PDA

View Full Version : New Japan member's liquor cabinet

Robmo
02-24-2011, 21:08
Howdy-- I live in Tokyo Japan...pretty new to whiskey drinkin', but this might, just might, be the best city in the world to sample whisk(e)y in all its varieties. The liquor stores here tend to have boubon/rye selections just as good as most US stores...

If anyone has any questions about whisk(e)y in Japan please ask me and I'll do my best to answer...definitely not an expert though!

Here's what's in my cabinet currently (in no particular order):
Blanton's (standard)
Four Roses (standard)
Evan Williams 7 y.o.
Basil Hayden
W.L. Weller Centennial*** (probably my favorite)
Old Overholt Rye
I.W. Harper (standard)
Black Maple Hill 18 year old rye (probably my biggest splurge purchase:grin:)

Of the Japanese whisky I've sampled I'd recommend Taketsuru 17 year old. My knowledge of scotch is extremely limited.

Other stuff in my cabinet: Luxardo Maraschino, Tanqueray No. 10, Glennfidich 12 year old, Angostura bitters, Campari and Kahlua.:grin:

Anyway, that's about it from here. Just thought I'd introduce myself and I look forward to many bourbon and rye interactions in the near future!

PS. I really don't know that much...I just know enought to get a rough idea of what I like. Right now it's all about sampling a lot of different things. Really looking forward to learning a lot about bourbon on here.

squire
02-24-2011, 21:49
Hey Rob, welcome aboard, that's a good cross section you have there. I expect you know the Centennial is a wheat recipe Bourbon and is also well liked among the SB members. If you like that style you will find lots to talk about here.

HighTower
02-25-2011, 02:18
Rob,

Welcome aboard! So, you've found the Weller Centennial.....not only it is fairly plentiful in Japan, it's cheap!! Buy all you can, while you can. THere's planty of gems to be found in Japan, but often they come at a price.
Blantons Gold os one of my favourites, and fairly easy to come by over there. Four Roses Platinum is also quite good.

Cheers

Scott

PaulO
02-25-2011, 05:29
I wonder, does Japan have a big stash of Centenial from years ago (when it was available in the U.S.)? The other possibility, BT still makes it for export?

Robmo
02-25-2011, 06:31
Nice to hear all that information about Centennial. I do agree I should probably stock up on a few bottles. It isn't easy to find, but I know one or two places here in Tokyo that carry it.

So I take it it's not too easy to find in the states?

As for prices in Japan a few items do get a premium markup but a lot of bargains here as well. On my last trip home I noticed the bourbon was more expensive stateside probably because of the exchange rate.

Parkersback
02-25-2011, 06:48
I misread the thread title & thought I was going to see or hear about a member of the Japanese president's cabinet who was a liquor afficianado.

Inthewater
02-25-2011, 08:07
Just out of curiousity, are you born and raised in Japan, or do you just live there now?

Interesting info you have there, and welcome to Straight Bourbon. :)

Inthewater
02-25-2011, 08:08
On my last trip home I noticed the bourbon was more expensive stateside probably because of the exchange rate.

Ahh, I guess I have an answer here, I didn't notice this before. Sorry.

Anyway, welcome! :grin:

imbibehour
02-25-2011, 10:15
One thing I do know... is that many Japanese have REALLY expensive tastes ;)

Welcome!

Parkersback
02-25-2011, 17:09
I misread the thread title & thought I was going to see or hear about a member of the Japanese president's cabinet who was a liquor afficianado.

Oh, and also, hello, and welcome, glad you are here.

spy247
02-25-2011, 18:07
Welcome Rob, nice selection you have there.

Have you toured any of the Japanese distilleries ? Maybe Hanyu ?

B.B. Babington
02-25-2011, 21:54
yep, Japan is a great place to sample the best. and the Japanese producers make a super great product, too. you may find it's as wonderful as Elysian Fields.

Robmo
02-26-2011, 01:25
Thanks for everyone for your warm and humorous words of welcome. I'm a US citizen who only recently came to appreciate the national treasure of bourbon. Better late than never, eh?

As for expensive Japanese tastes, I've noticed a lot of really expensive bottles over here that aren't available anywhere else. One example is the Royal Household Blended Scotch which sells for about $350 bucks. I tried to find some info about it on the Web but there was practically nothing. Apparently it's only produced for the Japanese market.

There's a lot of interesting stuff here on the bourbon side too...
There's a premium version of Booker's available exclusively at the upscale supermarket Seijo Ishi...it sells for about 3 times the price of standard Booker's http://www.seijoishii.com/d/42466

Very Olde St. Nick's also looks really interesting. Beautiful bottles. Haven't yet tried what's inside because it's pricey and there's only so much space on my liquor shelves at home. (Cramped Tokyo apartment!:grin: )

I would really like to get out and visit some of the Japanese distilleries and tour Scottland and of course Kentucky one day. Dreams, dreams...

B.B. Babington
02-26-2011, 06:11
in Japan, just because it's way more expensive doesn't mean it's way better. Japanese tastes have a peculiar way of driving prices higher than expected and beyond reason, look at the price of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee for an example.

Robmo
02-27-2011, 11:44
in Japan, just because it's way more expensive doesn't mean it's way better. Japanese tastes have a peculiar way of driving prices higher than expected and beyond reason, look at the price of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee for an example.

Very true. Which is why I'm not willing to shell out all that extra dough for the Seijo Ishi Booker's. At least not at my current pathetic salary.

Also in Japan I've seen standard (not "gold" or "silver") Blanton's range in price from 30 bucks up to over a 100 bucks a bottle, depending on where you buy it.

StraightBoston
02-27-2011, 13:36
Hi Rob. Welcome to the board!

A good next step in your bourbon education would be to seek out Craftheads in the Jinnan neighborhood north(?) of Shibuya station. The owner, Koji (a/k/a Michael), is a longtime member of SB.com, speaks great English, plays great tunes, and has an awesome selection of bourbon that you could sample before buying in the local bottle shops.

(Oh, and I just discovered his 100% Wagyu beef burger on a homemade bun -- ichiban!)

p_elliott
02-28-2011, 07:47
Yeah Rob hook up with Koji he's a cool dude.

chefnash51
02-28-2011, 12:04
So I take it it's not too easy to find in the states?

Very hard to come by. I have kept an eye out for several years and just was lucky enough to find some.

Buffalo Trace stopped selling that label 4 years ago or so. I'm sure someone else more facts on this. But stateside, it's not available anymore, unless you come across an old stock of it.

fishnbowljoe
02-28-2011, 15:22
Welcome aboard Rob. Not much I can add to what has already been said. So, have some fun and enjoy the site. I'm looking forward to your posts. Cheers! Joe

Robmo
03-01-2011, 07:18
Hi Rob. Welcome to the board!

A good next step in your bourbon education would be to seek out Craftheads in the Jinnan neighborhood north(?) of Shibuya station. The owner, Koji (a/k/a Michael), is a longtime member of SB.com

Thanks for that excellent tip! I'll try to check it out when I get a chance.

JB64
03-11-2011, 12:36
Robmo,

I hope you are out of harms way. I am sure you are busy but let us know you are OK when you get a chance.

Jim

soad
03-11-2011, 15:17
Robmo,

I hope you are out of harms way. I am sure you are busy but let us know you are OK when you get a chance.

Jim

+1 Hope you are safe.

fishnbowljoe
03-14-2011, 15:47
+1 Hope you are safe.

Ditto here too. Hope everything is okay. Joe

Robmo
03-15-2011, 04:18
Thanks everyone! I had posted on another thread that I was ok. Didn't mean to ignore your messages. Really appreciate the concern from the bourbon community.

My family and I were rocked just like everyone else in Tokyo and Northern Japan last Friday. Luckily we were far enough from the main danger zone that at worst we've dealt with some fear and inconvenience. Please be concerned for the people of Northern Japan. They've got it tough up there. Pour some Pappy or OGD, pray, meditate, do anything positive. Thanks!

HighTower
03-22-2011, 17:08
There's a lot of interesting stuff here on the bourbon side too...
There's a premium version of Booker's available exclusively at the upscale supermarket Seijo Ishi...it sells for about 3 times the price of standard Booker's http://www.seijoishii.com/d/42466

I asked Fred Noe about this after Seijo Ishi released it....he said Beam didn't want to do it at all, and SI said they would pay doulble what they normally pay for Booker's. From memory they got 3 barrels.
They had some labels left over (without the red Seijo Ishi branding on them) and did a small run in KY stores.
I do like the wooden box the Japanese version came in!

Cheers
Scott

Robmo
03-23-2011, 08:56
I asked Fred Noe about this after Seijo Ishi released it....he said Beam didn't want to do it at all, and SI said they would pay doulble what they normally pay for Booker's. From memory they got 3 barrels.
They had some labels left over (without the red Seijo Ishi branding on them) and did a small run in KY stores.
I do like the wooden box the Japanese version came in!

Cheers
Scott
Interesting! I agree the packaging is lovely. Have to admit I was intrigued when I first saw it! I don't know if it's worth it. Somehow I think my money is better spent on other stuff.

Gillman
03-23-2011, 09:12
This is available currently (or was when posted) at Old Town in Louisville.

http://kybourbon.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=592

Gary

Robmo
03-23-2011, 09:51
This is available currently (or was when posted) at Old Town in Louisville.

http://kybourbon.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=592

Gary
The site says $56.00 which sounds like a bargain. Cheapest I've seen it here is around 9,000 yen...over 100 USD.