PDA

View Full Version : Bulleit...Rye?

libertybar
02-11-2011, 15:54
Well. It looks like Bulleit is getting into the rye business with a tasty rye whiskey. This is a 95% rye mashbill (so I'm told) and is at 90proof.

And, it's tasty. It's what you'd expect from a rye, not as sharp/spicy as the Whistle Pig, a bit more rounded than Rittenhouse, and a more full and a touch more sweet than Templeton - each a rye that I really like in this class.

The measure for rye for me really is the Pappy 13yr or the Michter's 25yr (which is close to impossible to get anymore), so this will be a good rye at that price, for sure.

https://s-hphotos-ash1.fbcdn.net/180681_10150135987046983_566516982_7778797_7192053 _n.jpg

DeanSheen
02-11-2011, 16:01
Nice score.

Now we wait.

OscarV
02-11-2011, 16:06
Is this a "specialty" bottle?
Is it disributed nationality?
It does sound good.

proof and age
02-11-2011, 16:29
Can anyone decipher that code? Wonder what the L stands for??

cowdery
02-11-2011, 18:56

It might be a serial number for the sample to discourage resale on eBay.

No surprise it tastes like Templeton. Best evidence we have says it's the same stuff from the same source, LDI.

I wonder which one of Tommy's ancestors this recipe came from? :)

Brisko
02-11-2011, 20:11

Lawrenceburg, maybe?

squire
02-13-2011, 18:16
Rip van Winkle 13 yr rye and this new offering from Bullet is a 'good choice at that price'? I think not. Van Winkle has garnered accolades for generations now and this more recent stuff will have to earn it's own spurs.

Stones
02-14-2011, 00:15
Here's the trademark application for it: here (http://www.trademarkia.com/bulleit-95-rye-85044785.html)
Would the 95 in the trademark application pertain to the proof?

cowdery
02-14-2011, 00:28
For the Trademark Office it's just a name. While 'proof' is a good guess, the sample Liberty has is 90 proof and who would have guessed what Maker's 46 meant?

kickert
02-14-2011, 07:36
You can look up any label approved by the TTB in their COLA process (Certification of Label Approval). https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/publicSearchColasBasic.do (Note: You have to click on the printable version to see the actual labels)

Here is the label for the Bulleit 95.

https://www.ttbonline.gov/colasonline/viewColaDetails.do?action=publicFormDisplay&ttbid=10281001000047

The 95 comes from the fact that it is 95% rye. The label lists it as a 90 proof spirit, just like the sample we saw before. Also of note is the fact that the spirit is listed as being distilled by LDI. Looks like they are releasing it as a 750 and 1L.

The COLA process is the best way to get "inside" information on what new might be coming out. Of course a lot of places may get label approval, but then not plan on releasing that product anytime soon (or at all).

roostercogburn
02-14-2011, 09:15
Thanks for the links, guys. Very interesting read (and resources I was unaware of). Cool to see this angle of whiskey before it reaches the shelves.

cowdery
02-15-2011, 10:41
What's curious about the COLA is that while it says "rye whiskey" the label says "straight 95% rye mash whiskey," which could mean used cooperage if "rye mash whiskey" is deemed to mean the same thing as "Whisky distilled from rye mash."

Also, fans of transparency will be glad to see Diageo has put the corporate name on the label in addition to the "Bulleit Distilling Company" DBA.

dbk
02-15-2011, 11:39
What's curious about the COLA is that while it says "rye whiskey" the label says "straight 95% rye mash whiskey," which could mean used cooperage if "rye mash whiskey" is deemed to mean the same thing as "Whisky distilled from rye mash."

The label also states "Straight American Rye Whiskey" and "This is a true American Rye Whiskey", which would have to mean new barrels, wouldn't it?

cowdery
02-15-2011, 12:02
The label also states "Straight American Rye Whiskey" and "This is a true American Rye Whiskey", which would have to mean new barrels, wouldn't it?

That's what's so curious. The line with the word "mash" in it appears to be the label's "official" type statement.

Inquiring minds want to know.

IowaJeff
02-17-2011, 14:49
Here's a link to a Men's Journal article about Dave Pickerell and Rye. Bulleit is on the slideshow of 'recommended ryes' and there is a pic of the bottle.

http://www.mensjournal.com/rescuing-rye

White Dog
02-18-2011, 13:31
I had it at the Distill America event in Madison last night. It was just okay. The Diageo rep said it was four years old.

The rep also claimed that Bulleit Bourbon was never the Four Roses high rye recipe. He swore it was a special Bulleit family recipe. I just smiled and backed away. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OscarV
02-18-2011, 13:47

Also, fans of transparency will be glad to see Diageo has put the corporate name on the label in addition to the "Bulleit Distilling Company" DBA.

That's what's so curious. The line with the word "mash" in it appears to be the label's "official" type statement.

OK, speculate away, what is this stuff?
When does it hit the shelves?
Pic below.

birdman1099
02-18-2011, 14:35
another 95% rye whiskey at 4 yrs old..... LDI has been very busy lately....:skep:

barturtle
02-18-2011, 14:45

Since "Rye Mash Whisky" cannot be straight (due to its use of used cooperage), I think that they used it as a way to avoid consumers thinking "95% rye whiskey" means it's a blended whisky.

Gillman
02-18-2011, 14:51
I think it is a straight rye, therefore at least 2 years old, but apparently four, made from a mash which is 95% rye; that is how I read the label. The wording is a little unusual, but that is what is meant IMO.

Gary

cowdery
02-18-2011, 16:02
I have heard from people inside the industry who are scratching their heads about this too. They also suspect used barrels were involved.

On the one hand, the rules seem unambiguous. "Straight" precludes used cooperage (except for corn whiskey). However, there is ample evidence about that the TTB is having trouble interpreting its own rules.

proof and age
02-18-2011, 17:31
[quote=cowdery;234324]What's curious about the COLA is that while it says "rye whiskey" the label says "straight 95% rye mash whiskey," which could mean used cooperage if "rye mash whiskey" is deemed to mean the same thing as "Whisky distilled from rye mash."

This^^^^
There has been an influx (or an onslaught) of new label applications, it looks like there may indeed be some confusion as to what the US regs stipulate. I read this label as Mr. Cowdery, this does not appear to be a straight whiskey. It also looks like the words were carefully chosen to skate the edge, which is disappointing.

kickert
02-18-2011, 17:44
I think you all are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I see no reason to believe this is not a straight rye whiskey.

The TTB has been lax on its standards, but in general, they have erred towards the side of truth in advertising. In other words, as long as you are being honest in describing what's in the bottle, they are letting some specific classification regulations slide. All the expressions we get bent out of shape on (i.e. Red Stagg) may not fall within the official regs, but what is written on the bottle accurately describes it. I have yet to see an example where a product outside the official regs is approved but deceptive about its production/ingredients/etc.

Just my thoughts... they are worth what you paid for them.

cowdery
02-18-2011, 22:36
You're giving TTB a little too much credit. I'm not talking about tough calls, I'm talking about mistakes. I can name several but I won't because, ultimately, these determinations are TTB's job, not mine, but I know of several labels that I'm pretty sure are wrong, not because the producers played fast and loose and tried to slip something past, but because TTB just plain got it wrong. In this case, if there is any used cooperage involved the word "straight" should not be there, but based on things I've seen I'm not willing to take that as proof that there is no used cooperage involved. This is very different from Red Stag, where everything in fact complied with the law, just not with what some people think the law should be.

Gillman
02-19-2011, 04:48
On the sample bottle shown though, it reads "rye whiskey", not rye mash whiskey or whiskey from rye mash. This normally means whiskey aged in new charred barrels. Taken with the word straight, and unless an out and out error has been made somewhere, I can't see how this product can't likely be LDI straight rye at least 4 years old.

I think the word mash is being used for its marketing effect, not in any technical sense. It's like mash in "sour mash", a term used, often loosely, by many consumers. This term has or is perceived (I think again) to have marketing resonance.

I think the producer must be looking for an innovative way to describe the product, to give it some additional marketing appeal.

Gary

kickert
02-19-2011, 06:52
I am not talking about "tough calls" either. I am talking about cases (and I know of several) where the TTB allowed a product to be categorized a certain way full well knowing it was outside the specs for that category. BUT... in all the cases I know of, whatever it was that would have disqualified it from that category has been clearly marked on the bottle. There may be cases out there where a product is outside the technical specs and does not disclose those things on the bottle, but I don't know of any

In general, it seems the TTB is allowing divergence from the technical specs in favor of a "truth in advertising" approach. Let me be clear, I am not saying this is right or wrong, I am just commenting on a trend I am seeing. As a producer, I appreciate a bit more flexibility (and accountability to keep us all honest), as a consumer I prefer strict adherence to the regs.

To keep us on topic, with what I am seeing here from Bulleit, if this indeed did use used cooperage, it would represent a new low for the TTB. It wouldn't surprise me if the TTB allowed Bulleit to call a product a "straight rye whiskey aged in mixed of new and used barrels" (which we all know can't technically exist), but allowing that deviation and not being clear about it seems beyond them... but again, there is a good chance I am giving the TTB too much credit.

cowdery
02-19-2011, 09:37
Gary and Ben, you are both most likely right, I've just become even more skeptical than usual because of some things I've seen TTB do.

smokinjoe
02-24-2011, 15:03
I picked up a bottle of this today. It is, indeed, very youthful and grassy.

TomFischer
02-25-2011, 11:03
I spoke with Tom Bulleit this morning and learned more info on what is also being called by some "Bulleit 95 Rye (http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2011/02/25/bulleit-rye-whiskey/) " It will hit the shelves nationally on March 1, 2011 for approximately $27.99 750 ml bottle. It is "aged and matured between 4 and 7 years."

Full story on this link - New Bulleit Rye (http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2011/02/25/bulleit-rye-whiskey/), including a photo and a "Bulleit Perfect Manhattan"..I think I'll make one now...Cheers!

kickert
02-25-2011, 12:03
I spoke with Tom Bulleit this morning and learned more info on what is also being called by some "Bulleit 95 Rye" ... It is "aged and matured between 4 and 7 years."

Wow... thanks for the innovative insights... how would we have ever figured this out if you hadn't posted a link to your blog?

This is a 95% rye mashbill (so I'm told) and is at 90proof.

The 95 comes from the fact that it is 95% rye.

another 95% rye whiskey at 4 yrs old..... :skep:

More information on Tom Fischer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0) and his bourbon blog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0) can be found here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0).

CorvallisCracker
02-25-2011, 12:14
It is "aged and matured between 4 and 7 years."

Cable company: "Will someone be home between 8 am and 5 pm?"

More information on Tom Fischer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0) and his bourbon blog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0) can be found here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0).

Thanks for the link, Ben.

The blonde on the left appears to have painted-on pants.

:woohoo: :thankyousign:

kickert
02-25-2011, 12:24
t is "aged and matured between 4 and 7 years."

Cable company: "Will someone be home between 8 am and 5 pm?"

I am just impressed that they aged it AND matured it. So many big companies skimp on the second part. :lol:

callmeox
02-25-2011, 13:21
We all underatand that age and maturity are different beasts.

craigthom
02-25-2011, 14:02
According to LDI's Web site their only regular rye is 95% rye and 5% malted barley, so I think it's safe to assume that's where they are getting their juice.

The question, then, is if have arranged to do custom aging with LDI (which I think they are perfectly happy to do), or if they are just selecting barrels and having it bottled. Does it make sense to have it transfered to used cooperage for further aging?

Maybe this is why Templeton is having problems keeping up with demand. I assume Diageo is buying in much higher volume.

I need to find out in LDI does tours. I left Ghent, Kentucky, around one this afternoon. I could have run up there.

CaptainQ
02-25-2011, 14:40
Wow... thanks for the innovative insights... how would we have ever figured this out if you hadn't posted a link to your blog?

Ben, you owe me a new keyboard!:slappin: :slappin:

kickert
02-25-2011, 15:11
Ben, you owe me a new keyboard!:slappin: :slappin:

So was it the bourbon spewed out the nose onto sensitive electronics, or, as your smiley suggests, the pounding of your fists in hysteria?

CorvallisCracker
02-25-2011, 15:17
I love this place on Fridays.

callmeox
02-25-2011, 15:21
According to LDI's Web site their only regular rye is 95% rye and 5% malted barley, so I think it's safe to assume that's where they are getting their juice.

The label in the COLA entry for the product says Lawrenceburg, IN so this has been established.

jburlowski
02-26-2011, 05:01
We all underatand that age and maturity are different beasts.

See also the typical eighteen year old human.

biskuit
03-02-2011, 12:37
Ah, finally found the Bulleit Rye thread. Picked a bottle up last week, interesting stuff. It doesn't strike me as that similar to the Templeton rye, but who knows. This makes for a nice sipper, but I'm really surprised at the lack of typical rye character given the 95% rye mash on this. Very curious to hear others' opinion.

More thoughts in a side by side comparison w Rittenhouse BIB and Russell's Reserve 6yo - http://www.thirstysouth.com/2011/03/01/three-fine-ryes/ - and Bourbonblog posted their tasting note too - http://www.bourbonblog.com/blog/2011/03/01/bulleit-rye-whiskey-review/

cowdery
03-02-2011, 12:41
It appears that Diageo is boycotting me WRT Bulleit Rye. The Shanken Combine (http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show?id=15853) is all over it but I can't get my calls returned.

We also have a first-time poster who is all over it too. Hummmm. New social media strategy from Diageo, perhaps?

I don't blame Diageo for boycotting me because they don't want to talk about what I want to talk about, which is their source for this whiskey and their relationship to Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana (LDI), the Angostura-owned distillery that makes and bottles this rye on Diageo's behalf. Lawrenceburg, Indiana is clearly identified on the label but Mr. Bettridge missed that in his bylined retyped press release. LDI returned my call, they referred me to my regular Diageo contact who I had reached out to already, and who usually is great but suddenly doesn't know who I am. (Or maybe she's on vacation.)

And maybe I'll also ask why they're still saying Bulleit Bourbon is made at Four Roses even though the owners of Four Roses say, no, it's not. When Diageo sold Four Roses the deal included a contract to supply Diageo with whiskey but that was more than ten years ago and the amount Four Roses is obliged to supply has decreased each year. Eventually it goes away.

The amount Four Roses is supplying now is way below the amount Bulleit is selling, so some of it has to be coming from elsewhere. The street says it's coming from Brown-Forman, Jim Beam and Tom Moore.

biskuit
03-02-2011, 12:51
We also have a first-time poster who is all over it too. Hummmm. New social media strategy from Diageo, perhaps?

You talkin to me? ; ) (maybe not), but since I just posted my first post, and it was about Bulleit rye, I can assure you I have no relation to Diageo (and my thoughts on the Bulleit are not all that positive since I think the Rittenhouse BIB is a far superior cocktail rye at a lot less $)

Cheers!

cowdery
03-02-2011, 12:53
I appreciate and respect your denial. Welcome aboard.

I haven't tasted it yet (see above) but I suspect it tastes more like Redemption Rye than Templeton, all of which are LDI but the Templeton I've tasted has always been fully aged while the Redemption is young and grassy. Not unpleasant, and excellent in cocktails, but clearly very young.

And I share your affection for Rittenhouse, truly the standard in bang for the buck in straight ryes today.

White Dog
03-03-2011, 07:15
It appears that Diageo is boycotting me WRT Bulleit Rye. The Shanken Combine (http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show?id=15853) is all over it but I can't get my calls returned.

I don't blame Diageo for boycotting me because they don't want to talk about what I want to talk about, which is their source for this whiskey and their relationship to Lawrenceburg Distillers Indiana (LDI), the Angostura-owned distillery that makes and bottles this rye on Diageo's behalf. Lawrenceburg, Indiana is clearly identified on the label but Mr. Bettridge missed that in his bylined retyped press release. LDI returned my call, they referred me to my regular Diageo contact who I had reached out to already, and who usually is great but suddenly doesn't know who I am. (Or maybe she's on vacation.)

And maybe I'll also ask why they're still saying Bulleit Bourbon is made at Four Roses even though the owners of Four Roses say, no, it's not. When Diageo sold Four Roses the deal included a contract to supply Diageo with whiskey but that was more than ten years ago and the amount Four Roses is obliged to supply has decreased each year. Eventually it goes away.

The amount Four Roses is supplying now is way below the amount Bulleit is selling, so some of it has to be coming from elsewhere. The street says it's coming from Brown-Forman, Jim Beam and Tom Moore.

Not trying to high-jack the thread, but that Bettridge "article" was pathetic. I would not define that as true journalism, but that's the trend these days.

People may tell me to sit down, but I was really sad to hear that Hansell got in bed with Shanken. The Bettridge piece is typical of what passes as "reporting" at the Wine Spectator, as his pieces appear there as well as Cigar Aficionado. I would hate to see that happen at Malt Advocate.

I've heard Hansell defend the Shanken deal in the past, so no need to go there, but I would really love to hear what he thinks of Bettridge's poorly reported piece.

cowdery
03-03-2011, 16:45
There is nothing wrong with reprinting press releases in most cases, or of slightly rewriting a press release to make it conform to your outlet's style and standards. The only thing wrong with the piece in question is that it has a byline on it, and if you're a writer, why would you want your byline on something like that? That sort of thing really shouldn't be bylined because a byline suggests it was reported and the writer is writing from actual knowledge.

This is Cigar Aficionado, not Malt Advocate, and MA handles this sort of thing appropriately. If Cigar Aficionado's distilled spirits coverage isn't very credible, well, that's why they needed Malt Advocate.

And, yeah, I'm miffed because Diageo is dissing me.

JohnHansell
03-04-2011, 04:32
Chuck, don't take it personally. I don't think they are boycotting you, and it doesn't seem fair to Diageo that you jump to such conclusions.

I found out it was finally being released by reading the CA blog post by Jack. We never got the press release--or a review sample--until we contacted Jack and got the PR company contact info. I don't know who was on the Bulleit Rye press distribution list, but you and I weren't.

If you want the contact info, PM me and I'll get you the info. Once I did contact them, they were very responsive and sent us both the press release and a sample.

Yes, it appears that Jack just mostly put up highlights of the press releaese. Not sure why he did that, but his writing is usually excellent, very creative, and original. If you look at the recent scotch cover story in Wine Spectator (which I was not involved with), you will see the great writing he is capable of.

Marvin Shanken is very big on each magazine remaining independent of the others (which is why Jack wrote the scotch piece in WS and not me). We are still Malt Advocate doing what we always have been doing. Might there be a few changes in the future? Sure. But if there is change, it will be for the better, not worse.

proof and age
03-04-2011, 05:45
Look out for more of these LDI bottlings of rye, and also some more from Canada showing up here in the US ala the Whistle Pig model, recently saw an approved label for Jefferson's Reserve 10YR 100% rye.

Parkersback
03-04-2011, 06:21
Saw my 1st bottle of this in Brooklyn last night. Bottle looks identical to the bourbon, except the label is green. $35+. I passed.

craftycoder
03-04-2011, 07:59
I picked up a bottle of Bulleit 95 because Atlanta has had a serious lack of rye options. I can consistantly get Old Overholt for <$10 or High west for >$50. Wild Turkey and Beam are also around on occasion but for me they don't make a great value proposition compared to Overholt which is always on the shelf. Well, the Bulleit also is no great value. This is certainly not knocking my socks off. Until Rittenhouse finds its way back to Dixie, I'll be drinking my Overholt and saving the rest of my money for more important things, like Cynar.

White Dog
03-04-2011, 08:20
Look out for more of these LDI bottlings of rye, and also some more from Canada showing up here in the US ala the Whistle Pig model, recently saw an approved label for Jefferson's Reserve 10YR 100% rye.

Whoa! That sure sounds interesting. By the way, does HH have any 8, 9, 10yr Rye laying around in barrel? Wouldn't that be fun for you to sell? I'd sure have fun buying it.:lol: :cool: :lol:

squire
03-04-2011, 09:34
If there's any chance some barrels of aged rye might have been mislaid I'll volunteer to help come look for them.

cowdery
03-04-2011, 10:12
I reached out to my usually-responsive senior brand PR contact at Diageo ("The Big Galoot") a week ago and have heard nothing back. Am I now persona non? It wouldn't be the first time. I was banned at Beam for about ten years. A lot of people seem to be keeping their distance from me recently. Perhaps I need to bathe more.

squire
03-04-2011, 10:42
Donno about you Chuck but I don't want the word sycophant on my headstone.

biskuit
03-04-2011, 11:18
Until Rittenhouse finds its way back to Dixie, I'll be drinking my Overholt and saving the rest of my money for more important things, like Cynar.

Holiday Package Store up on Buford Highway has the Rittenhouse BIB for $15, several bottles left. I just grabbed one a couple days ago (they also have a few six packs of Bell's Hopslam if you dig beer, it's great and VERY hard to find as most places sell out within an hour of arrival).

cowdery
03-04-2011, 16:24
At that price it must be old stock. Jump on it. It's $20 here.

White Dog
03-04-2011, 17:35
Quite a few retailers in the Milwaukee area are selling the just-released batch of RittBIB at $16.99. However, some have run out and are already back-ordering.:hot: :hot:

HH just can't keep up supply on this one.

cowdery
03-04-2011, 17:43
Diageo has finally checked in and promised me a sample.

White Dog
03-04-2011, 18:14

They'll probably delay as long as they can, since they know you'll write an honest opinion of the whiskey. It's not in their best interest for you to try it.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

craigthom
03-04-2011, 19:02
I picked up a bottle of Bulleit 95 because Atlanta has had a serious lack of rye options. I can consistantly get Old Overholt for <$10 or High west for >$50. Wild Turkey and Beam are also around on occasion but for me they don't make a great value proposition compared to Overholt which is always on the shelf. Well, the Bulleit also is no great value. This is certainly not knocking my socks off. Until Rittenhouse finds its way back to Dixie, I'll be drinking my Overholt and saving the rest of my money for more important things, like Cynar.

While the Rittenhouse BIB is hit or miss in Atlanta, I've had no problem finding the 80 proof when I've been there. Have you tried the Green's on Buford Highway, or the Tower on Cheshire Bridge?

camduncan
03-04-2011, 21:28

Is there any word on proposed distribution Chuck? Australia (as I understand it) is a strong market for Bulleit, and we are sorely lacking in Rye options.... At the moment Beam Rye has most of the market and Wild Turkey Rye has only just started making the shelves at a national level... I can imagine a third player would make good ground here if they were keen to enter the market.

callmeox
03-05-2011, 04:56
Bulleit Rye will be on the April price list in Ohio, so we have not been left out of the LDI Ryeathon.

OscarV
03-05-2011, 05:06
Bulleit Rye will be on the April price list in Ohio, so we have not been left out of the LDI Ryeathon.

Did they say what the price is going to be?

callmeox
03-05-2011, 05:45

I asked, but it is not settled until it hits the price list.

CorvallisCracker
03-05-2011, 10:52
It's yet to appear on the OLCC list. I just checked new items for March, and it's not there, although I do find
JACK DANIEL'S TENNESSEE HO

:bigeyes:

I'm sure it's a truncation of honey, but it's fun to pretend it's not.

OscarV
03-05-2011, 10:58
JACK DANIEL'S TENNESSEE HO

:bigeyes:

Ain't nothing hotter than a TN HO!
I like it when they wear those Walmart White Trash clothes a size or two to small.:bigeyes:

kickert
03-05-2011, 11:42
Just had a taste today. Based on the comments here I was expecting to hate it, but it is actually a pretty decent pour. Not my favorite Rye, but still better than Beam, Overholt and probably Ri1. I like Ritt better than Bulleit, but still a solid whiskey.

I get the LDI grassiness that I have picked up in other products from there, and while it is a bit young, that aspect doesn't throw off the balance.

cowdery
03-06-2011, 19:11
I still don't have anything from Bulleit but I do have the Redemption and am looking forward to comparing them.

craftycoder
03-09-2011, 07:09
Holiday Package Store up on Buford Highway has the Rittenhouse BIB for $15, several bottles left. I just grabbed one a couple days ago (they also have a few six packs of Bell's Hopslam if you dig beer, it's great and VERY hard to find as most places sell out within an hour of arrival).

Thank you Biskuit. They indeed had inventory!

cowdery
03-09-2011, 12:57
I assume your use of the past tense is deliberate.

jcg9779
03-09-2011, 22:02

I'm a fan of the Bell's beer, so I may have to make a trip to Buford Highway tomorrow evening - I hope they haven't sold out!

craftycoder
03-10-2011, 08:23
I assume your use of the past tense is deliberate.

I did indeed.

I did a blind rye tasting for my wife. She tasted 4 neat and with a little water. She ranked them in this order.

Bulleit
Sazerac jr
Rittenhouse BIB
Old Overholt

Coincidentally, that is order of cost as well. I made her a Rittenhouse Daisy before dinner and she certainly didn't complain. In fact, that was a great cocktail.

I did the same tasting, not blind of course, and came up with different results. I swapped the Ritt and Bulleit.

Rittenhouse BIB
Sazerac jr
Bulleit
Old Overholt

I really liked the nose on the Rittenhouse (though it was too hot for neat drinking for me), where I thought the Bulleit's nose smelled of old bananas. The Sazerac had a finish that lasted 30 minutes. My mouth tasted like sprouted grain. That was very interesting.

callmeox
03-15-2011, 08:47

Pricing on the April list is in the 22.00-23.00 range, tax included.

jburlowski
03-16-2011, 15:36
Price is around $21 locally. I've been busying enjoying the Abraham Bowman barrel-strength rye, so I haven't picked up any yet. I'm also waiting for reviews here cuz I can get Ritt BiB for the same price.

tmckenzie
03-17-2011, 04:40
Saw it yesterday, but I just was not going to give 35 bucks for it.

Rotgut
03-17-2011, 10:02
On an impulse I picked up a bottle a week or so ago. It was about $23, a little more than WT Rye. I'm not a big fan of the Bulleit bourbon so I had buyer's remorse on the way home but I've ended up liking the rye. I'm not as good as picking out and describing scents, flavors, etc. as lots of people here, but it was light and sweet. I kept thinking I was drinking WT Rye with a little more water than I'd normally add. When others describe a "grassy" flavor that hits me as sounding right.

I haven't seen much low- to mid-priced rye around - I'm lucky to find WT (always a couple in the bunker, though) and haven't seen Ritt BIB anywhere. JB and Overholt are everywhere but I don't like them. So if Bulleit gets a little distribution and the price stays where it is I'd have no problem keeping some around. Handles would be even better.

But I agree, $35/fifth is too much.

Mike

P.S. I don't usually care about the looks of bottles, labels, etc, but I think Bulleit bottles look cool.

cowdery
03-17-2011, 12:11
The Bulleit Rye and the Redemption Rye are both LDI, very similar, and close to the same price, though the Bulleit is a little older and a little better, at least for straight sipping (the Redemption may be better for cocktails), and therefore the better buy. Probably more available too.

Luna56
03-17-2011, 22:14
Coming to NH, soon I hope. 93 bottles listed as "on order" but not in stock yet.
$24.99. Not a fan of the Bulleit bourbon, hoping the rye is better.

Cheers!

Josh
03-18-2011, 08:12
No sign of it in MI yet. It would be the first LDI-distilled whiskey sold in Michigan, assuming the Bulleit bourbon doesn't contain any.

craigthom
03-18-2011, 08:34
It would be the first LDI-distilled whiskey sold in Michigan

that isn't hiding inside a bottle of Seagram's Seven Crown.

Josh
03-18-2011, 09:17
that isn't hiding inside a bottle of Seagram's Seven Crown.

Indeed!:grin:

:fish2: :fish2: :fish2:

p_elliott
03-19-2011, 21:08
They are carrying this in the Maryville MO Hy Vee already. I forgot to check the price.

jmpyle
03-20-2011, 12:16
Just got a hold of the Bulleit Rye. I won't get into thoughts on transparency and what level of it the folks at Bulleit are at with this product, but I can say without question that it's a fine fine rye. Very unique and has a similar entry to the Double Rye! from High West - lots of gin botanicals, pine, spearmint, and floral flavors backed up mightily with fruit and vanilla spiked honey. It's truly delicious and a great value in my opinion.

I'm impressed by it. LDI makes some damn good whiskey. Maybe Chuck will get a peak inside some time after his recent post, and we'll learn more about how they do what they do.

tmckenzie
03-20-2011, 14:03
All of the rye I have tasted from ldi has been really good stuff. I get a distinct dill weed note. I get it some for a few minutes when I run our rye.

jmpyle
03-20-2011, 21:07
All of the rye I have tasted from ldi has been really good stuff. I get a distinct dill weed note. I get it some for a few minutes when I run our rye.

I can absolutely see that. There's a very very green, fresh, herbal, floral nose and flavor to LDI's 95% rye. Even some of the older stuff, which I believe the Bulleit Rye is, has retained that flavor. A few years extra aging hasn't yanked it all out. For me, it's super interesting and I've always enjoyed it. Folks that have steered clear of rye, equating it with heat and over the top spice should give this a try. Little burn to speak of, just full of high note flavor and subtly sweet.

callmeox
03-20-2011, 21:12

While nosing my Templeton rye tonight, I was picking up a dill pickle note as well.

Too funny.

jmpyle
03-20-2011, 21:20
While nosing my Templeton rye tonight, I was picking up a dill pickle note as well.

Too funny.

Well there you go! Looking forward to sipping some this week and checking that out.

HRay
03-20-2011, 22:37
I have to say that I am one of those really big fans of the tase of rye whiskey. My favorite whiskey is Sazerac 18 and a close second is the Van Winkle Ramily Reserve Rye. These are both expensive and hard to find (I am fortunate to have a few bottles of each) so I have been looking for more available and affordable ryes. I have all of the ryes that are available here in Atlanta (Beam, WT, Old Overholt, High West, etc.) and also ordered some Templeton to check that out. I have now learned (from reading here) that the Templeton and High West ryes are from LDI.

All that said, here comes the Bulleit Rye to Atlanta and wow what great flavor at an affordable price! I am really pleased with this whiskey. I have found my daily rye. I tasted some of the Templeton batch 2 and thought the flavor was great so I ordered some but could only get batch 3 and didn't like it quite as much. Now that I have the Bulleit, I need to open another of the Templetons and compare it to the High West and the Bulleit. Which High West is the most comparable to the Templeton?

CorvallisCracker
03-21-2011, 10:34
OLCC price list for April posted today. Still don't see it.

IowaJeff
03-21-2011, 10:49
They are carrying this in the Maryville MO Hy Vee already. I forgot to check the price.

Hy-Vee's generally carry Bulleit bourbon around here, I'm hoping they get the rye. I bet they do, given Iowa's sudden insatiable thirst for rye whiskey.

cowdery
03-21-2011, 10:55
The LDI 95 rye is such a different style from something like Rittenhouse because it's made to be an ingredient in a blend. I find it flavorful and interesting but not well balanced. It just wants a bit more corn. Though it's not LDI, I get the same thing from WhistlePig and for the same reason. It was made to be a flavoring whiskey, an ingredient, not a drink in its own right. Age seems to help, as the Templeton and High West versions of the LDI rye are much older than the Bulleit and the Bulleit is older than the Redemption.

jmpyle
03-21-2011, 12:23
The LDI 95 rye is such a different style from something like Rittenhouse because it's made to be an ingredient in a blend. I find it flavorful and interesting but not well balanced. It just wants a bit more corn. Though it's not LDI, I get the same thing from WhistlePig and for the same reason. It was made to be a flavoring whiskey, an ingredient, not a drink in its own right. Age seems to help, as the Templeton and High West versions of the LDI rye are much older than the Bulleit and the Bulleit is older than the Redemption.

Whistlepig to me is just a massive massive rye with a lot of richness to it. I"d consider it a bourbon drinkers Rye. But I do agree with what your saying about the LDI juice being a high note component for blending. It doesn't need the weight because it wasn't originally intended to "go it alone". I'm sure glad some folks have put it out though, because it's so interesting and tasty.

As for High West, to my knowledge, the LDI juice they used was the 2 year for Double Rye! (younger than Bulleit and in line with Redemption) and the 6 year old for Rendezvous. I am not aware of the other older rye's for their blends being LDI products. Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's only the young ryes that are from LDI.

Reports I've seen indicate this Bulleit Rye being between 4-7 years of age.

cowdery
03-21-2011, 23:17
I'm pretty confident the Bulleit Rye is 4 years and a day. So at six years for what Templeton and High West are using, that's some of the oldest LDI whiskey that has shown up. In the DD interview, Perkins mentioned that he sourced everything through Pernod, which I found very interesting. Assuming it was whiskey Pernod owned, they may have been responsible for it gaining some extra age, since it belonged to Pernod and LDI couldn't sell it. Wonder if that explains Templeton too, both WRT the age and the supply problems, i.e., Pernod only had so much to sell and everything LDI had was really young. But now we're speculating again.

Whistlepig probably stands for the proposition that age fixes everything, as it's 10 years old. I wonder if that came from Pernod too? They, not Beam, own the Walkerville Distillery.

Josh
03-23-2011, 08:38
Bulleit 95 Rye just showed up on the Michigan list. 90 proof, $24.95.

HipFlask
03-24-2011, 17:39
I just picked up a bottle that I plan to open on vacation over by the Mississippi. Looking forward to giving it a shot. My wife will try it with ginger ale and I'll be straight. It will be darn fine whiskey just because of that! I got to try a healthy poor at the store before I bought it. The company rep was in and was giving samples. I was presently surprised that it was pretty good as I find that the Bulleit Bourbon is merely OK.

cowdery
03-24-2011, 18:29
I don't like to try the healthy poor because I feel they have enough trials what with being poor and all.

At least they have their health. :)

BradleyC
03-24-2011, 19:59
I picked up a bottle today and have just now gotten into it. I wasn't expecting too much, but I am really impressed. I think it is well balanced and rather full flavored with a long finish. There is more sweetness than I was expecting. I was thinking it would be full of rye and grassy, but did not find that.

At this price range (low 20's) I will definitely buy more.

It's too early to judge, but I may like this better than Baby Saz. It's quite different from Rittenhouse, so harder to judge against.

Great job Bulliet (or LDI) !

wripvanwrinkle
03-25-2011, 15:56
I also like it. The finish has more vanilla and goes on longer than I think it ought too...

tmckenzie
03-26-2011, 12:51
finally saw it for 32 this afternoon, and just had to get a bottle. I have only smelled it so far, smells a lot like our Mckenzie rye, without the sherry. I will post my thoughts as soon as I get into it.

tmckenzie
03-26-2011, 17:50
Just had a good snort of it. A lot lighter than I expected. I got a like of what call honeysuckle on the nose, and honey, clover honey in the taste. I get a lot of spearmint in the taste of it. I am not keen on all of the fancy tasting notes. I guess I am like I have heard Parker Beam say. Tastes like rye to me.

Lost Pollito
03-26-2011, 21:47
Yep. I got tons of spearmint in the bottle I tasted as well.

ThomasH
03-30-2011, 22:14
Was at the local store today and no Bulleit 95 yet but did get to chat with a rep from Diageo who was also suprised it hadn't showed up yet. He called and made it known my local store wants a case ASAP so hopefully it will be here soon!

Thomas

callmeox
03-31-2011, 03:43
Was at the local store today and no Bulleit 95 yet but did get to chat with a rep from Diageo who was also suprised it hadn't showed up yet. He called and made it known my local store wants a case ASAP so hopefully it will be here soon!

Thomas

95 was first added to the April price list, so it can't hit the shelves until 4/1 at the earliest. As of a few days ago, there was none in the state warehouses yet. Due to how the store allocations are done it probably won't hit the shelves until the second week even if it were to hit the warehouses today.

CorvallisCracker
03-31-2011, 09:33
Still not on the OLCC list. If we ever do get it here, I expect it will be over $30. Oh well.

ThomasH
03-31-2011, 15:38
I didn't expext it to be in Ohio just yet but checked while in the area anyhow. Sometimes things do show up early in stores. The store I frequent is in the top 5 in sales in all Ohio so there is no doubt it will be one of the first to get it when it is out!

Thomas

HRay
04-01-2011, 22:41

What do you think the ages of the Templeton, High West, and Bulleit ryes are? Were they all aged in Indiana?

cowdery
04-02-2011, 14:42
High West got whiskey from several distilleries and I believe their LDI whiskey was not one of the older ones. Templeton is at least 4 years old but I suspect they're doing some of the aging in Iowa. Bulleit is also at least 4 years old. Redemption is at least 2 years old. Except for Templeton I believe they were all fully aged in Indiana. I know the Bulleit and Redemption were. I don't know about High West.

jburlowski
04-03-2011, 05:41
FWIW, in the current issue of The Bourbon Review, Tom Bulleit says that Bulleit Rye is "aged 5 - 7 years".

p_elliott
04-04-2011, 08:03
FWIW, in the current issue of The Bourbon Review, Tom Bulleit says that Bulleit Rye is "aged 5 - 7 years".

I'm not sure I would buy that piece of information unless they are aging it somewhere else themselves.

cowdery
04-04-2011, 14:25
And they're not, at least according to Diageo. They told me it's aged 100% at LDI.

With me, age claims unsupported by a label age statement tend to go in one ear and out the other unless I have some proof, like watching the barrels being dumped.

squire
04-04-2011, 16:10
I agree Chuck, some years back, '76 I think, I was a guest at a Bourbon tasting at our club. Our host represented a small Kentucky distillery and put on a good show addressed to mostly Scotch and Martini drinkers. When the "how old is your whisky" question was asked we were assured that all their product was fully aged and there was no age statement because they just let it rest and bottled it when it reached the point of perfection so age was immaterial. We were further assured the whisky we were sampling was 13 years of age. Well, I guess we drank it all because I've never heard or read since of that brand being bottled at anywhere near that age.

The Boozer
04-14-2011, 14:55
Picked up a bottle today. Nose full of spearmint, nice spicey flavor. Does lack some balance as Chuck said, due to the lack on corn. Surprised it has a sweetness at the backend. Decent medium dry finish. Give it a thumbs up.

timd
04-18-2011, 11:01
Grabbed some Bulleit Rye. Can't differentiate it from the Redemption Rye much at all, but it was $5 cheaper, so that's a good thing.

I think Redemption has more toilet cleaner/pine-freshness to it than Bulleit, but Bulleit has more body - that's about it that I can suss out

Anybody else find them to be virtually identical?

cowdery
04-19-2011, 09:51
I haven't tried to distinguish them but they are very similar. I'm surprised the two additional years of aging doesn't seem to have made much difference.

kickert
04-19-2011, 13:27
My experience with LDI juice has yielded a similar conclusion... additional age doesn't do as much as you would expect.

OscarV
04-19-2011, 17:05
I have seen Bulleit Rye here in MI for a couple of weeks and it is 25 bucks.
Ain't got none and I ain't interested.

ThomasH
04-19-2011, 18:15
I haven't seen any in my area yet. I will get a bottle as I like rye a lot, second only to WTRR101, Weller 12 and Hancock's Reserve!

Thomas

tmckenzie
04-20-2011, 03:30
Somtimes longer aging on rye, does not enhance it much I think. Until you get to 10 yrs or better. Seems like it sticks around 2 years. Just an observation.

ThomasH
04-20-2011, 09:30
This officially showed up in my area today. Will be getting a bottle tommorrow!

Thomas

CorvallisCracker
04-20-2011, 12:32
Is on the OLCC price list for May. $28.95.

timd
04-21-2011, 09:58
Somtimes longer aging on rye, does not enhance it much I think. Until you get to 10 yrs or better. Seems like it sticks around 2 years. Just an observation.

I think there's a nice shift at the 6-8 yr mark, but agree that after 10 is where the real magic happens.

For me, more than age (within reason, of course), it seems to be the ABV that drives the flavor with Rye more than most any other spirit. Look at the higher proof bottlings like Handy, WT101, Ritt BIB, etc - a 40% Rye, IMHO usually falls short of a 45% or higher. Just not a spirit meant to be lower ABV'd

Of course I'd always be happiest with an older rye at a very high ABV... but who wouldn't?

ThomasH
04-28-2011, 17:27
Finally got my bottle of Bulleit rye today, a week late due to a liquor store/ODLC snafu. The liquor store got the bottles last wednesday. I went to get one Thursday and was told they didn't get any. They did get it but couldn't put it out because it wasn't activated in the ODLC's computer system. The joy of of dealing with a state liquor monopoly!

Thomas

Luna56
04-29-2011, 22:11
On my second pour now, having snagged a bottle today.

It starts out assertively, no question you're drinking a rye. It hits you up front with everything it's got. Grassy, spicy, peppery rye edge. It never really develops but that edge is there from start to finish.

A little time in the glass deepens the flavors a bit but the edge remains undiminished. The middle is a bit, for lack of a better word, "messy". I'd like to see this hooch after 10 years in a new barrel. If the assertion upthread about aging in used barrels is true I wonder that maybe that choice was made to lessen the influence of tannins on an already "edgy" juice.

Bulleit bourbon has always tasted a bit crude to me and this rye carries a lot of what I have come to know as the profile of Bulleit whiskey. But I kinda dig this somewhat coarse, unrefined rye. What I don't like about the bourbon I like in the rye. One more pour is in order. Cheers to Bulleit.
Cheers!

cowdery
04-30-2011, 15:03
Set that rumor to rest. Only new barrels were used.

Luna56
04-30-2011, 20:51
Glad to know it, Chuck, thanks.

Fat pour of it now, it's growing on me.

Cheers!

Parkersback
04-30-2011, 20:54
I had my first taste of this at a bar tonight, and was pleasantly surprised.

My experience with rye is pretty limited--RittBIB, OO, VWFRR are the three I've had recently. This is way better than OO, and is apples and oranges with Ritt. (I'm still getting to know the VW).

Ritt always strikes me as sweet for a rye, like a toffee with a slightly spicy finish. Bulleit was way fresher: minty, piney, maybe a bit of citrus. I gave it to my wife and asked her what she tasted and she said, "Cherries."

I liked it and might buy a bottle to give it a tasting at home. But the price is tough: $32, as compared to $20 for RittBIB. I'd give the nod to Ritt no matter what, but that it's 1/3 less makes Bulleit that much less appealing.

I get the sense that they aren't selling to me, a whiskey nerd, so maybe they don't care that I won't buy this much. But I might buy regularly if it was $25.

SMOWK
05-01-2011, 13:09
I keep coming back to this, and other LDI whiskey. All I get is mint mint mint, and then rye. Interesting, but they are starting to become monotonous.

Gillman
05-01-2011, 20:27
I agree with Tom's remarks.

By the way a Rittenhouse BIB (current issue) tasted last night at Sampler Gazebo was superb. I added a touch of water, which brought it to perfection.

Gary

timd
05-02-2011, 08:51
I keep coming back to this, and other LDI whiskey. All I get is mint mint mint, and then rye. Interesting, but they are starting to become monotonous.
I love the mint (especially found in RR Rye) - and the pine cleaner. But the LDI offerings are fairly one dimensional, and comparatively over priced for most folks (although I can find Bulleit for about $23).

With WT101 Rye, Ritt BIB and with some searching even RR Rye & Baby Sazfor $25 and under, and Redemption & Bulleit appearing to be slightly higher than that, it makes it hard to consider them for regular pours.

Even R(1) has dropped in most places to below $25 - so what niche is a $28-$32 bottle of Bulleit & Redemption trying to fill? I like them for experimental purposes - and have enjoyed them, but neither is close to replacing the Ritt, WT or Russels, IMHO - even at the same price point.

cowdery
05-02-2011, 18:34
Some people think the more rye the better, but I believe a straight rye needs that corn backbone. I'd like someone to do a 65/25/10 rye. I think that may be all the rye you want. 95 to 100 percent is too much.

IowaJeff
05-03-2011, 07:39
I just bought a bottle last weekend. I like it, and certainly welcome another readily available rye on the local grocery store shelves. I would buy Sazerac over Bulleit though. The mintyness on the nose and when it first hit your mouth is a little much for me. I don't drink many cocktails, but I could see Bulleit being a go to rye for cocktail drinkers and bartenders.

DeanSheen
05-03-2011, 07:45
I picked some up in KY. I like it but the lack of age is very apparent. It needs a little more body to it and some barrel character to mellow out the sharp rye attributes.

I'm glad I have only bought a LDI in the form of Bulleit since it seems to be the cheapest. It's an easy buy at $22 but if it was any more it would probably push my perception of the JUICE* more towards the negative.

* brought to you by the campaign to "Use the Word Juice More". We are bringing it back!

timd
05-03-2011, 13:30
Some people think the more rye the better, but I believe a straight rye needs that corn backbone. I'd like someone to do a 65/25/10 rye. I think that may be all the rye you want. 95 to 100 percent is too much.
Grand Traverse Distillery up in Michigan makes a series of liqours:

100% Corn
100% Barley/Single Malt
100% Wheat
100% Rye
100% Single Malt (with 15% of the barley being peated).

You can then ask them to mix them in any proportion you like, buy a charred barrel (from 1 to 10 liters in size with their logo stamped on it - or buy elsewhere!) and then age your own vatted whiskey for 5-7 months, or however long you like!

I did 2 liters of 75% Rye/25% corn for 6 months, and am now aging the peated malt in that same cask for a "rye finished peated scotch"!

The High-rye vatting is really good, very farmy/grainey and young tasting, but super dark. We cheated a tad and topped off the angel's share with Rittenhouse BIB to help "round it" a bit... but at 120+ proof, it's quite hot and fire filled, but a fun drink. Sadly, it doesn't hold up to watering down very well... below 110 proof it starts to get weak and loses some flair.

I certainly don't see me selling it or having people beat down my door for this stuff (we did two liters of each total among a group of three of us), but it was a fun experiment and has inspired me to try more.

I've since bought a few more barrels to try some additional experiments - found a place here in TX with heavily charred barrels (not just toasted) that I may try aging some Redemption mixed with Rittenhouse in, and then finishing a couple of low-end peated Scotches with.

The peated-Scotch on Rye thing is a real neat concept, and nothing short of amazing when it comes out right!.

Brisko
05-03-2011, 14:23

Over in the Whiskey Tree thread (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15005&page=2) Josh has both Heaven Hill and Wild Turkey's ryes listed at 65/23/12. Is that not accurate?

cowdery
05-03-2011, 21:56
No, it's not. Both are 51% rye, 39% corn, 10% malt. It might be a little more corn and a little less malt but every straight rye made as a straight rye, as distinguished from 'ingredient ryes' like Bulleit or WhistlePig, is 51% rye.

Josh
05-04-2011, 05:53
Grand Traverse Distillery up in Michigan makes a series of liqours...

I certainly don't see me selling it or having people beat down my door for this stuff (we did two liters of each total among a group of three of us), but it was a fun experiment and has inspired me to try more...

Last time we were at Grand Traverse, bonneamie and I split the cost of a 5 ltr barrel and filled it with 4 corns and 1 rye. It aged for 10 mos on the 2nd floor of my garage. She brought a bottle of the uncut results to the gazebo. I rinsed out the barrel with distilled water and cut mine 5:1 with the water. It's not bad. Freakishly dark tho.

No, it's not. Both are 51% rye, 39% corn, 10% malt. It might be a little more corn and a little less malt but every straight rye made as a straight rye, as distinguished from 'ingredient ryes' like Bulleit or WhistlePig, is 51% rye.

I hope to get that tree updated this week. That info came from the Regan book.

cowdery
05-04-2011, 08:50
Gary may have been right. My info is a bit more recent.

Shell
05-04-2011, 09:56
... I like it, and certainly welcome another readily available rye on the local grocery store shelves. I would buy Sazerac over Bulleit though. ...

I am very glad to see new ryes in the market. I find Bulleit Rye to be very, very good (9 on a scale of 10). The nose is wonderful, but not overpowering. The mouth feel is well-balanced, very smooth, and a very nice rye finish. It reminds me of a softer version of the High West Rendezvous Rye (I have Batch No. 5b and I find the High West Rendezvous to be excellent - 9.5 on a scale of 10). (At $24.95/bottle here in MI, I find Bulleit Rye to be a nice value.)

I find the 95% rye/5% barley ryes, if expertly blended and aged, to be inspired.

The Sazerac Rye 6 yr. is excellent - I wonder what its mashbill proportion is?

Ian S.
05-15-2011, 18:06
I find Bulleit Rye to be quite a delightful pour. I've never been a big rye fan simply because the ryes lying in the 20-30 dollar range have always seemed lacking in some aspect. With the Bulleit, I think that part of it may be the youth of the whiskey and another is the high rye content. Without the prominent wood you really get to savor the high rye flavor and quality of the distillate. Funny, seeing that I've never liked Bulleit Bourbon because of it's short aging.

White Dog
05-15-2011, 21:17
I am very glad to see new ryes in the market. I find Bulleit Rye to be very, very good (9 on a scale of 10). The nose is wonderful, but not overpowering. The mouth feel is well-balanced, very smooth, and a very nice rye finish. It reminds me of a softer version of the High West Rendezvous Rye (I have Batch No. 5b and I find the High West Rendezvous to be excellent - 9.5 on a scale of 10). (At $24.95/bottle here in MI, I find Bulleit Rye to be a nice value.)

I find the 95% rye/5% barley ryes, if expertly blended and aged, to be inspired.

The Sazerac Rye 6 yr. is excellent - I wonder what its mashbill proportion is?

If Bulleit is 9 out of 10, that doesn't leave much variance for VWFRR, Vintage 21, Hirsch 22 and 25, Saz 18, Handy, BMH 23, Ritt 21, RittBIB, WT101Rye and Michter's 10, as they would all have to be 10s.:lol:

Ian S.
05-15-2011, 21:26
If Bulleit is 9 out of 10, that doesn't leave much variance for VWFRR, Vintage 21, Hirsch 22 and 25, Saz 18, Handy, BMH 23, Ritt 21, RittBIB, WT101Rye and Michter's 10, as they would all have to be 10s.:lol:

It gives them plenty of variance. The Rye scale goes to 11. :grin:

timd
05-16-2011, 11:26
It gives them plenty of variance. The Rye scale goes to 11. :grin:

Amen brother... amen.

SMOWK
05-19-2011, 11:01
I have found Bulleit to be pretty low on the totem pole. I think Pikesville is a better pour and you can get a 1.75 of it for less than a 750 of Bulleit.

Although, if you like minty spirits, I can see how it would be quite a delight.

Shell
05-19-2011, 12:01
I have found Bulleit to be pretty low on the totem pole. I think Pikesville is a better pour and you can get a 1.75 of it for less than a 750 of Bulleit.

I'm quite fond of Pikesville Straight Rye - a clean, crisp rye at a great value. The problem is that it's only available in 3 to 4 states. (I pick up some when I drive through Maryland 2 or 3 times yearly.)

But Pikesville Rye is distinctly different that Bulleit Rye. I find the rye to be more pronounced and spicier in the Bulleit Rye.

cigarnv
05-19-2011, 15:15

Sky, agree with you on the Pikesville.... as for the Bulleit I have had less mint in a Mojito....

SMOWK
05-20-2011, 08:49
as for the Bulleit I have had less mint in a Mojito....

The LDI stuff sticks out like a sore thumb in blind tastings. At first I thought "unique", but now it is becoming boring and medicinal. Note: I like cinnamon mouthwash, not mint.

ebo
05-21-2011, 13:10
I bought a bottle of this today. I will crack it open later and see if I like it.

ebo
05-22-2011, 09:06
I tried this last night. I like the nose... sour and grassy. The taste is kind of the same way, but in a good way. I don't think it stands up to the Saz.Jr. or the WT Rye that I've tried, but I like it and will probably buy it again.

Luna56
05-22-2011, 22:44
The Bulleit rye is very different and I like it. I'd pick baby Saz over it any day, but the Bulleit is it's own thing and worth regarding as such, if you get me.

WT rye; I bought a bottle of this a couple years ago and shared it with about a dozen friends one night. None had had a rye before. No lie, every single person said "Yuck!" when they tasted it. Me too. Absolutely horrible. I mean spit it out horrible. I'd been raving to them about rye and with one taste they were turned against it forever. WT rye: HATED!!

Cheers!

Shell
05-23-2011, 10:33
The Bulleit rye is very different and I like it. I'd pick baby Saz over it any day, but the Bulleit is it's own thing and worth regarding as such, if you get me.

WT rye; I bought a bottle of this a couple years ago and shared it with about a dozen friends one night. None had had a rye before. No lie, every single person said "Yuck!" when they tasted it. Me too. Absolutely horrible. I mean spit it out horrible. I'd been raving to them about rye and with one taste they were turned against it forever. WT rye: HATED!!

Cheers!

Rye is a complex and assertive whiskey and I suggest other brands when introducing friends to the world of Rye. Pikesville Straight Rye (if you can get it in your state) is a perfect introductory Rye. Sazerac Rye (commonly called "baby Saz") and Russell's Reserve 6 yr. Rye also have the smoothness for being introductory Ryes. The Wild Turkey Rye in a traditional Manhattan would likely have gotten a more enthusiastic response from your friends.

I am also an aficionado of Islay single malt scotch, but am similarly cautious when introducing new Scotch drinkers to the single malt scotch world. I would first have them try one of the Highland single malts, and then perhaps Bunnahabhain (one of the less peaty Islays).

smokinjoe
05-23-2011, 11:35

Cheers!

This is basically my feeling on the Bulleit rye, as well. It's different. I like it's difference. It's not a complex whiskey, but I find it's youngish grassiness to be pleasing. That said, I'd take Baby Saz over it any day, too, as Baby Saz is my gold standard for affordable ryes. But, the Bulleit is a nice change-up. I would, however, take the Bulleit over Ritt BIB, any day. Heresy, I know. But, what I like about the Bulleit (different), is what I don't care for in the Ritt (Not different. I can barely distinguish it from regular bourbon)

JeffRenner
05-28-2011, 15:50

I have a friend who visits MD every once in a while and who often brings me back a handle of Pikesville. Sadly, the last one was 3-years-old rather than the previous 4-y-o, and it showed. I wish the distilleries wouldn't do this.

OscarV
05-28-2011, 16:20
I have a friend who visits MD every once in a while and who often brings me back a handle of Pikesville. Sadly, the last one was 3-years-old rather than the previous 4-y-o, and it showed. I wish the distilleries wouldn't do this.

No kiddin'?
That 4yo was that much better than the 3yo?!

Josh
05-28-2011, 16:42
No kiddin'?

Hmm. I wonder if they were from different distilleries?

Shell
05-29-2011, 13:41

Hmm. I wonder if they were from different distilleries?

I wrote Heaven Hill last year about the age of Pikesville Straight Rye. They wrote back the it used to be aged 4 yrs., but they recently reduced it to 3 yrs. because of its high demand. They indicated that the Rittenhouse Rye continues to be a 4 yr. old.

Josh
05-29-2011, 14:40
I wrote Heaven Hill last year about the age of Pikesville Straight Rye. They wrote back the it used to be aged 4 yrs., but they recently reduced it to 3 yrs. because of its high demand. They indicated that the Rittenhouse Rye continues to be a 4 yr. old.

Interesting!

Rittenhouse is probably still B-F made but I was wondering if Pikesville is now Bernheim distillate.

JeffRenner
05-29-2011, 18:03
No kiddin'?
Yeah, the 3yo is a bit feinty. The one I really miss, though, is Fleishmann's rye, which used to be 4yo, then 3yo, and then disappeared entirely from Wisconsin, which is the only place I could get it. The 4yo was a terrific inexpensive little rye.

AaronWF
05-31-2011, 15:18
Rye is a complex and assertive whiskey...

I am also an aficionado of Islay single malt scotch, but am similarly cautious when introducing new Scotch drinkers to the single malt scotch world. I would first have them try one of the Highland single malts, and then perhaps Bunnahabhain (one of the less peaty Islays).

So where would you go after Bunnahabhain? I fell in love with the 12-year last year. I've got my eye on the Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Bruichladdich, but I haven't found anything in their line-up I'm comfortable laying out the dough for. I picked up a bottle of Kilchoman this past weekend. I thought it was the new Spring 2011 bottling, but turns out it's Summer 2010. Enjoyable, but it hasn't inspired enough enthusiasm in me yet.

ebo
05-31-2011, 17:44
So where would you go after Bunnahabhain?

I'm also a huge fan of Islay whisky. After the Bunnahabhain, I would suggest Caol Ila 12. Also, while not Islay, Talisker is another good place to start on the journey through smokey whiskies. There is nothing wrong with going straight to Laphroaig... or Ardbeg, but if you want to do it gradually, those are the two I would recommend.

Shell
05-31-2011, 20:29
So where would you go after Bunnahabhain? I fell in love with the 12-year last year. I've got my eye on the Laphroaig Quarter Cask and Bruichladdich, but I haven't found anything in their line-up I'm comfortable laying out the dough for. I picked up a bottle of Kilchoman this past weekend. I thought it was the new Spring 2011 bottling, but turns out it's Summer 2010. Enjoyable, but it hasn't inspired enough enthusiasm in me yet.

I'm also a huge fan of Islay whisky. After the Bunnahabhain, I would suggest Caol Ila 12. Also, while not Islay, Talisker is another good place to start on the journey through smokey whiskies. There is nothing wrong with going straight to Laphroaig... or Ardbeg, but if you want to do it gradually, those are the two I would recommend.

Islay single malts: The Lagavulin 16 year is excellent as is the Ardbeg 10 yr. (they are both in my cabinet!). I have not tried the other Ardbeg's, but many of the reviews have been outstanding. Bruichladddich is also excellent, but can be hard to find. I had the opportunity to try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask at a dinner party and was blown away with its smoky and peat character. Bowmore is also quite good, but the peat character is toned down considerably. Enjoy!

AaronWF
06-01-2011, 09:46
After the Bunnahabhain, I would suggest Caol Ila 12. Also, while not Islay, Talisker is another good place to start on the journey through smokey whiskies. There is nothing wrong with going straight to Laphroaig... or Ardbeg, but if you want to do it gradually, those are the two I would recommend.

Islay single malts: The Lagavulin 16 year is excellent as is the Ardbeg 10 yr. (they are both in my cabinet!). I have not tried the other Ardbeg's, but many of the reviews have been outstanding. Bruichladddich is also excellent, but can be hard to find. I had the opportunity to try the Laphroaig Quarter Cask at a dinner party and was blown away with its smoky and peat character. Bowmore is also quite good, but the peat character is toned down considerably. Enjoy!

Thanks for the rec's guys! Bowmore was another one I had my eye on, but the entry price on these whiskys is so high... it's hard to justify a bottle purchase without first hand experience. One of these days I'll make it over to Duke of Perth (Chicago bar) for tastings of all of these.

I've enjoyed a rare bottle of Caol Ila in the past. I picked up the last cask strength unpeated expression, and I like it but I'm missing the fresh sea salt of Bunnahabhain. I'm searching for that sea salt, more so than smoke.

I found a link to this flavor map somewhere in this forum. I found it interesting:
http://www.malts.com/index.php/en_us/Choosing-Whisky/A-World-of-Flavour/The-Single-Malt-Whisky-Flavour-Map

Sorry for the somewhat OT jaunt here!

Shell
06-01-2011, 12:49
Thanks for the rec's guys! Bowmore was another one I had my eye on, but the entry price on these whiskys is so high... it's hard to justify a bottle purchase without first hand experience. One of these days I'll make it over to Duke of Perth (Chicago bar) for tastings of all of these.

In Chicago, I have found Delilah's (www.delilahschicago.com) to be a great place to sample whiskies in Chicago. They have 400+ whiskies (including bourbon, rye, and single malt scotch) and the bartenders are quite knowledgeable and a great source of recommendations. Pours are commonly $7-$8 - a minimal cost way to sample. I don't find it the most relaxing place to sip and enjoy a whisky - but I've never come across a bar with this extensive of a whiskey selection. (I haven't been to the Duke of Perth.)

unclebunk
06-01-2011, 14:37
I'm searching for that sea salt, more so than smoke.

Then you may want to try Old Pulteney or Clynelish 14, though the latter will set you back around $50.

Shell
06-01-2011, 19:42
... but I'm missing the fresh sea salt of Bunnahabhain. I'm searching for that sea salt, more so than smoke. ...

Since you have enjoyed the Bunnahabhain 12 year old, I would try the Lagavulin 16 yr. - it is outstanding and it shows more iodine in the taste. The price, however, is much higher: About $72 at some internet retailers, but it can be priced as high as $90 in stores depending on the state.

smokinjoe
06-01-2011, 19:48
I love you guys, but this is...a rye thread....7 posts may be a bit too much...;)

I Love Lagavulin 16...:D

But, stop...

cowdery
06-08-2011, 16:50
Read the Bourbon Review article (http://www.gobourbon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63:a-new-rye-in-town&catid=8:csr) about it.

I'll have some of whatever they're smoking.

Josh
06-08-2011, 19:54
My favorite WTF momement in that article:

To qualifyin the sub-category of straight small batch ryes, which the new Bulleit Rye falls into, the mash bill must be at least 80 percent rye, which Bulleit Rye meets and exceeds with its very heavy 95 percent rye mash bill.

I was once in a grouchy mood (hard to believe I know) and was reading an blog article on Bulleit Bourbon. The guy was raving about what a genius Tom Bulleit was.

I left the following comment: "You know that Tom Bulleit has about as much to do with Bulleit Bourbon as the Morgan Family has to do with Capt. Morgan, right?"

Parkersback
06-09-2011, 04:34
From the article on Bulleit that Chuck linked to:

The brandís international influence is never more evident than with our neighbors to the north where Bulleit is Canadaís number one selling bourbon.

REALLY??!? I'm stunned by this.

Presumably they aren't counting Jack Daniels. But Bulleit now sells more in Canada than Jim Beam White? Evan Williams Black? Wild Turkey101?

This can't be right.

White Dog
06-09-2011, 08:45
My favorite WTF momement in that article:

I was once in a grouchy mood (hard to believe I know) and was reading an blog article on Bulleit Bourbon. The guy was raving about what a genius Tom Bulleit was.

I left the following comment: "You know that Tom Bulleit has about as much to do with Bulleit Bourbon as the Morgan Family has to do with Capt. Morgan, right?"

Quick, somebody tell Scott Bush to change his label to read "Straight SMALL BATCH Rye.":lol: :lol:

White Dog
06-09-2011, 08:46
From the article on Bulleit that Chuck linked to:

The brandís international influence is never more evident than with our neighbors to the north where Bulleit is Canadaís number one selling bourbon.

REALLY??!? I'm stunned by this.

Presumably they aren't counting Jack Daniels. But Bulleit now sells more in Canada than Jim Beam White? Evan Williams Black? Wild Turkey101?

This can't be right.

Don't underestimate Diageo's ability to bully the LC Board's of Canada for distribution points.

White Dog
06-09-2011, 08:48
Read the Bourbon Review article (http://www.gobourbon.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=63:a-new-rye-in-town&catid=8:csr) about it.

I always have some of what they're smoking, but it doesn't make me write utter bull---t. It's always stunning to see the misinformation that gets passed off as reporting.

cowdery
06-09-2011, 10:58
Since the article was so heavily sourced from Diageo, it's hard to know what's bad reporting and what's misrepresentation.

Re Canada, I checked with someone in a position to know definitively. It ain't so. Bigger than Jim Beam? Not hardly. Maybe best-selling super premium bourbon, beating Knob and Woodford, but I can't believe they beat Maker's.

I like Tom Bulleit, but he really should be ashamed of himself.

tmckenzie
06-09-2011, 17:14

I'll have some of whatever they're smoking. Sign me up for some too. Anybody got a shovel?

T Comp
06-09-2011, 19:38
Is it wrong that I paged through the magazine and never even noticed the article? Of course this was while I was at the General Nelson for the sampler/gazebo festivities and maybe I did read it :lol: .

sanzoluk
06-09-2011, 20:04

This can't be right.

Well, you can't get Wild Turkey 101 or Evan Williams Black in Ontario, and bourbon is stupid expensive ($28 for Beam White, and Bulleit ain't so far off that) so I'm not too surprised. Maker's "fancy bourbon" marketing isn't as effective up here (where people drink Canadian whisky for "smooth") and every bar I go to has Bulleit and maybe one of Beam or Wild Turkey 80 as the well. When your only options are Bulleit, Knob Creek, and Woodford as reasonable pours, and Bulleit is the cheapest of the 3, pickings get slim. (That said, I prefer KC and the random bottlings they get every few months - I stocked up on Ritt BIB and EC12 when both were available.)

That said, if it outsells Beam White I'd be surprised.

cowdery
06-10-2011, 18:43
The point that was made to me by an industry person is that in Canada they are pricing it closer to Beam white than to its usual competition here, like Knob, Woodford, Maker's, Rare Breed, etc., so it is winning in the super-premium segment by underpricing the segment, but it's not beating Jim and Jack. That's what Rod Blagojevich would call, "a non-factual statement."

TBC
06-11-2011, 18:31
I wouldn't even consider Bulleit super premium, good stuff yes, super premium no.

craigthom
06-12-2011, 11:48

If I ever make a product of any kind I'll get them to write a review. That way I can just tell them what to write and not worry about any fact checking.

funknik
06-16-2011, 07:14
So, I'm coming late to the party here, but I just started seeing this on my local shelves, replacing (r)i 1 . . .

I've perused this thread and not found a lot about the taste, but it seems like the Bulleit Rye is basically the same juice as the Willett Family Estate Rye except diluted to 45%?

I love the Willett -- minty as someone mentioned -- so presumably I would like the Bulleit as well. Even though I can't get the Willett locally, I'm thinking I'd rather just stick with that for only a few dollars more. (Unless, of course, I find myself hankering for rye and insufficiently stocked, which seems highly unlikely.) Does that logic jive?

It IS great to see something this exotic in the Whiskey Wasteland that is the great state of Maine, though. We got Buffalo Trace last month, too!

funknik
06-16-2011, 07:21

I cannot believe they published this.

cowdery
06-16-2011, 09:00
I cannot believe they published this.

Based on their usual high editorial standards? (It's pretty typical, actually.)

emr454
06-17-2011, 15:51
For those who have tried this new rye, how does it compare to Ritt BiB? I was looking for Ritt but a local store has the new Bulleit. I'm assuming they are comparable in price? I can get Ritt BiB for $21.

Eric

Parkersback
06-17-2011, 17:45
For those who have tried this new rye, how does it compare to Ritt BiB? I was looking for Ritt but a local store has the new Bulleit. I'm assuming they are comparable in price? I can get Ritt BiB for $21.

Eric

They are night and day in taste, one reason being that Ritt has 51% rye (I think), and Bulleit has 95% rye. If I had to guess, I'd say Ritt is older, but I have no facts to back that up.

Ritt tastes a fair amount like bourbon: it's thick and somewhat sweet. Bulleit is thinner, fresher, more minty.

Here in NYC, on average RittBIB is about $21 and Bulleit is about $30.

I think Ritt is a fair amount better, regardless of the price. I've only had one pour of Bulleit, and I thought it was OK.

ebo
06-17-2011, 18:31
Having finally tasted the Rittenhouse... it tastes more like a high rye bourbon (to me) . The Bulleit is a very good pour, IMO. It definitely does not taste like a high rye bourbon. It is very minty, as some have noted, but it's a very good pour for the price. I'll buy it again, for sure.

emr454
06-17-2011, 19:39
Thanks fellas, I think I'm leaning more toward the Bulleit now as long as it's not more than $30 -ish.

Eric

emr454
06-18-2011, 18:35
Well I bit the bullet, and bought the Bulleit today (har, har!):lol:

It came to $38 after tax, and if it wasn't special ordered for me I would have never paid that much but you only live once, so what the heck?

It's definitely not as sweet as bourbon, and you can pick up the spice in the nose as well as the palate. I was expecting it to be a bit spicier for a 95% rye, but it was good nonetheless. Bulleit rye beats the pants off Old Overholt and JB Rye, although it's very similar to WT Rye.

I'm sure it would make a darn good rye and ginger beer, but $38 is a lot to pay for a mixer!

Eric

timd
06-19-2011, 00:09
It came to $38 after tax, and if it wasn't special ordered for me I would have never paid that much but you only live once, so what the heck?

Bulleit is an easy pick at $25, but I'd lose interest beyond that...

It's good enough, but for a "wintergreen liquor" - I'd opt for RR Rye over this (the only rye remotely close to Bulleit for mint flavor), esp. since RR Rye can be found for mid-$20's in a lot of places.

emr454
06-19-2011, 03:43
Bulleit is an easy pick at $25, but I'd lose interest beyond that...

It's good enough, but for a "wintergreen liquor" - I'd opt for RR Rye over this (the only rye remotely close to Bulleit for mint flavor), esp. since RR Rye can be found for mid-$20's in a lot of places.

Whats the rye content in RR Rye? The 95% rye in Bulleit is what got my attention.

Eric

craigthom
06-19-2011, 04:15
Whats the rye content in RR Rye? The 95% rye in Bulleit is what got my attention.

Eric

I think it's around 51% (the minimum), but I can't find confirmation.

White Dog
06-19-2011, 18:57

Eric

Yet another reason to sticky the "Whiskey Tree" thread. Anyone???:skep:

BFerguson
06-19-2011, 19:08
Scratch another of of the gotta buy list. Local store finally got it back in stock after a bit of short term out of stock. Pass on it the first time it came in, spring BTAC was out along with the experimental's, so my focus was elsewhere.

First impressions, not what I was expecting for being such a high rye mash. It actually took me for being a bit on the tame side. If didn't get the mint that many others tasted either, if it was there, it was pretty faint.

I'd call it having a slim body, not too surprising for being such a relatively young one. But this doesn't distract from it's beguiling overall taste. With the low proof, very mellow-again, with being almost all rye, not the spice, bite, and boldness from lesser percentage mash bills.

But man, is it drinkable! :grin: I had low expectations going into it, but am surprised in the end. i certainly will buy this again, good price point, good flavor, and a unique niche product in using to compare to others. Probably like others, i would like to see this in a older version, but am not going to hold my breath on it.

Not that my opinion counts, but I'd give it a "go ahead and buy" if somebody asked me.

B

Josh
06-20-2011, 07:20
Yet another reason to sticky the "Whiskey Tree" thread. Anyone???:skep:

According to Regan & Regan, the WT Rye is 65% rye, but according to Chuck's recent postings based on more recent information, it's another one of the barely legal ryes.

I wish we had something more official than that but that's what we got for now. I'll email WT and ask them directly this week. If they don't respond, I will keep the 65% up as the mashbill, but with an asterisk to Chuck's information.

White Dog
06-20-2011, 09:23
According to Regan & Regan, the WT Rye is 65% rye, but according to Chuck's recent postings based on more recent information, it's another one of the barely legal ryes.

I wish we had something more official than that but that's what we got for now. I'll email WT and ask them directly this week. If they don't respond, I will keep the 65% up as the mashbill, but with an asterisk to Chuck's information.

Don't hold your breath on a response, Josh. Every major Kentucky distiller would rather censor your tree, not provide clarity.:hot:

Shell
06-20-2011, 09:43

I wish we had something more official than that but that's what we got for now. ...

QUOTE=White Dog;251286]Don't hold your breath on a response, Josh. Every major Kentucky distiller would rather censor your tree, not provide clarity. ... [/QUOTE]

It would be great to get definitive insight to the mashbill rye % of most straight ryes. I had also heard that ~65% was common (other than the ryes with 95% & 100% statements) until Chuck's information. Unfortunately - as White Dog says - many distillers seem to feel this is 'proprietary' info.

This must be similar to bourbon: As I understand it, the corn % is generally ~65%-75%, but most bourbon distillers do not publicize it.

Shell - a rye and single-mail scotch enthusiast from Michigan

Josh
06-20-2011, 10:37
Don't hold your breath on a response, Josh. Every major Kentucky distiller would rather censor your tree, not provide clarity.:hot:

It would be great to get definitive insight to the mashbill rye % of most straight ryes. I had also heard that ~65% was common (other than the ryes with 95% & 100% statements) until Chuck's information. Unfortunately - as White Dog says - many distillers seem to feel this is 'proprietary' info....

Shell - a rye and single-mail scotch enthusiast from Michigan

I too wish there was more openess about this and many other things, but it's their right to keep it secret if they want to. I just wish they didn't want to. The only rye distillers who seem to be open about their mashbills are the ones who see a very high (95%+) rye content, presumably b/c they see it as a selling point.

cowdery
06-20-2011, 13:03
I think I got it from Jimmy or Eddie directly, the 51%. If rye comes up I always ask and that's always the answer everywhere.

When you're talking to a distiller, they'll almost always answer any question you ask and answer it honestly, with the caveat that it has to be something in their purview, i.e., people will sometimes ask them marketing questions and they usually don't know those answers. A lot of times the people who won't answer because they claim the information is proprietary don't actually know the answer or even understand the question, so they claim confidentiality instead of admitting they're an idiot.

Shell
06-20-2011, 14:24
I think I got it from Jimmy or Eddie directly, the 51%. If rye comes up I always ask and that's always the answer everywhere.

When you're talking to a distiller, they'll almost always answer any question you ask and answer it honestly ... A lot of times the people who won't answer because they claim the information is proprietary don't actually know the answer or even understand the question, so they claim confidentiality instead of admitting they're an idiot.

Good feedback as far as getting a direct answer. I often contact the marketing representatives and, as you say, they don't respond with a concrete answer.

timd
06-20-2011, 15:23
A lot of times the people who won't answer because they claim the information is proprietary don't actually know the answer or even understand the question, so they claim confidentiality instead of admitting they're an idiot.

If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.
Applies almost universally to any topic/area of discussion, doesn't it? :slappin:

FWIW: At a whiskyfest two years back, I asked lots of distillers about their mash bills, and most (but Jimmy Russel was a notable standout) were fully forthcoming - I was even typing what they were saying into my iPhone, and they didn't care - I was doing it for myself, I've never posted, shared, etc. - just stuff because I was curious about it (and Julian VW asked me to get the Old Fitz bill... but other than that...?:rolleyes: it was totally innocent).

I'd guess 9 out of 10 were thrilled to be asked the question. I may be naive, but at this particular event, it seemed that the distillers and top-dogs were as juiced to talk about their products as we fan boys were/are... Out of maybe 30-40 makers I talked to, only one was "aloof and distant," and most gave me more info than I was prepared to absorb (especially by the end of the evening!).

As long as it's for us fans, I really don't think the vast majority are that secretive...

Josh
06-20-2011, 15:24

Interesting, thanks for passing that along. I'll reverse who gets the *.

When you're talking to a distiller, they'll almost always answer any question you ask and answer it honestly, with the caveat that it has to be something in their purview, i.e., people will sometimes ask them marketing questions and they usually don't know those answers. A lot of times the people who won't answer because they claim the information is proprietary don't actually know the answer or even understand the question, so they claim confidentiality instead of admitting they're an idiot.

Well said.

cowdery
06-22-2011, 08:37
Well said.

I probably should have noted that such behavior is hardly limited to whiskey companies and their representatives.

Bourbon Boiler
07-28-2011, 19:22
If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit.
Applies almost universally to any topic/area of discussion, doesn't it? :slappin:

FWIW: At a whiskyfest two years back, I asked lots of distillers about their mash bills, and most (but Jimmy Russel was a notable standout) were fully forthcoming - I was even typing what they were saying into my iPhone, and they didn't care - I was doing it for myself, I've never posted, shared, etc. - just stuff because I was curious about it (and Julian VW asked me to get the Old Fitz bill... but other than that...?:rolleyes: it was totally innocent).

I'd guess 9 out of 10 were thrilled to be asked the question. I may be naive, but at this particular event, it seemed that the distillers and top-dogs were as juiced to talk about their products as we fan boys were/are... Out of maybe 30-40 makers I talked to, only one was "aloof and distant," and most gave me more info than I was prepared to absorb (especially by the end of the evening!).

As long as it's for us fans, I really don't think the vast majority are that secretive...

The handful of micro-distillers I have asked either in person or via email have been very forthcoming as well on ryes and bourbons. I'm guessing they see it as a selling point.

cowdery
07-30-2011, 00:40
One thing to ask yourself when someone claims the answer to your question is proprietary is, how could revealing the answer damage them? Does anyone think knowing Wild Turkey's mash bill is going to give their competition an advantage? If there seems to be no good reason for keeping it a secret, then you know something else is afoot.

OscarV
07-31-2011, 19:41
Does anyone think knowing Wild Turkey's mash bill is going to give their competition an advantage? If there seems to be no good reason for keeping it a secret, then you know something else is afoot.

Was that a rhetorical question or are you on to something?

cowdery
08-01-2011, 13:33
Was that a rhetorical question or are you on to something?

I'm not on to anything, it's just that people will pull out 'proprietary information' as an excuse for a question they don't want to answer for some other reason or for no reason at all.

Wild Turkey might like people to think their bourbon mash contains more rye than it actually does, for instance.

SMOWK
08-01-2011, 15:54
Finally finishing the last of my 1st bottle of this. Won't be replacing it. Makes a damn good Mint Julep, which is how I'm finishing the bottle, but it's not worth buying just for that reason.

Josh
08-01-2011, 18:05
Finally finishing the last of my 1st bottle of this. Won't be replacing it. Makes a damn good Mint Julep, which is how I'm finishing the bottle, but it's not worth buying just for that reason.

I think it does well with ginger ale and orange bitters too. I have yet to try it in a manhattan or Sazerac, but I suspect it would do well in either application. Decent sipper, better mixer.

cowdery
08-02-2011, 08:07
What orange bitters do you use? I was using Stirrings, but either they stopped making it or Binny's stopped carrying it. And I can't find Reagan's.

SMOWK
08-02-2011, 08:28
I use Fee Brothers. I can't compare it to anything else because it's the only thing I can find.

Josh
08-02-2011, 09:01
What orange bitters do you use? I was using Stirrings, but either they stopped making it or Binny's stopped carrying it. And I can't find Reagan's.

I use Fee Brothers. I can't compare it to anything else because it's the only thing I can find.

Angostura Orange is what I have. I got the bottle a couple years ago, but I still see it around. As Sky said, Fee Bros. also makes one.

IowaJeff
08-02-2011, 11:01
A restaurant here in DSM uses Bulleit for a cocktail with mint syrup, mint leaves, oranges and ice. Really refreshing in this this heat.

cowdery
08-02-2011, 12:57
Angostura Orange is what I have. I got the bottle a couple years ago, but I still see it around. As Sky said, Fee Bros. also makes one.

I should be able to find the Fee Brothers orange. I have their cherry, which I find a bit too on the nose.

White Dog
08-03-2011, 06:59
You should be able to find Bittercube Orange in Chicago.

emr454
08-07-2011, 19:15
As I near the end of my bottle of Bulleit rye, I'm liking it more and more. Initially, I felt the Ritt BiB was a better whiskey but now I'm finding more flavor in the Bulleit despite it's lower proof. I attribute this to the higher % rye in the mashbill(95%).

As far as taste goes, Bulleit wins IMO. But if you're talking price, Ritt is a better deal.

Will I replace this bottle once it's gone? I don't know. At $35 it's more than I expected to pay, and I can get Ritt for $19. FWIW, if the Bulleit was $10 cheaper I'd have no problems forgetting about Rittenhouse, and I'd be completely happy.

Eric

Shell
08-08-2011, 07:33
As I near the end of my bottle of Bulleit rye, I'm liking it more and more. Initially, I felt the Ritt BiB was a better whiskey but now I'm finding more flavor in the Bulleit despite it's lower proof. I attribute this to the higher % rye in the mashbill(95%).

As far as taste goes, Bulleit wins IMO. But if you're talking price, Ritt is a better deal.

Will I replace this bottle once it's gone? I don't know. At $35 it's more than I expected to pay, and I can get Ritt for $19. FWIW, if the Bulleit was $10 cheaper I'd have no problems forgetting about Rittenhouse, and I'd be completely happy.

Eric

I'm on my second bottle of Bulleit Rye - it has become one of my 'go to' favorites. Here in MI, it sells for an acceptable $24.95 (+6% sales tax) for a 750 ml bottle. And, I just noticed that a 1000 ml bottle is available (per the State liquor price list) for $32.97 (+6% sales tax). (These are the state retail minimum prices, which is the price most liquor stores will sell.)

Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond 100 proof Rye is not sold here in MI, but I picked up a bottle in Chicago for $19.99 + sales tax. I think the price differential of Bulleit Rye is well worth it.

I'm curious what state you're in, Eric, where Bulleit Rye is $35/bottle? It seemed like Bulleit was pricing their Rye in the low to mid $20s when it was released in early Spring.

emr454
08-08-2011, 07:49
I'm curious what state you're in, Eric, where Bulleit Rye is $35/bottle. It seemed like Bulleit was pricing their Rye in the low to mid $20s when it was released in early Spring.

I'm in NY, and I should have mentioned I paid $35 for the 1 liter (1000 ml) bottle. It really isn't a bad price for a quality rye, but being an unemployed college student I usually try to find the best bang for the buck.

Eric

Shell
08-08-2011, 08:08
I'm in NY, and I should have mentioned I paid $35 for the 1 liter (1000 ml) bottle. It really isn't a bad price for a quality rye, but being an unemployed college student I usually try to find the best bang for the buck.

Eric

The Rittenhouse BIB is the best choice for a rye <$20 - unless you can get your hands on Pikesville Rye. At ~12 for a 750 ml bottle and ~$18 for 1 litre, it is a great value for a crisp rye. Unfortunately, it's only available in 3-4 states. (There does seem to be a limited choice of good ryes for <$20.)

By the way, Sazerac Rye is ~$27 for a 750 ml bottle. It is a wonderful rye - more costly than Rittenhouse BIB & Pikesville, but exceedingly well worth if you can get your hands on it. (The distiller is having difficulty keeping up with the demand, so liquor stores sell out rapidly after receiving a shipment.)

emr454
08-08-2011, 08:21
By the way, Sazerac Rye is ~$27 for a 750 ml bottle. It is a wonderful rye - more costly than Rittenhouse BIB & Pikesville, but exceedingly well worth if you can get your hands on it. (The distiller is having difficulty keeping up with the demand, so liquor stores sell out rapidly after receiving a shipment.)

I keep passing by Sazerac when I'm at the store, but maybe it's time I give it a try.

How do you think it compares to the Bulleit?

Eric

Shell
08-08-2011, 08:35
I keep passing by Sazerac when I'm at the store, but maybe it's time I give it a try.

How do you think it compares to the Bulleit?

Eric

I find the Sazerac Rye to be a much smoother and more polished rye. The Bulleit Rye is a spicier, bolder rye. Both are great - each with a different personality. And, each will call to me differently depending on my mood.

The Sazerac Rye is in such short supply, I was able to score 2 bottles (after searching around for stores that had it on the shelf!). (One bottle is in the back of my liquor cabinet to savor, and I'm giving the second bottle to my son).

By the way, Wild Turkey Rye 101 proof is another good choice in the <$20 category. (In most places, it is usually around $17-$18, but here in MI it is priced at $21.)

emr454
08-08-2011, 11:46
By the way, Wild Turkey Rye 101 proof is another good choice in the <$20 category. (In most places, it is usually around $17-$18, but here in MI it is priced at $21.)

I've tried the WT rye and nothing really stood out as fantastic to me, but it's definitely better than Overholt and Beam rye. About a year ago it was $23 or $25 I believe. I should try it again soon as I feel my palate has developed some since then. I do remember it made a good rye and ginger beer though!

Eric

Shell
08-08-2011, 13:25
I've tried the WT rye and nothing really stood out as fantastic to me, but it's definitely better than Overholt and Beam rye. About a year ago it was $23 or $25 I believe. I should try it again soon as I feel my palate has developed some since then. I do remember it made a good rye and ginger beer though!

Eric

Wild Turkey Rye was not among my first choices (although it is a favorite of several on the board). Bulleit Rye, Sazerac Rye, and Pikesville Rye became my routine 'go to' spirits.

timd
08-08-2011, 16:22
I love WT 101 Rye... it's a great value. Big, bold and enjoyable. It's not a subtle rye.

Sazerac Jr. is my favorite "any day" rye - it's not the cheapest, but at well under $30, it's an outstanding whiskey that should be in everyone's bunker to enjoy.

I can get RR Rye for $25, and at that price, it's worth it every time.

Rittenhouse BIB, usually in the lower $20 range, is a great drink as well. I waffle between Ritt & WT for my favorite low-end Rye.

Saz Jr., however, is in a league of its own in terms of quality - not that I want to pay it, but it comes across as a mid-$30's quality rye, at least to me.

Of course Vintage Rye 21, Saz 18, and Thomas Handy are the pinnacles of flavor for Rye to me...

HP12
08-08-2011, 17:21
Of course Vintage Rye 21, Saz 18, and Thomas Handy are the pinnacles of flavor for Rye to me...

I would include the TPS Abraham Bowman Barrel Strength in the conversation as well.

emr454
08-08-2011, 20:22
None of the ryes I've tasted have been bad, bu some are just better than others. I feel Bulleit and Rittenhouse are my favorites thus far. One day I'll try the Handy Saz, baby Saz, Russel's Reserve Rye, Mckenzie, etc.

You know, now that I think about it, the more rye I drink the more I wonder why I spend so much time with bourbon.

Eric

Shell
08-09-2011, 06:35
...Of course Vintage Rye 21, Saz 18, and Thomas Handy are the pinnacles of flavor for Rye to me...

I haven't had the opportunity to enjoy these 3 - but they are on my list.

However, in the over $40 Rye category, I find the High West Rendezvous Rye to be a truly outstanding Rye.