PDA

View Full Version : mellow corn expanding is distribution area?

tmckenzie
01-06-2011, 10:58
It seems hh is want more people to have mellow corn. I found out this morning that it is now available in New York state. There is a store in Ithaca that has it. I love the stuff and hav never seen it outside of Kentucky and Tennesee.

theDon
01-06-2011, 13:16
Bring it to Texas! I'm tired of going to Oklahoma to to get it. Yankees scare me.

CaptainQ
01-06-2011, 16:34
Bring it to Texas! I'm tired of going to Oklahoma to to get it. Yankees scare me.

Don't you mean Okies.:grin:

I like Mellow Corn and we can even get it up here in Yankeeville(or SEE attle as my south Texas bil calls it).

Gillman
01-06-2011, 17:38
I saw it in Au Bon Marche in Paris recently (high end department store), next to some well-reputed bourbons.

Gary

gothbat
01-07-2011, 05:55
It seems hh is want more people to have mellow corn. I found out this morning that it is now available in New York state. There is a store in Ithaca that has it.

That is great news! What's it going for where you found it?

cowdery
01-07-2011, 12:20
Hang on. I'm still savoring the image of Mellow Corn on sale at Au Bon Marche.

tmckenzie
01-07-2011, 14:25
never heard of it, but sounds very high toned. mellow corn must be like bull in a china shop there.

Gillman
01-07-2011, 15:07
Well Chuck, it runs like this. You walk through the main entrance of a vaulted and galleried 1800's building and onto to the food and wine area, first passing salesgirls offering samples of alluring French scents, then through the food area with fine charcuterie piled up and 100 cheeses or so, on through the special Fauchon section, and finally to the wine area which I walked by quickly (not really being a wine guy), and next is the whiskey area with a wall of fine malts and other Scotch whiskies and some Irish too, but then you see a shelf with American whiskies. IIRC, there were Blanton, Woodford Reserve, and Mellow Corn, and possibly a rye. Past that section is the Belgian and French beer section (with some imports beyond Belgium) where I spent the most time. Reputed the largest food department in Paris. Actually Mellow Corn fits in very well because the French appreciate artisan products and the food hall is full of them, so why not an American one?

Gary

ethangsmith
01-07-2011, 16:22
I've been tempted to try some Mellow Corn but I don't know if I'll like it. What does it taste like in comparison to bourbon??

cowdery
01-08-2011, 13:58
I urge everyone to pull the trigger on Mellow Corn if you have it available. For one thing, it's cheap (though perhaps not if you buy it at Au Bon Marche). It's not as rough as an unaged corn but still grassy and vegetal. The barrels are used so you get more tannin and other woody flavors rather than the vanilla and caramel you get from something aged in new wood. It's not something you'll drink everyday, probably. It's also pretty good in some cocktails. You can use it as you would tequila, which it tastes like a little.

ethangsmith
01-08-2011, 14:32
Being BIB, I'm assuming it has spent the proper 2 years in oak barrels? I was also under the assumption that if something was BIB, it had to be in new oak barrels, but I guess I was wrong on that thought. I'll have to see if I can find a bottle in Maryland. As usual, this is not carried in God awful PA "state stores."

proof and age
01-08-2011, 17:00
Mellow Corn will be available in more markets as the year unfolds, which is great news for the fans of unique Straight American whiskey types. NY and Illinois are some of the newest additions, more to come.

cowdery
01-10-2011, 02:07
Corn whiskey is always the exception. BIB means four years in either used cooperage or new but uncharred cooperage. My guess would be used.

Enoch
05-22-2011, 16:18
Does anyone know if there is a difference between Mellow COrn and JW Corn... both HH products or is it the same stuff just packaged differently.

tmckenzie
05-22-2011, 17:32
I have tasted mellow corn, Jw corn, and dixie dew. As far as I know, that is all the aged corn from HH. All 3 taste different. To me the boldest of the 3 is Dixie Dew. As far as I know, it is only available in Alabama abc stores. Mellow Corn, is just that, mellow. Jw corn almost tastes like young scotch to me. Only place I know of with jw corn is Virginia. The Alabama thing must be like evan williams was for years, the age statement for evan, was 6 yeas old. Must be a control state thing. Same thng with JW.

White Dog
05-31-2011, 12:29
There is one store in Milwaukee that carries them all, but only one store. He forces the local HH distributor to bring them in for him.

Brisko
05-31-2011, 13:54
I have tasted mellow corn, Jw corn, and dixie dew. As far as I know, that is all the aged corn from HH.

If I'm not mistaken they are making Platte Valley now, too. Besides Georgia Moon it's the only one I see regularly here. Mine's 3 years old.

tmckenzie
05-31-2011, 17:47
they do make it. I had some 2 years ago. it was great. HH does a great job on corn.

unclebunk
06-01-2011, 08:05
I'm on my way to pick up a bottle today. Mellow Corn is now readily available here in Chicagoland, though I wish Dixie Dew was around for comparison purposes.

Stu
06-01-2011, 08:06
I thought Platte Valley was a distillery in MO. Did they sell out to HH?

cowdery
06-01-2011, 09:56
I thought Platte Valley was a distillery in MO. Did they sell out to HH?

Yes, probably 20 years ago. A mere moment to old-timers like us, Stu.

Of the major distilleries, Heaven Hill is the only one that makes and sells corn whiskey. Some of the others make it for internal purposes, but only HH makes it for sale. So unless the corn whiskey you see is from a micro, it's from HH.

ethangsmith
06-23-2011, 19:33
I was mailed a sample from a friend that can get Mellow Corn. WOW! I need to find a good source of this stuff ASAP.

fitzharry
10-23-2011, 10:34
I've never had the opportunity to drink any Mellow Corn and am so envious of everyone that can buy it at their local stores.

I've been working to get it at Spec's in downtown Houston for some time now, but as I understand it Texas may not be in the distribution area yet. Just yesterday I emailed Heaven Hill to plead my case to them and even mentioned that I would order two cases of it from them, if I could get it. Figure that might last me for a year if I like Mellow Corn, which I'm pretty sure I will.

Until then, I am making do with Platte Valley and the Hirsch straight corn whiskies...but I sure would like to get some 100 proof Mellow Corn.

fitzharry
10-24-2011, 11:58
Well, I got the official word from Tiena Haag at Heaven Hill that "Currently, there are no retail outlets in Texas that carry Mellow Corn."

Unfortunately, I already knew this.

So I emailed her back and asked why Texas is not included in the distribution list, especially since we already receive most other Heaven Hill products.

For some reason, I don't think I'm going to receive another response...

Guess it's just time to hang it up and continue to drink Old Charter since I can't get the Mellow Corn.

fitzharry
10-24-2011, 12:03
Well, what do you know? I did indeed receive another response from Heaven Hill:

"This is a regional product. It is available in the following states:
Georgia
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
New York
Tennessee"

But I know they sell it in Oklahoma and I've seen it on North Carolina's ABC list, too, so why are they providing this incomplete response?

White Dog
10-24-2011, 14:17
Well, what do you know? I did indeed receive another response from Heaven Hill:

"This is a regional product. It is available in the following states:
Georgia
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
New York
Tennessee"

But I know they sell it in Oklahoma and I've seen it on North Carolina's ABC list, too, so why are they providing this incomplete response?

Because the Kentucky Bourbon industry is as backwards as they come.:rolleyes: Mellow Corn can be purchased at Ray's Liquor in the Milwaukee area, and it's not dusty, but current.

fitzharry
10-24-2011, 20:38
Because the Kentucky Bourbon industry is as backwards as they come.:rolleyes: Mellow Corn can be purchased at Ray's Liquor in the Milwaukee area, and it's not dusty, but current.

I think you are absolutely correct. And, since Heaven Hill is a privately-held company, they really don't have to tell us anything if they don't want to. Sad, but true.

HHBOURBONMAN
10-28-2011, 09:26
Larry from Heaven Hill here. Firstly, I want to thank everyone for the nice comments about Mellow Corn BIB. I have been on a bit of a personal mission for several years now to see that this gets a bit more attention...

I was hoping Fitzharry might have already posted this, but in fact Tiena, who works with me, did get back to him and provide more information on where the brand can be found. Tiena in customer service is able to access two types of information--our own reports which detail what we shipped to each of our wholesalers, and a report provided by our wholesalers that tells what retail and on-premise accounts they then shipped our product to (because as a supplier, we are, as most of you probably know, prohibited from selling directly to retailers). Tiena had originally provided him with the list of retail accounts that our wholesalers generate for us that said they stocked Mellow Corn. This information can be a bit sketchy and in the case of control states often unavailable, especially for a tiny brand like Mellow Corn, which is why Tiena then went back to him and gave him the list of states we shipped Mellow Corn into, which was

Arkansas
Georgia
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
Mississippi
Montana
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Washington

Hope this explains a bit and helps...we as an industry are not as backwards, and we as a company are not as uncaring, as some might imply.

ethangsmith
10-28-2011, 16:36
Larry,

Glad to see a list of state I can get Mellow Corn in. Is there any way to get it in Maryland? I live in PA, so there is NO chance of the PLCB picking it up any time soon as far as I know, so my next best-bet is to get it in Maryland. What is the reasoning for only distributing in certain states? Is it limited supply or just fear of not selling well? I would drink Mellow Corn every evening if I could, and I have a few friends that would as well- if we could get it! It's an awesome and unique product!

White Dog
10-28-2011, 19:31
Larry from Heaven Hill here. Firstly, I want to thank everyone for the nice comments about Mellow Corn BIB. I have been on a bit of a personal mission for several years now to see that this gets a bit more attention...

I was hoping Fitzharry might have already posted this, but in fact Tiena, who works with me, did get back to him and provide more information on where the brand can be found. Tiena in customer service is able to access two types of information--our own reports which detail what we shipped to each of our wholesalers, and a report provided by our wholesalers that tells what retail and on-premise accounts they then shipped our product to (because as a supplier, we are, as most of you probably know, prohibited from selling directly to retailers). Tiena had originally provided him with the list of retail accounts that our wholesalers generate for us that said they stocked Mellow Corn. This information can be a bit sketchy and in the case of control states often unavailable, especially for a tiny brand like Mellow Corn, which is why Tiena then went back to him and gave him the list of states we shipped Mellow Corn into, which was

Arkansas
Georgia
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
Mississippi
Montana
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Washington

Hope this explains a bit and helps...we as an industry are not as backwards, and we as a company are not as uncaring, as some might imply.

Fair enough, but your records should also show sales to Wisconsin. Your WI distributor, Badger Liquor, special orders it for Ray's Liquor of Wauwatosa, WI. You conveniently failed to address this. So yes, everyone, this can also be purchased in Wisconsin, regardless of what HH Corporate puts out.

p_elliott
10-28-2011, 22:01
HH in general and Larry specifically has been very kind and generous to SB.com events. So lets please watch where we step here, Thank You. Just my 2 cents I don't represent SB.com.

dohidied
10-29-2011, 07:40
Well, I guess I'm going to have to drive to Oregon.

White Dog
10-29-2011, 09:51
HH in general and Larry specifically has been very kind and generous to SB.com events. So lets please watch where we step here, Thank You. Just my 2 cents I don't represent SB.com.

Sorry, Paul. I just want the full truth from distilleries, but I never get it.:rolleyes:

HHBOURBONMAN
10-29-2011, 10:36
Larry,

Glad to see a list of state I can get Mellow Corn in. Is there any way to get it in Maryland? I live in PA, so there is NO chance of the PLCB picking it up any time soon as far as I know, so my next best-bet is to get it in Maryland. What is the reasoning for only distributing in certain states? Is it limited supply or just fear of not selling well? I would drink Mellow Corn every evening if I could, and I have a few friends that would as well- if we could get it! It's an awesome and unique product!
Ethan, thanks for this. I'd like to tell you there is a firm strategic distribution plan in place, but for a brand like Mellow Corn, distribution is driven mostly by history, a bit by opportunism, and a bit by "trends". I'd like to tell you it's a high priority with our distributors and sales force, but...and in control states, there are many other forces at play. Certainly it is not a supply issue (a la Rittenhouse BIB), nor concerns about it not selling, more just the vagaries of our 3 tier system. I will personally ask about MD though, and pm you if I find out anything. Thanks for the nice comments about the brand, I'll tell Parker about it while I'm with him in NY for the show Tuesday!

HHBOURBONMAN
10-29-2011, 10:56
Sorry, Paul. I just want the full truth from distilleries, but I never get it.:rolleyes:
Paul, thanks for your comment it is appreciated and glad to help where and when I can.

White Dog, I assure you I am not conveniently leaving out anything or not giving full truth, no grassy knoll here that I am hiding Mellow Corn behind:)! My initial intent here was hooking up Tiena, who works for me and wouldn't see what is written here, with Fitzharry, who wasn't getting the info he needed. I pulled a shipment report and gave it to Tiena to pass on, on Friday afternoon. I noted that you had mentioned WI and that I was not getting it on the shipment report, I'm not sure why that is still but couldn't get it answered before I had to leave on Friday. I'll ask Monday, maybe such small special orders are not captured, maybe it came through another distributor, maybe parallel shipped (though I doubt the last two), but I will ask. No intention to withhold truth, I can assure you. And besides, really, why would I risk my stellar reputation on Mellow Corn:)?!?

ethangsmith
10-29-2011, 11:30
Ethan, thanks for this. I'd like to tell you there is a firm strategic distribution plan in place, but for a brand like Mellow Corn, distribution is driven mostly by history, a bit by opportunism, and a bit by "trends". I'd like to tell you it's a high priority with our distributors and sales force, but...and in control states, there are many other forces at play. Certainly it is not a supply issue (a la Rittenhouse BIB), nor concerns about it not selling, more just the vagaries of our 3 tier system. I will personally ask about MD though, and pm you if I find out anything. Thanks for the nice comments about the brand, I'll tell Parker about it while I'm with him in NY for the show Tuesday!

Thanks for the reply. I had contacted Stan, owner of Midway Liquors of Joppa,MD a little while ago about getting Mellow Corn through his store. He said he would check on it as well, but said he didn't think he could get it since the distributors in MD didn't have it. I had also talked to a friend of mine in the PLCB in PA about getting it and he said the same thing- no distributors carried it. I completely understand the whole controlled distribution idea. Protecting your profits is important and making sure you're in stong markets is what any good business should do. Hopefully we can get at least some bottles in MD or PA. Keep me posted on what happens!

ethangsmith
10-29-2011, 11:32
Even if it comes to PA as an SLO (Special Liquor Order) item and I've got to order it by the case, I would still be good for a case every few months!

fitzharry
10-29-2011, 17:49

Arkansas
Georgia
Illinois
Kansas
Kentucky
Mississippi
Montana
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
Virginia
Washington

Larry:

Sorry for my late reply.

As you stated, Ms. Haag certainly did get back in touch with me with further explanation. She has been extremely helpful, and I have greater respect for Heaven Hill than I did before because of her assistance. I am a confirmed Heaven Hill customer, even though we can't get the elusive Mellow Corn in Texas...yet.

Please take this as my formal request to bring Mellow Corn to Texas. Thanks again for your help with this issue.

tmckenzie
11-04-2011, 05:27
Larry, why we have you on the line, could you tell us where all dixie dew is available? I have only ever seen it in the Alabama abc stores. It just got like a 97 in Jim Murrays new whiskey bible. 4 points higher than our corn.

HHBOURBONMAN
11-07-2011, 08:08
Larry, why we have you on the line, could you tell us where all dixie dew is available? I have only ever seen it in the Alabama abc stores. It just got like a 97 in Jim Murrays new whiskey bible. 4 points higher than our corn.

Only Alabama...and not a lot there, either. Every year we have one of these that Jim Murray goes off on, not that I am complaining, in the past it has been Daniel Stewart and Virgin Bourbon!

Also, we had a meeting last week and one of the topics was expansion of Mellow Corn. It is happening, not sure what markets yet and when but our sales group will be talking about this internally first.

ethangsmith
11-07-2011, 16:02
Only Alabama...and not a lot there, either. Every year we have one of these that Jim Murray goes off on, not that I am complaining, in the past it has been Daniel Stewart and Virgin Bourbon!

Also, we had a meeting last week and one of the topics was expansion of Mellow Corn. It is happening, not sure what markets yet and when but our sales group will be talking about this internally first.

Yay! Hopefully either PA or MD make the list!

dohidied
11-08-2011, 01:35
I bet bartenders in San Francisco would love to buy cases and cases of it for cocktails. ;)

cowdery
11-08-2011, 08:44
To me, the point of Mellow Corn is the aging. Micro-distillers are missing a bet not doing an aged corn whiskey. It's a lot cheaper than bourbon because you use used barrels. I don't know if all MC is BIB, but what I have is, which means it's aged at least 4 years.

tmckenzie
11-08-2011, 17:32
There may be some corn coming along from aged barrels. You never know. Chuck, how many micros do you know of that actually make a true corn whiskey. White, not a white whiskey.

HRay
11-09-2011, 17:21
I see that Mellow Corn is available in Georgia (it's on the list) and after what I have read here about Mellow Corn, I am intrigued anough to go downtown and get a bottle tomorrow. I've seem it on the shelves and didn't know Heaven Hill made it. Do they make Georgia Moon as well?

Ray in Atlanta

Brisko
11-09-2011, 21:29
Yes, they make Georgia Moon (it is un-aged or at least, very young). Pretty much any corn whiskey that isn't from a micro is HH make. They do a good job with it.

cowdery
11-09-2011, 22:25
There may be some corn coming along from aged barrels. You never know. Chuck, how many micros do you know of that actually make a true corn whiskey. White, not a white whiskey.

Pretty much I don't believe a micro is making anything until I've seen them do it. There are new names out there every day, but I think it's mostly Potemkins.

Leopold
11-11-2011, 10:40
They are indeed mostly Potemkins. What's happening is that excited entrepreneurs decided that they want to make whiskey. In their research, they discover bulk whiskey.... and their notion of making whiskey goes away because actually making it looks too hard.

And this would be fine, except we're getting robbed of new whiskey distilleries, and all the creativity that would come out of them figuring out how to do it. And that's a damn shame, if you ask me. What if Stone Brewing and Firestone Walker and breweries like them never happened because they chose to become contract brewers instead?

BTW, Mr. Cowdery... in case you were concerned about our shop:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150375725091236&set=a.107922511235.94767.36625626235&type=1&theater

tmckenzie
11-11-2011, 15:09
yep, potemkins. I was recently contacted by a broker who wanted bulk corn with lots of heads and tails in it, so that it could be sold bulk and blended with gns so people could start mircodistilling. Wow.

Parkersback
11-11-2011, 17:14

Is that a hint? :yum:

cowdery
11-12-2011, 01:26
They are indeed mostly Potemkins. What's happening is that excited entrepreneurs decided that they want to make whiskey. In their research, they discover bulk whiskey.... and their notion of making whiskey goes away because actually making it looks too hard.

And this would be fine, except we're getting robbed of new whiskey distilleries, and all the creativity that would come out of them figuring out how to do it. And that's a damn shame, if you ask me. What if Stone Brewing and Firestone Walker and breweries like them never happened because they chose to become contract brewers instead?

BTW, Mr. Cowdery... in case you were concerned about our shop:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150375725091236&set=a.107922511235.94767.36625626235&type=1&theater

I think we all enjoy a good high krausen.

HRay
11-20-2011, 23:25
I see that Mellow Corn is available in Georgia (it's on the list) and after what I have read here about Mellow Corn, I am intrigued anough to go downtown and get a bottle tomorrow. I've seem it on the shelves and didn't know Heaven Hill made it. Do they make Georgia Moon as well?

I looked for Mellow Corn and although I'm pretty sure I've seem it here somewhere, I did not see it at the two stores I frequent (Tower and Green's). I did however see Georgia Moon (seems logical in Atlanta). What is the difference between the two?

tmckenzie
11-21-2011, 05:32
Gerorgia moon is watered down Mellow corn white dog if you will.

cowdery
11-21-2011, 10:21
They're both made by Heaven Hill and are the same out of the still. Georgia Moon is un-aged and 40% ABV. Mellow Corn is aged at least 4 years in used barrels and 50% ABV.

ethangsmith
11-22-2011, 16:23
I wonder what the barrels previously held in them? I'm sure that's going to influence the taste a bit.

SmoothAmbler
11-22-2011, 20:05
We are making a corn whiskey. It's 80% corn and 20% malted barley and aged in used barrels. We also stick that grain bill in new barrels, which is bourbon.

We are going to blend those two to make one product that will be labeled as neither a corn whiskey nor bourbon. We're got the labels approved a while back and we're just going to call it "Appalachian Whiskey". We're pretty excited about.

My thinking has been that when people around here think of moonshine, they mistakenly think it's corn liquor. In fact, most of it around these parts is made from sugar. So, it's really our play on aged moonshine, if there ever was such a thing. The label is more about the region and not so hokey as I make it sound.

We started putting it away last year so I hope to have some out next spring. It's interesting now, but a bit green.

Brisko
11-23-2011, 07:48
I wonder what the barrels previously held in them? I'm sure that's going to influence the taste a bit.

Probably HH bourbon?:grin:

but it would be interesting to know if they were young barrels or old.

Chuck, when they reuse barrels, do they re-char them?

cowdery
11-23-2011, 10:50
Since Heaven Hill sells the vast majority of its used barrels, I assume they keep some of the most desirable ones for their own limited re-use purposes.

I also assume that the most desirable ones are the youngest, i.e., the ones that held bourbon for the least amount of time. The bourbon that is used for ready-to-drinks for the Australian market is barely two years old--just old enough to be called 'straight bourbon.' I imagine those are the barrels they retain for aging Mellow Corn.

No, they don't re-char them. They are merely emptied and rinsed. I know of no re-charring done by U.S. distilleries, but I know the Scottish distilleries do, on occasion, scrape and re-char. Obviously, this is highly labor intensive and is not done often.

Heaven Hill's principal use for used barrels is for aging their brandies, primarily Christian Brothers. In addition to the youth of the barrels, there is the fact that both the brandies and the bourbon for the ready-to-drinks are aged at Bernheim, whereas the rest of Heaven Hill's bourbons are aged in Bardstown and vicinity. There's a good chance that Mellow Corn is also aged at Bernheim.

The masonry warehouses at Bernheim are mostly empty, so anything they can age there and not ship to Bardstown they probably do age there. Parker and Craig Beam don't like the way the masonry warehouses age so with the exception of the RTD stuff and some contract production, they don't age any bourbon there.

SmoothAmbler
11-23-2011, 11:27
Chuck,
Do you know if they try to sweat the barrels in some way to extract the last bit of alcohol when they dump? Or, do they leave that in order to add something to the Mellow Corn?

cowdery
11-25-2011, 13:10
Chuck,
Do you know if they try to sweat the barrels in some way to extract the last bit of alcohol when they dump? Or, do they leave that in order to add something to the Mellow Corn?

so far as I know, only Beam and Daniel's sweat.

Brisko
12-07-2011, 14:24
I got a fifth of this from the Party Source (thanks, free shipping) and the label gave me a chuckle:

"Distilled by Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. DSP-KY-354, Louisville, Kentucky

Bottled by Medley Company, Bardstown, KY. DSP-KY-31."

and, in small print:

"Not connected with any other distillery using the name Medley."

I understand the wheres and whys, but like I said, it's amusing that they refer the DSP that's not Heaven Hill as Heaven Hill, and the DSP that is(was) Heaven Hill, as Medley.

dohidied
12-07-2011, 15:25
I got a fifth of this from the Party Source (thanks, free shipping)

Me too! This stuff is great. Mellow is definitely the proper adjective.

cowdery
12-08-2011, 13:42
The DSP applies to more than the distillery. DSP-31 still exists in Bardstown to cover Heaven Hill's maturation, rectification, and bottling facility.

Brisko
12-08-2011, 13:51
I was more referring to the fact that it was distilled at B/F.

ethangsmith
12-08-2011, 15:32
The DSP applies to more than the distillery. DSP-31 still exists in Bardstown to cover Heaven Hill's maturation, rectification, and bottling facility.

When a company or location is referred to as a "Rectifier," what exactly does that involve?

p_elliott
12-10-2011, 01:08
When a company or location is referred to as a "Rectifier," what exactly does that involve?

A rectifier is someone that buys whiskey from someone else and bottles it under their own name.

cowdery
12-10-2011, 14:09
Traditionally, rectifiers rectified or "fixed" a whiskey's flaws by redistilling or filtering it. Today the term covers blending and any kind of compounding, such as the making of liqueurs. A rectifier is typically distinguished from a mere bottler for doing something to the spirit prior to bottling it.

ethangsmith
12-10-2011, 14:33
Interesting. I had always assumed it had something to do with re-distilling, but wasn't sure. I suppose with the modern day definition of the word, there are several "micro distillers" that would better be described as rectifiers.

White Dog
12-12-2011, 20:09
It's funny that HH is referred to as the last American distillery still making Straight Corn Whiskey, when in fact it's B-F that makes the damn thing.

And after all this time, could not the Bernheim plant could be making this??

ErichPryde
12-12-2011, 20:53
It's funny that HH is referred to as the last American distillery still making Straight Corn Whiskey, when in fact it's B-F that makes the damn thing.

And after all this time, could not the Bernheim plant could be making this??

Perhaps it will go the same route as Ritt, Soon to be bernheim distillate. but the 354 stuff sure is tasty.:cool:

cowdery
12-12-2011, 20:57
BF made some bourbon and all of the rye for HH for a time. I don't believe they ever made HH's corn. If you believe BF did make corn for HH, what is your basis for that belief?

Brisko
12-13-2011, 08:00
I got a fifth of this from the Party Source (thanks, free shipping) and the label gave me a chuckle:

"Distilled by Heaven Hill Distilleries, Inc. DSP-KY-354, Louisville, Kentucky

Bottled by Medley Company, Bardstown, KY. DSP-KY-31."

and, in small print:

"Not connected with any other distillery using the name Medley."

I understand the wheres and whys, but like I said, it's amusing that they refer the DSP that's not Heaven Hill as Heaven Hill, and the DSP that is(was) Heaven Hill, as Medley.

I'm at work, or I would take a picture of it.

White Dog
12-13-2011, 09:59
BF made some bourbon and all of the rye for HH for a time. I don't believe they ever made HH's corn. If you believe BF did make corn for HH, what is your basis for that belief?

My current release bottle of Mellow Corn BIB also states distilled D.S.P. 354, just like Brisko's.

White Dog
12-13-2011, 10:02
Perhaps it will go the same route as Ritt, Soon to be bernheim distillate. but the 354 stuff sure is tasty.:cool:

I agree, it sure the hell is tasty. B-F makes damn fine Rye and Corn. You'd think they'd expand with some labels of their own.:rolleyes:

cowdery
12-13-2011, 10:47
I stand corrected. The bottle I have is DSP-31 all the way.

Brisko
12-13-2011, 11:28
As good as Mellow Corn is, it was interesting to compare it to Platte Valley, which is the only aged corn whiskey that I can get locally (3 years old, 80 proof). The younger product actually has more going on, flavor wise. Too bad it's only 80 proof. Also, at least in the Twin Cities, Platte Valley is priced almost double what Mellow Corn goes for at TPS. Of course you're paying for the ceramic jug....

cowdery
12-13-2011, 13:22
And Platte Valley is HH/BF juice. HH never claimed it was the only company that made corn. The claim was that its corn, sold by it and others, was the only corn whiskey sold as corn whiskey until the micros came along. Other people made corn whiskey, but only for use in blends. HH made (or had BF make) corn, sold it under its own brands, and sold it to people like McCormick (Platte Valley) for their products.

After Glenmore acquired Medley, that became their only operating distillery, and they did make corn whiskey there. After UDV (now Diageo) bought Glenmore, they sold off a lot of brands including the corns, most of which went to Heaven Hill. That's when HH's reign as the only company making and selling corn whiskey began.

White Dog
12-13-2011, 18:52
I stand corrected. The bottle I have is DSP-31 all the way.

So you've got a bottle of "Old Heaven Hill" Mellow Corn?? It would be fascinating to hear a tasting comparison with the B-F make version.

cowdery
12-14-2011, 14:05
What I probably have is an old label placed on the DSP-354 stuff. The bottle isn't that old.

Brisko
12-14-2011, 14:13
Should we assume that they have been sourcing this since the fire, or is it more recent? Not that I really care, I guess. It is good stuff either way.

cowdery
12-14-2011, 19:50
If the pattern is the same as the rye, they've been sourcing it since the fire but probably brought it back in house, as they did the rye, about 2 1/2 years ago. I'm not sure if DSP-354 is making anything for them now, since they have sufficient capacity at Bernheim since the expansion.

tmckenzie
12-15-2011, 04:59
What I probably have is an old label placed on the DSP-354 stuff. The bottle isn't that old.

I have a bottle of the same, and comparing it to the bf juice there is a subtle difference. But close enough the average drinker would never catch it.