PDA

View Full Version : What bourbon did you get for Christmas 2010!

ThomasH
12-26-2010, 15:18
What bourbon did you guys get as gifts for Christmas 2010? I Received a bottle of Buffalo Trace that was a special selection from Table & Vine located in Ma. or NY. It was signed by Halan Wheatley!

Thomas

soad
12-26-2010, 15:33
I got a bottle of Rare Breed and a awesome tin of Makers Mark cigars!!

lrochau
12-26-2010, 16:04
PVW20, ER17 2010, Cedar Ridge bourbon - My three favorite presents of the year

stillmaster
12-26-2010, 16:33
Not bourbon, but a bottle of Templton rye. I am not a big rye fan, but since it was a gift from my two sons, who went to great lengths to get it, it is the best whiskey I have.

mike

squire
12-26-2010, 17:02
That's the best kind of gift Mike.

T Comp
12-26-2010, 18:27
None. My family loves me, knows me and knows better. Our small house and its only spare room, has been gradually taken over by groaning and stacked up liquor case boxes, which also seems to be an impediment.:grin:

MissinER101
12-26-2010, 19:06
Well; when my wife headed south to meet me on my return she brought a bottle of Eagle Rare Single Barrel; gotta say it's the best thing I've tasted in 9 months.

TomH
12-26-2010, 19:24
No actual whiskey, but my son (who just happens to work for Borders) did give me the book, "Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits"

White Dog
12-26-2010, 19:53
I ended up with 2 bottles of Booker's. One at 7yrs+4mo. at 128.6 proof, and one at 6yrs+10mo. at 126 proof. As I would not buy Booker's for myself, I'm quite pleased to have them for comparative tasting.:cool: :cool:

T Comp
12-26-2010, 19:57
No actual whiskey, but my son (who just happens to work for Borders) did give me the book, "Boozehound: On the Trail of the Rare, the Obscure, and the Overrated in Spirits"

Should be a good read. The author, Jason Wilson, writes for the Washington Post and had a pretty good article on bourbon and recommendations back in 2009. He shuns the number rating system too. Actually, thanks to Tom's son, I'm going to shop for the book tomorrow and add it to the holiday reading list.

BMartin42
12-26-2010, 20:13
Santa brought me 4 bottles. Buck, OF Repeal set, OF BB 2008, and Weller SR. I must have been a good boy this year.

jburlowski
12-27-2010, 04:07
No bourbon. But I did get a Jameson 18.

Whiskey Willie
12-27-2010, 05:44
I must have been a bad boy this year...Santa didn't leave me any bourbon, or rye, or any other hootch...bastard

p_elliott
12-27-2010, 06:03
I got 4 bottles of WT 101 that's my daily pour so I guess the wife fiqured that was a safe call.

cgbakerjr
12-27-2010, 06:09
Santa was pretty nice to me: EC18, Blantons and Lot B.

IowaJeff
12-27-2010, 07:16
Eagle Rare SB, WT 101, and WT Rare Breed. All are already open.

silverfish
12-27-2010, 07:40
Got a Pappy 15 and the Regan's Book of Bourbon.

Gift to myself was one bottle each of 2010 GTS and
WLW from the Party Source.

the Duff
12-27-2010, 07:48
No bourbon. A bottle of Stranahan's. Wifey liked the little piece History did on them in the Whiskey Modern Marvels.

Looking at the bottle, I was wondering why they don't call it a single malt. Its 100% barley, new barrel, two years old. Wouldn't you think it would help them?

keng
12-27-2010, 08:08
Lot B. :grin: The wife pays attention!
She actually said she couldn't find the 15yr and told the clerk that she didn't love me enough to buy the 23yr.

sdchap00
12-27-2010, 09:05
2010 ER 17 yo.
Weller 12 yo.

Non-bourbon: Redbreast 12.

peb
12-27-2010, 17:15
My soon-to-be wife got me a bottle of 2010 Stagg and a Jefferson's 17. Her parents gave me a Lot B. It was a great Christmas.

IronHead
12-27-2010, 17:26
I didn't get anything to drink but I did get "The World Atlas of Whisky", "Old Man Drinks: Recipes, Advice and Barstool Wisdom" and a pretty cool stainless flask decorated with a fleur de lis.

jfw
12-27-2010, 20:27
I compiled a list of bourbons not available in the U.S. including pictures for my wife some time ago since she was traveling quite a bit. I recived the following for Christmas:

Wild Turkey 12 yr
Blanton's Gold
Blanton's Silver
Blanton's Special Reserve
Four Roses Super Premium
Evan Williams 23 yr

From my Sister:
Old Rip Van Winkle 23 yr Decanter

Do bourbons you purchase for yourself while Christmas shopping count as bourbons you got for Christmas?

Rotgut
12-28-2010, 06:34
I got a Woodford Reserve with my initials engraved on the bottle. I like the shape of their bottles - they're like a huge flask. I haven't had WR for a while and it's much better than I remember it.

Mike

bourbonNOOG
12-28-2010, 08:36
ER 17 2010 and WLW 2010 from the parents. Opened the 2010 Stagg I bought on my birthday (Dec. 24). The brother, dad and I shared. It was delicious.

jburlowski
12-28-2010, 12:41
My soon-to-be wife got me a bottle of 2010 Stagg and a Jefferson's 17. Her parents gave me a Lot B. It was a great Christmas.

Sounds like you are marrying well.

squire
12-28-2010, 13:50
You guys are fortunate to have such thoughtful mates.

BluesDaddy
12-28-2010, 14:00
No whiskey for me under the tree, but I did get myself a bottle of Bernheim Original today. I've had one pour, so not sure what I think of it quite yet, but the initial taste is pleasant. I like wheated bourbons so I thought I'd like this.

OscarV
12-28-2010, 14:05
Way way way to much Maker's Mark.
My wife got a bottle of MM in the gift box from a client the week before Christmas and gave it to me.
My daughter and my sister-in-law both gave me MM gift boxes for Christmas.
Any suggestions for what I should do with three bottles of MM?
I tried drinking some but it just doesn't go down, it's just there, no depth at all.

CaptainQ
12-28-2010, 14:10
My wife got a bottle of MM in the gift box from a client the week before Christmas and gave it to me.
I tried drinking some but it just doesn't go down, it's just there, no depth at all.
Throw a little bit of WLW in with it.????

OscarV
12-28-2010, 14:21
Throw a little bit of WLW in with it.????

As a matter of fact I did a 50/50 vatting of MM and OWA 107 today and the results were weird, it seemed minty, go figure.

gothbat
12-29-2010, 04:50
For the first time ever I got bourbon as a gift under the tree, a bottle of JRPS (batch #8)! Wonder how they knew to buy that one... :]

cas
12-29-2010, 05:26

Serve to guests. The general perception is that this stuff is really special. But I agree, there's not much to it.

I didn't get any bourbon, but I got a beer assortment including some from a joint Jolly Pumpkin/Stone Brewing venture. Pretty good stuff.

And I did get a gift card that I'm contemplating using toward a bottle of WT Tradition to make the cost almost reasonable...
Craig

DeanSheen
12-29-2010, 08:31
EC 18
Jamesons 18
3 bottles of Scotch.

callmeox
12-29-2010, 08:49
No bourbon, bourbon related items or anything that could be mistaken for bourbon appeared under my tree.

CaptainQ
12-29-2010, 08:57
No bourbon, bourbon related items or anything that could be mistaken for bourbon appeared under my tree.
You must have been on the naughty list.

barturtle
12-29-2010, 08:58

+1

Though I do really like the Solstice gifts I did receive: Kitchenaid Food Processor, Wok, Grill Pan, Deep Fryer.

I'm sure, at some point, bourbon will touch every one of them.

smokinjoe
12-29-2010, 09:34

...Scott says, as he kicks cat, and with hands in pockets, bowed head and bottom lip visibly protruding out...;)

callmeox
12-29-2010, 10:18
...Scott says, as he kicks cat, and with hands in pockets, bowed head and bottom lip visibly protruding out...;)

Yeah, dumb old Christmas! :grin:

All was not lost since Santa brought me a Playstation 3 and Gran Turismo 5.
:bowdown:

My thumbs are a bit sore lately.

barturtle
12-29-2010, 11:14
Yeah, dumb old Christmas! :grin:

All was not lost since Santa brought me a Playstation 3 and Gran Turismo 5.
:bowdown:

My thumbs are a bit sore lately.

You need this............. (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/12/new-gt5-uberwheel-comes-with-uberprice-tag.ars)though it might cut into your bourbon funds a tad.:bigeyes:

55bill
12-29-2010, 11:27
I got gift sets of WT 101 and WTRB. I love turkey for Christmas...or any other holiday!

Cheers.

callmeox
12-29-2010, 11:55
You need this............. (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/12/new-gt5-uberwheel-comes-with-uberprice-tag.ars)though it might cut into your bourbon funds a tad.:bigeyes:

I am struggling with the 130.00 tag on the Logitech GT wheel, so 6 bills is insane. I bet it is a beautiful wheel, tho.

CorvallisCracker
12-29-2010, 15:45
Received no bourbon.

I guess we "went Irish" this year, as I received a bottle of Bailey's (gawdhelpmebutIdolovethestuff) from a friend, and I gave my wife a bottle of Red Breast 15 (the 12 is - was - her favorite whiskey).

Also received a copy of Broom's Atlas, also from a friend (different one).

DeanSheen
12-29-2010, 18:39

Ohh man you got screwed. I know the best whiskey is free whiskey but even that has it's limits.

How about donate it to the local chapter of the legion? Those guys could always use some more pain killer.

callmeox
12-29-2010, 19:00

If I was on the receiving end, I would fully expect Allen Funt to walk in to the room after the third bottle was unwrapped.

Merry Christmas, Oscar.
You're on Candid Camera!
http://modestoradiomuseum.org/images/allen%20funt.jpg

nivto
12-29-2010, 19:17
2 bottles of bookers... luckily for me, i'm a fan of bookers but never want to drop the money on a bottle.

nblair
12-29-2010, 19:46
I received a bottle of Bailey's (gawdhelpmebutIdolovethestuff) from a friend

I'd highly recommend checking out the Buffalo Trace Cream Liqueur. I think it is much better than Bailey's (but maybe that's just because I know it's made with bourbon...)

iudoc97
12-29-2010, 19:56
By the master distiller who happened to be at the distillery in the gift shop. My good friend who really turned on the bourbon taste in me heard me talking about wanting a flask. He was in the area and stopped by the gift shop and was nice enough to pick up the bottle/flask gift set. Tonight I picked up Four Roses single barrel for him to celebrate new years! Of course I anticipate trying it at the party. That will be a new one for me. The small batch was very good!

Chris24
12-29-2010, 20:32
I got a bottle of High West Whiskey 21 year (http://www.highwest.com/index.php/spirits/21-years-old-rocky-mountain-rye-whiskey) as of yet unopened (will be when my brother gets married in about a month). Also a Visa gift card labelled "Booze Money" (any Futurama fans?).

Not to count all the Pappy and BTAC I bought in the last week...

Beer&Bourbon
12-29-2010, 20:37
I got a bottle of Woodford and a 12 pack of small bottles of Makers Mark from the in-laws. Not a fan of either, but the small bottles will be good for pocketing into sporting events and the Woodford will be used for mint juleps at the next Derby party.

I'm just thrilled the in-laws are starting to get me gifts I can enjoy. I'll just have to tweak their knowledge by next Christmas toward some better bourbons.

Luna56
12-29-2010, 22:01
My wife and I go out after Christmas and spend a day shopping together for stuff we need and things we've wanted. We always get a real nice lunch somewhere. It is a great day to spend with my wife and I love telling her "Aw, just get it" when she sees something she wants.

Today on the way back home we stopped at the state liquor store in Portsmouth where I was hoping to score a FR1B. Their website had shown a '10 Handy in stock, but when I inquired a week and a half ago it was "being held." I checked again on my iPhone when we pulled into the parking lot and the one bottle of
Handy was still shown as 'in stock." Long story short: I was fortunate enough to talk to the same guy I talked to last time I was in. He went out back, brought the bottle up to the register and said "You snooze, you lose!" So I walked out with an excellent bottle of ERSB and a Handy as well. THe Handy is fantastic, by the way, easily as good as I remember last year's being.

I'll pour one more lil' pour to toast you all with.

Cheers!

BradleyC
12-29-2010, 22:26
I got the "But Always Fine Bourbon" book as a gift. I haven't gotten into it yet, but I'm looking forward to it

peb
12-30-2010, 12:18
Sounds like you are marrying well.

I certainly am. I like to think that she is too, but I shouldn't kid myself.

MissinER101
12-30-2010, 14:21
Well; I guess you could call them Christmas Bourbons as the wife was with me and she encouraged me to get them, listed with pictures in Dusty finds.

One Grand Dad Handle appears to be an '85 and two 375s that appear to be '92s
One Heaven Hill green label Old Fashioned Bourbon appears to be an '87
Two Even Williams 200 green label appear to be '88s
Two Dickels don't have bottle numbers that seem to be dates but real tax stamps
One Benchmark appearsto be an '82
One WL Weller has a fax tax stamp and govt warning and UPC
Two Even Williams 200 year anniversary decanters so that and the bottle markings make them '83s.

Jwilly019
12-30-2010, 20:52
I received a 375 of Buffalo Trace from a friend who knew I enjoyed it. He and I, along with a couple of other friends, spent Tuesday night playing poker and sampling BT, JBB, JBW, as well as a couple bottles of rum. Needless to say, we had a good time. :grin:

rocky480
12-30-2010, 22:14
Among my wife's siblings and their spouses or significant others, we always exchange small gifts. Everybody loves to get me because they know that bourbon is an easy route to go for my gift. Since I was tired of getting Maker's Mark each year, I helped my brother-in-law out this year by having my wife pick up his gift to me... a deeply discounted bottle of ORVW 10/107. He was a little upset about me knowing what I was getting, but that seemed to pass after I offered to share a few pours with him.

straightwhiskeyruffneck
12-30-2010, 22:35
Got a rare breed, Kentucky spirit, a birthday bourbon and a bottle of knob creek single barrel made exclusively for a local liquor store. I did good

squire
12-31-2010, 17:02
10 yr 107 Van Winkle over Makers? Man that's a choice I would make any day.

rocky480
12-31-2010, 20:40
10 yr 107 Van Winkle over Makers? Man that's a choice I would make any day.

For those who don't know as much about bourbon, I've found that Maker's tends to be viewed a bit more favorably than something with a name like Old Rip Van Winkle. Don't worry, I did my best to provide a little more knowledge for my BIL from my limited knowledge bank.

squire
01-01-2011, 16:13
Certainly true with my Scotch drinking friends. Say Bourbon and they think Makers or Jack.

hairbag
01-02-2011, 07:27
My fiancee got us a bottle of W.H. Harrison Indiana bourbon. And I got us a Glenlivet gift box with 15 and 18 year old samplers and glasses(not bourbon I know but I like scotch too ;) ).
HB

dbk
01-02-2011, 08:46
Took a trip down to NYC this holiday, and came back with Jefferson's Presidential Select 18, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Parker's Heritage Collection 2010 release.

My collection of wheaters has grown by leaps and bounds (MM, MM46, W.L. Weller Special Reserve 12, William Larue Weller 2009 and 2010, Jefferson's Presidential Select 17 and 18, and PVW15), but so far the only one I've ever opened was the standard MM. I guess I'll have to crack a new one soon!

bonneamie
01-02-2011, 10:35
My BFF gave me a bottle of PVW15. Thank you, BFF!! And my BiL gave me a bottle of Brewer's Whiskey--malt whiskey put out by the New Holland Brewing Company, signed, batch 1, bottle 238.

HighTower
01-04-2011, 00:33
I got a 1L bottle of Maker's Mark from my sister but that is all.
I did buy myself quite a few bourbons that arrived in December, I suppose we can call them gifts to myself....
Very Old Barton 100 proof
2009 Sazerac 18 Rye
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Elmer T Lee
Parkers Heritage Golden Anniverdsary
Parkers Heritage 10yo Wheater

Some other things arrived this week care of my sister, she's been holding them for me....
Maker's 46
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit 09
Canadian Club 30yo (anyone tried this?)

I haven't had internet for a month here after problems with our service provider, but would like to wish everyone a belated Merry Christmas and all the best for 2011!!

Scott

BBQ+Bourbon
01-04-2011, 19:15
Took a trip down to NYC this holiday, and came back with Jefferson's Presidential Select 18, Four Roses Single Barrel, and Parker's Heritage Collection 2010 release.

My collection of wheaters has grown by leaps and bounds (MM, MM46, W.L. Weller Special Reserve 12, William Larue Weller 2009 and 2010, Jefferson's Presidential Select 17 and 18, and PVW15), but so far the only one I've ever opened was the standard MM. I guess I'll have to crack a new one soon!
Open the Pappy 15 last. It is, by far, my favorite of the bunch. Don't want to start with the best and create unrealistic expectations. The others range from ehhh to hmmmm.

dbk
01-05-2011, 04:57
Open the Pappy 15 last. It is, by far, my favorite of the bunch. Don't want to start with the best and create unrealistic expectations. The others range from ehhh to hmmmm.

I've noticed a lot of folks on SB share your sentiments toward PVW15, BBQ+Bourbon, although there's a lot of William Larue Weller love out there, too. But I think you're right that I shouldn't spoil the fun (and my tastebuds) by starting with the best. Thanks for the advice!

Bushape1
01-05-2011, 06:59
Got my first bottle of LOT B for X-mas.
Very Good Stuff.

rc

B-Zero
01-05-2011, 07:06
Old Forester Birthday Bourbon
Parkers Heritage 10yo Wheater
Maker's 46
Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit 09

Scott

Hey Scott, curious as to where to achieved these scores? Being another Brisbanite.. always curious. Especially the PH 10y Wheat.. i have the previous 3 bottlings and desperate for this one. Also the OFBB and Kentucky Spirit??

Rutter
01-05-2011, 07:23
Just a bottle of pikesville from my kind lady, I've yet to really have a good sample of it yet but I'd not seen it over here before she got it for me.

unclebunk
01-05-2011, 08:15

That's a beautiful haul. Enjoy!

jonbob
01-05-2011, 18:34
I picked up a bottle of Booker's for myself and liked it so much I though I should join up here to find out more :)

Master_Photog
01-06-2011, 02:32
My lovely wife got me this!!!

http://www.cs2photography.com/BMH.jpg

MissinER101
01-07-2011, 20:09
Well, we had our mail held at the post office and I just picked it up today; got a bottle of Makers from my BIL; it's OK he's Irish what's he know about bourbon :rolleyes: it's the thought right?

squire
01-07-2011, 21:31
For years a scotch drinking bud would gift me a bottle of Eagle Rare until he heard I liked Old Grand Dad. It's the thought that counts.

birdman1099
01-08-2011, 06:08
I see you have trained her well !!!! Do you have any tips for me to get my wife to drop that much coin for a bottle for me????:grin:

My lovely wife got me this!!!

http://www.cs2photography.com/BMH.jpg

donzz
01-08-2011, 15:41
I got 2 Pappy 15 yr
1 Pappy 20 yr
1 lot b

It was a good year

Don

warehouseman
01-08-2011, 17:37
8 yr Beams Black Label