PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from NC

Marecha
02-02-2011, 11:43
Hello everyone,

I was recently introduced to bourbon by my doctor. That's right, strictly "for medicinal purposes." :grin:

Several months back during my annual physical my physician asked me about my drinking habits and I told him that I usually have a glass of wine with dinner, but I have lately been having a beer instead. He asked me what kind of beer and I told him that I prefer pale ales or red lagers. He replied that he also likes "hoppy" beers, but that he had started drinking bourbon. I told him I knew nothing about bourbon or whiskey or scotch and never had much of a taste for them. Too smoky for my likes.

He then proceeded to tell me about bourbon and Tennessee whiskey and why they were much better than scotch - smoother and less smoky. He even went as far as to write me out some recommendation on a prescription pad which I'm hoping you will be able to see here:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc494/Marechabazen/BourbonPrescription.jpg

So I went out and bought a bottle of Woodford Reserve to drink on the rocks and Crown Royal to drink with ginger ale. After finding this forum, I purchased a bottle of Rebel Yell and a bottle of Buffalo Trace which I found on a business trip in Florida. Both are pretty good but BT is definitely better. I'm also looking forward to trying some other recommendations (maybe Jim Beam Black, AAA or Old Forester).

I am developing a real taste for bourbon but I still can't drink it neat. I usually have an ounce or two at night on the rocks. I also enjoy with ginger ale but I think it's probably a waste of money to use expensive bourbon to mix.

Kind regards

Marine Dad
02-02-2011, 11:59
Welcome. Oh yeah, I need the name of your doctor :grin:

CorvallisCracker
02-02-2011, 12:09
[My doctor] even went as far as to write me out some recommendation on a prescription pad which I'm hoping you will be able to see here:

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc494/Marechabazen/BourbonPrescription.jpg

That is a great prescription. Although I don't agree with the brands, they are certainly better than the generic equivalent. :lol:

fishnbowljoe
02-02-2011, 18:50
Welcome to SB Marecha. It appears you are off to a good start, and headed in the right direction. There's lots of info here. All you have to do is search a bit in some of the old threads. If all else fails, start asking questions. :grin: Cheers! Joe

squire
02-07-2011, 15:41
Welcome aboard Marecha. There is no rule that you have to drink your whisky neat, I don't except for tasting notes, and some of the guys who make the stuff are on record as drinking their top selections mixed.