PDA

View Full Version : Are the bean counters getting too much control?

barturtle
12-30-2010, 08:48
It might seem so, if this job title I ran across on one of the distillers' job boards is any clue.

Title: Senior Accountant/Product Engineer :skep:

DeanSheen
12-30-2010, 09:20
Did it say they would pay a bonus for applicants with experience in the Scotch industry?

squire
12-30-2010, 14:40
As long as the 'people buy brands' crowd rules.

flintlock
12-31-2010, 12:42
It might seem so, if this job title I ran across on one of the distillers' job boards is any clue.

Title: Senior Accountant/Product Engineer :skep:

Sad. How about "Head of marketing/master distiller." :rolleyes:

cowdery
01-01-2011, 11:28
This idea that every company has to have a 'master distiller' is of a fairly recent vintage so any contention that the title is being debased is so much poppycock, and I say that even though I've made the argument myself. Lincoln Henderson's real title at Brown-Forman was Director of Whiskey Development and Maturation. He was only given the title of 'master distiller' when it began to seem like everybody had to have one. In Lincoln's case, he was the guy who ran the labs. Each of the distlleries has a manager who runs the distillery. Booker Noe was also given the 'master distiller' title rather late in the game. Booker was the distiller in charge of the Beam plant at Boston, KY, that now bears his name. His cousin Baker Beam was the day shift distiller at Clermont and Baker's brother, David, was the night shift distiller at Clermont. Ever since the 'master distiller' title became ubiquitous it has been a mix of distilling and promotion. The irony, as the distillers will tell you, is that historically you even housed the distiller on the premises because you never wanted him to be very far away when the distillery was running. Now they're on the road doing promotional duty 25% to 50% of the time.

Josh
01-01-2011, 12:47
This idea that every company has to have a 'master distiller' is of a fairly recent vintage...Ever since the 'master distiller' title became ubiquitous it has been a mix of distilling and promotion. The irony, as the distillers will tell you, is that historically you even housed the distiller on the premises because you never wanted him to be very far away when the distillery was running. Now they're on the road doing promotional duty 25% to 50% of the time.

Similar to the title "University President" then.

cowdery
01-01-2011, 22:07
Similar to the title "University President" then.

But without responsibility for the football program.

flintlock
01-02-2011, 08:38
But without responsibility for the football program.

But would that not be great? "Today it's the Beam Bruisers versus the Weller Wildcats here at Van Winkle Stadium..."

ethangsmith
01-02-2011, 09:39
...and from our Pennsylvania league, it's the Michter's Sour Mashers and the Continental Rittenhouse Rangers!

I didn't realize the "Master Distiller" position at distilleries is a newer concept. I have paperwork from Michter's (and its predecessors) titling Everett Beam and then Dick Stoll as "Master Distiller." These papers are from the 60's through the 80's. So was Michter's a trend-setter or were they just one of the few that actually had a master distiller?

cowdery
01-02-2011, 11:46
...and from our Pennsylvania league, it's the Michter's Sour Mashers and the Continental Rittenhouse Rangers!

I didn't realize the "Master Distiller" position at distilleries is a newer concept. I have paperwork from Michter's (and its predecessors) titling Everett Beam and then Dick Stoll as "Master Distiller." These papers are from the 60's through the 80's. So was Michter's a trend-setter or were they just one of the few that actually had a master distiller?

Distilleries like Michter's, that were driven as much by tourism and decanter collection as they were by just making and selling products, were more likely to use the term "master distiller." Distilleries that employed a Beam were also more likely to tout their distiller, and most just used the term "distiller" rather than "master distiller."

ethangsmith
01-02-2011, 12:19
Makes sense. Dick Stoll was a very busy Master Distiller compared to the rest it seems. He did actually oversee all distilling aspects and rarely, if ever, did any public relations stuff. That was for the Michter's salespeople.