to the label) is made the same way as when Carnegie left Scotland to go to Sweden to make it in 1836. Consumed new I am sure it would be a little different, mine was rounded with good chocolate and roasted flavours.

Gary

Khomeinist
02-13-2011, 16:24
Weather over 40F? Broke out the Gaffel Kolsch. Probably my favorite beer from possibly my favorite town.

ggilbertva
02-14-2011, 09:19
Emptied a 22 oz New Holland Dragon's Milk. An exceptional beer and similar in nature to Founders Backwoods Bastard. Very nice indeed.

StraightNoChaser
02-14-2011, 21:52
Just got a six pack of Bell's Hopslam via UPS today.. can't wait to try it!

imbibehour
02-14-2011, 23:09
Just got a six pack of Bell's Hopslam via UPS today.. can't wait to try it!'

you will have fun trust me!

StraightNoChaser
02-16-2011, 00:14
'

you will have fun trust me!
I split one with a friend... it was great! Although my friend had a problem identifying why this beer was better than other hopped ales... I had fun just knowing I was part of an exclusive crowd :slappin:

OscarV
02-16-2011, 13:54
Speaking of beer, me, my Bride and her sister are going to Michigan Brewery this Saturday the 19th.
It's at 1093 Highview Dr, Webberville, MI 48892.
Haven't nailed down the time yet, most likely early afternoon and if any MI Bourbon Hounds show, or anyone for that matter, I'll buy the first round of Russian Imperial Stout.

ratcheer
02-17-2011, 13:52
I just bought a six and drank one of Negra Modelo. It is delish!

Tim

nivto
02-19-2011, 18:48
Weyerbacher 15 - smoked imperial stout

Sometimes I have a hard time picking out smokiness when others say it is obvious, but it is very evident in this pour even to me. Smoke, Cocoa, caramel... smooth and balanced. Another brew that hides its high ABV quite well.

OscarV
02-19-2011, 19:16
Russian Imperial Stout at the Michigan Brewing Co.

Gillman
02-19-2011, 19:40
Warsteiner lager in the white can, about 8 weeks from packaging (per the 12 month date code system). This is essentially the same as numerous draft German and Czech lagers I had on a recent tourney of those lands. It is malty with an earthy/herbal/slightly funky taste, from the hops, that is just like the beers there. Excellent classic helles IMO, the true taste of German lager beer.

Gary

craigthom
02-19-2011, 20:43
I split one with a friend... it was great! Although my friend had a problem identifying why this beer was better than other hopped ales... I had fun just knowing I was part of an exclusive crowd :slappin:

The Hopslam is stacked up all over town in Louisville, and it's available in growlers at Liquor Barn.

I think the Founders Double Trouble is every bit as hoppy and better balanced, and it costs a little bit less ($10/4 compared to $18/6). It's still pricey for beer, but, man, it's good. I started off with one four pack and keep picking up more, so now I've got five in the refrigerator.

Other seasonal beers make sense in their season (harvest ales, holiday beers, summer beers), but it seems odd that so many breweries release their double IPAs in January. Maybe because nothing else claims this time of year.

craigthom
02-25-2011, 14:26
Those of you in the Louisville area may be interested to learn that the Mid City Valumarket has finally given up on that case of Sierra Nevada Estate and has marked it down from $10.99 a bottle to $3.99 a bottle. I thought it was overpriced, but it's worth this. I'm enjoying one now.

I suspect that, while that fancy beer area was an appealing idea for the Highlands store, I don't think it has been as successful as they had hoped. I haven't taken notes, but the beers on tap for growler sales seem to linger longer than they should, and this Estate has been sitting there for months. They've also got a lot of the $9.99 30th anniversary bottles.

But maybe they've got beer shoppers I don't know about. They certainly have the best beer selection in the center of the city. Their only real competition is Liquor Barn, and the closest is probably the new St. Matthews store. Keg Liquor across the river has a nice selection, but it may not be as big.

Anyway, I think the Estate is worth $3.99, especially since the (in my opinion) superior Northern Hemisphere Harvest is long gone. At least until the Southern Hemisphere Harvest comes out in a month or two.

Beer&Bourbon
02-26-2011, 22:17
Some local beer guys got together for a beer tasting tonight. We had Kate the Great, Dark Lord, Darkness, Hunahpu's, Marshal Zhukov's, Speedway stout, Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, Sexual Chocolate, Imperial Stout Trooper, 06 Stone IRS, and Jackie O's Dark Apparition. It was a non-barrel aged stout tasting and it was delicious.

Best of the night: Kate the Great!

nor02lei
02-27-2011, 03:18
Beer Geek Brunch Weasel.

Nice to see that the tasting included a Danish beer!

Leif

Beer&Bourbon
02-27-2011, 20:13
It's odd that a style so strongly associated with european heritage has grown to be one of the biggest (/most popular) styles in the American craft beer scene while being largely ignored by european brewers. We were happy at the end of the night when we realized that at least we had some european representation for this classic style.

unclebunk
02-28-2011, 08:49
Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale on a blustery night. English heaven in a glass!

SBOmarc
03-01-2011, 17:36
Visited the Victory Brewey for a chili cookoff this past Sunday.

Sampled Victory Hop Devil, Hop Wallup and Golden Monkey. The GM is a Belgian coming in at 11.5% abv. They have quite an array of beers and the bar space to handle a crowd. Each of the chili used one of their beers in the recipe.

I did not do the driving on the way home.

Tucker
03-01-2011, 18:01
SweetWater Happy Ending. Hops, coffee, cocoa. A little thin for a double stout, but I really like this.

Tony
03-01-2011, 18:22
Bell's Hopslam today. Love the stuff.

Best regards, tony

dean_martin
03-02-2011, 12:11
It's decidedly un-winter-like here in south Ala. I've been grilling outdoors and picking up pecan tree limbs the past two weekends. Even have a little sun burn to show for my outdoor time. Anyhow, tried my first Cigar City brew on Sunday while grilling - Jai Alai IPA. Plenty of hops, but the underlying carmel malt tones reminded more of Bell's Two Hearted (or maybe DFH 60min) than the west coast hop bombs. Very enjoyable.

craigthom
03-03-2011, 07:20
It's decidedly un-winter-like here in south Ala. I've been grilling outdoors and picking up pecan tree limbs the past two weekends. Even have a little sun burn to show for my outdoor time. Anyhow, tried my first Cigar City brew on Sunday while grilling - Jai Alai IPA. Plenty of hops, but the underlying carmel malt tones reminded more of Bell's Two Hearted (or maybe DFH 60min) than the west coast hop bombs. Very enjoyable.

That sounds good, and it's nice to see brewing going on in Florida, too. I'll look it up, but I assume "Cigar City" is in Tampa, although I associate Jai Alai with other parts of the state.

dean_martin
03-03-2011, 09:31
That sounds good, and it's nice to see brewing going on in Florida, too. I'll look it up, but I assume "Cigar City" is in Tampa, although I associate Jai Alai with other parts of the state.
Yep, Cigar City is in Tampa. I had not seen their products as far north as Pensacola until the weekend. There's a good bit of info about them on beeradvocate.com.

squire
03-03-2011, 15:48
About a decade ago I had a local beer from a brewery in Ybor City (Tampa) but don't recall the name, believe it had a fish on the label.

Phischy
03-04-2011, 14:31
It's odd that a style so strongly associated with european heritage has grown to be one of the biggest (/most popular) styles in the American craft beer scene while being largely ignored by european brewers. We were happy at the end of the night when we realized that at least we had some european representation for this classic style.

The American craft revolution is destroying typical european stalwarts. With exception of the Belgian beers, the US is producing a wider variety and in some cases, exceptional quality. Hell, Germany is having a massive decline in brewing due to lagging demand.

There's no finer place to drink beer than the USofA.

smokinjoe
03-04-2011, 14:57
I'm cheating, in that it's not quite 5:00, yet. But, I resisted White Dog's temptation to have a lunch pour of bourbon earlier today. :D So, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, here I come!

craigthom
03-04-2011, 20:11
The American craft revolution is destroying typical european stalwarts. With exception of the Belgian beers, the US is producing a wider variety and in some cases, exceptional quality. Hell, Germany is having a massive decline in brewing due to lagging demand.

There's no finer place to drink beer than the USofA.

Craft brewers are starting to make Belgian-style beers, too, but there's serious competition there. Few beers have as much terrior as the Belgian ones, especially those that use wild yeast.

squire
03-04-2011, 21:23
So I'm sitting on the porch of the brewery in Amana Colony in Iowa, more than a decade back, plucking a hop bud off the trellis within reach (I had permission) with a selection of six two once samples, all of which were freshly made, sitting on the table. Good stuff, keen as new bread out of the oven. My young son was running his match cars on the table and floor and as our afternoon progressed after lunch he was adopted by the girls who joined in the racing stakes, betting nichols, and of course I paid both those who won or lost and tipped on top of that, great afternoon.

Point being good beer is where you find it.

ILLfarmboy
03-06-2011, 09:45
Last night I ate at the Blue Cat Brewpub In Rock Island. I tried their Blue Bastard Baltic Porter. I didn't like it as much as their Olde English Ale so when it came time for a re-fill I switched.

Their BBQ brisket was delicious and went well with the beer....just wish I had started with the Old English Ale. To my inexperienced beer palette the two aren't that dissimilar but small differences can sure change the level of enjoyment a lot.

smokinjoe
03-06-2011, 10:57
I was supposed to go golfing today, but it's too damp, cool and blustery. So, I'll stay here and sip on this Heavy Seas Loose Cannon Hop3 IPA. Not bad, at all. Gorgeous color. Very silky, and despite the name, not annoyingly over-hopped. Pretty good.

jcg9779
03-07-2011, 15:47
I'm cheating, in that it's not quite 5:00, yet. But, I resisted White Dog's temptation to have a lunch pour of bourbon earlier today. :D So, Bell's Two Hearted Ale, here I come!

How is the Two Hearted Ale, Joe?

A few years back my dad and I were playing golf up in Michigan and we came across Bell's. We were living in Texas at the time and I don't think Bell's distribution was any farther south than Ohio. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I started seeing Bell's Oberon here in Atlanta. I do like Bell's a lot, and will probably pick some of this up if I can find it!

Jack

craigthom
03-07-2011, 16:25
How is the Two Hearted Ale, Joe?

A few years back my dad and I were playing golf up in Michigan and we came across Bell's. We were living in Texas at the time and I don't think Bell's distribution was any farther south than Ohio. It wasn't until a year or two ago that I started seeing Bell's Oberon here in Atlanta. I do like Bell's a lot, and will probably pick some of this up if I can find it!

Jack

I know you didn't ask me, but that's never stopped me before.

The Two-Hearted Ale is an American-style IPA. It's one of the good ones.

That corner of Michigan (and nearby Indiana) are good for that style. You've got Two-Hearted, Founders Centennial, New Holland's Mad Hatter, and Three Floyds Alpha King. I like them all. If forced to rank them, I'd put the Two-Hearted second, but, really, I'd have no problem rotating through the set.

nivto
03-08-2011, 18:15
Bell's Kalamazoo Stout. :cool:

jcg9779
03-09-2011, 13:48
You've got Two-Hearted, Founders Centennial, New Holland's Mad Hatter, and Three Floyds Alpha King. I like them all. If forced to rank them, I'd put the Two-Hearted second, but, really, I'd have no problem rotating through the set.

Thanks Craig...which one is your favorite?

craigthom
03-09-2011, 15:50
Thanks Craig...which one is your favorite?

The Founders, but they are all excellent. I wouldn't turn down any of them.

Luna56
03-10-2011, 11:12
I've been lately really enjoying Red Hook ESB. Close in profile to Sam Adams Boston Lager but just a little hoppier. Made not too far from here and it's excellent. Nice to have a good local brew here in NH.

Cheers!

jcg9779
03-10-2011, 13:17
The Founders, but they are all excellent. I wouldn't turn down any of them.

Picked up a six pack of Founders today - looking forward to trying it!

craigthom
03-10-2011, 17:57
I've been lately really enjoying Red Hook ESB. Close in profile to Sam Adams Boston Lager but just a little hoppier. Made not too far from here and it's excellent. Nice to have a good local brew here in NH.

Cheers!

I had no idea they'd opened a New England brewery, and I see that it was fifteen years ago. Time flies. I guess that counts as local.

I visited the original brewery outside Seattle thirteen years ago, and even then they'd moved production to a big plant further out. The A-B distribution deal has been very good for them (and for Goose Island, apparently).

I'd much rather the majors buy stock in and distribute existing craft breweries than make up their own craft-sounding beers (like Shocktop and Blue Moon).

craigthom
03-10-2011, 17:58
Picked up a six pack of Founders today - looking forward to trying it!

Grab a four-pack of Double Trouble if you can find it. If you like really hoppy beers. Otherwise you may want to skip it.

jcg9779
03-10-2011, 19:59
Grab a four-pack of Double Trouble if you can find it. If you like really hoppy beers. Otherwise you may want to skip it.

I'll look for it. I just finished a Two Hearted Ale...very tasty!

Now on to the Founders...

jcg9779
03-10-2011, 22:11
Craig, I think I agree with you - I thought the Two Hearted Ale was excellent, but I may prefer the Founders. The Founders seemed to have a little more body, although they were very similar and both are terrific beers. I'm sure that I will purchase plenty more of both in the future, if I can find them!

Jono
03-11-2011, 11:21
My neighbor gave me a 7 oz bottle of Little Kings Cream Ale...he likes it on a hot summer day. I don't expect much from it...

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/431/1298

Overall.....C

Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Co.
Cincinnati, Oh
5.5% ABV

It reminds me of a Mickeys or other shelf pick for those looking to get drunk. I will report on it later.

Brisko
03-11-2011, 11:57
Ate at Granite City earlier this week and finally found something I like there. I've never been over fond of their beer offerings, although their seasonals are usually pretty good. Waiter talked me into trying their version of a black and tan-- their stout and their IPA. It's great. Tastes like a decent stout now, not as bland but balanced (I'm no fan of excessively hoppy beers) I'll be ordering that again. Which is good, because their whiskey selection is pretty weak. The have Red Stag, though. :rolleyes:

ILLfarmboy
03-11-2011, 15:42
... I've never been over fond of their beer offerings, although their seasonals are usually pretty good.

I get the impression that they are on the watery side for micro's. I have tried their stout but it seems short on flavor, especialy compared to other local brewpubs.

They seem to really push what they call "two pull", a 50/50 blend of Northern Light and their bock. I didn't care for it. It was sort of like putting too much water in a bourbon and branch. I wished I could have slammed half the mug and had the bar tender top it back off with the bock. It might have saved the dining experience. I like their Brother Bennie's Bock.

I tried a sample of their "whiskey infused" scotch ale. Unless I got the standard scotch ale by mistake, I couldn't taste any whiskey. On a later trip the bar tender was the brewmaster at that location and told me they used Makers Mark and something about a "spiral of charred oak" and 150 gallons of ale. It sounds like to me he just dumped a botthe of Maker's 46 into a vat of the standard scottish ale.

Next seasonal up is Burning Barn Irish Red. (this Sunday, I think) I'll give that one a try.

nivto
03-12-2011, 14:03
Unibroue Maudite. a really great belgium strong dark ale. i like it just a bit more than trois pistoles, but i'm a huge fan of most things unibroue.

jcg9779
03-15-2011, 19:24
Had the Bell's Hopslam and Frontier Centennial tonight - both at the same time to see which one I preferred. The problem is that I went back and forth with each sip, and at the end I think that I'll need two more in order to determine my favorite!

jcg9779
03-16-2011, 10:08
I meant "Founders Centennial" - for some reason I'm not able to edit this post...

craigthom
03-16-2011, 20:03
I meant "Founders Centennial" - for some reason I'm not able to edit this post...

We knew what you meant. I think you can only edit the post for a limited amount of time.

The Founders Double Trouble is closer in style to the Hopslam, being the style called either Imperial IPA, Double IPA, or, increasingly, 2IPA. This is a higher gravity version of the American IPA, with more body, more hops, and a lot more alcohol.

jcg9779
03-18-2011, 00:24
The Founders Double Trouble is closer in style to the Hopslam, being the style called either Imperial IPA, Double IPA, or, increasingly, 2IPA. This is a higher gravity version of the American IPA, with more body, more hops, and a lot more alcohol.

Ok cool...I'll have to look for this one to drink while watching the games this weekend.

cigarnv
03-18-2011, 04:04
Also enjoyed a Founders Double Trouble... a favorite that has just been released in my neck of the woods...

smokinjoe
03-18-2011, 22:24
Spent the afternoon at the local wing joint watching NCAA tournament games, inhaling wings (lemon pepper especially good, BTW), and working through their more than adequate beer line-up. The Hopslam on draft positively sparkled. :yum:

nivto
03-18-2011, 22:39
Spent the afternoon at the local wing joint watching NCAA tournament games, inhaling wings (lemon pepper especially good, BTW), and working through their more than adequate beer line-up. The Hopslam on draft positively sparkled. :yum:

hopslam is delicious! i'm going over to a friend's house tomorrow who is brewing, and he is tapping a keg of his hopslam clone. he's an excellent home brewer, so I'm really excited to taste this.

I went out to eat with friends tonight and had a Rogue Chocolate Stout. For a chocolate stout there is so much coffee in there. I love it!

nor02lei
03-20-2011, 10:16
I had a Danish double black IPA from Amager yesterday with the spicy liver stew for dinner. A fantastic beer, beer stile and paring. Than later at night a Modus Hopperland IPA from Ska brewery. Ok but not more than that. It was far from the quality of the west coast IPA that was released at the same temporary release Mars 1.

Leif

jcg9779
03-20-2011, 20:33

Had the Double Trouble tonight...very good! I just wish I had a Hopslam left that I could compare it to.

cigarnv
03-21-2011, 06:58
Yestery it was a Founders Backwood's Bastard.... for me this is the best of their offering and impossible to find around these parts....

mier
03-22-2011, 04:02
With a bit of luck perhaps in a few weeks i can enjoy the one and only Westvleteren12 i was limited for 2 bottles only.As for now last evening i had a Van Vollenhoven stout a rare beer from the Heinekenbrewery nearby that tastes very good.

Eric.

unclebunk
03-22-2011, 10:43
Picked up the latest Sam Adams twelve pack collection which no longer has the winter brews (Old Fezziwig, Chocolate Bock, Winter Lager, etc.). This may be the best twelve pack configuration yet: Sam Adams Lager, Scotch Ale, Revolutionary Rye, Irish Red, Noble Pils and White Ale. I started with the Revolutionary Rye, having never had it before, and really enjoyed it. The rye is subtle but adds a crisp, light spice flavor that is quite satisfying. Next up was an old favorite, Scotch Ale, which I feel SA does quite well. The Irish Red went down the hatch on St. Patrick's Day and was maltier than expected--good stuff. Just waiting for a sunny, warm day to hit the Noble Pils and White Ale. This twelver is worth it if it's available in your area.

Gillman
03-22-2011, 11:39
Sampler upcoming may be my best chance to get a 6 of Pilsener Urquell talls to the boys (and girls) at Gazebo. I will bring some if I can find it under 3 months from packaging, sometimes I can get it at 8 weeks. The super-freshness and lack of impact from the light (through green glass, I mean) is a revelation. I think it may end up being this and a bottle of my 20-bourbon blend, possibly Manhattan-ized.

Gary

Special Reserve
03-22-2011, 16:52
Yestery it was a Founders Backwood's Bastard.... for me this is the best of their offering and impossible to find around these parts....

Except very near its release it is impossible to find in MI.

craigthom
03-22-2011, 17:35

I saw some of their KBS today, but, at $25 for four 12oz beers, I passed. Instead I got a tall Stone Ruination.

Special Reserve
03-22-2011, 18:55
I saw some of their KBS today, but, at $25 for four 12oz beers, I passed. Instead I got a tall Stone Ruination.

I picked up two for $10. What the hell. It's good! (Or at least last year's version was good.)

I'd would have picked up a 4 pack but they were rationed to those on the list.