PDA

View Full Version : How'd I do?

farmboy238
01-25-2011, 14:22
I went to my liquor store with the intent of buying a Weller 12, OWA or RVW 107. I found the RVW but I didn't like the price, $37.00. What I did find was that my store store purchased a barrel of EWSB 2000 for a private label bottling and he only has about 15 botttles left, the price was $23.99. I haven't cracked it yet but I am geeting close to that point. So, how did I do?

SBOmarc
01-25-2011, 14:36
I went to my liquor store with the intent of buying a Weller 12, OWA or RVW 107. I found the RVW but I didn't like the price, $37.00. What I did find was that my store store purchased a barrel of EWSB 2000 for a private label bottling and he only has about 15 botttles left, the price was $23.99. I haven't cracked it yet but I am geeting close to that point. So, how did I do?

Drink it, and you will have your answer. ( you did fine)

wadewood
01-25-2011, 14:38
ditto - drink it and then tell us how you did. You may well love EWSB 2000.

I would say that you went into the store with intent to purchase a wheated bourbon and that is not what you left with.

Medicfrost
01-25-2011, 15:47
Pricewise, you did okay, that's around what it typically goes for, so you weren't robbed. I'm a big drinker of EWSB, it tastes good (barrel dependant) and is inexpensive for a premium. I've gone through about a dozen bottles of 2000 in 2010, and enjoyed them all. As long as you like it, you did great. If you don't like it, send it to me, and I'll will give it a proper disposal.

farmboy238
01-25-2011, 16:20
I cracked it and it's OK, not great, but OK. To Sum it up in a short paragraph ..... I get light vanilla, oak and brown sugar on the nose and it seemed to take forever to open up. I think it had to breathe for 10 minutes until it developed a nose that i could enjoy and identify. it was sweet on the lips with a good caramel note and pretty oaky I like the way it gets spicy on the mid range of my palate. It finished with a little bit of eucolyptus on the back of my tongue. Overall an OK bourbon, not something that I will go looking for but I will drink it until I find better (for me).
My liquor store had a great stash he keeeps in his office and off of the shelves a William Larue Weller, Pappy 15 family reserve, a couple Pappy 20's, a Pappy 23 and a bunch of Labrott and Woodford.
Wadewood - would you consider the EWSB to be a (ryed) bourbon and if so is this indicative of ryed bourbons in general?

wadewood
01-25-2011, 16:52
Wadewood - would you consider the EWSB to be a (ryed) bourbon and if so is this indicative of ryed bourbons in general?
If they are not wheaters, then by default they are ryed bourbons. I don't know the % of rye in EWSB, but do think it is pretty typical of Heaven Hill. Nice tasting notes and what you also described is typical in HH profile, but that of other ryed bourbons.

fishnbowljoe
01-25-2011, 17:50
Welcome Farmboy. You did just fine. Bourbon is kinda like the old saying, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." What's good to one person, may not be as good to the next one. That's what you have to figure out. Warning! It may take a while till you figure out where your taste preferences lie. It took me about 2-2 1/2 years. :crazy: Either way, the ride is fun. :grin: Enjoy! Joe

StraightBoston
01-26-2011, 13:42
Waaiiit a minute... first taste of HH whiskey and he comes up with "eucalyptus" in the tasting notes?

You'll do just fine here (and that was a good price for a good upper-middle-shelfer.)

You might want to try a Jim Beam Black or Buffalo Trace (the namesake bottle) as other distiller's examples of a similar rye-based mashbill at about the same price point.