PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions

farmboy238
01-21-2011, 18:37
I just got a bottle of Pappy 15 for my birthday. This "Mouth full of South" is blowing me away! The notes of caramel, brown sugar and maple are unreal. I am "hooked". As a fairly new (the finer bourbons) Bourbon drinker that now has a benchmark for future bottles to come, what recommendations could you give me for a less expense "go to " that shows some of the same notes as my beloved Pappy? If Pappy is indicative of wheated bourbons then I think this is where I need to stay (for now). Thank you in advance for your insights and advice.

sailor22
01-21-2011, 18:50
Van Winkle 10yr 107 proof and Van Winkle 10yr 90 proof are the obvious choices for similar but less expensive.

kickert
01-21-2011, 19:07
Weller 12 will get you in the ball park for around $25 (varies). It doesn't have the proof of the Pappy 15 (if you want that go ORVW 10/107) but it has similar thick rich flavors.

Special Reserve
01-22-2011, 04:31
1st welcome to SB.

2nd Try Old Weller Antique 107 ($25) and Van Winkle Special Reserve lot B at 90 proof and ca $55 are both wonderful drinks, but you started out at the top of the wheated bourbon world.

Will

farmboy238
01-22-2011, 05:34
Thanks everyone for your replies. So the Van Winkle 10/107 is the same as The Old Rip Van Winkle (ORVW)10/107? It sounds like all of these are from the Buffalo Trace or Weller family. Are all of these styles indicative of the BT product i.e., wheated ?

Special reserve - I still have the Pappy 20 and 23 to go but at this stage of my development I am afraid that the nuances would be lost on my palate. Those are my stars to shoot for but I got to get me some eddicashun first! The only way I know to do that is to drink some Bourbon (oh, damn!) so I am off to look at some Old Weller and Rip today.

unclebunk
01-22-2011, 08:25
Thanks everyone for your replies. So the Van Winkle 10/107 is the same as The Old Rip Van Winkle (ORVW)10/107? It sounds like all of these are from the Buffalo Trace or Weller family. Are all of these styles indicative of the BT product i.e., wheated ?

Special reserve - I still have the Pappy 20 and 23 to go but at this stage of my development I am afraid that the nuances would be lost on my palate. Those are my stars to shoot for but I got to get me some eddicashun first! The only way I know to do that is to drink some Bourbon (oh, damn!) so I am off to look at some Old Weller and Rip today.

Welcome to SB and nice first post. Yes, Van Winkle 10/107 and ORVW 10/107 are one and the same. And not all of the BT products are wheaters including their flagship product. The Weller 12 and Weller Antique are excellent bourbons and should definitely be checked out. Finally, don't expect Pappy 20 and 23 to necessarily be better than Pappy 15. They're just different. I personally would have to agree with Special Reserve that you started out at the top of the wheater world but try them all and decide for yourself. Most of all, have fun!

StraightBoston
01-23-2011, 07:49
+1 for Old Weller Antique 7/107 as the best value within the wheater realm (but only because ORVW 10/90 is the sole version available around these parts.)

I also second Special Reserve on the Lot B recommendation as a smoother variation of the Pappy 15 idea.

Staying with wheaters (but moving away from Weller/VW) you might also want to try the new(ish) Makers 46 -- I find it to be more complex than standard red wax Makers Mark.

Finally, although BT produces the Weller and Van Winkle bourbons, all of their other whiskies are rye-recipe from two different mashbills.