PDA

View Full Version : I'm hooked in Austin

gburger
01-13-2011, 20:00
http://www.burgerworks.com/Photography/A-bit-more/9168638_toV5z#1156147839_ZX4fd-A-LB
I have been a beer drinker for years, but last Memorial Day I took a trip to Tenn. to visit friends and took the Jack Daniels tour.
I had forgotten how much I like whiskey. So I bought some Jack. Finished it fairly quick, then started doing research on Bourbon. I bought a few books on the history of bourbon. I then started to buy a few bottles. Then I went crazy. I decided that if I was going to drink bourbon, I wanted the good stuff. I now have 20 different bottles of whiskey, almost all bourbon.
My most expensive was William Larue Weller, 2010, I could not find in in Texas so I had to order it online from the east coast.
I had to buy a home bar to hold them all.
I want to go to Kentucky this summer and do the Bourbon Trail and take the The Woodford Reserve Bourbon Academy.
So I am hooked. I just found a bar in Austin that specializes in bourbon. They have almost anything you would want. I plan on a visit to there soon also.
We have a new bourbon locally, Garrison Brothers, and it is pretty good.
I plan on going through their distillery next month.
Anyways, glad to be a part of the bourbon world.
Gregg
http://www.burgerworks.com/Photography/A-bit-more/9168638_toV5z#1156147839_ZX4fd-A-LB

dustyj
01-13-2011, 22:55
Welcome fellow Texan! Nice group of people here at SB. I was a "looker" for a long time before I joined. All I can say is read, read and read some more. Lot's to learn from these fine folks. I think I have a good collection and I owe a lot of it to the enthusiasts who are here. Welcome!!

NeoTexan
01-14-2011, 00:40
Welcome to the site.

Wife and I used to live in many locations in and around Austin during the 70's and 80's. One of my favorite towns.

When you come to KY drop a note and perhaps a few of us here can meet up with you for an evening or two. (We know the good spots)

wadewood
01-14-2011, 06:06
Gregg - welcome to SB.com. Lots of Texans on this board including a few in Austin. WLW (and the BT Antique collection) is available in Texas. It generally hits Texas a 4-5 weeks after it is released in KY. This year it appeared around start of Nov. It sells quickly. In generally, it is allocated to stores based on their Buffalo Trace/Sazerac purchases, so only large stores like Twins or Specs will get it. Sometimes, these stores don't put it on shelf - you have to ask and get to know salesperson and reserve.

We gathered a group of SBers and toured Garrison Brothers when he was first getting going. Dan Garrison is great guy and definitely worth going out to tour. Balcones is another whiskey being made in Texas - in Waco.

Neat
01-14-2011, 07:57
welcome fellow texan! wade is correct about the distribution of btac in texas. however, you will find some smallers stores that get a few bottles of the btac but as wade mentioned, they don't put it on the shelf and they usually reserve it for their frequent customers. enjoy!

unclebunk
01-14-2011, 08:13
I have been a beer drinker for years, but last Memorial Day I took a trip to Tenn. to visit friends and took the Jack Daniels tour.
I had forgotten how much I like whiskey. So I bought some Jack. Finished it fairly quick, then started doing research on Bourbon. I bought a few books on the history of bourbon. I then started to buy a few bottles. Then I went crazy. I decided that if I was going to drink bourbon, I wanted the good stuff. I now have 20 different bottles of whiskey, almost all bourbon...So I am hooked. Gregg

It's a slippery slope my friend. If you're married, do you have a pre-nuptial agreement? When the bunker starts doubling in size you can expect some friction. But what the hell, you only live once!:lol:

CorvallisCracker
01-14-2011, 11:05
Then I went crazy.

Yeah, we know all about that....we even have a name for it...

squire
01-16-2011, 00:26
Welcome aboard Gregg.

HBUSSELL
01-17-2011, 10:11
I understand that Trifecta on 3rd, in downtown Austin has 99 different Bourbons. I plan to visit next month and give it a try. Let me know if you have been there.

gburger
01-20-2011, 20:06
I plan on going next month on bourbon night, it is Tuesday Feb. 15th.
Let me know if you want to meet up their and compare some.
Gregg

Here is their menu.
BOURBON MENU

FLIGHTS

Choose from one of the carefully selected bourbon samplings, or create your own perfect tasting suite.

The Infield

Ancient Age, Early Times, Old Crow

Millionaire’s Row

Eagle Rare 17YR, Parker S. Heritage, George T. Stagg

Aristides

Eagle Rare 10YR, Elijah Craig 18YR Single Barrel,

Blanton 93

Dry Rye

Wild Turkey 80, Old Forester, Fighting Cock

Sweet Wheat

Maker’s Mark 90, Pappy Van Winkle 90 10YR, Weller 90

Behave Yourself

Baker’s 7YR 107, Basil Hayden 8YR, Bookers

Over the Years

Henry McKenna, Evan Williams 7YR, Elijah Craig 12YR

Oldies are Goodies

Old Charter 8YR, Old Crow, Old Grand Dad

Perfecta

Create your own tasting suite! Choose from over 99 bourbons!

BOURBONS

A H HIRSCH 20YR

A H HIRSCH 16YR

A H HIRSCH SMALL BATCH

ANCIENT AGE 80

BAKERS 7YR 107

BASIL HAYDEN S 8YR

BELLOWS 80

BENCHMARK

BLACK MAPLE HILL

BLANTON S KENTUCKY STRAIGHT 93

BOOKER NOE S

BUFFALO TRACE EXPERIMENTAL

BUFFALO TRACE

BULLEIT

DICKEL #12 WHITE LABELS 90

DICKEL #8 BLACK LABELS 80

EAGLE RARE 10 YR SINGLE BARRELS

EAGLE RARE 17YR

EARLY TIMES

ELIJAH CRAIG 18YR OLD SINGLE BARREL

ELJAH CRAIG 94 12YR

EVAN WILLIAMS 1783

EVAN WILLIAMS BLACK LABEL

EZRA BROOKS 101

EZRA BROOKS 90

FIGHTING COCK

FIREFLY SWEET TEA

FOUR ROSES SMALL BATCH

GEORGE T STAGG

HANCOCK S RESERVE

HUDSON VALLEY WHISKEY BABY

JEFFERSON 17YR PRESIDENTIAL

JEFFERSON S VERY SMALL BATCH

JIM BEAM BLACK

JIM BEAM 80 WHITE LABEL

JIM BEAM CHOICE

JIM BEAM RYE WHISKEY

KENTUCKY OLD RESERVE

KNOB CREEK

MAKERS MARK 46 94

MAKERS MARK 90

NOAH S MILL 15YR SMALL BATCH

OLD BARDSTOWN 101

OLD BARDSTOWN 86

OLD BARDSTOWN 90

OLD CHARTER 101

OLD CHARTER 8YR

OLD CROW

OLD FORESTER 100 SIGNATURES

OLD FORESTER

OLD GRAND DAD

OLD GRANDAD 114

OLD WHISKEY RIVER 6YR

PAPPY VAN WINKLE 10YR 107

PAPPY VAN WINKLE 10YR 90

PAPPY VAN WINKLE 12YR SPEC RSV

PAPPY VAN WINKLE 15YR 107

PARKER S HERITAGE

PURE KENTUCKY XO SMALL BATCH 107

REBEL RESERVE

REBEL YELL 80

RED STAG BLACK CHERRY FLAVORED

RIDGEMONT RESERVE 1792 8YR

ROCK HILL SINGLE BARREL

ROWAN S CREEK 12YR SMALL BATCH 6

SAM HOUSTON 10 YR

TOM SIMS 6YR

VAN WINKLE 23YR

VINTAGE17YR

WATHENS SINGLE BARREL

WELLER 12YR

WELLER 107

WELLER 90

WILD TURKEY 101

WILD TURKEY 80

WILD TURKEY KENTUCKY SPIRIT

WILD TURKEY RARE BREED

WILD TURKEY RUSSELL RESERVE RYE

WILLETT FAMILY RESERVE

WOODFORD RESERVE

WOODFORD RESERVE MAST COLLECTION

WOODFORD RESERVE VIP

…and many more!

wadewood
01-20-2011, 22:28
I willing to bet they don't have 15 YO Noah's Mills or 12 YO Rowan's Creek. They probable have the NAS of these.

fishnbowljoe
02-02-2011, 20:16
Welcome to SB Gregg. Looks like you're a man with a plan. :cool: Have fun with it. We have a lot of members down your way. You never know when someone might have a get together. :grin: Enjoy. Joe