PDA

View Full Version : Craft Beer Guy turning into Bourbon Guy

Cassius King
01-31-2011, 12:37
I'm a longtime craft beer guy. Have an extensive cellar of all things micro and Belgian. I'm beginning to venture into the Bourbon realm. I'm acquiring a taste and developing an appreciation and joy in bourbon. Bourbon Barrel aged beers have always been a favorite of mine, it was only a matter of time before I went straight to the source.

I've sampled some bourbons before, Blanton, Woodford, Makers, etc. I tried some Eagle Rare 10yr yesterday that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Recently bought a mini of the Four Roses Single Barrel, a Pappy Van Winkle 20yr. I pre-ordered a Pappy Van Winkle 15yr and have a bottle of Eagle Rare 17yr on hold at my local for me to pickup.

Looking forward to starting this journey and enjoying the ride along the way.

Cheers!
Steve

OscarV
01-31-2011, 12:57
Welcome aboard Steve I see you are in Cincy, lucky you just a short jump over the river to The Holy Land.
Super close to Cork 'N Bottle in Covington and The Party Source in Bellevue.
Hey is that Skydog Allman on your avatar pic?

Cassius King
01-31-2011, 13:18
Yes it is Skydog Allman, thanks for noticing. Listening to Duane play the slide and having a nice drink in my hand is my idea of a good time.

I work downtown so I can jump across the river to Party Source and the Cork 'n Bottle too easily. I venture down this hobby's slippery slope with caution, knowing what I'm surrounded by.

SBOmarc
01-31-2011, 13:50
Welcome Steve. I will also add my appreceiation for the avatar.

OscarV
01-31-2011, 14:05
Skydog died way way way to soon.
The Allman Brothers' "Live At The Fillmore" is one of the best recordings ever.
Jazz like, to sweet.
I bought that thing five times, twice on 33 1/3 vinyl (wore 'em out), once on 8 Track tape, once on Cassette Tape and finally on CD.

Cassius King
01-31-2011, 14:49
Jazz like, to sweet.
I bought that thing five times, twice on 33 1/3 vinyl (wore 'em out), once on 8 Track tape, once on Cassette Tape and finally on CD.

Way too soon. Unfortunately it was a few years before I was born and there's not a whole lot of video and high quality recordings available.
Enjoy Derek Trucks though, but it's just not the same.

SBOmarc
01-31-2011, 15:00
Jazz like, to sweet.

You are old...I think I did the same Oscar!

Cassius King
01-31-2011, 18:45
Be prepared, because I'll switch my avatar up with Dickey Betts as well. :toast:

ebo
01-31-2011, 19:17
Be prepared, because I'll switch my avatar up with Dickey Betts as well. :toast:
Warren Haynes is a hell of a player, as well.

Welcome to the spot for all things whisk(e)y.

Cassius King
01-31-2011, 20:27
Warren Haynes is a hell of a player, as well.

Welcome to the spot for all things whisk(e)y.
Agreed 100%. Just watched a youtube video of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks doing a acoustic version of Old Friends. :bowdown::bowdown:

Cheers! I'm very happy to be here!

imbibehour
02-01-2011, 07:51
Great to see ya here, I am a big craft drinker and BA participant also.

Lots of great stuff to enjoy here, use the acronym list that's provided it will help a lot.

Cheers!

ggilbertva
02-01-2011, 08:02
I'm a longtime craft beer guy. Have an extensive cellar of all things micro and Belgian. I'm beginning to venture into the Bourbon realm. I'm acquiring a taste and developing an appreciation and joy in bourbon. Bourbon Barrel aged beers have always been a favorite of mine, it was only a matter of time before I went straight to the source.

I've sampled some bourbons before, Blanton, Woodford, Makers, etc. I tried some Eagle Rare 10yr yesterday that I thoroughly enjoyed.
Recently bought a mini of the Four Roses Single Barrel, a Pappy Van Winkle 20yr. I pre-ordered a Pappy Van Winkle 15yr and have a bottle of Eagle Rare 17yr on hold at my local for me to pickup.

Looking forward to starting this journey and enjoying the ride along the way.

Cheers!
Steve

Steve - I did the opposite. I've been into bourbon for some time but just recently began indulging in craft / import beers.

OscarV
02-01-2011, 13:15

His "Highway Call" was a great album.

T Comp
02-01-2011, 14:09
Jazz like, to sweet.

You are old...I think I did the same Oscar!

Can't let it go without saying me three! Welcome Cassius.

Cassius King
02-02-2011, 13:02
I'm really taking to this new love of mine. Time to ebay a few bottles of beer to get the ole bunker going!

jcg9779
02-02-2011, 18:09
Lots of great stuff to enjoy here, use the acronym list that's provided it will help a lot.

Out of curiosity, where is the acronym list? I'm sure it's probably obvious, but this Parker Heritage that I'm drinking might be dulling my senses a tad!

Thanks,

Jack

imbibehour
02-02-2011, 18:28
Out of curiosity, where is the acronym list? I'm sure it's probably obvious, but this Parker Heritage that I'm drinking might be dulling my senses a tad!

Thanks,

Jack

No problem... trust me I understand the feeling.

Many seasoned members use acronyms and abbreviations in conversations, here is what they are talking about when you see something like this:

"I was comparing FRSB to EWSB and found many differences...."

This sticky helps.
http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/announcement.php?f=43&a=8

jcg9779
02-02-2011, 18:32
Thanks imbibehour! I know most of them but every now and then an acronym will pop up that I can't make heads or tails of...this will definitely help!

Jack

fishnbowljoe
02-02-2011, 18:53
Welcome to SB Steve. Hope you enjoy it here. Cheers! Joe

squire
02-07-2011, 17:00
Hey Steve, welcome aboard.

Cassius King
02-11-2011, 12:44
Thanks for all the friendly welcomes. Really like the layout and crowd here. Enjoyed myself a pour of Four Roses Single Barrel the other night. Another solid offering.
Need to hit the store for some more new stuff to try.

tehbeardman
02-12-2011, 14:06
Welcome fellow (board)newbie. I am highly jealous of your location so close to the holy land.

yourchoice
02-12-2011, 14:51
Welcome to SB. I'm also a Craft beer fan. Enjoying a growler of Flying Fish Exit 13 Chocolate Stout ATM as a matter of fact. :)

Beer&Bourbon
02-13-2011, 11:28
How was the Flying Fish Chocolate Stout? I've got a bottle in the fridge someone sent me that I haven't opened yet.

imbibehour
02-13-2011, 14:50
How was the Flying Fish Chocolate Stout? I've got a bottle in the fridge someone sent me that I haven't opened yet.

I've had it actually it was alright.

Cassius King
02-22-2011, 16:44
I think I've actually burnt myself out on beer, and the "new" crowd over at BA isn't helping the cause. This is a much more civil, mature crowd here. It's shaping up to be a golf and bourbon spring.

squire
02-22-2011, 16:57
Mature, yeah, a few graybeards around here.

BradleyC
02-22-2011, 21:07
Look for the youtube video of Derek playing with Herbie Hancock.......SICK I tell you. I agree with your comment on the BA atmosphere. I used to do a lot of beer trading, but its gotten so ridiculous. Its all based on the whale (ebay) value of things. Fortunately, I live in CO and we have enough good normal production brews to satisfy my tastes (and most of those are widely distributed to the rest of us).

CorvallisCracker
02-23-2011, 09:58
Mature, yeah, a few graybeards around here.

Not me. I use Just For Men.

squire
02-23-2011, 10:09
I stay clean shaven.

Inthewater
02-24-2011, 08:22
Not me. I use Just For Men.

Your beard is weird.

:lol:

CorvallisCracker
02-24-2011, 09:42
Your beard is weird.

:lol:

The local bird population would disagree with you. In the spring I put out saved trimmings, which they use for lining nests.

The chicks love my beard. :slappin: